Licensing And All That !

64 replies to this topic

#21 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

It would be a Pariah. "Get that thing away from me, you'll give away our position."

I think if the tech of later mechs is in the game, why not put them in. Timeline be damned. It doesn't mean a damn thing, but do the dev schedule for them. It's not like our mechs will be gated in CW due to their production gate. They won't even be gating Clan and IS. If they do, I would be surprised.

Edited by KOMMISSAR KITTY, 31 July 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#22 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 31 July 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

Most Battletech fans (like Star Wars fans, Star Trek fans, Warhammer 40,000 fans) are somewhat... skeptical when it comes to games just adding a bunch of new stuff to the universe, out of nowhere. Furthermore, Battletech fans are willing to pay a lot more for mechs they recognise from the older games or tabletop game, because of nostalgia.

I hope PGI will never just invent completely new mechs, and there's nothing to indicate they ever will, fortunately.

^this

there's so many mechs that aren't restricted that there's really no point. If they ever wanted to do the "unseen" mechs, well all they'd have to do is alter appearance a bit and there you go. Same hardpoints, just a different model

#23 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

Because the appeal of 80s franchises is nostalgia.

No one cared about hawken, and no one would care about BATTLELORD, DARKHAWK, SWARMER, SKULLBOT, or NO PELVIS GUY.

Posted Image

#24 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 08:46 AM, said:

^this

there's so many mechs that aren't restricted that there's really no point. If they ever wanted to do the "unseen" mechs, well all they'd have to do is alter appearance a bit and there you go. Same hardpoints, just a different model

Harmony Gold would drown PGI with legal costs if they included the hot handful. Even though they all got a Phoenix redo for the board game and Robotech will never have an online game, they'll attack PGI.

#25 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Harmony Gold would drown PGI with legal costs if they included the hot handful. Even though they all got a Phoenix redo for the board game and Robotech will never have an online game, they'll attack PGI.

They can't. If they make them look different there's no lawsuit to be had. It's not the mechs, it has always been their similar appearance to the mechas in Macross. Change the appearance, no lawsuit can be had

#26 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 31 July 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

It would be a Pariah. "Get that thing away from me, you'll give away our position."

I think if the tech of later mechs is in the game, why not put them in. Timeline be damned. It doesn't mean a damn thing, but do the dev schedule for them. It's not like our mechs will be gated in CW due to their production gate. They won't even be gating Clan and IS. If they do, I would be surprised.

So far PGI has been releasing mechs based mostly on whether or not they existed before 3050. Same with clan mechs I believe.

We will be getting mechs from the other eras when we get there. Especially considering time jumps will probably be a thing that happens. Otherwise, what are we going to do for the 3064-3067 time period? Sit down and twiddle our thumbs, waiting for the Jihad to start?

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

They can't. If they make them look different there's no lawsuit to be had. It's not the mechs, it has always been their similar appearance to the mechas in Macross. Change the appearance, no lawsuit can be had

That is absolutely correct

Edited by IraqiWalker, 31 July 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#27 Kram Nedgo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

One thing that I have read ... in thunder valley, I believe ... yes I have done a little home work ... was weapons in legs ... is this right ?

#28 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostKram Nedgo, on 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

One thing that I have read ... in thunder valley, I believe ... yes I have done a little home work ... was weapons in legs ... is this right ?

There are lots of robots with leg weapons, yes.

#29 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

crusader had SRMs in legs IIRC there's a few though

#30 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

Yep, those mechs are having a hard time being put into the game for now. Then again, that's conjecture on my end. I don't think the coding should have a problem with that. We have 2 slots open in each leg.

Tri and quad mechs also had weapons in the legs.

#31 xeromynd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 31 July 2014 - 08:42 AM, said:

What you don't want a Hollander?

Posted Image

Literally a gauss rifle with legs.

Oh my god it's beautiful

#32 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

View Postxeromynd, on 31 July 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Oh my god it's beautiful

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

You can also build it on a FS9-H. Almost perfectly.

#33 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 31 July 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:

Yep, those mechs are having a hard time being put into the game for now. Then again, that's conjecture on my end. I don't think the coding should have a problem with that. We have 2 slots open in each leg.

Tri and quad mechs also had weapons in the legs.

IIRC quads are bad juju for PGI which is why they aren't going to make them any time soon

View PostIraqiWalker, on 31 July 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hollander

You can also build it on a FS9-H. Almost perfectly.

First thing I did in Smurfy was build an AC20 and AC10 "urbie" with the FS lol

#34 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 31 July 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

I hope PGI will never just invent completely new mechs, and there's nothing to indicate they ever will, fortunately.

Yes, there is. I specifically asked the question in one of the ATD and they said they'd definitely consider it at some point in the future.

Personally. I think it would be refreshing to see what Alex could do unbounded by the strictures of the TRO's. Let's be honest: with the exception of the Unseen and Reseen, a good number (probably most) of the mechs created by FASA were universally terrible from an aesthetic standpoint. Don't get me wrong here: I still love some of the ugly mugs, but being hipster about driving the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile to work doesn't make it any less dorky.

"Canon" is what you make of it anyway. What is considered Star Wars canon is the product of the films, the books, the TV shows, comics, etc. In essence, it's whatever the creators or caretakers of the property say it is. MW/BT isn't any different. And, to be fair, would adding new mechs into the mix really distort any of the stories? No. So why get worked up over it?

And I say this as someone who first played this game called "Battle Droids" back in the 80's and have played just about every BT/MW game, board or video, ever since. My respect for established canon is immense.

Here's the ATD question:

http://mwomercs.com/...vs-41-answered/

Edited by Gallowglas, 31 July 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#35 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 31 July 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

Yes, there is. I specifically asked the question in one of the ATD and they said they'd definitely consider it at some point in the future.
Honestly. I think it would be refreshing to see what Alex could do unbounded by the strictures of the TRO's. Let's be honest: with the exception of the Unseen and Reseen, a good number (probably most) of the mechs created by FASA were universally terrible from an aesthetic standpoint.
"Canon" is what you make of it anyway. What is considered Star Wars canon is the product of the films, the books, the TV shows, comics, etc. MW/BT isn't any different. And, to be fair, would adding new mechs into the mix really distort any of the stories? No. So why get worked up over it?

1) Because there's a number of mechs people want to see already.
2) Because PGI sometimes make mistakes that, by accident, have a certain financial advantage. Such as making Timber wolves the best heavy mechs in the game, while simultaneously being some of the most expensive (only available through the second most expensive clan package, or 55 dollars a la carte). Which creates a certain skepticism when they go creating whole new mechs for the sake of generating new income.

#36 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 31 July 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

1) Because there's a number of mechs people want to see already.

Creating their own mechs doesn't have to detract from that. They've already said that it's not something they're doing anytime soon because there are so many established canon mechs to release. I don't think it's anything to get worked up over.

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 31 July 2014 - 10:52 AM, said:

2) Because PGI sometimes make mistakes that, by accident, have a certain financial advantage. Such as making Timber wolves the best heavy mechs in the game, while simultaneously being some of the most expensive (only available through the second most expensive clan package, or 55 dollars a la carte). Which creates a certain skepticism when they go creating whole new mechs for the sake of generating new income.

How does the whole "new mech" versus "re-envisioned mech" thing change any of that? It's entirely possible that the King Crab comes out as totally game-breaking. Either way it's "new" in the context of this game.

Edited by Gallowglas, 31 July 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#37 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostGallowglas, on 31 July 2014 - 10:43 AM, said:

"Canon" is what you make of it anyway. What is considered Star Wars canon is the product of the films, the books, the TV shows, comics, etc. In essence, it's whatever the creators or caretakers of the property say it is. MW/BT isn't any different. And, to be fair, would adding new mechs into the mix really distort any of the stories? No. So why get worked up over it?

because they enjoy the canon

Also, there's a reason Star Wars is throwing out all the "canon" form the books and such as they move froward with the new movies.

#38 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Also, there's a reason Star Wars is throwing out all the "canon" form the books and such as they move froward with the new movies.

When it comes to Trek, only think that can be considered "canon" is what shows up on the screen. I think it's the same with Star Wars too, lots of novels might be invalidated by the next three films.....

#39 Gallowglas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

My point is that there's no property that's ever static unless the creator is dead and nobody is allowed to touch their stuff. Canon has been rewritten every single time a TRO, game title, or book was released. The old canon simply adopts the new stuff. Yes, sometimes the creator says "this isn't part of the established canon", and that's fine. However, more often than not it's not defined. Things are ignored or not as the creators see fit. There are ways to handle such things delicately and respectfully without disrupting any love anyone has for established canon. Anyone who is looking forward to CW should realize that they're essentially going to be playing content that's contrary to canon at some level. Heck, the very fact that we may NOT see some mechs violates canon.

View Postcdlord, on 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

When it comes to Trek, only think that can be considered "canon" is what shows up on the screen. I think it's the same with Star Wars too, lots of novels might be invalidated by the next three films.....

So Rogue Squadron isn't canon? Clone Wars? SWTOR? If not, a whole heck of a lot of fans have embraced it regardless and Lucas has certainly given those things his blessing. "Canon" isn't always clearly defined.

Edited by Gallowglas, 31 July 2014 - 11:10 AM.

#40 Scratx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

No real reason to invent wholly new mechs when there are so many canon mechs to choose from. Not enough variants? Can be forgiven adding one or two to make up the 3 needed. But the mech itself exists.

Really, why make up new mech chassis entirely out of whole cloth?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users