• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 31 July 2014 - 12:28 PM, said:

When did I say it was suffering for a lack of non-canon mechs? All I said is that someday I'd like to see a few of Alex's designs in the game that aren't fettered by the FASA TROs. Don't read more into my words than that.

And if someone seriously hit their breaking point because Alex introduced a new design sometime after most of the core canon mechs have been handled, I might question their mental well-being, particularly if they had the double standard of not raging every time a new TRO got published.

You implied, or at least it seemed like it, that not going with new designs would be bad. I'm just pointing out why new designs are a bad idea. You wouldn't get nearly as much resistance once most, if not all of, the "iconic" mechs and the original designs are in the game I'd imagine but until then it's just not going to get much support.

#62 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 12:43 PM, said:

You implied, or at least it seemed like it, that not going with new designs would be bad. I'm just pointing out why new designs are a bad idea. You wouldn't get nearly as much resistance once most, if not all of, the "iconic" mechs and the original designs are in the game I'd imagine but until then it's just not going to get much support.

I didn't imply it, but you may have inferred it. Saying I'd like to see something happen and defending why it would be a positive thing is not the same thing as saying that not including that item is bad. I may want racing stripes on my Camaro, but not adding them doesn't make it a bad car.

Edited by Gallowglas, 31 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#63 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 31 July 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

I didn't imply it, but you may have inferred it. Saying I'd like to see something happen and defending why it would be a positive thing is not the same thing as saying that not including that item is bad. I may want racing stripes on my Camaro, but not adding them doesn't make it a bad car.

be defending it when the explanations are given that implies you think it's a good thing which would equate not having it to a bad thing. That's how I interpreted it anyhow.

Regardless, as I stated earlier, there's just way too much downside without any upside. PGI is more than efficient at putting out mechs though so I could see this happening when they run out of feasible canon units :)

#64 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

No, again: I may like pie. I may want pie. I may think the party would be better with pie. That doesn't mean the party is bad just because it has only cake, nor does it mean cake is bad. I can't really state my point more fundamentally, but we're debating semantics at this point.

Edited by Gallowglas, 31 July 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#65 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

View PostGallowglas, on 31 July 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

No, again: I may like pie. I may want pie. I may think the party would be better with pie. That doesn't mean the party is bad just because it has only cake, nor does it mean cake is bad. I can't really state my point more fundamentally, but we're debating semantics at this point.

I understand what you're saying, all I was trying to do was explain why it wasn't a good idea and how it would hurt the game.

Now with all of that said?

If they wan't "new" mechs, then hold a community design competition. We did that with mekwars. We introduced a few original designs form the player base over the course of a few years. We even had a couple of parody type builds like the santa claws mech. Stuff like that, in very limited fashion and engaging the community MIGHT get over, but as the norm? Not so much

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users