64 replies to this topic

#1 Kram Nedgo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

============================================================================

Licensing and all that.

I guess from other posts that I have read that there are a whole history of battlemechs out there waiting for their creation in the mwo universe ? But they are limited to a certain selection due to licensing, trademarks and other intellectual property "stuff" ...
My question is why not just circumvent the whole legal mine field and just create a whole new set of Battlemechs never seen before ... they could be discovered in a long lost factory or some sort!

If I have suggested something a kin to a dog poo sandwich please forgive me but "Battletech" is not a thing in my past and I have no great childhood real estate invested in it!

#2 AlmightyAeng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

There are SOME mechs that are problematic due to licensing from a company called Harmony Gold. Some of the original, iconic ones, in fact, sadly.

However, there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of other mechs that are NOT problematic. So, why put in more work making new mechs that arne't part of the IP (and that people will complain AREN'T lore) when you've got so many waiting for you to use?

That's why.

#3 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Most Battletech fans (like Star Wars fans, Star Trek fans, Warhammer 40,000 fans) are somewhat... skeptical when it comes to games just adding a bunch of new stuff to the universe, out of nowhere. Furthermore, Battletech fans are willing to pay a lot more for mechs they recognise from the older games or tabletop game, because of nostalgia.

I hope PGI will never just invent completely new mechs, and there's nothing to indicate they ever will, fortunately.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

There's a very small percentage that have some licensing issues. I think less then 10 or so, the other hundred plus are good to go.

#5 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:41 AM

It takes time and resources to create new things. It might be a good idea but when you already have loads and loads of content that's already created and part of lore, why create new things?

I guess if you wanted to create something totally new you can just don't call it Mechwarrior :)

#6 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:44 AM

wouldn't be averse to one or two new inventions, but realistically there are multiple hundred available mechs to choose from for implementation.

#7 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

View PostKram Nedgo, on 31 July 2014 - 07:13 AM, said:

Licensing and all that.

I guess from other posts that I have read that there are a whole history of battlemechs out there waiting for their creation in the mwo universe ? But they are limited to a certain selection due to licensing, trademarks and other intellectual property "stuff" ...
My question is why not just circumvent the whole legal mine field and just create a whole new set of Battlemechs never seen before ... they could be discovered in a long lost factory or some sort!

If I have suggested something a kin to a dog poo sandwich please forgive me but "Battletech" is not a thing in my past and I have no great childhood real estate invested in it!

I understand your suggestion, and it seems very logical. However, as the others have pointed out, we still, thankfully, have about 500+ mechs that haven't been introduced yet, that have NO legal problems.

The other factor is that BT is a huge IP, and very old. The fans can get .... FANATIC, about the game. I know that I will personally get p**** off if they added non-canon mechs. Much as I nearly blew a gasket with the way GW handled the new Imperial Guard Codexes (Astra Militarum my A$$). The only time fans will be okay with making up new mechs, is after we've added all other mechs, tanks, aerospace fighters, quads, tris, and so on and so forth. Oh I would honestly love the idea of adding some of the industrial mechs.

Basically, they have a few thousand items already created, and they can draw from them. We're getting 2(?) new mechs very soon actually.

The only ones with licensing issues are the ones Harmony Gold owns the license to, because HG makes Satan look like an altar boy. Those are barely 10 or so mechs, and we /can/ live without them. People will always want them in the game, but until MW:O becomes a massive title, one that can afford to get the rights from HG (or HG stop being stupid, and get some brain cells working), we're not going to see them.

On the other hand, if you want to learn some more about the lore, try Sarna. It's a great resource, and can teach you a lot about the thing all these crazy people (myself included) love.

#8 Fanatic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationColonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

huh?

#9 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

View PostFanatic, on 31 July 2014 - 07:56 AM, said:

huh?

If you're referring to my post. I did not mean you, when I said "FANATIC".

#10 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:16 AM

The last time a game utilized it's own mechs, while the mech designs were solid... it gave us stupid things...

LIKE LAVA CANNONS! [I'm not making this crap up.]

#11 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:19 AM

Ragnarok with shields. need I say more?

#12 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 31 July 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

You didn't, but someone did! LOL!

#13 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

View PostFlash Frame, on 31 July 2014 - 08:16 AM, said:

The last time a game utilized it's own mechs, while the mech designs were solid... it gave us stupid things...

I so wanted you to be making that up. Alas...

Posted Image

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

Mech Assault really messed things up.

#15 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

The licensing problem was actually dealt with, and the mech designs were returned to canon status (Project Phoenix, in the tabletop game). They were just given visual overhauls as to no longer bear a resemlbance to designs that were "borrowed" from other IPs or improperly licensed. Many of them are already in the game: Locust, Shadow Hawk, Battlemaster, Griffin, Wolverine, Thunderbolt.

The 12 mechs named in the initial lawsuit still seem to be considered "hot", however, and don't seem likely to reappear in ongoing canon despite any level of redesign. They are: Archer, Longbow, Rifleman, Warhammer, Wasp, Stinger, Phoenix Hawk, Crusader, Marauder, Stinger LAM, Wasp LAM and Phoenix Hawk LAM...none of which are in the game.

#16 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Let's not forget when people who don't know what they're doing get ahold of an existing mech design.

Posted Image

My heart bleeds for this poor atlas.

#17 PANZERKAT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

I'm sure there are some awaiting the Uziel. A dedicated PPC jump sniper.

#18 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Yes hello If we're making all new mechs I'd like to put a deposit down on an AC20 light mech that goes 160 KPH with 6 tons of ammo. Aka a cannon with legs

Edited by xeromynd, 31 July 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#19 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

View PostKOMMISSAR KITTY, on 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM, said:

I'm sure there are some awaiting the Uziel. A dedicated PPC jump sniper.

I've heard calls for mechs that are 3080's before... everyone's waiting on something from some point in the timeline.

Hell you know, I don't even mind if they start snagging old Star League desgins, we just need more mechs.

But we need more maps too.

And game modes.

and...and.

oh god this game's never going to shape up is it! WHAT AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE!!!!

T_T

ok...ok I think I have a handle on that... sorry guys, just, sometimes I forget the slow development pace of PGI... and when I remember...

View Postxeromynd, on 31 July 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

Yes hello If we're making all new mechs I'd like to put a deposit down on an AC20 light mech that goes 160 KPH with 6 tons of ammo. Aka a cannon with legs

What you don't want a Hollander?

Posted Image

Literally a gauss rifle with legs.

#20 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic