We Seriously Need A New Game Mode

140 replies to this topic

#1 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Lately I have been bored of mechwarrior. Its still the same game with only a handful of maps and game modes. We really need to spice this game up a bit. We should have a game mode where it is a free for all for 15 minutes, and when you die, you respawn. Highest score at the end of the match wins. Would definitely get more people to play the game and would probably boost sales as well.

So cmon PGI! Lets do it!

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

New games modes - YES
Respawn - NO

Respawn would essentially just boil down to "Assault Mech Deathmatch". There would be no reason to take anything else. There would be no penalty for dying, so people would simply fling themselves at the enemy, tactics and thinking be damned. Let's not revert here.

But you are right. This game has gotten extremely stale at times, and throwing a handful of new maps at the public would not solve the problem. The real issue is the stale gameplay, not the stale maps. Introduce a new gameplay mode that doesn't boil down to team-deathmatch, and suddenly these handful of maps that we have currently would take new meaning.

#3 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:30 AM

We need new game modes for sure, but I can think of a dozen that I'd prefer to respawn-based modes. Yuck

#4 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

The ONLY way I support a respawn mode in MWO is via the old "drop ship" system where you could take a selection of mechs to a battle up to a given total tonnage, and respawn in a new mech when destroyed (if you had any left).

With a limit of, say, 200 tons, you could take just two Atlases, or an Awesome, a Jagermech, and a Shadowhawk. Or a Jenner, a Firestarter, a Raven, a Blackjack and a Hunchback. Etc.

Brings real value to lighter mechs (particularly the lighter mechs in a weight class), and opens all sorts of interesting drop deck possibilities in organized play.

But just respawning and points? **** no. That totally "gamifies" the experience, and destroys any sense of immersion left while promoting terrible play.

Respawn is used in very low TTK shooters without persistent damage. You get shot, die, respawn; or win and heal very quickly.

Here, winning but being badly damaged means you have to look to future engagements differently. With respawns, running our of ammo or being damaged means you're better off just suiciding and getting refit to be able to better attack.

In short, no. Just no.

#5 Triordinant

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,495 posts
  • LocationThe Dark Side of the Moon

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

There are lots of other games I play where I can be a respawn warrior. MWO shouldn't be one of them.

#6 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Respawn mode - Hell no!

#7 Hinacle

Rookie

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

How about a game mod like MW4 Mercenaries's champion match?

#8 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 31 July 2014 - 08:51 AM, said:

The ONLY way I support a respawn mode in MWO is via the old "drop ship" system where you could take a selection of mechs to a battle up to a given total tonnage, and respawn in a new mech when destroyed (if you had any left).

With a limit of, say, 200 tons, you could take just two Atlases, or an Awesome, a Jagermech, and a Shadowhawk. Or a Jenner, a Firestarter, a Raven, a Blackjack and a Hunchback. Etc.

Brings real value to lighter mechs (particularly the lighter mechs in a weight class), and opens all sorts of interesting drop deck possibilities in organized play.

I like this idea. The whole point of the respawn mode is nonstop action. Sure its mindless fun, but hey at least its something different and you would be surprised at how fun it can be.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 31 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

New games modes - YES
Respawn - NO

Respawn would essentially just boil down to "Assault Mech Deathmatch". There would be no reason to take anything else. There would be no penalty for dying, so people would simply fling themselves at the enemy, tactics and thinking be damned. Let's not revert here.

But you are right. This game has gotten extremely stale at times, and throwing a handful of new maps at the public would not solve the problem. The real issue is the stale gameplay, not the stale maps. Introduce a new gameplay mode that doesn't boil down to team-deathmatch, and suddenly these handful of maps that we have currently would take new meaning.

View PostTerciel1976, on 31 July 2014 - 08:30 AM, said:

We need new game modes for sure, but I can think of a dozen that I'd prefer to respawn-based modes. Yuck

View PostTriordinant, on 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

There are lots of other games I play where I can be a respawn warrior. MWO shouldn't be one of them.

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 31 July 2014 - 08:55 AM, said:

Respawn mode - Hell no!

^this

#10 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostAlwrath, on 31 July 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

I like this idea. The whole point of the respawn mode is nonstop action. Sure its mindless fun, but hey at least its something different and you would be surprised at how fun it can be.
no, I would not be surprised.

This may come as a surprise to you, but I have in fact played other games.

The whole selling point of MWO as opposed to so many other games is that it's not mindless. If I had things my way, I'd go very far in the opposite direction, actually, and make it require much more thought.

If you want mindless mech fun, go play Hawken. Its a great game from what I hear, if you're into that sort of thing.

#11 Khan Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostAlwrath, on 31 July 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Lately I have been bored of mechwarrior. Its still the same game with only a handful of maps and game modes. We really need to spice this game up a bit. We should have a game mode where it is a free for all for 15 minutes, and when you die, you respawn. Highest score at the end of the match wins. Would definitely get more people to play the game and would probably boost sales as well.

So cmon PGI! Lets do it!

New modes oh hell yes.

Respawn OH HELL NO!

If you want respawn go back to playing Halo

#12 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Infinite respawns would quickly devolve the game into an enormous sh*tpile like Hawken.

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostAlwrath, on 31 July 2014 - 08:56 AM, said:

its mindless

you do realize many came to this game because it was called the "THINKING man's" shooter right?

#14 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

I wonder why i cant just charge in and shoot.

Anyways there is a new mode coming out called attack and defend.

#15 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 31 July 2014 - 09:16 AM, said:

I wonder why i cant just charge in and shoot.

Anyways there is a new mode coming out called attack and defend.

And hopefully we'll get that and more asymmetric modes like it in the future.

#16 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 31 July 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

And hopefully we'll get that and more asymmetric modes like it in the future.

no need to hope, It's in the works. I think that is a good mode to start with and seems to fit in the game. I do not know how they might go about doing other more halo style modes.

#17 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

New game modes should bring new battle types that reflect actual warfare/combat missions, not arcade games. That's really all there is to it.

I do understand that sacrifices need to be made to make game modes work well from a game design standpoint, because after all, this is a game. So, fairness and balance is required. As well, there's some more "gamey" modes that do work well and can be well dressed to work out as warfare (such as "King Of The Hill": Basically Conquest with only Theta; except being control of a key base) but just random silly respawning encourages very poor play that actively hurts the game.

View PostSandpit, on 31 July 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

you do realize many came to this game because it was called the "THINKING man's" shooter right?

And I'd say at least very many of us bemoan how LITTLE "thinking" there is, not how much.

#18 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Drop ship style mode *WAS* a game mode that was offered many months ago but I am not sure what happened to it.

#19 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostZyllos, on 31 July 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

Drop ship style mode *WAS* a game mode that was offered many months ago but I am not sure what happened to it.

last word was that it was cancelled and replaced with attack/defend as far as I know

#20 Hungry Hungry Hobo

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 74 posts
  • LocationRefrigerator box floating in space.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:51 AM

I been waiting for dropship mode with limited tonnages for years. PGI showed a dropship picture at the end of a devblog a while ago, but knowing them it was just for the community warfare user interface that will take another year or more to make it into game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users