Crytek Imposion... Does It Affect Mwo?

34 replies to this topic

#1 irony1999

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

CryTek has been assuring the public Everything Is OK, even as employees in the US and UK went without pay...

Looks like they are admitting they are in financial trouble:
http://www.tomshardw...heck,27352.html

They are selling off or shutting down their US and UK divisions, and cutting back to a skeleton crew for CryEngine support in US/Canada

Is this going to effect the MWO team's ability to support/develop CryEngine at all?

Edited by irony1999, 31 July 2014 - 09:09 AM.

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

No.

#3 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

of course it does

#4 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Why would it? The CryEngine is already implemented and inside MWO. The only way it *might* hurt the game is if CryTek went under totally, and then new features/releases didn't make its way into the engine. But even still, it depends on how often this game syncs with the CryEngine source and how many headaches that causes. In theory, this game could go forward on its current engine as long as the stakeholders pay the licensing bills.

#5 Critical Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 250 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

It won't have any effect on the game no. The engine will have been licensed for the game for several years prior to the alpha being spotted and even if Crytek goes the way of the Dodo, the engine will end up in new hands or it's license agreements will. Basically if the company goes, PGI just pay someone else for the rights to use the engine and that's if they are paying for the rights anymore, they may have made a deal to use the engine indefinitely.

#6 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 31 July 2014 - 09:12 AM, said:

Why would it? The CryEngine is already implemented and inside MWO. The only way it *might* hurt the game is if CryTek went under totally, and then new features/releases didn't make its way into the engine. But even still, it depends on how often this game syncs with the CryEngine source and how many headaches that causes. In theory, this game could go forward on its current engine as long as the stakeholders pay the licensing bills.

PGI's cryengine has very little to do with the real cryengine. It doesn't even have real DX11 support, and they long since rewrote it to be server based, rather than client based.

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 31 July 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

PGI's cryengine has very little to do with the real cryengine. It doesn't even have real DX11 support, and they long since rewrote it to be server based, rather than client based.

Exactly. Definitely nothing to worry about on this front. Game engines get recycled all the time. In fact, that's pretty much ID Software's entire business.

#8 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

PGI can do what it normally does without any help from Crytek

#9 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

No...it will not have any effect on MWO. While the game is based on the Cryengine code, PGI has essentially rewritten the engine.

It's like Bethesda (and many other studios, like mine) using the Gamebryo engine even though most of the code has been re-written. At that point, engine support is no longer required if you have your own software engineers.

#10 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Does this mean the engine is a "DEAD END"?

#11 Hillslam

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that clearly most of you aren't in the software industry leading dev teams and organizations. After 25 years of doing this, I can tell you it does affect the dev team. You lose engine support it impacts you. It doesn't matter how much you've extended the source.

But who cares?

The more important question is: will it affect the MWO players? No, I agree that's unlikely.

Edited by Hillslam, 31 July 2014 - 09:28 AM.

#12 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

This was already asked and answered. No it doesn't affect them and they have some sort of contingency plan if it did affect them.

#13 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostHillslam, on 31 July 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that clearly most of you aren't in the software industry leading dev teams and organizations.

That branch is going to snap, dude... :)

#14 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostHillslam, on 31 July 2014 - 09:27 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that clearly most of you aren't in the software industry leading dev teams and organizations. After 25 years of doing this, I can tell you it does affect the dev team. You lose engine support it impacts you. It doesn't matter how much you've extended the source.

But who cares?

The more important question is: will it affect the MWO players? No, I agree that's unlikely.

PGI hasn't been subscribing to crytek support for a very long time. What would crytek even do for them? Tell them to properly implement DX11 and turn the graphics back on?

#15 orcrist86

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

If they ever had to jump to another engine I would bet on Frostbite, but Id tech could a consideration. Not worried though.

#16 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

View Postorcrist86, on 31 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

If they ever had to jump to another engine I would bet on Frostbite, but Id tech could a consideration. Not worried though.

I wish everything was done in some kind of Frostbite. Even windows so i can make it crumble when i feel like it.

#17 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

View Postorcrist86, on 31 July 2014 - 09:53 AM, said:

Yeah, no, they can't afford that.

#18 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:20 AM

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding of how game development works in this thread.

You don't "jump" to another engine...not when you've invested years of completely re-writing an existing engine. Many people seem to think PGI has just skinned or modded the engine and that they can swap out the engine for a better one. That's not how it works.

PGI has invested a great deal of time and money re-writing the engine so that it suits their needs and can be used independently from Crytek. Crytek could completely vanish and it wouldn't make a lick of a difference; MWO will keep on ticking.

If they were to switch engines, it would basically mean starting from scratch. That ain't gonna happen.

#19 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 31 July 2014 - 09:33 AM, said:

PGI hasn't been subscribing to crytek support for a very long time. What would crytek even do for them? Tell them to properly implement DX11 and turn the graphics back on?

you always make me chuckle sir

#20 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Greetings all,

With reference to CryTek and 'Possibly' loosing some support for MWO.

From another thread, the US office was closed, but not before most if not all the employees either quite or just didn't show up for any further work. That's places quite a few, 30 to 50 engineers of various talents on the market. Most have been 'snapped up' by other developers but this still needs to be looked into by PGI. Having actual CryTek system developers working for PGI only speeds up anything related to engine work.

PGI has mentioned before that the time frame between there problem questions and reply's from CryTek could take month's in some case's. And by the time the issue is addressed they have changed/altered the MWO engine or found there(PGI) own solution.

Similar issues were happening at RSI/Star Citizen until they outright hired a CryTek 'evangelist' engineer. What used to take days or longer to 'get into the engine' this 'evangelist' could have in and working in hours or less. PGI take note, the costs and engine knowledge for the engineer outweigh any lengthy timeframes delaying all the other MWO system developers.

9erRed

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users