The "new, Improved" Awesome: Is It Enough?

BattleMechs Balance Metagame

85 replies to this topic

#21 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Actually, "anything playable" may be true in the Underhive, but bad mechs and bad builds still get ate alive against decent PUGs and Casuals, which, contrary to the MetaLords opinion, do exist.

Posted Image
I don't know what underhive means.

Edited by FearNotDeath, 31 July 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#22 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Awesome is better, but frankly the mech is so poorly designed that it doesn't matter that much. Wide torso, low mounted hardpoints distributed far away from each other, low engine cap and horrid turning rates make this mech very unattractive.

It's still a "I'm bored with MWO and I'm looking for a challenge" mech.

View PostYokaiko, on 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

Won't matter when Paul chops PPC velocity below an AC10.

Your Awesome will be shite regardless.

Fortunately Awesome can mount other energy weapons and quirks apply to them too.

Edited by Tahribator, 31 July 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#23 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

well aren't you the special one.

Not asking about what Homeless Bill or anyone else has proposed int he past, present or future, Prez, but for input on what we got NOW.

I know. I'm commenting on your post about Paul's first suggested mechanic of "energy load". I also posted a similar response in the official thread.

I don't mind that he's talking about alpha strike limiting mechanics. The proposed one is complicated, doesn't apply to all weapons equally, and is secondary to Ghost Heat... also an alpha strike limiting mechanic.

My whole point was that Homeless Bill's TC load mechanic did all of that, with a single mechanic that was easier represent to the player while inside the game.

In short... if they're going to add an "energy load" mechanic why not make it more universal and ditch ghost heat.

As for the AWS, it seems like a tougher mech to fight. In stock matches it's actually pretty mean as well, though only at medium to long range.

Edited by Prezimonto, 31 July 2014 - 11:53 AM.

#24 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

View PostTahribator, on 31 July 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

Awesome is better, but frankly the mech is so poorly designed that it doesn't matter that much. Wide torso, low mounted hardpoints distributed far away from each other, low engine cap and horrid turning rates make this mech very unattractive.

Low engine cap? 9M can equip a 385 engine, not exactly low...

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostSandslice, on 31 July 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Even 12 ERML Nova Prime, which doesn't generate more heat than 4 ERPPC (but for Ghost Heat) and deals more damage? :)

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 31 July 2014 - 11:40 AM, said:

I guess not all of us are meta-hawks.

Not desiring to run something blatantly busted is pretty far from being a metahawk.

#26 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 31 July 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

Low engine cap? 9M can equip a 385 engine, not exactly low...

He meant the other 5

#27 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostSandslice, on 31 July 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

Even 12 ERML Nova Prime, which doesn't generate more heat than 4 ERPPC (but for Ghost Heat) and deals more damage? :)

even without GH, 12 ER Mlasers will cook you fast.

#28 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

After careful analysis ™, I must conclude that the awesome has risen from locust tier (pointless and a liability) to hunchback tier (obsolete and bad, but almost functional), but I wouldn't recommend new players buy them.

#29 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:24 PM

Iv bumped into a crapton of AWS, CN9 and a handful of DRG today and my verdict is as fallows:

AWS - In a skilled pilots hands, the changes are nice but it still dosnt dance well enough to protect its vulnerable torso, in a fire support role they can do pretty well but if they draw attention the pain comes pretty quick. Not recommended for new pilots at all. but even a skilled one can get steamrolled by another assault if the terrain dosn't favor them.

CNT - seems mobile and durable enough, cant complete with stormcrows however but with a good sized autocannon/SRM compliment can stand up to a Nova quite well.

DRG- The worlds fatest medium has returned, though in the market of big boned girls the nova gives the DRG a run for her money, unfortunately even with a massive XL engine the dragon is little more than a hill humper or second line rusher; exposed to early fighting almost always sees dragons deader than a doornail. The new boost to ballistics rate of fire and ballistics heat would help the DRG boat lighter autocannons.....except we just nerfed the piss out of the range and ROF on those.

#30 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

even without GH, 12 ER Mlasers will cook you fast.

It's 60 heat. You shouldn't immediately shut down from a 60-heat alpha. It's not comfortable; but for an 84-damage flanking shot...

#31 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostSandslice, on 31 July 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

a. It's not comfortable; but for an 84-damage flanking shot...

You die to ghost heat

#32 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

Well I have been driving awesomes since the start of my time in closed beta, only one I still own is the 9m with a max 385xl engine in it, but a fun little fact is that even tho I am a self proclaimed light pilot fanatic I have had more drops in my 9m awesome than any other Mech.

Well I took it out after the patch with its usual 1LL 3ML 2srm4 srm6 ams many dhs 85kph build and the heat and the ct resistance was very noticable so much so that I actually went back to try my old fav build 3LL 1ML 2srm4 srm6 ams that I haven't touched since ghost heat and it went really well.

Now if only the arm/shoulder shield hotboxes could be tweaked so I could torso twist incoming damage away from my side torsos.

And if cbills allow one day I might just rebuy my old fully mastered 8T awesome and rebuild it to its old 2lrm15 4LL tag days.

Oh also I have never ever been a ppc on my awesome kind of person.

#33 rageagainstthedyingofthelight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 306 posts
  • LocationTerra Therma, shut down

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think its much improved on certain variants, and now there's never an excuse not to run 2 PPC on them. On Alpine, 2 LL run heat neutral, so suddenly the 8Q is an option (it was until now the only Awesome I had sold and never bought back).

But I was running them before the change, and I'll run them after. I get massive damage in pugsville, and get my 3-5 in the competitive play depending on load out.

I think its much improved on certain variants, and now there's never an excuse not to run 2 PPC on them. On Alpine, 2 LL run heat neutral, so suddenly the 8Q is an option (it was until now the only Awesome I had sold and never bought back).

But I was running them before the change, and I'll run them after. I get massive damage in pugsville, and get my 3-5 in the competitive play depending on load out.

Also, I've been phasing out XL's on my Awesomes, because now you actually lose a side torso before your CT, which is a weird feeling, let me tell ya.

#34 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 31 July 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

After careful analysis ™, I must conclude that the awesome has risen from locust tier (pointless and a liability) to hunchback tier (obsolete and bad, but almost functional), but I wouldn't recommend new players buy them.

How does one rise from Locust tier when Locust is god-tier? :)

#35 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

that is IF Paul does that. Speaking up against it, would be advisable, as that is indeed one of the dumbest nerf ideas, in the long history of dumb nerf Ideas, Paul has proposed.

You know, the fun list of bad nerfs/ideas Paul has proposed is always growing and has not stopped. Putting it to a deathmatch vote would be fun!

#36 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

View Postrageagainstthedyingofthelight, on 31 July 2014 - 01:22 PM, said:

Also, I've been phasing out XL's on my Awesomes, because now you actually lose a side torso before your CT, which is a weird feeling, let me tell ya.

I have been considering this for the past year

#37 Kaox Veed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 158 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Had fun in my 8Q last night. 3 PPC 1 mlas ams 300std. Was careful and didn't shut down much, even on Terra therma. Can't lead the charge on the enemy team but great for fire support and second line work

#38 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

You know, the fun list of bad nerfs/ideas Paul has proposed is always growing and has not stopped. Putting it to a deathmatch vote would be fun!

How he still has that position is a mystery.

#39 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 31 July 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

... I'd love to see this poll. Seriously. I honestly don't know which would come out on top, though I suspect Ghost Heat would simply for being probably the most well known.

#40 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:12 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 31 July 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

... I'd love to see this poll. Seriously. I honestly don't know which would come out on top, though I suspect Ghost Heat would simply for being probably the most well known.

How about "normalizing" of the pulse lasers (specifically, the LPL), and "normalizing" of the ACs? Then again, Ghost Heat took the AC2 away more than the current AC2 nerf.

Oh, the memories.

Edited by Deathlike, 31 July 2014 - 02:12 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users