The "new, Improved" Awesome: Is It Enough?

BattleMechs Balance Metagame

85 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Obviously, with no JJ and Ballistics, to our Meta-Overlords, it will always be a scrub mech, for BADs, unless we see a serious sea change to the state of the Meta. So, no, I'm not asking if it's becoming all the range in Comp12 matches.

I'm more interested in what the other 99% have seen.

Does the CT boost and energy cooldown make a difference? Is it now playable for PUG matches, and casual play?

What are the builds you are toying with, which variant, if any do you feel is the standout? Has Pretty Baby actually become playable? This will probably be my dry run on the AWS-8Q

And as an aside, what about the other "quirked" Mechs?

IMO:
the CT of the Dragon needs a similar boost to the AWS.
Love the Left Arm armor for the Centurion
Hunchback should have gotten an armor boost to the RT, also.
Could the Victor get nerfed any harder? (and in all the wrong ways, still?)

#2 Yokaiko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM

Won't matter when Paul chops PPC velocity below an AC10.

Your Awesome will be shite regardless.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

He wants to turn it into the Mooninite Quad Laser.

#4 FearNotDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 305 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Does the CT boost and energy cooldown make a difference? Is it now playable for PUG matches, and casual play?

They are welcome changes but boating only energy is still a weak link. It's playable in PUG matches and casual play but then again anything is.

Might have to wait for a new weapon like thunderbolt missiles or something to fire when the energy weps are cooling down. Had some fun firing 2 ppc's on cold maps almost indefinitely.

#5 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

No.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

View PostYokaiko, on 31 July 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

that is IF Paul does that. Speaking up against it, would be advisable, as that is indeed one of the dumbest nerf ideas, in the long history of dumb nerf Ideas, Paul has proposed.

The other option, is
The Mechanic:
A Gauss Rifle is a charging weapon.
A PPC is a heavy energy draw weapon.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 1 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot cannot fire both PPCs simultaneously.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
In the case of a 2+ PPC - 2 Gauss equipped 'Mech, the following will happen:
If the pilot charges 2 Gauss Rifles, no PPCs will be able to fire.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.

which while overly convoluted, would be a heck of a lot better than a snail pace PPC.

#7 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

Obviously, with no JJ and Ballistics, to our Meta-Overlords, it will always be a scrub mech, for BADs, unless we see a serious sea change to the state of the Meta. So, no, I'm not asking if it's becoming all the range in Comp12 matches.

I'm more interested in what the other 99% have seen.

What are the builds you are toying with, which variant, if any do you feel is the standout? Has Pretty Baby actually become playable? This will probably be my dry run on the AWS-8Q

stuff

With a lack of space for DHS's, both with a wasted LA hand actuator (prevents another DHS there) and the 300 max. Engine (only 2 internal DHS's there) the Buff do not change the Awesome enough really.

Your build is at 29% heat efficiency. Unless you stand back ALL game and never get challenged and are forced to perhaps "trigger" more than you'd like, Heat is still you worst enemy in an Awesome.

The BT Awesome was a 3 PPC based specific build. In MWO, even using the vaunted 2-1-3-1-2 firing mode, the one the Pilot could sustain, it ain't happening in MWO given the allowable recycle times. Yes it is the Pilots responsibility but when your locked and loaded...

P.S. I have not heard about a PPC velocity reduction. Anyone have a Link. Ahhh, ok. I get it. A douche' just doing its thang... right... To bad it isn't funny.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostFearNotDeath, on 31 July 2014 - 11:11 AM, said:

They are welcome changes but boating only energy is still a weak link. It's playable in PUG matches and casual play but then again anything is.

Might have to wait for a new weapon like thunderbolt missiles or something to fire when the energy weps are cooling down. Had some fun firing 2 ppc's on cold maps almost indefinitely.

Actually, "anything playable" may be true in the Underhive, but bad mechs and bad builds still get ate alive against decent PUGs and Casuals, which, contrary to the MetaLords opinion, do exist.

#9 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

I was having fun with the 8R; LRM50 is pretty devastating down to 200M, and an SRM24+A along with a pair of LLs and MLs will hurt up close.

It has nearly the same CT armour as my Banshees, and with a STD engine, it doesn't die quickly, but certainly not good hitboxes.

The 9M has the 4 CT hardpoints; 2 missile and 2 E; on top of the head laser, so I've had fun with that one. Pair of SRM4s in the CT can be a surprise for people when they stick you.

They're a fun mech, not necessarily a good mech, but not terrible with an STD engine.

#10 Yokaiko

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,775 posts

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

that is IF Paul does that. Speaking up against it, would be advisable, as that is indeed one of the dumbest nerf ideas, in the long history of dumb nerf Ideas, Paul has proposed.

The other option, is
The Mechanic:
While the Gauss Rifle charges, the pilot can only fire 1 of the PPCs. Choice is the pilots.
If the pilot decides to fire 1 PPC, there is a 0.5 second period in which the 2nd PPC cannot be fired.
This PPC lockdown effect lasts for 1 second after the Gauss Rifles have fired or auto-discharged.

which while overly convoluted, would be a heck of a lot better than a snail pace PPC.

....and the poster childfor daft design will do both, remember when we shouted down ghostheat? Yeah.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 31 July 2014 - 11:16 AM, said:

With a lack of space for DHS's, both with a wasted LA hand actuator (prevents another DHS there) and the 300 max. Engine (only 2 internal DHS's there) the Buff do not change the Awesome enough really.

Your build is at 29% heat efficiency. Unless you stand back ALL game and never get challenged and are forced to perhaps "trigger" more than you'd like, Heat is still you worst enemy in an Awesome.

The BT Awesome was a 3 PPC based specific build. In MWO, even using the vaunted 2-1-3-1-2 firing mode, the one the Pilot could sustain, it ain't happening in MWO given the allowable recycle times. Yes it is the Pilots responsibility but when your locked and loaded...

P.S. I have not heard about a PPC velocity reduction. Anyone have a Link. Ahhh, ok. I get it. A douche' just doing its thang... right... To bad it isn't funny.

http://mwomercs.com/...ctive-feedback/

Lots of builds run on far less, and Mechlab heat efficiency rarely tells the whole tale. v At long range, when you cut out the Medium lasers, it is running 39% heat efficiency, which is fine,, and actually better if one is chaining weapons. In CQB, it's running 51% heat efficiency, without the PPCs, which is plenty, and while not a match for a DireWhale, 3 mediums and 2 larges is a decent punch.

View PostMcgral18, on 31 July 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

I was having fun with the 8R; LRM50 is pretty devastating down to 200M, and an SRM24+A along with a pair of LLs and MLs will hurt up close.

It has nearly the same CT armour as my Banshees, and with a STD engine, it doesn't die quickly, but certainly not good hitboxes.

The 9M has the 4 CT hardpoints; 2 missile and 2 E; on top of the head laser, so I've had fun with that one. Pair of SRM4s in the CT can be a surprise for people when they stick you.

They're a fun mech, not necessarily a good mech, but not terrible with an STD engine.

Yeah, it still is a barn door, so no XLs for those who like to live a little while.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 31 July 2014 - 11:21 AM.

#12 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm having fun in my Awesomes for the first time in a looong time. An awesome having nothing to do with a gauss/ppc combo I certainly hope there are no changes when run without a ballistic.

#13 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

I never stopped playing and enjoying my Awesomes. Funny to see all the band wagon jumpers coming back.

#14 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

The other option, is
The Mechanic:

I also don't mind the general idea of that mechanic. But then why not just go with Homeless Bill's TC load idea, which is essentially the same thing, but applied universally.

Additionally, I hope the AWS, as a mech purpose built to fire 3PPC's get's a quirk that lets it still fire 3PPC's.

#15 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

In the past, I've criticized PGI for going too far with their attempts to balance the game. Like doubling LRM damage, then reducing it to a quarter, then multiplying it by ten.

This time, they're more cautious, which I like. But small changes is only a good thing if they're frequent. I hope we don't have to wait 2 more years for another Awesome buff, which it still needs. It's still very, very far from being a top assault mech, or even more dangerous than the lighter heavy mechs.

I also want this:
  • Dragon CT armor buff
  • Catapult LRM buff, and reward K2 pilots for putting weapons in their arms instead of their side torsos.
  • Locust heatsink buff
  • Atlas armor buff

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM

View PostTrevor Belmont, on 31 July 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I never stopped playing and enjoying my Awesomes. Funny to see all the band wagon jumpers coming back.

well aren't you the special one.

View PostPrezimonto, on 31 July 2014 - 11:25 AM, said:

I also don't mind the general idea of that mechanic. But then why not just go with Homeless Bill's TC load idea, which is essentially the same thing, but applied universally.

Additionally, I hope the AWS, as a mech purpose built to fire 3PPC's get's a quirk that lets it still fire 3PPC's.

Not asking about what Homeless Bill or anyone else has proposed int he past, present or future, Prez, but for input on what we got NOW.

#17 Mavairo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I can get 11 continuous alphas out of this...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd926fb6f901181

Not tried it in live fire yet but that's alot better than it used to be.
(armor distribution has been altered from it's in game state to protect my vitals! :) )

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

View PostNicolai Kabrinsky, on 31 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

In the past, I've criticized PGI for going too far with their attempts to balance the game. Like doubling LRM damage, then reducing it to a quarter, then multiplying it by ten.

This time, they're more cautious, which I like. But small changes is only a good thing if they're frequent. I hope we don't have to wait 2 more years for another Awesome buff, which it still needs. It's still very, very far from being a top assault mech, or even more dangerous than the lighter heavy mechs.

I also want this:
  • Dragon CT armor buff
  • Catapult LRM buff, and reward K2 pilots for putting weapons in their arms instead of their side torsos.
  • Locust heatsink buff
  • Atlas armor buff

Agreed. And heat reductions aside, it, and in fact ALL stock loadouts, should be "Ghost Heat free".

#19 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Agreed. And heat reductions aside, it, and in fact ALL stock loadouts, should be "Ghost Heat free".

Even 12 ERML Nova Prime, which doesn't generate more heat than 4 ERPPC (but for Ghost Heat) and deals more damage? :)

#20 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 July 2014 - 11:28 AM, said:

well aren't you the special one.

I guess not all of us are meta-hawks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users