#21 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 31 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

View PostMickey Knoxx, on 31 July 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

Last couple games walked up to enemy timberworlf's with nothing but lrms and tag. I felt so sorry for those TBs, who the hell does that??

Prey.

But yeah, not carrying other weapons outside of lurms is a VERY bad thing.

Edited by Bartholomew bartholomew, 31 July 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#22 Billygoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 298 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

I wish they were.

Unfortunately, when I bring out my Raven and start slinging NARCs around, at least 50% of the time there is not a single LRM to be seen on my team and most often when there are, it's just a small launcher or two on a clan mech with some free tonnage.

So mostly I end up just putting pretty red icons on the bad guys while I peck at them with my lasers.

#23 Henree

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 501 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

I lob lurms and have noticed a drop in done damage so I don't know. It is however true that timberwolves seem very lurm susceptible. Once they are engaged, lockon and support your assaults and they drop like flies. Maybe some people expected to be immune to IS weapons and maybe the tactics became better.

#24 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

I don't like PPCs and their TRUE pinpoint damage, lets get rid of them!

I don't like Gauss Rifle with almost no heat and no minimum range, let's get rid of it!

I don't like CERLLaser with their 2 K range, lets get rid of it!

See how absurd things can get if we allow every whiny baby to have their way? LRM is integral part of MWO, it is going no where.

Seriously though, that CERLLaser range is BS.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 July 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#25 GrizzlyViking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationMarik

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostGayang3, on 31 July 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

Did they recently buff the LRMS? I have seen a whole funkton of LRMs since about a week ago. What did they change?

LRMs are not an issue when planned for. The new radar deprivation module is essential if you plan to be playing in enemy LOS frequently and AMS helps. If you have enough AMS ammo the AMS modules also help, but they use much more ammo when the modules are equipped. Or you have to play more like you would really be killed if your mech died...in other words, plan ahead. Preview the terrain and consider where the enemy is likely to present. Make sure you have cover not far away and do not set up anywhere there is no cover. Oh...and finally, don't be the last guy in the rear of your team, the guy out in front of everyone else, or the guy that is separated from everyone else. Use these recommendations and you will find LRMs to be of little consequence in most matches.

#26 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

The only time I have them in my games are Timberwolves, Cats or that occasional DDC.

I wish they would get buffed!! That would really help out a lot of mechs.

#27 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 31 July 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

The only time I have them in my games are Timberwolves, Cats or that occasional DDC.

The problem is, there are too many Timberwolves per match. And unlike Catapult LRM boats--which I love to pilot, these Timberwolves have significant amount of back up weapons up close.

Mere 3.5 tons for CLRM15 is insanely efficient. Even if less missiles are actually hitting the target due to Clan stream fire, CLRMs still have the shakes and the psychological effect to scare the less than competent puggers. And unlike IS LRMs, these LRMs can still shake you from just 30 meters away, making it a decent brawling weapon as well.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 July 2014 - 07:37 PM.

#28 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:40 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 July 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

The problem is, there are too many Timberwolves per match. And unlike Catapult LRM boats--which I love to pilot, these Timberwolves have significant amount of back up weapons up close.

Mere 3.5 tons for CLRM15 is insanely efficient. Even if less missiles are actually hitting the target due to Clan stream fire, CLRMs still have the shakes and the psychological effect to scare the less than competent puggers. And unlike IS LRMs, these LRMs can still shake you from just 30 meters away, making it a decent brawling weapon as well.
You just need to use a bit of strategy :).

#29 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

No, it was a nerf and LRMs do area damage not pin-point. Now they only damage what they hit so technically they have to score a hit to do damage to a section rather than say spreading from both side torsos into the center torso as well. Now only those missiles hitting the center torso itself will do damage to it. So they are less deadly now, but if you always run laterally right to evade them they may focus on one leg each hit.

#30 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 July 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

You just need to use a bit of strategy ;).

The problem is, in MWO that Raven would be 3L and the Lurmer T-Wolf will most likely pop a UAV and call for support rather than to chase the Raven.

#31 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 July 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

The problem is, in MWO that Raven would be 3L and the Lurmer T-Wolf will most likely pop a UAV and call for support rather than to chase the Raven.

I don't know who you play with, but when I pug the games are full of suicidal squirrel chasers.

#32 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

View PostSephlock, on 31 July 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I don't know who you play with, but when I pug the games are full of suicidal squirrel chasers.

Sometimes I actually enjoy having a few squirrel chasers...

They're great at holding enemy mech pilots attention while I slip behind them and give them red-hot sibco'esk loving. ;)

#33 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

LRMs feel balanced to me. I get gunned down by ballistics FAAAR more than lrms.

#34 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

View PostRoadkill, on 31 July 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

That wasn't a nerf, that was a slight improvement. Prior to that patch LRMs could sometimes do no damage to a moving Mech that they hit because the explosion happened after the impact but the Mech could actually move out of the blast radius before it took damage.

Now missiles do pinpoint damage, meaning that they instantly do their damage to the point on the Mech that they hit.

Didn't they just remove the splash damage?

So, instead of potentially dealing 2.2 damage per missile due to the tiny 5 CM splash, it will now always deal 1.1 damage without any splash, thus pinpoint to whichever component it hits?

Pretty minuscule change.

#35 Sean von Steinike

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 31 July 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

People are pulling out their LRM mechs because they're the only way to shoot enemies out of line of sight of 50 point direwolf alphas.

Or they could dance around a Direwhale in just about any other mech in the game.

#36 FlyingMonkey

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrange County California

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:20 PM

Gotta say, its really getting frustrating to me... Ive been seeing many, many more LRMs recently... Its getting to the point where massed lrm fire shreds anyone whos not a speedy light or hiding behind a building half the match. Not a hater by any means, but giant lrm slugfests just arent fun IMHO...

#37 Tyman4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationSpace Time

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostGayang3, on 31 July 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

wow, it has gotten that bad? Why would anyone make a LRM only timberwolf when the clans have such awesome weapons and the TB has such agility and speed to out maneuver almost any IS heavy/assault.... just WHY??? ;)

Because the only thing better than an LRM boat is a FAST LRM boat...and every other weapon system which is direct fire and has no hard counter equipment like ECM....and throwing rocks...

Tyman

#38 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

Heh, the thing you don't realize is for a lrm boat to "shred" a heavy/assault target is a large amount of ammo. Fresh DIre Wolf is easy 2 maybe 3 tons ( 380- 540 missiles, he was a disconnect and had a bad angle). Us lrm guys are investing in a very low yield weapon damage. Unfortunately, I run my lrms in higher elo matches. However, I still run them. I understand why lrms in top level are shunned its to little damage for the effort to keep target, arty and air to just as well in mass.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 31 July 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#39 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

LRMs also take huge amount of time to actually kill the target. Ever since the Clan mechs came out, I had spent hundreds of missiles to bring a single vat-born mech to 20% and it keeps functioning. Clan invasion is actually a nerf to LRMs due to the spread damage nature of the weapon system and the durability of Clan XL engine.

Edited by El Bandito, 01 August 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#40 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostGayang3, on 31 July 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

NOT trying to start a war of words, but just imagine if all the players LRM boated and hid in the bushes, we would have no game. ON the flip side if everyone ditched LRMs and other "fight from the bushes" weapons and tactics and went for a good ole brawl-out, the game would be 100X better for everyone.

Just saying...

I personally don't find letting people shoot me fun. I prefer to use tactics to shoot others with as little return fire as possible (I'm not an LRM boater).

Oh, and if everyone used "bushes" and tactics there would be a game. It's called World of Tanks.

Edited by Wolfways, 01 August 2014 - 01:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users