Make It So That Gauss Rifles Do Not Explode Unless Charged

13 replies to this topic

#1 Smegmw

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

Since the Gauss Rifle fires solid metal slugs, with neither propellant nor explosive, Gauss Rifle magazines are not susceptible to ammunition explosions. However, if the weapon itself is struck by enemy fire, the capacitors that power the electromagnets will release their stored energy, with an effect similar to an ammo explosion.

Edited by Smegmw, 31 July 2014 - 05:10 PM.

#2 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:08 PM

Hmmm, not a bad idea. I wouldn't argue against...unless someone can come up with a reasonable argument against it.

#3 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

If the Gauss Rifle could only explode when charged, it would leave a very small window for it to be destroyed in, otherwise negating one of the major cons of taking a Gauss Rifle.

#4 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

In general I like the idea.

But physics/electronics-wise (and please correct me if I am wrong here science people) doesn't the idea of a gauss rifle work like this:

Battery ---> capacitor ----> magnetic relay actually in the barrel

Therefore, the battery charges the capacitor for the sudden spike of power, the capacitor releases the charge to the electro-magnets when fired.

Obviously, the capacitor has that sudden release which I assume is the problem with the explosion... but you still have the battery in the gun too. Couldn't the battery explode? Or are we assuming that there is no battery and it pulls directly from the engine?

#5 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:54 PM

View PostKatotonic, on 31 July 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

But physics/electronics-wise (and please correct me if I am wrong here science people) doesn't the idea of a gauss rifle work like this:

Therefore, the battery charges the capacitor for the sudden spike of power, the capacitor releases the charge to the electro-magnets when fired.

Obviously, the capacitor has that sudden release which I assume is the problem with the explosion... but you still have the battery in the gun too. Couldn't the battery explode? Or are we assuming that there is no battery and it pulls directly from the engine?

I'd assume the capacitor would charge from the fusion engine. I say that because a battery would be redundant, why store in a battery, to store in a capacitor?

#6 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 July 2014 - 11:41 PM

Making regular ammo explode at 90% instead of 10% would make a big difference as well. There are mechs stuffed full of ammo that rely on luck to get through.

#7 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

View PostDraykin, on 31 July 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

If the Gauss Rifle could only explode when charged, it would leave a very small window for it to be destroyed in, otherwise negating one of the major cons of taking a Gauss Rifle.

That was rather the point of the capacitors being able to be powered down, as described in BattleTech itself (specifically, on page 102 of Tactical Operations).

"Though an extremely effective weapon, the Gauss Rifle has one major drawback: it will explode if struck by enemy fire. Under the following optional rules, however, a Gauss Rifle can be 'powered down' to prevent an explosion."

#8 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostKatotonic, on 31 July 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

It could go directly from power plant -> capacitor -> magnetic relay system

And they don't describe if this is a Coil Gun or a Rail gun, both get the terminology for Gauss rifle, but the physics and mechanics behind how they fire the projectile differ a bit. I've always assumed it's a coil gun from the circular barrel shape rather than two parallel rails in the art depiction, but the rails could always be hidden inside the mech.

#9 Xanezz

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

The way it works currently is anchored in lore.

Since the Gauss Rifle fires solid metal slugs, with neither propellant nor explosive, Gauss Rifle magazines are not susceptible to ammunition explosions. However, if the weapon itself is struck by enemy fire, the capacitors that power the electromagnets will release their stored energy, with an effect similar to an ammo explosion. (In game terms, a critical hit on a Gauss Rifle is equivalent to a 20-point ammo explosion.) Some 'Mechs employ CASE in the section containing the Gauss Rifle to protect internal components in the event the weapon explodes.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Gauss_Rifle

If you die by your gauss rifle exploding a lot, consider using case.

The weapon is still a little too common (as in every second DWF is using two of them); removing drawbacks will only lead to more FLD builds employing it.

Edited by Xanezz, 01 August 2014 - 08:59 AM.

#10 Katotonic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 August 2014 - 05:56 AM, said:

That was rather the point of the capacitors being able to be powered down, as described in BattleTech itself (specifically, on page 102 of Tactical Operations).

"Though an extremely effective weapon, the Gauss Rifle has one major drawback: it will explode if struck by enemy fire. Under the following optional rules, however, a Gauss Rifle can be 'powered down' to prevent an explosion."

So maybe we do not need the "only explode when charged" thought from the OP but a toggle-able option to turn off a Gauss? With a requisite long (10 seconds? 15?) power up/down? That way if you see you are about to be in a brawl, turn off, brawl with no risk (or use of said gauss), then when clear, turn on but not immediately switchable.

#11 Xanezz

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostKatotonic, on 01 August 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

So maybe we do not need the "only explode when charged" thought from the OP but a toggle-able option to turn off a Gauss? With a requisite long (10 seconds? 15?) power up/down? That way if you see you are about to be in a brawl, turn off, brawl with no risk (or use of said gauss), then when clear, turn on but not immediately switchable.

Sure, suppose that would be nice, but I feel like thats a very subjective thing, and not many people wil lconsider this a bigger problem than other ones this game has currently. Spending time on implementing this is probably wasted time in the eyes of a lot of people.

Again, if you find yourself being blown up by your gauss rifle exploding, theres a fix for that: C.A.S.E.

Edited by Xanezz, 01 August 2014 - 03:21 PM.

#12 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

View PostKatotonic, on 01 August 2014 - 09:39 AM, said:

Such a toggle assumes that the Gauss Rifle is auto-charging and would need to be manually set to an alternate, powered-down state.

Since the MWO Gauss Rifle is not auto-charging anymore & PGI probably has no plans or intention to revert the Gauss Rifle charge mechanic, such a toggle would be unnecessary.

#13 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

I would be in favor of this, since they put in that weird time-delay fire mechanic for these things. If one must wait for the capacitors to be charged before one can fire, it makes a certain amount of sense that it not explode unless they are.

#14 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 01 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

I like this idea.

View PostDraykin, on 31 July 2014 - 07:05 PM, said:

The current major con of taking said rifle is that you have to charge it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users