• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

As a team, light them up for LRMs.

1v1, same as any Clan 'Mech come at them anyway but head on.

#102 SniperCzar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 96 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

As someone who has played nothing but DWFs since they came out... DWFs are allergic to LRMs and long range cERLL fire. If you do happen upon a chainsaw dire up close, focus his side torso and spread your weapon shots/cooldown out for maximum shake and blinding effect. LBX is optimal for this and shreds any ammo cans they may have inside. If you are behind one, the right leg is sometimes a better target. It usually has two ammo cans and trimmed armor, and a legged DWF will quickly be eaten by lights and LRM fire.

I rarely have problems with chainsaw dires, just today I took out 3 lords DWFs (2 chainsaw, 1 Gauss/PPC) with my own DWF build (4xLBX5, 4xcERML, 1xcGauss) and I've dropped three at one time in Crimson's tunnel before.

Rock em till you drop em.

#103 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

View PostArc Viper, on 31 July 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

I've been having a problem with figuring out how to go up against direwolfs with meta builds (6 UAC combo). If you have ever stepped in front of one while it's shooting 6 UACs at you, you know it shreds your armor almost instantaneously.

The only tactic I've garnered so far is to just shoot them when they are not facing me, too busy shredding somebody else. I've learned to never look one in the eyes. But what do you guys aim for? Do you have any specific strategies to take one down?

use cover and leg them.

//end thread

#104 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostKhobai, on 04 August 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

this. no mech in the game is a match for a direwolf 1v1. the easiest way to take down a direwolf is to attack it from multiple angles, and always have a mech behind it firing into its back.

False. It's up to player skill.

#105 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Two words:

Ninja DDC.

#106 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

If you're face to face with one, your likely already dead. Come at them any way but head on, as fast as they think they might be with speed tweak, unless you yourself are in a direwolf, you are likely faster. That is their greatest weakness.

#107 Mark I3

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:50 AM

Direwolf... awesome fun and very difficult to play successfully

as prev stated it is horribly slow and with a dreadfull turn and arc but it has massive weapons capability

With regards to this, i have found that the best play style with it is 'artillary support platform'

basically you stand off the frontline, select your target and drop the world on them.

I have found a good easy load out is 4 x C er ppc and 2 C UAC5's

the ppcs you have 2 on each mouse butten and chain selected and the uac's on butten3 ochained as well.

full armour and the rest of your slots/weight as heat sinks.

on chain fire, you will be able to fire 6 - 8 single ppc shots before you get heat warnings so then you switch to uac and follow it up with a hail of shells. Keep firing uac til your heat drops right down and open up with ppc again. Rinse and Repeat.

NOw, ppl will be saying, dont chain the weaps, BUT unchained the weaps will heat very quickly and eave you defensely vunerable.

In the real world, this level of firepower would be called blanket fire or supression fire, its big, its loud and its going to force everyone in the target area to wind their necks in. This then gives the rest of the friendlies enough time to reposition, reorganise etc etc.

This technique is absolutely devastating in an enclosed area like a tunnel or city blocks where movement is limited.

You will not win a battle on your own, you will not make massive damage but you can give enough your team good support enough to win.

This is not theory, this is what i have learnt since i bought the direwolf a week ago.

Good mods are the advanced zoom for ranched strike and accuracy and the radar blackout to help with the lrm problem.
also an extra ton of ams ammo, 4Kshells is good protection.

Another thing that keeps being mentioned is going head to head with it... why would you do that?

At the start of a battle, all the lights and mediums rush off to scout and die quickly.. the heavies follow up soon which leaves the assaults to turn up sometime next wednesday...

In any battlegroup, the the lighter vehicles protect the heavies, in return the heavies/assaults produce the firepower...

Working as a team is not rocket science, and the actions of 'go it alone' wannabe rambos have lost more battles than won.

If you cant get your lance to stay together, then pick a teammate and stay with him, he will soon realise what is happening and this system WORKS

Edited by Maxxeh, 02 September 2014 - 04:47 AM.

#108 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 01:52 AM

Dire whale and friends eaten for lunch in 4v4 fight starting at 1 min mark: http://youtu.be/2odB4JpKnXM

For a heavy mech, the key is to use terrain and timing to limit exposure to return fire. That and shoot the side torsos.

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 02 September 2014 - 01:55 AM.

#109 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:09 AM

Also try to be patient. Not every engagement has to end with a dead mech. Learn to set up successive trades where you are doing more damage to them than they are doing to you. Soon they will be limping or dead even if not by your hand. Don't get greedy and dont get lazy.

Here at 7:10 i win a trade vs a decent direwhale pilot and immediately move away from my last position to deny him the chance at a second trade. I didn't finish him but left knowing hes less of a threat to the team now that his ct is stripped.

MWO MechWarrior Online - Back from the brink of d…: http://youtu.be/GHt1CxVZSls?t=7m10s

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 02 September 2014 - 11:07 AM.

#110 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

6xUAC5 on a Dire Wolf is beyond overpowered. Remember when 6xAC2 on a Jaggermech were nerfed because they were apparently "a griefing tool"? 6xUAC5 does not need a macro to grief: just press the button once to fire 18 rounds that will rock the enemy like a ragdoll. Then press the button again for ultra mode - and send up to 18 pellets downrange. Congratulations, you've just dealt 60 points of damage for a measly 14 heat.
And you've got 42 damage laser alpha on top of that.

Bilbo says he can beat a DW in an Atlas 1vs1 fight, because he torso twists since closed beta. Try that against someone equally competent piloting a Dire Wolf. Atlas is great at torso twisting, it can soak literally hundreds of shots using arms, side torsos and damage reduction mechanic.
But the DW has so much firepower that it is actually beneficial to leg an Atlas. It cannot shield its legs, you can hit them form any angle, and there is no damage reduction. On the second laser salvo the DW will already be chewing trough leg internals, with a huge chance to detonate that volatile AC20 ammo (140 Expl. Damage) & SRM (150 Expl. Damage) ammo. That's even better that aiming for LT/RT since the Atlas has 104 HP Arms to use as shields.

Edited by Kmieciu, 02 September 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#111 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

The Dakka ones you can peek at, if you're the one controlling the peeking. The GAUSS+PPC abominations not so much. The trouble is, it is very hard to have anything but an even trade of damage with a Whale if you're driving anything but another Whale, and it has the armour to trade with you all day.

My tactic is to always treat them as a priority target, but only if they aren't looking at me. If you have a choice of targets, ALWAYS go DireWolf. If the wolf is looking at you, don't meet it's eyes. Hide, and wait for a better target. You don't HAVE to test it's mettle, you CAN chose to kick it in the crotch when it isn't looking.

#112 Pecosdude

• Pip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

On one unimaginable situation, I was in a direwolf (2xUAC10, 2xUAC2, 2xSSRM6, 6xCERsml-las), 95% health, when a light mech decided to fight me head on, almost point blank range, stationary. :D

Duh.

#113 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 02 September 2014 - 03:12 AM, said:

6xUAC5 on a Dire Wolf is beyond overpowered. Remember when 6xAC2 on a Jaggermech were nerfed because they were apparently "a griefing tool"? 6xUAC5 does not need a macro to grief: just press the button once to fire 18 rounds that will rock the enemy like a ragdoll. Then press the button again for ultra mode - and send up to 18 pellets downrange. Congratulations, you've just dealt 60 points of damage for a measly 14 heat.
And you've got 42 damage laser alpha on top of that.

Bilbo says he can beat a DW in an Atlas 1vs1 fight, because he torso twists since closed beta. Try that against someone equally competent piloting a Dire Wolf. Atlas is great at torso twisting, it can soak literally hundreds of shots using arms, side torsos and damage reduction mechanic.
But the DW has so much firepower that it is actually beneficial to leg an Atlas. It cannot shield its legs, you can hit them form any angle, and there is no damage reduction. On the second laser salvo the DW will already be chewing trough leg internals, with a huge chance to detonate that volatile AC20 ammo (140 Expl. Damage) & SRM (150 Expl. Damage) ammo. That's even better that aiming for LT/RT since the Atlas has 104 HP Arms to use as shields.

If you're doing 6xUAC5s right, you would have NO other weapons, because you need the space for the ammo.

Also, to be extremely specific here. 6xUAC5 DWFs are only good, when facing stationary targets, or those inside tunnels in front of them, that can't/don't move sideways. Soon as you start moving sideways, you can easily beat that DWF.

An Atlas will easily out-maneuver a DWF. The fact that they can soak a lot of damage, means they can get close enough to only be hit by the weapons on maybe one side, and then, they can just take that side off, and become completely untouchable to the DWF pilot.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 02 September 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#114 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 02 September 2014 - 06:18 AM, said:

If you're doing 6xUAC5s right, you would have NO other weapons, because you need the space for the ammo.

Also, to be extremely specific here. 6xUAC5 DWFs are only good, when facing stationary targets, or those inside tunnels in front of them, that can't/don't move sideways. Soon as you start moving sideways, you can easily beat that DWF.

An Atlas will easily out-maneuver a DWF. The fact that they can soak a lot of damage, means they can get close enough to only be hit by the weapons on maybe one side, and then, they can just take that side off, and become completely untouchable to the DWF pilot.

I'd go so far as to say that running 6xUAC5 "right" isn't the best idea in the world. I slapped THIS together this morning, and it does ok. I consider the inability to swing the arms from side to side a flaw, so I tried this out on a lark. First match i was in, a lightly damaged Hunch crested a ridge in front of me and I cored him in one salvo. Overheats a bit if you don't watch yourself, but it's reasonably solid.

EDIT: Helps if I actually insert the link into the text, doesn't it?

Edited by Escef, 02 September 2014 - 07:00 AM.

#115 Stickjock

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,687 posts
  • LocationPetal, MS

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 04 August 2014 - 08:45 AM, said:

2xGauss 2xERLL 6xERML + TC2 in the CT. Lots of burn time, but if you're within 700 meters of me, your life is going to be hell if you stand still.

94.50 firepower, the trade off, is that it's on a DWF, I have had matches that literally ended with me not getting to the fight in time to do anything.

I sympathize with you on this one Iraqi... have had some great drops in my DW build like this... then again... I've had those drops where the entire team scoots off leaving me alone only to be swarmed under in a matter of seconds... LOL...

ah well... nature of the beast isn't it... :blink:

#116 Enigmos

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Any DWF 6 C-UAC5 loadout carries insufficient ammo to be viable over a whole match. C-UAC-5
give heatspike above three weapons. The only way around that is either chainfire two at a time or put three on left mouse and three on right mouse. At that point you would compare the damage output over time to two gauss and the tonnage involved argues strongly for gauss.

Any Atlas will fall over like a tree if you alpha his left eye (the one to your right). Same with any mech, but the cockpit may be less obvious or more difficult to hit.

Every mech has an equalizing weakness, and the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Edited by OriginalTibs, 02 September 2014 - 07:15 AM.

#117 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostOriginalTibs, on 02 September 2014 - 07:07 AM, said:

Any DWF 6 C-UAC5 loadout carries insufficient ammo to be viable over a whole match. C-UAC-5
give heatspike above three weapons. The only way around that is either chainfire two at a time or put three on left mouse and three on right mouse. At that point you would compare the damage output over time to two gauss and the tonnage involved argues strongly for gauss.

Any Atlas will fall over like a tree if you alpha his left eye (the one to your right). Same with any mech, but the cockpit may be less obvious or more difficult to hit.

Every mech has an equalizing weakness, and the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

WTF are you talking about? The heat spike for firing 6xUAC5 is a whooping 1.08 point of additional heat! 7.08 instead of 6. Even if you panic and use the double shot right away, you will generate 23.80 heat for 60damage@630meters . That's roughly the same as firing 2x IS AC20 together (23.52 heat), but the IS only gets 40 damage@270 meters.

If you wait 0.5 second between salvos, you will only generate 14.16 points of heat for 60 damage. Firing 3xUAC20 does the same damage, for 75.60 heat. 6xUAC5 is a clear exploit of the ghost heat system.

Don't get me wrong: I hate ghost heat. But at least it should be fair and penalize all kinds of high-alpha damage.

Edited by Kmieciu, 02 September 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#118 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:39 AM

Take a commando and keep hitting from the rear and/or sides. The other day I got in a 1 v 1 with a Dire Wolf in my Commando 3A. Most everyone else in match was dead, so I got to just walk slowly, staying just ahead of his movement speed and popped one torso, then by the time he found a wall for his back, the other torso was cherry read and popped with one more shot.

Dire Wolves pack a stupid strong punch but they move like a 30LB dog pulling 100LBs of bricks.

#119 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

sry fail

Edited by salkeee, 02 September 2014 - 11:06 AM.

#120 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 02 September 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Are you even in the right thread? Title of this thread:

Meta Direwolfs - How Do You Beat Them?

LOL dude I was just lost trying to figure out U did got my mistake right on. sry I will delete previous post.

ops ty

EDIT: DAM now I cant delete ur quote can I ?

Oh my I was never smart bbut will I look lika a fool now ?

Fun times fun times

Edited by salkeee, 02 September 2014 - 11:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users