#81 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 07 August 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

(Head ammo is also the last to be drawn on. So make sure it's your most used weapon's ammo, or AMS ammo)

Iirc, head ammo is always the first to be drawn. Then it's CT, STs (forgot which one first), then Arms (again, fixed order but I forgot which) and then Legs (you know the drill).

Edited by SethAbercromby, 08 August 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#82 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 08 August 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

Iirc, head ammo is always the first to be drawn. Then it's CT, STs (forgot which one first), then Arms (again, fixed order but I forgot which) and then Legs (you know the drill).

Not in this game. CT ammo is first, then the STs, then the ARMs, and then the LEGs, and LAST is the HEAD

#83 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

I always park my ammo under the pilot seat if I'm using any. A clean headshot is game over, may as well make it a good show.

When in my hexenbeast I hate the sight of a Jenner, Commando, Firestarter or Spider. Locusts, I largely ignore unless I'm getting LRM rained on.

In a brawl the Hexenbeast is really good at takiing on a couple of targets at once BUT they HAVE to be bunched up in front. you alpha a shot into each switching between targets every second to keep them all rocking around and blinded then drop arty/airstrikes on the ground at their feet. Its brutal but soooooo much fun! I jam alot but have never jammed all 6 at once.
I usually aim center mass or groin if its a light (to CT OR leg them, happy with either) and if they stop moving then I aim for the windows to blind and panic them and maybe remove the head as a bonus. I really like to get in close so its loud and violent.

A good point to note though is the DW gets hung up on the tiniest bit of rough terrain. I just grinds to a halt on a rock or a little ledge. Then you have to start turning until it moves again or start backing up, both of which takes time. Its almost like they shuffle along and dont really lift their feet up off the ground. So hugging hills and ledges and buildings are a good idea if you are trying to outrun or out flank one. Seeing one grind to a halt next to a bump in the ground is a good time to drop arty on or right behind one too. We wont be able to move away in time.

Edited by Keira_NZ, 08 August 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#84 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

I just killed one in my Battlemaster in one of the most hilarious matches I've ever experienced.

DWFs suffer greatly from the Atlas syndrome. Their weapons are so low slung that they have trouble shooting past ledges on terrain with great height differences, especially when shooting upwards. The map was Canyon Network, both teams were down to two 'Mechs. To get a kill on the last halfway operabe 'Mech in our team, the DWF had to drop down into the ridge. I was down to 2 medium lasers in my BLR-1G, our Thunderbolt had just run out of ammunition and we were on one of the ledges next to the DWF in the D4 area, but despite his still formidable loadout, he was unable to hit me properly, so I backed into a position that put the large rock between us so he had to get closer to even try hitting me. Once he passed the point of no return, I used the shoulder mounted MLas to take pot shots at his shoulders while all his weapons would impact with the wall in front of him. An ammo explosion put him out of his misery.

The hilarity of the match however came from the enemy Summoner that managed to cut off my reamaining ST with his final salvo of missiles and it took all of us a while to realize that no one was able to do any damage any more. The summoner was nice enough to follow us back to base to get killed by the turrets, but I admire his stubborness in attempting to ram me to death as a final act of defiance.

#85 GunnyKintaro 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Cry to PGI and they will nerf them..... :D

#86 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

View PostAH Osprey 02, on 09 August 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Cry to PGI and they will nerf them..... :huh:

shhhhh

#87 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

NEVER Ignore a Locust when in a DireWhale, unless you have friendly support. I was piloting the Missile Build (Quad SRM2's) Locust for the Steiner Challenge, and I single-handedly have taken down three DireWhales during that time. One Meta, one Dakka, and one Quasi-Meta. The Quasi-Meta was the only one that did any real damage to me, due to his Dual S-SRM 6s, and only because I mis-judged my throttle at one point. The other two managed to do minor leg damage, due to stepping on me repeatedly, but because the Locust is so damned small, you can literally sit right underneath them, and they can't do anything about it. At one point I was under the nose of the Dakka-whale, and he stood there blazing away, with all of the rounds going clear over the top of my mech. Missed me by at least 3 centimetres.

#88 cranect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

I went up against one in my quickdraw earlier. As long as you move over 90 kph you can stay out of the reach of their guns most of the time. Also if you can get the drop on one shoot one of its torsos off and then keep the blown off torso towards you if you can.

#89 Brut4ce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLand's End

Posted 10 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

Meta Direwolfs - How Do You Beat Them?

Call Paul!

<S>

#90 Delta One

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:25 AM

View PostTim East, on 04 August 2014 - 02:47 AM, said:

What? 1v1 is practically the only way to beat them. If they have friends around you'll get ganked by slowing down to shadow speeds for that thing. If he's well and truly alone, you can just plant your mech on his ass like some kind of horribly lethal fly, or to be more accurate, Locust, and waste his rear torso. Above poster is right. Always stalk mechs by sticking to their leg rear, not their torso rear. Usually doesn't take too many salvos to ruin an assault with small pulse lasers. Everybody front-loads armor like crazy to offset the cost of eating meta burst damage strikes. Which sort of makes one wonder about the opportunity cost involved with rear armor.

I mean, if each point of rear armor is a point not-front armor, and each person always front-loads all but about 10 or so of that armor, is front armor really so much better than rear? Is a given point of front armor 4-6 or more times better than a point of rear armor, and what does that say about the game itself? I think it says that we expect to be attacked from the front far more often than from the rear, which makes me question the viability of stealth a little bit perhaps. I don't know, just random rambling thoughts about how I feel the current meta might be impacting tactics. Maybe I'll make a coherent argument another time.

I put atleast 25 points into my rear on assaults

#91 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Shoot backs, your talking 98ish CT front armor and like 24ish on the back. Shoot its back, never get in front of one unless you like dying or are in something with equal dakka.

They are slow and have TERRIBLE torso twist degree and speed, only goes 54 KPH top. An 85 KPH plus mech can outmaneuver him like no ones business. Get behind him and alpha away!

I also DO NOT run any of my mechs with less then 20 or so RT, LT rear armor and 24 in the CT rear....

Edited by DarthRevis, 19 August 2014 - 07:53 AM.

#92 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Shoot dire wolves in the head.

There is nothing more beautiful than the cries of a dire wolf pilot who gets 1 shotted.

Or, if he doesn't have support, just get behind him. Worst turning of any 'mech in the game, and a limited torso movement range as well. Atlases usually mount bigger engines, plus they have lateral arm movement. If you've used this tactic against an Atlas, you can pull it off against a dire wolf.

If you just try to stare it down, you are asking for trouble.

#93 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

I have been using LRM's on them and really long range... OR... get really close in City blocks,, use SRM's or other short range weapons.. then haul butt around a building and try to get in back of them again. their mobility in close quarters is a really big hindrance. Though nothing i like more than seeing one try to move across a large open space and i can land 5-6 volley's of LRM's and shread um down, and typically they can loose half their weapons. they are a lot less fearsome when they are missing half their stuff.. :ph34r:

#94 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

View PostArc Viper, on 31 July 2014 - 09:37 PM, said:

I've been having a problem with figuring out how to go up against direwolfs with meta builds (6 UAC combo). If you have ever stepped in front of one while it's shooting 6 UACs at you, you know it shreds your armor almost instantaneously.

The only tactic I've garnered so far is to just shoot them when they are not facing me, too busy shredding somebody else. I've learned to never look one in the eyes. But what do you guys aim for? Do you have any specific strategies to take one down?

I pilot Dire Wolves quite often. They are not invincible. Their torso twist arc from left to right is extremely narrow, and are extremely slow to move and to turn in close quarters compared with most other mechs. Keeping these things in mind helps improve your survival chances quite a bit. Also, this:

Edited by 00ohDstruct, 20 August 2014 - 06:12 PM.

#95 Petard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts
  • LocationGawler, South Australia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 19 August 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

Shoot backs, your talking 98ish CT front armor and like 24ish on the back. Shoot its back, never get in front of one unless you like dying or are in something with equal dakka.

They are slow and have TERRIBLE torso twist degree and speed, only goes 54 KPH top. An 85 KPH plus mech can outmaneuver him like no ones business. Get behind him and alpha away!

I also DO NOT run any of my mechs with less then 20 or so RT, LT rear armor and 24 in the CT rear....

You must not own any lights or mediums dude, good luck with armor values like that in one of those... :ph34r:

Edited by Petard, 20 August 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#96 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

Assuming you meet a Dire Wolf on his own and outcapping is not an option:

If you are 85 kph +, you should go and hug him.
If you are too far away so he can aim properly you are most likely going to die.

You might not be able to avoid passing in front of him all the time. But if you have to, it is wise to do so in the quickest way possible. And that means being close. Really close. Spitting distance.

It minimizes your exposure to his DPS weapons. And one of his pin-point weapons (Gauss) is going to be difficult to time properly.

Choose a location you can reliably hit multiple times. For me that mostly means side torsos. If you are really fast choose the rear. Once you have chosen stick to it.

It will take a while, but if you don´t botch it and overheat, the Derp Wolf is doomed.

The real trick is to be left alone by his buddies long enough to pull it off.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 22 August 2014 - 09:21 AM.

#97 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

The DW only has 60 degrees of torso twist. That makes it much easier to stay behind him at close range once you get there.
But if he has buddies...stay away from your group because that's where his attention is. Shot him from an angle he won't expect.

This goes against the Meta. Meta says to always stay with your teammates, but for lights that can be different.
A light joining the firingline gets the same amount of attention as his heavier teammates. That's not good for the light.

#98 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

Never approach with your teammates in a light, lol. Flank. All day, everyday. Mediums can do this as well, though to a lesser degree and with greater risk.

#99 Reported for Inappropriate Name

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,767 posts
  • LocationAmericlap

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:05 AM

don't take them head on for starters, but shaving off a side torso halves their damage and in some builds possibly more.

#100 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 01 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

The shortest, most important tip for fighting any mech, especially a slow one with huge alpha damage is to be unpredictable.

Whales are priority targets (and possibly the best PUG stomping mechs in the game) so make sure you blast them when you get the chance. If they are aware of you or are looking in your direction, resposition and fire again. Switching the corner of a building, running to the other side of a small hill - all of these small maneouvers make it harder for the enemy to fight back.

Also aim with care. Mechs go down very fast if you focus fire on a single component. Take an extra half second if you have to, just hit the right compoment. Don't spread damage, shoot the CT - it's a big target and you can hit it from the side.

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 01 September 2014 - 12:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users