Put Groups Of 2 Back To Pug

193 replies to this topic

#181 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

2 Mans belong in the group queue. They should not be allowed into PUG games under any circumstance.

#182 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Don't be afraid to play in the group queue.

I play in the group queue with a team of 2 all the time.

When I am on Comms I always drop in the Group Que, When I meet with a friend in a drop Like DaZur (Who I have dropped on Comms with) in the PUG que How is that different from RANDOMLY dropping with DocBach?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 30 August 2014 - 08:50 PM.

#183 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

I agree that the group queue is messed up beyond all recognition right now thanks to elo inflation and averaging creating roflstomps. I disagree that groups should be allowed in the solo queue either. There should be the creation of a "Lance" level queue where you can opt in as a single player and go back to what we used to have with 1-4 small groups for those who preferred that level of play instead of this monstrous large group fiasco with so may bad elo matches.

#184 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 30 August 2014 - 08:34 PM, said:

2 Mans belong in the group queue. They should not be allowed into PUG games under any circumstance.

Two things. 2 mans should not be in any queue with groups over 4.
Every group except for a 12man is a PUG to some degree or another. The solo queue is not the exclusive property of lone wolves.

#185 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

2 man teams should drop where ever there is room for them in either que, Group Que being primary of course. and no more than a single 2man per PUG Que per side.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 30 August 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#186 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 August 2014 - 08:59 PM, said:

2 man teams should drop where ever there is room for them in either que, Group Que being primary of course. and no more than a single 2man per PUG Que per side.

I know where yo're coming from, but there'd still be some averaging between the two members of the group, and if you get old pros bringing in brand new players like their kids for instance, the mismatches will make the current freakout over sync drops which have no elo mismatch look like a polite discussion of the Emily Post Fan Club.

#187 Xmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,099 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 01 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Since 3 days I try to play with a clanmate form another game, He's new to the game, but putting a group of 2 people into the group queue is just impossible overkill for any new players who may get a friend or something.

Various reasons,

nearly all mechs in the group queue are heavies or assaults.
He now owns a kit fox and a Nova. Not much fun, because all the laodouts are kinda hard meta and lurking around a corner is kinda instantkill for any medium mech.

light mechs are also nearly non existent.

Because of those mechclasses being used so much, the waiting times for matches are extremely long. easily 5mins +

How should I show someone new the game under this conditions? The gaming experience is quite horrible for newbies. All I would need to do is telling him to go to solo queue? That can hardly be the point of an online game.

I try to teach him now how to support the team via ECM with the kit fox, but oh my, this is just massively hard for a new palyer and nearly 0 fun.

This should really not be, half the mechs are dead in this game mode and teamplay with mechs you like, unless they are heavy+ or some ecm lights is nearly impossible.

Dunno what, but do something, This way the game is just horrible

Don't forget about the new solo players.

It would be worst than it already is for new players playing solo if 2 man groups were allowed.

Teach your friend how to play with a team of 12 not 2.

#188 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

2 mans in group que only.

Else you break the group que.

#189 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

View PostXmith, on 30 August 2014 - 11:47 PM, said:

Don't forget about the new solo players.

It would be worst than it already is for new players playing solo if 2 man groups were allowed.

Teach your friend how to play with a team of 12 not 2.

Although I see where you're coming from with this sentiment, the problem is many players do not have the ability to get together in a 12man or the premium time in which to play in private matches and learn. This is a non-starter and why we need a small group queue like I've proposed for groups of 2-4 with solo players who aren't freaked by the way things used to be to fill in if they so choose. That would be the best compromise we could hope for. BUt is the player base big enough to do it? I don't know.

#190 bobF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 02:47 AM

What a screwed up situation. People, a rough new player experience helps kill games. There was this pretty awesome MOBA game called Bloodline Champions.

http://www.gamasutra...e_Champions.php

Some interesting parallels. Someone already nailed it earlier, lobbies take care of all this. The OP should be able to play with their friend casually. Just group up and join the "nubs only" room or whatever. Instead we have the magic mm system, push the join button and hope for the best.

Personally, I don't mind so much. PvP is unfair and chaotic, which is why i love it so. I'm glad for the solo queue tbh, it's madness in there, and I think a much more rich game than whatever rote meta the "competitive" people are playing. I read all these comments about the so-called steering wheel underhive. How much more elevated is the group queue, truly? Really guys, learning to focus fire rdps over comms with complimentary builds is rocket science? Welcome to PvP circa late 20th century. I know, casuals need to get on your level. I have to agree with the OP, I wish there was a casual group option, for group-based chaos. The point of the exercise for playing video games is fun, right? Ideally, everyone has fun the way they prefer. However, we all know nothing is going to be seriously altered anytime soon. There's more mechs to monetize.

Again, read the history of BLC. When all that's left is a tiny group of elite neckbeards because all the casuals got scared away, the game dies. You may urinate on casuals from a great height (I sometimes do myself) but understand they are part of a new gaming culture that includes everybody, not just shut-in fatty males ages 18-35, willing to put in hours of play and research to git gud. A huge playerbase benefits everybody. Consider that when you critique ideas intended to give more options to enjoy the game. I'm jus sayin.

#191 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:38 AM

If you want I'll help train him.

The game is a bit more intellectual than the fun you're asking for, but there is a lot of fun in winning, even if it requires patience and intelligent game play.

Also, I think it'd be a huge mistake to put a new warrior into an assault. Really bad advice from others.

#192 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

Oh noes, I didn't realize where this thread was headed.

I'm exiting. Enjoy the conversation that isn't really going to amount to anything.

Again, if your friend wants additional training I'm glad to help any new warrior ... and honestly, the group queue isn't that bad. You can bring whatever you want, it's just it requires a similar effort to play together than the solo queue calls for. The real differences are xp and money acquiring (as long as you aren't trying to sync) as solo drops are much faster.

#193 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:27 AM

Mentor/copilot mode. Player joins friend as spectator. He only can see what friend does. Cannot in game chat (lance/team/all) but maybe a red buddy chat color to stand out (for noncom players).

I know it could be complicated and may seem dumb to some, but there have been a number of times over last couple years this would have been great to help friends out.

#194 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:42 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 01 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

Since 3 days I try to play with a clanmate form another game, He's new to the game, but putting a group of 2 people into the group queue is just impossible overkill for any new players who may get a friend or something.

Various reasons,

nearly all mechs in the group queue are heavies or assaults.
He now owns a kit fox and a Nova. Not much fun, because all the laodouts are kinda hard meta and lurking around a corner is kinda instantkill for any medium mech.

light mechs are also nearly non existent.

Because of those mechclasses being used so much, the waiting times for matches are extremely long. easily 5mins +

How should I show someone new the game under this conditions? The gaming experience is quite horrible for newbies. All I would need to do is telling him to go to solo queue? That can hardly be the point of an online game.

I try to teach him now how to support the team via ECM with the kit fox, but oh my, this is just massively hard for a new palyer and nearly 0 fun.

This should really not be, half the mechs are dead in this game mode and teamplay with mechs you like, unless they are heavy+ or some ecm lights is nearly impossible.

Dunno what, but do something, This way the game is just horrible

I would agree but its fine as is. Let any group be a group and let the solos pug!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users