Store

35 replies to this topic

#1 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Since the Ultimate Game Card (UGC) is no longer available for use, how do you all feel about a $25 gift card (like a Visa or a MasterCard Gift Card) that cannot be used to it's fullest? If you want to use a gift card (Visa or MasterCard etc.) the way you use to use the UGC, there isn’t a convenient way to use a $25.00 gift card. You end up with $3.10 left on that gift card and no way to use it for MWO.

If you feel that an offering of MC should be made to accommodate the $25.00 gift card, there is a poll for you to voice your support for this idea. Just follow this link:

http://mwomercs.com/...age-be-offered/

Votes as of the edit time for this post:

Should a $24.95 MC package be offered?
Yes 33, No 6

Does a rate of 5350 MC seem fair to you?
Yes 20, No 2, More MC 17, Less MC 0

Should a player be able to use more than one gift card to purchase MC?
Yes 32, No 7

Should both options above be offered?
Yes 32, No 7

Constructive comment to the point of this topic are welcome.

Edited by Ayrmoon, 30 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#2 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

The solution is to buy two. Or not use them at all because the UGCs are being discontinued by Playspan. Good luck, but I don't see it changing since they won't work in another few months anyways.

Edited by EgoSlayer, 02 August 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

I'm not too happy about ugc going away. I had to use their uk based payment option to use a work issued visa to get mc and pay an extra three bucks since I did three seperate orders because of time out issues. I did get the hero mechs I wanted while the sale for them was still in effect.

#4 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostAyrmoon, on 02 August 2014 - 10:25 AM, said:

How do you all feel about no longer having the Ultimate Game Card (UGC) for use? If you want to use a gift card (Visa or MasterCard etc.) the way you use to use the UGC, there isn’t a convenient way to use a $25.00 gift card. You end up with $3.10 left on that gift card and no way to use it for MWO.

If you feel that an offering of MC should be made to accommodate the $25.00 gift card, there is a poll for you to voice your support for this idea. Just follow this link:

http://mwomercs.com/...age-be-offered/

Constructive comment to the point of this topic are welcome.

you do know UGC are going away right? Unless I understood that wrong

#5 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

EgoSlayer - That is really the point. To not leave money on a gift card you are forced to buy a $50 or $100 gift card. I'm happy to hear that you have that kind of money to use whenever you feel like it. But I, and perhaps a few others, do not. And an option for a $24.95 MC would fix this problem.

JediPanther and Sandpit - I'm sorry. My wording above was a little confusing. I've changed it and hope this clears up what I was really asking about - A way to use a $25 gift card by having a $24.95 MC package.

Hence the link to the poll :P

Edited by Ayrmoon, 02 August 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#6 EgoSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,909 posts
  • Location[REDACTED]

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

The point really is - in two months it's a moot point since you won't be able to use *ANY* UGCs. If you don't have enough money to buy $50 worth of UGC, buy a $20 Visa/Mastercard/AMEX gift card and use that instead since that's a supported increment of MC and it will be usable with the pay system in place, and will continue to be usable after September.

http://www.ultimategamecard.com/

#7 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

I wonder what effect this will have on PGI's finances, and if they are going to bother adjusting prices at all as a result.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Seems like it would be a good business move to adjust to whatever Cards are remaining, so players are not forced to spend larger cash amount.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

View PostSephlock, on 02 August 2014 - 11:24 AM, said:

I wonder what effect this will have on PGI's finances, and if they are going to bother adjusting prices at all as a result.

doubt it, they've already posted about it

#10 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

EgoSlayer - I know the UGC is going away. This post isn't about that. It's about an MC offering that you can use a $25 gift card on and not leave money on the card. I've never seen a $20 gift card, but even so... to not leave any money on that/those card(s) you would have to buy 3 $20 gift cards ($60 worth) and buy the $29.95 package of 3000 MC twice. The problem with that is, you cannot use more than one gift card per MC package. So really the only way to use a $20 gift card is to buy one $14.95 package (leaving $5.05 on the card) or two $6.95 packages (leaving $6.10 on the card).

Again, this is not about the UGC going away. It's about having an offering of MC that only leaves pennies for the $25 gift card. Sorry if my first post above was confussing.

Sephlock - Without really knowing either, my guess is that it is a small percentage and a $24.95 offering may not happen. But I still think it makes sense to offer a package that is useful to the players here.

Edited by Ayrmoon, 02 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#11 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:16 PM

Added the poll results to this thread to keep you up-to-date :)

#12 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

SO, the gift cards work the exact same ay here as they do in practically every other business in the world (meaning extra cash is gone, because the intent was ALWAYS for the customer to pay a bit extra and buy something larger than the gift card amount, anyway), yet here, and nowhere else, it`s somehow suddenly a problem that PGI "has" to solve, even though the supposed "cause" of the issue (25$ gift cards) are going away forever soon, anyway.

Someone call Merriam Webster, I think I have the definition of entitled whine they were looking for. :)

Edited by Zerberus, 03 August 2014 - 03:27 AM.

#13 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostZerberus, on 03 August 2014 - 03:23 AM, said:

SO, the gift cards work the exact same ay here as they do in practically every other business in the world (meaning extra cash is gone, because the intent was ALWAYS for the customer to pay a bit extra and buy something larger than the gift card amount, anyway), yet here, and nowhere else, it`s somehow suddenly a problem that PGI "has" to solve?

Someone call Merriam Webster, I think I have the definition of entitled whine they were looking for. :)

So much truth. Companies love gift cards because they get payed for them, and the vast majority of them do not get used ever.

Edited by Noth, 03 August 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#14 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

That's company gift cards though. The point of a credit gift card, is for people who don't have regular access to a credit card. Optimally, you should just get a credit card. At least in the western world, they are a very important aspect of life.

But that's beside the point. If someone wants to spend $25 instead of $15, or $30, why leave money on the table?

#15 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostFDJustin, on 03 August 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

That's company gift cards though. The point of a credit gift card, is for people who don't have regular access to a credit card. Optimally, you should just get a credit card. At least in the western world, they are a very important aspect of life.

But that's beside the point. If someone wants to spend $25 instead of $15, or $30, why leave money on the table?

Technically, even those credit gift cards are designed so that they either aren't used, or are troublesome to use fully.

#16 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

View PostFDJustin, on 03 August 2014 - 04:29 AM, said:

But it goes completely against the whole point of the company creating a gift card in the first place. And this applies to credit cards just as "vendor" cards. The point is ALWAYS "how" do we use this to make more money"

Have you ever notices that almost nothing actually worth having costs 24.95$ It`s always either 19.99 or 29.99. That`s why the cards are offered at 25$...... the institutions that issue these cards could issue any denomination they desire, and they specifically chose 25$, when they could easily offer both 20$ and 30$. There is a very real plan behind most things that businesses do, especially large financial institutions that earn their money by lending someone else your money and shafting you on the interest. :)

Gift cards are a means of advertising. The point of advertising is to get people to buy something, the more the better.

That is why 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all gift cards, ever, in any industry besides fast food, are either so low that to use them you MUST pay on top, or the value is firmly situated between "waste half the gift card and get something cheap" and "This is what we REALLY want them to get".

And that`s why the thread is essentially an exercise in futility with no realistic hope of becoming something else.

If someone knows exactly what they want, they don`t need a gift card, they just pay and be done with it :D

Now, while I understand that the last statement is not entirely "true" in these days of 12 year olds and online transactions..... But then again, by law in most places a minor is not allowed to conduct online business (or any other large transactions, for that mater) without parental consent, anyway. And the parents "should" have a credit card or checking account like most adults.

Edited by Zerberus, 03 August 2014 - 05:04 AM.

#17 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:59 AM

View PostNoth, on 03 August 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

Technically, even those credit gift cards are designed so that they either aren't used, or are troublesome to use fully.

Yeah, true enough. Plus you pay taxes on them. How messed up is that, anyway? Still. It's not PGI that benefits from the few lost dollars, it's the credit card company in question.

And yes, Zerberus, every adult 'should' have a credit card. Sometimes their situation prevents it. Sometimes they're misguided, thinking credit cards are evil. Sometimes they lack the self control to not rack up debt, and make a conscious choice to keep it from being an issue.

Edited by FDJustin, 03 August 2014 - 05:02 AM.

#18 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:18 AM

View PostFDJustin, on 03 August 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

Yeah, true enough. Plus you pay taxes on them. How messed up is that, anyway? Still. It's not PGI that benefits from the few lost dollars, it's the credit card company in question.

And yes, Zerberus, every adult 'should' have a credit card. Sometimes their situation prevents it. Sometimes they're misguided, thinking credit cards are evil. Sometimes they lack the self control to not rack up debt, and make a conscious choice to keep it from being an issue.

I don`t view not having one as misguided, which is why I put it in quotes, as I do not share the perception that every adult needs to have a credit card, cell phone, RFID chip, GPS locator, and neural implant. I do not have one, by choice. And there are, as a direct result, a lot of problems that other people have that I do not. The only thing it "cost" me was the ability to stroke my ego with shiny new toys that I can`t afford and never used anyway.

And since even without a cc or Paypal account, from a european country, payment for anything under the sun has still always been a complete and total non issue, I see absolutely no reason to install that glass panel in my life. I have a checking account that works just fine. :)

Edited by Zerberus, 03 August 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#19 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

Ever thought about paysafecard?

#20 FDJustin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

If you want to opt out of the credit system, that's fine, but it brings limitations. As it stands now, in the western world at least, your credit rating has a significant impact on your financials. Want to mortgage a house? You need a certain credit score to get the better points, which translates into a significant difference in cost over the life of your mortgage. Same with cars and such.
A very large portion of your credit rating is based on your credit card.

Aside from that, it's just a tool. To think of it in any other way is misguided.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users