228 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:16 AM

My complaint is 50% external heat transfer reduction.

It's VERY obvious that 50% is WAY too high...
....Seriously what is with PGI and high percentages?

If Terra Therma's additional temperatures is 25% higher than normal, then is it 50% of that 25% that gets reduced (12.5% then) or is it 50% of all heat, which means I'm on Terra Therma firing some seriously HOT **** and only getting heat as if I'm on Forest Colony Snow?

Now if it's saying 50% less bonuses, too... then it screws the mech on Frozen City, Alpine, Forest Colony Snow, etc.
(Which makes it a double edge sword and isn't so bad).

But as you can understand this is horrendously confusing; as is the use of percentages in general without a context to compare to.

EDIT! Command chair post on this.

Edited by Koniving, 05 August 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#22 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

The huge mounts for the SSRM2's look ridiculous. I wish the mounts would downsize for smaller launchers.

#23 Taranum42

Rookie

• 9 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Nice new mech allways loved the battlemaster, but pls change the ppc position on the left arm. They realy have to be at the same height.....

#24 Desintegrator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationGermany

No its just right to have +50 % !

The people who spend alot of money on this Mech should have their fun with extreme overheating !!

#25 Grendel408

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Don't forget... someone didn't get their coffee and have it called Hellsinger still LOL! :(

#26 Crotch RockIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 583 posts
  • Locationchewing his lower lip

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostKoniving, on 05 August 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

If Terra Therma's additional temperatures is 25% higher than normal, then is it 50% of that 25% that gets reduced (12.5% then) or is it 50% of all heat, which means I'm on Terra Therma firing some seriously HOT **** and only getting heat as if I'm on Forest Colony Snow?

Now if it's saying 50% less bonuses, too... then it screws the mech on Frozen City, Alpine, Forest Colony Snow, etc.

As you can understand this is horrendously confusing; as is the use of percentages in general without a context to compare to.

My guess is that the temperature effects all of the maps would normalize (more or less) to the median ambient temperature maps like Canyon and River City.

#27 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

View PostDesintegrator, on 05 August 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

The people who spend alot of money on this Mech should have their fun with extreme overheating !!

To mention it... From the sound of it you get 50% less extra heat on Terra Therma.
On Frozen City you'd get 50% less extra cooling on Frozen City.

#28 Rizzelbizzeg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 744 posts
  • LocationRizzelbuzzing about

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Killer paint job, that is except for the abortion that is the missile boxes. There's gotta be a better way than just tack on black boxes with yellow dots. At least skin them in the camo a little.

#29 LordSkyKnight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 194 posts
  • LocationPLACES!!!

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

This 'Mech looks really frickin cool. But I just don't see what it offers that other Battlemasters don't. It's basically a -1S which operates better on hot maps and worse on cold ones. It might be a bit better brawler if you put SRM 6's in the missile points since they're all on one side, but you're gonna want the PPC's in the torsos where they're up high, not in the arms, and only 1 energy point on each arm means you can't stack up some brawling lasers on the arms where they're useful in close.

#30 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

But as you can understand this is horrendously confusing; as is the use of percentages in general without a context to compare to.

View PostJon Cunningham, on 05 August 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

"Less environmental bonuses/penalties" is exactly correct.

So it builds up less heat from environmental heat sources, but doesn't lose as much heat to environmental cooling sources.

It is a double edge sword, as you said.

It is an interesting quirk I think. I doubt it will have that much impact though and in general I think either the 1S or 3S would be the better choice for most builds. Still, interesting at least.

Edited by Rouken, 05 August 2014 - 10:24 AM.

#31 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

I think it's the equivilent to insulated armor, so better on hot maps, worse on cool maps, but not a huge difference. Nice feature on an energy mech actually if you can't control where you drop.

#32 _NARCoMAN_

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

Interesting quirk on an uninspiring mech.

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostRouken, on 05 August 2014 - 10:23 AM, said:

It is a double edge sword, as you said.

Perhaps. But it's still a bit extreme. Much like 55% more acceleration on all mechs that get elite skills....or pretty much the entire skill tree.

I'd like to think PGI could be capable of some conservative percentages. 50% suggests some incredible technology that most mechs are lacking. 25% suggests some environmental sealing (which takes a LOT of tonnage). 5 to 15% suggests some great maintenance work and technical ingenuity.

View PostBront, on 05 August 2014 - 10:24 AM, said:

I think it's the equivilent to insulated armor, so better on hot maps, worse on cool maps, but not a huge difference. Nice feature on an energy mech actually if you can't control where you drop.

Funny you mention that. Heh. Environmental Sealing is 10% of the weight (so 8.5 tons extra) and protects a mech better.

I'm gonna make this mech in Megamek/Tabletop and see what happens with Environmental Sealing as Sarna lacks the details.

Edited by Koniving, 05 August 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#34 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:29 AM

ugh... so reading the other threads yeah, the -50% "quirk" is either a bonus on hot maps or a nerf on cold maps... good grief.

And now I come in here and see the HUGE SSRM2 boxes.... good grief again...

pretty much the only thing going for this "hero" is the paint... which is ruined by those godawful SSRM2 launchers... you should have just used the original SRM6 model from the 1G for pete's sake!

AND you didn't even FINISH the paint job!!! The legs, the ppc's don't match on the arms!!!
come on guys.... I love my Bmasters, only mech above 65 tons I use. but this just screams of half-arsed it's in the details guys...

disappointing and I will be voting with my wallet... just don't see myself ponying up the real bucks for this....

Wait and how much is this going to be???? Almost $30 bucks? hrrrrmmmmm

yeah just wouldn't be prudent, not gonna do it...

Maybe if that -50% is not a nerf on cold maps but I just don't know still....

Edited by BigBadVlad, 05 August 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#35 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

The quirk is likely an experiment.

#36 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'm sad! As a BLR pilot, I was really looking forward to this! But no ballistics? And three negative quirks?

B)

It's a missile/beam boat which means that it won't do as well as the BLR-1S for missiles, nor will it do as well as the 1D or 1G because they have ballistics and lots of energy already. For example, my BLR-1G(P) has three standard PPCs, two AC/5s, and two MPLs on it; it's fierce! Also, for confronting Clanners, this new Hero isn't going to be particularly useful which will shred it at range. Best thing I can see is turning it into a PPC boat, but then you're kinda just co-opting it into being an Awesome.

Sorry, PGI, but I can't purchase this. I was all primed with the "Take my money!" catchphrase and everything too.

Now I'll wait in happy anticipation for the next Hero Mech. Let's have a Thunderbolt Hero and call it Thor, with beams and ballistics! :(

#37 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

How is this -50% External Heat Bla a quirk? I'd consider it a buff, since you can better plan your heat dissipation and your trigger-happyness doesn't have to change between cold and warm maps as much as usual.

Edit: Missile boxes look ridiculous indeed, but what would you have them do if you put a LRM20 (assuming this can be done) on it? The box needs to be big enough to handle the biggest LRM type. This will always lead to ridiculously sized boxes when using (S)SRM2s... always has, always will.

Edit2: On the other hand, the secondary and ternery launchers are probably only 10, and that could have been integrated smoother. But let's wait and see how many missile tubes are supported

Edited by Myke Pantera, 05 August 2014 - 11:02 AM.

#38 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

View PostCrotch RockIt, on 05 August 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

The huge mounts for the SSRM2's look ridiculous. I wish the mounts would downsize for smaller launchers.

I gotta echo this since its exactly the first thing I thought. The paintjob is excellent, but the Streaks are ugly. You guys should do another pass on the sizes of weapons slots.

#39 Tiamat of the Sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

You silly people. Battlemasters have never been about ballistics. Those ballistic slots are filled by machine guns. The BLR has always been an energy-with-a-side-of-missiles 'mech, with the few exceptions being missiles-with-a-side-of-energy. If you want a ballistic-primary assault 'mech go grab a Victor or a Banshee, or wait for a Mauler. This whining is ridiculous.

As far as the paint job is concerned, going by the appearance of the legs, the matte black areas are all intentionally matte black... but I do agree that the launcher boxes are all way the heck too huge for a two-tube rack. Is it really that implausible to make a set of variously-sized missile boxes that are changed depending on tube number? You're already changing the faceplate design on the missile box when that's done anyways. Ah well. It's no game-breaker, but it is annoying to see.

Hellslinger does look very interesting, all the same. Seems like a vast improvement over the offering of the 3S, which sadly can't really distinguish itself with its only two missile hardpoints (one of them on the right arm).

#40 Dnarvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 352 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, B.C.

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 05 August 2014 - 10:31 AM, said:

I'm sad! As a BLR pilot, I was really looking forward to this! But no ballistics? And three negative quirks?

B)

It's a missile/beam boat which means that it won't do as well as the BLR-1S for missiles, nor will it do as well as the 1D or 1G because they have ballistics and lots of energy already. For example, my BLR-1G(P) has three standard PPCs, two AC/5s, and two MPLs on it; it's fierce! Also, for confronting Clanners, this new Hero isn't going to be particularly useful which will shred it at range. Best thing I can see is turning it into a PPC boat, but then you're kinda just co-opting it into being an Awesome.

Sorry, PGI, but I can't purchase this. I was all primed with the "Take my money!" catchphrase and everything too.

Now I'll wait in happy anticipation for the next Hero Mech. Let's have a Thunderbolt Hero and call it Thor, with beams and ballistics! :(

Now people can feel the pain I felt when the Huggin was introduced. The only redeeming feature of most of the 'Hero' mechs is the 30% c-bill boost. Other than that, there are very few with good loadouts, most people transform them into something close to what they run in their other varients, and not use the unique hardpoints.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users