#221 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:24 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 14 August 2014 - 04:12 PM, said:

Since CryEngine doesn't handle diff size textures well, I would've thought that MWO Video Settings would be engineered in a way where if you selected the lower resolution textures that all textures in the game are the 1k ones, 2k for medium res textures, and 4k for the high setting.

It's not like that?

It would be, if said textures all ran 2k, 4k, etc.

Most of the textures are 1k (medium setting).
Some are 2k (high setting).
None are 4k.

And when you choose to run at very high settings... it looks for 4k mipmaps. There are none. So it looks for 2k mipmaps. There are some. Now for the ones left over, it looks for 1k mipmaps. It finds some, and now you have a mishmash of 1k and 2k textures.

Ever noticed how certain mechs in your field of view will bog your fps down more than others?
Back in the day before they could be painted, every Founder's mech would do that due to the much higher texture quality... without the ability of being consistent... the engine has trouble as it's not designed for that. CryEngine is designed for high visual quality, it wasn't designed to handle half-baked textures of random mipmap resolutions.

To mention it. Which textures are which.

#222 a gaijin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 August 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

It would be, if said textures all ran 2k, 4k, etc.

Most of the textures are 1k (medium setting).
Some are 2k (high setting).
None are 4k.

And when you choose to run at very high settings... it looks for 4k mipmaps. There are none. So it looks for 2k mipmaps. There are some. Now for the ones left over, it looks for 1k mipmaps. It finds some, and now you have a mishmash of 1k and 2k textures.

Ever noticed how certain mechs in your field of view will bog your fps down more than others?
Back in the day before they could be painted, every Founder's mech would do that due to the much higher texture quality... without the ability of being consistent... the engine has trouble as it's not designed for that. CryEngine is designed for high visual quality, it wasn't designed to handle half-baked textures of random mipmap resolutions.

To mention it. Which textures are which.

So if you paint your Founder's Mech something different from its default color, its textures are reduced to a smaller size?? Does this repainting make MWO run easier on other people's PCs?

I'm trying to check out the textures comparison from the link you gave (thanks!) but the loaner PC I'm on atm is reeeeeeaaaaally slow.

#223 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

View PostHeroForHire, on 14 August 2014 - 05:29 PM, said:

So if you paint your Founder's Mech something different from its default color, its textures are reduced to a smaller size??
I'm trying to check out the textures comparison from the link you gave (thanks!) but the loaner PC I'm on atm is reeeeeeaaaaally slow.

I was referring to before they were made compatible with repainting.
The original, non-paintable founder mechs all had 2k textures.
The paintable ones have mixed. 2K on the Atlas. Don't know about the Catapult. The other two are definitely 1k now.

#224 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 14 August 2014 - 05:32 PM, said:

I was referring to before they were made compatible with repainting.
The original, non-paintable founder mechs all had 2k textures.
The paintable ones have mixed. 2K on the Atlas. Don't know about the Catapult. The other two are definitely 1k now.

Thanks for clearing that up :(
Do you think PGI will streamline their code & texture files so that with texture size setting in Video Settings will just use one size across the board for all textures?
That'd be the best way to stabilize, right?

#225 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:19 AM

View PostHeroForHire, on 14 August 2014 - 08:18 PM, said:

Thanks for clearing that up :(
Do you think PGI will streamline their code & texture files so that with texture size setting in Video Settings will just use one size across the board for all textures?
That'd be the best way to stabilize, right?

Oh it hasn't got anything to do with their code.
Only way to do that is to release an all 1k texture set, an all 2k texture set or an all 4k texture set.
[Whatever size the actual image is, the file will have mipmaps for lower settings].
They have to get consistent with the texture sizes they release.

#226 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:06 AM

Wanted to try this model since I've been on a '3 SRM racks in chain-fire' kick for a while and am quite experienced with the other BLRs, particularly the iconic 1G. I've usually tried to use my one large engine (375XL) with the 1G since the extra heat sink load is so helpful for a beam-based chassis, and of course the speed - but it leaves little room and tonnage in the LT for the missiles on the 1GHE

After tweaking, ended up with a rather traditional 1G build that substitutes the extra missiles for the MGs and 1-less beam mount, but plays much the same: single ERPPC in RT, 5 MLAS (torso and arms on separate triggers), SRM14 (200), AMS (1500), 21 DHS. Pulls top slots in many fights (when I don't take my eye off the ball). Heat is very manageable and due the insulation quirk, very consistent. There is something to be said for the ability at range to fire a single high-mounted fast-cycling PPC at will without heat concern, and to be able to depend on it across all maps. I do much better with it than trying to manage the ridiculous heat from 2 of them. And up close, the rest of the load is, of course, a set of superior brawling tools which I prefer to use with good trigger discipline and the SRMs set to chain (while the present meta wisdom in the face of the Clan onslaught is burn and turn, I'd rather manage things this way, not shut down, and keep up the steady fire). The Hellslinger is proving itself admirably in this role.

I know - combination red flags on the XL and the added torso bulk of the launchers. But I always hold myself accountable for allowing an opponent to take advantage of that. I don't blame the mech - I blame my own lack of awareness and action, accept the added risk, and try to make the most of the benefits of the extra load and firepower.

Edited by Elyam, 15 August 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#227 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

...but in the end, I've sold the Hellslinger. I need the c-bills elsewhere. For me, the 1G(P) is still the better model.

#228 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

View PostDAYLEET, on 05 August 2014 - 10:56 AM, said:

HELLSINGER IS A MUCH BETTER NAME THAN HELLSLINGER.

Used caps to convince people im right!

Hell SINGER sound better for me.

6 energy point overheats mech instantly. I think they would be raise effectivness external DHS as 2.0 for this mech vs 1.4 and - 50% still apply.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 15 September 2014 - 03:19 AM.

#229 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

View PostVlad Striker, on 15 September 2014 - 03:13 AM, said:

Hell SINGER sound better for me.

6 energy point overheats mech instantly. I think they would be raise effectivness external DHS as 2.0 for this mech vs 1.4 and - 50% still apply.

-50% means the mech will operate in neutral heat on most maps. All you need to do is manage your trigger a bit, and you shouldn't have heat problems.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users