Atlas

18 replies to this topic

#1 PhelenWard

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

So I think I'm in the minority on this one, but who else thinks that the Atlas as far as assalt mechs goes is one ugly peace of work?
I've always prefered clan mechs and more non humanoid mechs, Dire Wolf, Sunder, Mad Cat, etc. As well as more astetically pleasing, They also seemed more practical as well. Feel free to tell me I'm dead wrong by they way.

#2 The Rat

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

It was not meant to be pretty.

#3 Serevn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 472 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:11 PM

Its the definition of old school BadA$$

#4 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

I've always felt that many of the original mechs in the game were less practical and way uglier. (I won't get into Unseen models, some people love their Macross) That being said, I love them all, I've never not been able to paint the skull portion of an atlas white on any model I have, no matter how hard I try.

#5 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:14 PM

@OP
You cannot be wrong. :) Your tastes are yours, and therefore correct for you. :P

#6 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

Its suppsed to be ugly because its the mech boogeyman, if you run into one your facing a world of hurt :).

#7 KageRyuu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

For a Kerensky lover ie Clanner, I figured you'd love the Atlas on account that he damn near built the thing himself. Hell most Clanners have such a hard on for the mech they even love it's uglier twin.

http://www.sarna.net...as_(BattleMech)
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_II

Edited by KageRyuu, 21 June 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#8 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

View PostPhelenWard, on 21 June 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

So I think I'm in the minority on this one, but who else thinks that the Atlas as far as assalt mechs goes is one ugly peace of work?
I've always prefered clan mechs and more non humanoid mechs, Dire Wolf, Sunder, Mad Cat, etc. As well as more astetically pleasing, They also seemed more practical as well. Feel free to tell me I'm dead wrong by they way.

Phelen... You should know that Ugly was one of the qulifications of the Atlas. It's appearance was just as important as the weapons and armor mounted on that monster. Ever since it's appearance in BattleTech it was the benchmark for Assault mechs. Even when the new kids out stripped the the death's head Mech, it was still the one to beat!

Clan Mechs were never practical except in how quickly you could swap out weapon payloads. Clan Mechs were over gunned or under sinked in ways that made 3025 Mechs look like cool running!!

But that's just my opinion compared to yours. My friend and I disagree over the King Crab asthetically but agree it's a good payload.

#9 rekohunter

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

The Atlas is meant to look like and be capable of riping your buddy's mech's arms off and beating you to death with them.

#10 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

As people have said, it's supposed to look ugly. It was designed for psychological impact (as stated in the fluff).

It's a 100 ton walking death's head ugly SOB, and it doesn't care what you think.

#11 cinco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

the pgi redesigned atlas is much better. and in some ways very practical looking.

View PostXandre Blackheart, on 21 June 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

As people have said, it's supposed to look ugly. It was designed for psychological impact (as stated in the fluff).

It's a 100 ton walking death's head ugly SOB, and it doesn't care what you think.

ugly=/=fearsome.

Edited by cinco, 21 June 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#12 Feyd Rautha

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 41 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

View PostSaevus, on 21 June 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I've always felt that many of the original mechs in the game were less practical and way uglier. (I won't get into Unseen models, some people love their Macross) That being said, I love them all, I've never not been able to paint the skull portion of an atlas white on any model I have, no matter how hard I try.

Oh yes! Most definitely! Warhammer and Marauder were the first two mechs I ever jumped into TT combat with. I would absolutely LOVE to see the unseen mechs incorporated into MWO, but I AM a realist and realize that is wholly unlikely to come to fruition---to my ultimate chagrin...:-(

#13 PhelenWard

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:13 PM

See my problem with the Atlas and other humanoid mechs, espeialy after reading posts. I've realized that becides not being apealing to my eyes is that if I came acrossed one I'd respect it but in the back of my mind I'd just see the robotic monkey. The Atlas to my in all my strangness apers not scray as intended by the great Kerensky, but comical looking. Models like the Dire Wolf, Humpan, Fafnir, Warhawk are in my mind much more thretening.

I thank everyone for there opnions!

#14 Colonel Fubar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 650 posts
  • LocationPlanet Agoge in the Mitera System

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

Death is not a pretty thing when it comes packaged in the form of an FATLAS.
But personally I think the Atlas is purtty!

#15 MechWarrior6478661

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:16 PM

Too Big and Ugly.

#16 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

yeah its ugly, but my only problem with it is how weak the torsi are.

#17 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

I see a few problems with your comment OP.

1) You can't even be consistent with your naming scheme. :rolleyes: You say "Direwolf" and then follow it up by "Mad Cat".
This is me just nitpicking but it's kinda funny. I kinda expect you saying "Wolf Hunter" instead of the Ice Ferret as well.

But that's just nit picking. I just find it kinda funny.

2) You say those mechs are more PRACTICAL over humanoid mechs, While IRL we already see that "Humanoid" mechs with hands and such (like the atlas) is much more practical then a say timberwolf...

"oh no, you fell over... now how do you get up... pull yourself back up or push yourself of the ground with your hands... or you use this fragile expensive gauss rifle to prod yourself up"

IRL if mechs ever see combat they will be humanoid and will have at least 1+ hands. (2 most likely)
Current developments in mechs are shown to follow the trend of hands, as well as combat enhancement suits or what is looking like the start of exoskeletons / battlearmour.

(it's most likely that most mechs irl will be settled for Industrial, Conventional, and Agracultural reasons and not combat however Japan and USA at the momment have high interests in this. however japan can arguably be just for fan reasons over the love of mechs/ mechas/ giant robots in japan the same way how USA has lose gun laws)

Just not to put a stick in yar' mud... just pointing the problems in your debate.

As pointed above, it's meant to have the impact of psychological warfare and it's a fearsome mech and an icon.
One does not simply play a game of battletech and not know what the atlas is. It's the one assault mech you should know.

#18 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Why do i think it's pretty ? I really like the redesign. It's fabelous

Edited by Sarlic, 26 January 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:14 AM

View PostPhelenWard, on 21 June 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

“ A 'Mech as powerful as possible, as impenetrable as possible, and as ugly and foreboding as conceivable, so that fear itself will be our ally. ” -Aleksandr Kerensky

I'd say they nailed it on the head.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users