• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM

https://soundcloud.c...117-bryan-ekman

Gauss/ERPPC charge desynch might be limited to a quirk for mechs that CAN carry the combo: Specifically the Dire Wolf.

Additional Heat on side torso loss for C-XL Engines potentially being included (seems fair for the survivability it offers).

Heavy handed weapon balance suggestions by the NGNG team (who are insistent on pushing several Clan nerfs at once as opposed to doing things carefully, one at a time - not cool, guys, not cool). Thankfully, Bryan Ekman seems to have his head in the right place here, and thinks the XL Engine change might be all that is needed, and if it needs more then it can be explored.

PGI is considering an ELEMENTAL module. Oh. Hell. YES.

12v10 testing down the pipe. IS vs Clan. Also confirmed here:
http://mwomercs.com/...e-and-roll-out/

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 August 2014 - 05:03 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:40 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

https://soundcloud.c...117-bryan-ekman

Gauss/ERPPC charge desynch might be limited to a quirk for mechs that CAN carry the combo: Specifically the Dire Wolf.

Funny thing on that, the Dire Wolves are easy to deal with. Warhawks can carry it. So can Timber Wolves. Summoner just barely makes it happen.
But the real threat are the Timber Wolves carrying this combination. Jumping + Twin ER PPC + Gauss or 1 ER PPC + twin Gauss.

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 August 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

PGI is considering an ELEMENTAL module. Oh. Hell. YES.

YAY! But, but, what about IS and an infantry module? o.o;
Also the Elemental module and infantry module should be limited to the respective sides.

Listening to Sean/Phill whoever said "10% on each side torso" for the 4SP is very...very bad at balancing. If the other mechs have 10% (which works very well for my Hunchbacks), then the 4SP getting 5% in each side torso is fine. But now I think I know why we have crazy stuff like 55% faster acceleration, 20% more threshold, and a LOT of other really stupid and very over zealous skill percentage increases. Knowing that these guys with their early access are very obviously associated with the testing team... I just don't have enough hands to face palm hard enough.

Edited by Koniving, 07 August 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#3 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:52 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2014 - 05:40 AM, said:

Funny thing on that, the Dire Wolves are easy to deal with. Warhawks can carry it. So can Timber Wolves. Summoner just barely makes it happen.
But the real threat are the Timber Wolves carrying this combination. Jumping + Twin ER PPC + Gauss or 1 ER PPC + twin Gauss.

YAY! But, but, what about IS and an infantry module? o.o;
Also the Elemental module and infantry module should be limited to the respective sides.

Disagree with the Timby thing. Even before the JJ change, in order to load the 2 ERPPC and 1 Gauss build, you had 2-2.5 tons of ammo and pretty much the stock 15 DHS. Now that you need at minimum 4 jump jets to get off the ground (and, ideally, 5 to actually get some air), that is between 2 and 3 additional tons you need that, well... you simply cannot afford. I have been seeing people run the 2/1 build, but without jump jets worth a damn, they are usually ground based, and given the low slung location of the weapons you need to really expose the mech to use the systems. Tickle the right torso and they get stripped too. CTF is retaining its poptart heavy king title, though obviously it is less survivable due to the IS XL Engine and mondo side torsos.

In the case of the Warhawk, most you get is 1 Gauss, 3 tons of ammo, and 2 ERPPC with 5 tons left over. You might be able to squeeze a third ERPPC in there at the cost of armor, but the 30 pinpoint that arm does is not worth the shutdown (or near shutdown) that generates due to ERPPC+Ghost Heat. Weapon locations necessitate ample exposure to the enemy.

A 35 pinpoint alpha hurts, but not much more than double gauss Jagers, and those suckers can go hull down. Way more concerned about Double Gauss Jagers than either the Wolf or the Hawk with the 2/1 loadout. Esp a Firebrand with 2 gauss, 2 mlas in the arms, and 5 tons of gauss ammo. Then you technically exceed the damage of the 2/1 to a given specific location at ~400 meters.

I absolutely do agree about the Dire Wolf, though. I mean, it sucks to be caught in front of a 2/2 or 3/2 Dire Wolf. Drops you stupidly fast with no room for counterplay if you just so happen to be in front of the damned thing. However I have solo'd enough of those beasties to know they have some serious, and totally exploitable design flaws.

That said, any build that allows no room for *counterplay is broken IMO. It might be technically realistic to build for that intention in a war simulator, but it makes for bad gameplay experiences. How easy it is to use makes it even more horrible. Lots of reward for little risk or effort. :\

*counterplay as defined as a method of moving defensively or offensively that can adequately counter the damage source, such as armor rolling vs lasers or ducking in and out of cover to deal with autocannon streams.

Also, yeah. NGNG made me wince more than once with their suggestions. I hope to god they do not get listened to seriously. It was all very heavy handed, very reactionary, and myopic IMO. Personally? I favor small changes with high frequency. Test a small change, see the results, change again if needed, instead of CHANGE ALL THE THINGS and pick up the pieces later.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 07 August 2014 - 05:57 AM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

They're talking about energy draw from reactors to restrict how much you can fire at once... Funny thing is that HEAT is supposed to be that exact same mechanic. After all only mechs with fusion power sources even need heatsinks, internal combustion engine mechs do not require heatsinks because they do not draw from a reactor.

A simple 30 threshold and BAM, you have your energy draw system. ...What is... oh god.. I can't stand listening to this.
----
To mention, threshold is the limit of how much heat you can generate at any one time before the mech shuts down.

On a heat neutral map, in MWO, depending on how you build your mech you can generate up to 103 heat before shutdown. On cold maps, this goes up to over 127.

On hot maps, this can go as low as 30 (10 single heatsink mech with NO unlocks - 25% threshold on Terra Therma = 30 threshold, I **** you not. Try firing 2 ER PPCs with a brand new 10 SHS mech on Terra Therma. Or 3 PPCs. Seriously. Try any weapon combination, and remember that with true 10 2.0 DHS you'd cool from 30 threshold in 15 seconds; on Terra Therma your temperature slows down cooling so keep that in mind.)

Edited by Koniving, 08 August 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#5 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

View PostKoniving, on 07 August 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

They're talking about energy draw from reactors to restrict how much you can fire at once... Funny thing is that HEAT is supposed to be that exact same mechanic. After all only mechs with fusion power sources even need heatsinks, internal combustion engine mechs do not require heatsinks because they do not draw from a reactor.

A simple 30 threshold and BAM, you have your energy draw system. ...What is... oh god.. I can't stand listening to this.

A 30 heat threshold with the kind of heat sink efficiency and speed from games like MW2 you mean, right? Then again, we might already have that and the heat scale is just so inflated it seems slower....

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 07 August 2014 - 06:08 AM, said:

A 30 heat threshold with the kind of heat sink efficiency and speed from games like MW2 you mean, right? Then again, we might already have that and the heat scale is just so inflated it seems slower....

So long as your engine is above 2.0 and until you reach 18 DHS, we actually have better than 2.0 heat efficiency with every DHS in our mechs thanks to the mech skill tree.

Tabletop: 16 DHS.
3.2/sec cooling
30 threshold

MWO: 16 DHS 250 engine elites.
Cooling Rate : 3.27 heat/sec
Heat Threshold : 70.08

Tabletop: 17 DHS.
3.4/sec cooling
30 threshold.

MWO 17 DHS 250 engine elites.

Cooling Rate : 3.43 heat/sec
Heat Threshold : 71.75999999999999

Gotta hit 18 to get a negative amount.

That threshold is why we can fire so much.
With that 17 DHS 250 engine and elites on MWO a 2 ER PPC + Gauss mech can...
Spoiler

That's 3 firings in a row, non-stop, and no overheat. It'll make a 4th firing before it shuts down.
With that 17 DHS and 30 threshold (note: no rising threshold means we can have 2.0 DHS no matter how many heatsinks we have or what engine).
Spoiler

We just removed the problem entirely. Simple. Easy.
That's literally one shot per ten seconds, a glass cannon. Can't even jump and do it without practically killing yourself. Problem solved. Not only that but unlike ghost heat, it'll cover ALL weapon systems within the same rules with no "getting around it" loopholes that ghost heat provides.

With that 17 DHS and 30 threshold (note: no rising threshold means we can have 2.0 DHS no matter how many heatsinks we have or what engine). Note, we're going to apply MWO skill tree to this as well.
17 DHS = 30 threshold, 3.4/sec cooling.
+ 20% threshold. + 15% cooling.
36 threshold. 3.91/sec cooling.
Spoiler

This time we squeezed out three shots but shutdown twice. Telling us how overpowered the skill tree system is.
The MWO heat sim for fun.
http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/

#7 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

12v10 is NOT the way to go, iv said it many times before.

#8 TibsVT

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 421 posts
  • LocationIronhold (Sydney, Australia)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Finally 10v12! About time PGI gave the Clanners what they want.

Very pleased with what I see in the August update. Very pleased.

I haven't yet listened to the NGNG audio but from what Pariah has been saying it's very unlikely I will. Sounds like it will just make me more annoyed than the people who say Clans are P2W.

On a semi-side note for anyone who played the original PlanetSide; has anyone noticed how people are attempting to nerf Clans in a similar manner to how SOE dealt with the BFR's? The, 'Beat them down til no one plays them' approach.

On yet another side note it would seem to me as though NGNG has picked up the same pitch fork and torch combo that MGL usually does whenever something doesn't cater to their specific needs. Complain and over exaggerate the situation until the devs give them what they want to keep the brand-name supporters happy.

Edited by KelesK, 07 August 2014 - 08:37 PM.

#9 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 07 August 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

I respect very much your opinion. I may have missed or forgotten about your comments about 12vs10.. May you remind me why you think it is not the way to go? ;)

#10 Edward Mattlov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 388 posts
  • LocationIronhold

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:33 AM

Finally listened to this, nothing but Clans are OP, nerf the Dire Wolf! These supposed "top tier" players are afraid of a Dire Wolf? If you take away the Dire Wolf's long range pinpoint damage, then you will never see Dire Wolves in any 12 man, or competitive teams. These guys need to try playing a "Dire Whale" in a pug match and see how long they last.

Also, the reason clan mechs are OP, is because clans were supposed to always be outnumbered. Please, PGI, just make MWO 3025 and rename this game, so you can make it C.O.D. with paint ball guns and make everyone happy.

View Postpbiggz, on 07 August 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

Ah, but it is. Comp teams still use mostly IS mechs, with the exception of the Timber Wolf and maybe one Dire Whale. Nothing will help the solo queue, you reap what you sow. People wanted to drop solo and bring any mech they had, so that is what you get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users