Mechwarrior Franchise Owned By The People

41 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Boom

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

This might be a rant. But I just spent 8 hours of fighting the "windows experience" to enjoy my "mechwarrior experience.

I've been reading about the limitations on what PGI is legally able to do, and not do. It makes me a little ill, that as a Mechwarrior enthusiast, that my gaming experience is limited to what private corporate agendas restrict and enforce, just to better their own business models. Which means profits.

Mechwarrior 5 was crowd funded. The response was a resounding success!! of course it was, we the community LOVE our Mechwarrior.... And sadly that probably has driven up the value of those very patents held by unsavoury patent trolls.

Would the community of Mechwarrior ever consider, to crowd fund, take back our Mechwarrior rights and collectively stomp out the vermin that troll mechwarrior to their own brand of operating system?

Mechwarrior originally debuted on Nintendo. Am I right? It was only when Mechwarrior 2 came onto windows 95, that Windows had a taste of.... THE COMMUNITY... that is.... US. It was because of us, and our enthusiasm that prompted Microsoft to see how they could stab our wallets as a new business model, and now as the latest garbage sinks, Mechwarrior becomes on last business vestiges to maintain any form of incentive to buy the garbage, passed off as Windows 8.

This might be a rant. But I just spent 8 hours of fighting the "windows experience" to enjoy my "mechwarrior experience.

When all that is necessary, is to let Mechwarrior go open source, owned by the community. Like how the internet is owned by the population, and not microsoft, as they repugnantly attempted to claim.

Why can't we use steam, for example, to load Mechwarrior and enjoy our favourite game on what ever platform we choose. Our choice. Ours. Not theirs. Why can't I choose my OS experience, as well as my Mechwarrior experience?

Sorry for the rant. I work in a datacenter, and fix windows machines. (My employer can't afford to upgrade to linux, because Microsoft errors keep costing him so much downtime). This is why I own nothing but Mac and linux at home. And you know what? LIFE IS GOOD! although... it would be great if everyone else who knows better (like me) .... could also have the choice, to throw money at PGI and play Mechwarrior 5. That would be perfect. Wouldn't it?

Thanks for listening to my long rant.
10 years of fixing windows at a datacenter. There is nothing anyone can say, to justify owning that appalling piece of garbage. If I have a hate of for windows... well, it's well seasoned. Let's just say that. I really could go on, and please don't poke.

All this post was about is SUMAMRY
Mechwarrior communitty to own their own gaming experience! - even if that means crowd funding to eliminate artificial restrictions. As per patent troll agenda.

That's it. That's really all I wanted to say.

#2 Captain Boom

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

Ah! this probably get's the point across better:

Net neutrality .... the idea that humanity prevails over greed. (Remember Microsoft VS Humanity?) Link

Mechwarrior Neutrality ... (OS neutrality) the idea that community prevails over greed.. see link above.

#3 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Ain't gunna happen. But it was an okay rant.

#4 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

Its definitely unfortunate - it would better if there wasn't a monopoly on MechWarrior. I think people would like a return to "non-f2p" MW.

The fans of "Good ol Games" have also been petitioning for a long time to get all the MechWarrior games up and working, in order to buy them from that site, but Microsoft and IGP seem to have MW locked down, which is a shame.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

Mechwarrior debuted on the PC in 1989. The SNES didn't get its port till '93.

Dirty console gaming peasants!

#6 Mirkk Defwode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 748 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Wa

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

Well it's more IGP than MS at this point.

MS leased the IP over to IGP and didn't have a ton of restrictions on it that I'm aware of. While IGP has pushed MWtactics and MWO. They seem to want to rely on the F2P model as their means of support for these titles.

While F2P isn't always successful despite a rabid fanbase for the franchise. I've been one since I was 12 and played MW2 on PC.

It'll be up to whomever is publishing the titles to really make the call on revitializing them. Personally I think if MWO takes off and they get the appropriate support and the game settles in to have good behavior it could be possible to expand up on it for a Single Player campaign. While keeping the existing MP architecture as the defined MP version of the title. Then that campaign can be expanded on over time with iterative new content for the people looking for that.

I'd like to see another campaign done akin to MW2 Mercs with the limited contract options and selecting too many contracts from one faction eliminating you for getting them from another (yup, that looks a lot like how the Community Warfare factional system is supposed to work).

Other tie-ins could be done like the campaign unit is something you make up, or have the option to select the one from Community Warfare and represent that name and it's fictional resources over to the campaign. A dummy income system can be done and hooked between the single player and multiplayer for Cbills or assets making it so the first run through the single player yields some beneficial effects for the MP "Units." This would be done akin to Battlefield 3 and 4 campaign rewards of weapons/badges.

Lots of interesting things that can be done to bolster this.

#7 McTough

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

This is kinda silly and embarrassing.

Why don't you just begin by creating your own unique IP related to mech warfare? Don't complain about something that you didn't create. As well as Battletech, there is plenty of other original content out there already, such as Titans of Steel and Earthsiege, that you can take inspiration from.

#8 CaptainBoom

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm feeling a bit better today.

The machine I have running dual-boot with windows and Mechwarrior, has been formatted. The windows experience has finally overtaken the weight of joy that is offered by MWO. I never thought this would be the case, but... yes, even MW5 has it's limits. Sadly... Windows has achieved a greater portion of experience than MWO experience.

You know.... I can see that Microsoft has tens of thousands of employees, because it would take that much people to pool their efforts together to achieve this level new level of.... poop? I think that's the nicest word that comes to mind.

So steam and Ubuntu is on the machine. Wow... what a difference. Quality of life... feels like... there's nothing in between me and the experience of using the internet. Which is where everything seems to happen now.

Now then... WineHQ and Linux. We're going to make MWO work on Linux... at Linux speed. I'm going to tap into that community and my friends, to see what humanity has to say about this.

I vow to help make this happen, for the sake of the community. We deserve the right to abandon this ship... I said ship... that is Windows, and move onto something lighter, that doesn't stop us from enjoying our game, what seems like every other week. You know what I mean! lol

Wish me luck!

Edited by CaptainBoom, 13 August 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#9 CaptainBoom

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

https://appdb.winehq...rnTo=&iId=26976

Thought you all might like to know, that some progress is already made on this:
Full credits to Marcel Busse, who has found tricks to enable this on Mac.

by Marcel Busse on Tuesday April 22nd 2014, 14:23

install no, copied piranha folder from windows.

install as below except i have to use dx_43 + compiler cause many maps bugged out due to a hlsl shader bug that is in dx_36.

also set videomemorysize to 8192. you dont need to put in here your real vramsize, cause opengl is able to use also your normal ram. else mwo fails with a mipmap error.

im running it on a mac installed wine with Homebrew (www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/)

im playing it with max settings :P and it is running without bugs so far.

tip: run it in a fullscreenwindow, your able it then to change to your console window and do a "ps -A" and a "kill -9 'number of mwo process'" to get out of mwo if crashed.

Edited by CaptainBoom, 12 August 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#10 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

MW5?

#11 CaptainBoom

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

http://www.davidbaum...rials/wine-mac/

If anyone else wants to join in. This is a great place to start your own tests :P

Yes... this get's MWO running on Mac. I will be back with results by end of the week. Anyone is welcome to try too :P

Good luck!!

Edited by CaptainBoom, 13 August 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#12 The Gruntmaster 6000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPraying

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

The rant is exactly that. A rant. The problem is that a big name IP cannot be "owned by the people" because PEOPLE ARE STUPID, PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND BUISENESS, PEOPLE DISAGREE TO MUCH, and it would lead to an internal strife between people who want this and that and people who want something else. Now rereleasing old games of a franchise? AWESOME! It is a great thing to do (also builds up the name of the IP), but when it is owned by the fans.... bad things happen. You know what happens when an IP takes all its stuff from fans?

Diablo III
Resident Evil Movies
Bad Mods
Alien Resurrection
Alien 3
Star Wars VII (which is predestined to be bad)
Jar Jar Binks (made because they wanted Action figures)
Ewoks (action figures)
LOTR:O (good grief the amount of Middle Earth inaccuracies is astounding. I was in a Tolkien Group -how I met Marack Drock-)
MW Fan fiction that was released without authorization-
(Berserkerbanden ("Berserker Gangs") by Lars Jirmann. Published October 2005.
The exploits of a very top-heavy mercenary unit with cutting-edge equipment and elite personnell, some of them of Clan origin.
An unauthorized and therefore entirely non-canonical publication that was quickly pulled from the market; amounts to mere fan fiction)

I know I am being crude but a series (with a few exceptions) run by fans is just not a good thing. MW:LL was great.

#13 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hm, running Mechwarrior 5 on a Mac and complaining that the emulatet Windows has chrashed ?
Dude, is that serious ? :)

No doubt, Apple sells good software bundled with an expensive PC as dongle.
While the Hardware isn't bad it the price is very high if you compare it to the same GPU / CPUs that are aviable for Windows PCs.
And Apple is a company with a history of lawsuits regarding the claimed abuse of their intellectual property... If Microsoft is "evil because profit", than Apple is evil too...

#14 The Gruntmaster 6000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPraying

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

NO MACINTOSH!
Posted Image

#15 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostThe Advisor, on 12 August 2014 - 01:45 PM, said:

The rant is exactly that. A rant. The problem is that a big name IP cannot be "owned by the people" because PEOPLE ARE STUPID, PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND BUISENESS, PEOPLE DISAGREE TO MUCH, and it would lead to an internal strife between people who want this and that and people who want something else.

That's the reason why every succesful revolution need a PEOPLEs LEADER. :)
He decides for THE PEOPLE what is good or bad for them, he smashes THE ENEMYS OF THE PEOLPE, and even if he kills a lot of his people they still love him because at least he doesn't doing it for profit.
Strangely no society with a PEOPLEs LEADER have ever created a IP like Battletech, Star Wars or Middle Earth. Or Video Games. :P
http://theoatmeal.co...rth_south_korea

#16 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

F'in hippies...

#17 CaptainBoom

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for the responses. I can see it's going to be fun being part of this community. Thanks for sharing your opinions, I enjoyed reading all them.

I LOVE THE ANGRY face meme... lol
That was sarcasm at it's best.

Nah, I don't suggest Mac is the highest thing in the line of software, or corporate practices. Mmmm basically... Non-Windows-OS. Hey, I'd be into Google Chromium as an OS, but that's not going to help me play MWO.

If you where to ask me which one I think is best?.... I might say Google Chromium. It's so light weight and pleasant. Hardware is good value too. Not like Mac.

I'm a fan of a lot of these operating systems. Just not Windows. Windows specifically, has burned their bridges with me. Over and over. Ya... I am biased. I fix these machines. Between us..... if you want to learn how to curse... that is... swear... properly. Get into fixing windows machines. There is no job on earth more frustrating than this.

Am I wrong? - yes, I'm derailing my thread, but this is a good cause. Besides, I can still add WineHQ results for my research on Mac-MWO and Linux MWO.

Cheers!

:)

#18 The Gruntmaster 6000

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPraying

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

That's the reason why every succesful revolution need a PEOPLEs LEADER. :)
He decides for THE PEOPLE what is good or bad for them, he smashes THE ENEMYS OF THE PEOLPE, and even if he kills a lot of his people they still love him because at least he doesn't doing it for profit.
Strangely no society with a PEOPLEs LEADER have ever created a IP like Battletech, Star Wars or Middle Earth. Or Video Games. :P

And a lot of people's leaders usually ended up dying before their 1st year was over from the people who were his enemy (which in this community is a good size).

#19 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Looking forward to the results of your attempts to get MWO running on Linux. I'd love to be able to play this on Ubuntu instead of just running a Windows OS purely for this game.

#20 Lexx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSlung below a mech's arm shooting nothing but dirt

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

What game are you guys referring to as MW5?

MW5 was a speculative name for the game back when this video came out and no one really knew what it was yet.

MWO is not MW5, so unless you are talking about some crappy FPS military shootemup game, I'd like to know which game you are referring to?

Compared to some of the players in this community, I really wouldn't go calling yourself a "Mechwarrior enthusiast" around here if you really thought the first Mechwarrior video game was on the nintendo entertainment system. You seem more like a casual mech fan to me.

But there is one thing you have right; Microsoft does still own the rights to all Mechwarrior video games right now and they don't seem willing to sell them to anyone. IGP/PGI are just leasing them from Microsoft and they could pull the plug on this game at any time if they chose to. That's a pretty scary thought!

View PostWintersdark, on 11 August 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

Mechwarrior debuted on the PC in 1989. The SNES didn't get its port till '93.

Dirty console gaming peasants!

I was playing Battletech, the Crescent Hawk's Inception on my Apple 2 back in 1988, so it's even older than you think it is. The game was also available for DOS. It might not have had Mechwarrior in the title, but it was definitely a Mechwarrior game.

Edited by Lexx, 13 August 2014 - 02:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users