#21 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 14 August 2014 - 04:01 AM, said:

jump jets are fixed. We're talking 65 tonne walking robots. What they could do before was ridiculous.

They keep saying that they start with TableTop values and slightly "tune" it from there. In TT, one JJ gives you a 30m jump radius. My Catapult has four, which should give me a 120m jump length, and a four level - 40m - jump height. That kind of thrust would let me jump up, and brake my own descent. Worried about pop tarts? Watch as people build specialized anti-poptart mechs that are made specifically for taking them down. I mean, seriously. Now that some Clan mechs are out, load a Black Hawk with ER Large Lasers and Jump Jets, and watch as he/she starts headshotting poptarting mechs. Things will balance themselves out, without having to nerf things until they aren't used, or buff things into one hit wonders.

#22 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

View PostJuiceCaboose, on 15 August 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

They keep saying that they start with TableTop values and slightly "tune" it from there. In TT, one JJ gives you a 30m jump radius. My Catapult has four, which should give me a 120m jump length, and a four level - 40m - jump height. That kind of thrust would let me jump up, and brake my own descent. Worried about pop tarts? Watch as people build specialized anti-poptart mechs that are made specifically for taking them down. I mean, seriously. Now that some Clan mechs are out, load a Black Hawk with ER Large Lasers and Jump Jets, and watch as he/she starts headshotting poptarting mechs. Things will balance themselves out, without having to nerf things until they aren't used, or buff things into one hit wonders.

Use TT values? I don't think a single individual under the employ of PGI or IGP has ever even cracked open a TRO or rulebook regarding CBT. Their balance decisions reek of Sarna skimming at best.

#23 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan of Yazoo, on 15 August 2014 - 11:42 AM, said:

Use TT values? I don't think a single individual under the employ of PGI or IGP has ever even cracked open a TRO or rulebook regarding CBT. Their balance decisions reek of Sarna skimming at best.

no way they even know what Sarna is either

#24 Bad Andy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

poptarting is a symptom of pinpoint damage, the way to fix that is to add cone of fire when moving fast/high heat/jumpjetting. Not by making jumpjets pathetic.

#25 Scouten

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 93 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:42 AM

i wish my summoner could rips its only legs of and crawl just so i can have that tonnage for weapons having like 15 tons for guns is just pathetic

#26 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

View PostBad Andy, on 15 August 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

poptarting is a symptom of pinpoint damage, the way to fix that is to add cone of fire when moving fast/high heat/jumpjetting. Not by making jumpjets pathetic.

amen, and said so many times throughout the community

#27 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

View PostBad Andy, on 15 August 2014 - 10:18 PM, said:

Well put. The thing is, if poptart builds stick around long enough, pretty soon people will make anti-poptart builds, especially with the Clan ER LL.

#28 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostLord Scarlett Johan of Yazoo, on 14 August 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

You can't fault PGI for this one. This is what the community wanted. Now you all have it. I believe there is a saying about "reap" and "sow" to accompany this change.

This is what a tenth of the community wanted. Why is it the people who go "OMG WTF WHY CAN'T I WIN?!" get listened to over the people who put some thought and effort into their arguments to make them convincing? This isn't the "community", this is a cheap cop-out saying "Well, *someone* asked us to do this. Here you go!"

#29 Ghostbear Gurdel

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

I think the solution is to make all Jump Jets work in a parabola. 1 Jump jet moves you 30 meters up AND forward. period. Extra jump jets give you more height, but also forward movement. So a jump sniper will very likely jump out of cover to get that pop tarting effect.

#30 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostGhostbear Gurdel, on 17 August 2014 - 03:40 PM, said:

I think the solution is to make all Jump Jets work in a parabola. 1 Jump jet moves you 30 meters up AND forward. period. Extra jump jets give you more height, but also forward movement. So a jump sniper will very likely jump out of cover to get that pop tarting effect.

According to TT, one JJ gets you 30m of distance and 10m of height. So, in TT, a HGN-732 could jump 3 hexes or jump up on top of a 3 Level object, be it terrain or a building. And most mechs are 2 Level objects, which means all mechs should be able to jump at least as high as the Atlas is tall with two JJs, which also means that the Summoner and Nova should be getting some serious air with their five JJs.

#31 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

Even if you forget about poptarting, jump jets used to give you an immense advantage for a price of one or two heat sinks. The only competitive mechs were those with JJ.

#32 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostKmieciu, on 17 August 2014 - 10:22 PM, said:

Even if you forget about poptarting, jump jets used to give you an immense advantage for a price of one or two heat sinks. The only competitive mechs were those with JJ.

Because PGI can't map themselves out of a box. If they didn't have such ridiculous movement penalties and such poorly designed maps then JJs wouldn't be such a must.

#33 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,943 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users