lrm longrangemissile clan

94 replies to this topic

#21 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

Sorry, going to agree with others here. LRM by itself not OP currently. I think LRM's alone are in a pretty good place currently.

This goes out the window when you get LRM's combined with a Narc equipped light, especially an ECM light with Narc. Often you don't even get a chance to hit the ECM equipped light which attaches Narc beacons one by one to your team. The ECM allows them to minimize their exposure to getting shot and when you get narced if you don't have an AMS or two bare minimum OR be lucky enough to be near tall buildings or mountains you are boned.

ECM lights using NARC and LRM support are near OP right now. By themselves they're not but you come up against even just a 3-4 man doing this and they are raking in the the Bills and XP.

#22 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostUBCslayer, on 14 August 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Forget all your other strategies for avoiding LRM`s... here is the way it`s done:

The other option is to hire a kit fox as your personal bodyguard :D

#23 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 14 August 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

Radar depravation
Radar depravation
Radar depravation

Remember this module well. This is your first priority for your gxp and the single best cbill investment you can make to counter lrms.

Buy one ASAP and bring it on every match by switching it between your different mechs.

With this one module and smart tactics using cover lrms become a non-issue unless you are NARCed.

The only mech that shouldn't have that module in one of its slots is one that has ECM.

#24 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

View PostRuneOfDeath, on 13 August 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

IMO, lrms are really overpowered as they are right now: playing mostly brawlers, i can rarely even get in range of my main weapons without being torn apart by a lrm-30 kitfox (1on1, no other mechs involved) What I see as the main problem is that clanners can just carry way too many lrms because of the low weight of clan lrms. For that reason, it feels like half the mechs on the battlefield are lrm boats which is, IMO, a clear indicator that theyre overpowered, otherwise, they wouldnt be used so extremely much. Please leave your opinions on this topic here.

LRMs are the weakest weapons in the game. Too many variables and counters to be consistent. The issue you are experience is the increased number of TBRs that have plenty of crit space to have LRMs mounted.

Edited by mogs01gt, 14 August 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#25 Karzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

LRMs are weakest, please don't nerf them, they only get 500~600 DMG on average per game.

#26 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

Quite frankly, LRM's(with Narc/TAG support) are ridiculous as it stands. I've seen guys sticking together, everyone with at least one AMS, get ripped to shreds by a few teams with a good Narcer targeting guys for even three LRM boats. A single AMS usually negates 4-8 missiles in a volley(from a good 80-120 rounds), and when a Clan and IS LRM boat are focusing on the same target, your ammo is gone in no time and so are you. ECM continues to be barely adequate if even one guy with a BAP and Narc decides to close, and now that the main counters to LRM boats(i.e. ERLLas, PPC/ERPPC) have been nerfbatted, LRMs are even more of an issue. I'd love to see them bumped back to 1 damage(from 1.1), have a 20-30% wider spread, and fly about 15% slower. This would in my opinion, fix most of the current issues with the Narc spam without doing anything too drastic, that or we could just bring back ERLLas and PPCs how they used to be, put LRMs at their canonical 1 damage, and slow flight speed down just a bit. And in before "th4t wood mak lrms usel3ss!11eleven!!!11!!!" LRM ranges were 630m in tabletop, 1000m is far too gracious a range for them to have compared to the other weapons.

Edited by Davoke, 14 August 2014 - 10:42 AM.

#27 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostRuneOfDeath, on 14 August 2014 - 04:05 AM, said:

Thanks for all your answers, i guess ill get that module. I wouldnt say that I am an unskilled player, I may just have misunderstood how lrms should work in the game. i thought of them as a support weapon, not an actual damage dealer, but it seems i was wrong.

Thats a very honest and upright answer. LRMs, just like a mortar crew on the battlefield should not be sneered at, but respected for what it is. It should intimidate and make people fear it because the death comes without warning and can be life altering in seconds. Its also not easy, not effective in all situations and definitely will not be the force that wins the war, but can turn the tide of battle.

#28 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:11 AM

View PostMercworks, on 14 August 2014 - 10:09 AM, said:

The only mech that shouldn't have that module in one of its slots is one that has ECM.

Oh yes you do want it. Use ALLLLLL the crutches! When that tag falls on you, and you break LOS, bing! done. Good luck getting those missiles to hit. I know because I've done it and I do it when I bring my raven "Crutches" out for a stroll.

#29 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostRuneOfDeath, on 13 August 2014 - 12:30 PM, said:

IMO, lrms are really overpowered as they are right now: playing mostly brawlers, i can rarely even get in range of my main weapons without being torn apart by a lrm-30 kitfox (1on1, no other mechs involved) What I see as the main problem is that clanners can just carry way too many lrms because of the low weight of clan lrms. For that reason, it feels like half the mechs on the battlefield are lrm boats which is, IMO, a clear indicator that theyre overpowered, otherwise, they wouldnt be used so extremely much. Please leave your opinions on this topic here.

Dude, you play the false Brawlers.
Get a DDC with ECM, 2 LB-X 10s and 3 SRM 6.
Or a Timberwolf with Clan 4 ER-Med, 3 Machine Guns, and 4 SRM 6 and Jump Jets.
Or learn how to Poptart with a Shadowhawk or Cataphract.

You should also spend 15 000 GXP and 6 000 000 C-Bills on the RADAR DEPRIVATION Module.

#30 Nazar24

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 94 posts
  • LocationItalia

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I feel that this topic kinda derailed from guide and strategies.
Lets not debate on what is and whats not op and how to adjust that.

Help Runeofdeath and the other newcomers, give some advice, link videos, help them dealing with those pesky lrms.

ECM lights using NARC and LRM support are near OP right now. By themselves they're not but you come up against even just a 3-4 man doing this and they are raking in the the Bills and XP

For example, if i see a 4 man doing narc-tag, the first thing that comes to my mind is "unleash the hounds!".
While the non light part of your team does heavy stuff, the lights have to lure the "tag team", (still remaining in an area with good cover ).
a narcer light gives up 12 damage, opposed to a more brawlier light, a tag is still a 5 damage less than a medium laser, and those missiles that the lrm buddies may throw at your lights will just hit the ground behind them, (as long as they keep in mind "speed is life").
If the enemies stays then gang up on them, if they run they just cant spot.

Your team can even charge the enemy. The enemy team has already give up some serius brawl potential with the light,and the lurmer, giving you the edge.

This are fairly complicated tricks to pull of in a pug, or even in premade. So any other ideas?

Other than that, when you see a swarm of lrm directed to a friendly and you have nothing better to do, give him support with your ams if you have one, and check if he have a narc or tag icon over his head.
If yes write "the enemy has a narc/tag keep an eye on that".
A dual gauss on an unsuspecting ecm spotter and he will be doomed :D

Edited by Nazar24, 14 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.

#31 RuneOfDeath

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostNazar24, on 14 August 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Help Runeofdeath and the other newcomers, give some advice, link videos, help them dealing with those pesky lrms.

I`m not actually a newcomer, played that game since the beginning of 2013, just had a break for about 2 months in which lrms changed a lot (with narc finally being useful), still thanks for the feedback, I'm actually a bit better yet:)

Edited by RuneOfDeath, 14 August 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#32 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Narc does 2 things:
Holding locks and focus fire.

Narc locks hold for themselves, so unless a hit player hides under ECM, the lock will be a vailable to erveryone on the team, which directly leads to the second thing. Focus fire happens through players identifying the Narc symbol and chosing it as the most appropriate target to aim for. Narc also provides some passive bonuses to Missiles, so aiming for the 'Mech becomes even more attractive. Through this, even a fairly uncoordinated team can use the Narc to focus fire their missiles onto a single target. If most of those hit, that of course crate a huge amount of piled up damage, even if the individual salvos aren't as effective.

#33 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

View PostDavoke, on 14 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

Quite frankly, LRM's(with Narc/TAG support) are ridiculous as it stands. I've seen guys sticking together, everyone with at least one AMS, get ripped to shreds by a few teams with a good Narcer targeting guys for even three LRM boats. A single AMS usually negates 4-8 missiles in a volley(from a good 80-120 rounds), and when a Clan and IS LRM boat are focusing on the same target, your ammo is gone in no time and so are you. ECM continues to be barely adequate if even one guy with a BAP and Narc decides to close, and now that the main counters to LRM boats(i.e. ERLLas, PPC/ERPPC) have been nerfbatted, LRMs are even more of an issue. I'd love to see them bumped back to 1 damage(from 1.1), have a 20-30% wider spread, and fly about 15% slower. This would in my opinion, fix most of the current issues with the Narc spam without doing anything too drastic, that or we could just bring back ERLLas and PPCs how they used to be, put LRMs at their canonical 1 damage, and slow flight speed down just a bit. And in before "th4t wood mak lrms usel3ss!11eleven!!!11!!!" LRM ranges were 630m in tabletop, 1000m is far too gracious a range for them to have compared to the other weapons.

A lot of people seem to think that ams is the way to neutralize lrms. That's a noobie trap. IMO unless you are a kitfox ams is worthless. You need redundant ecm, radar depravation, good terrain utilization and aggressive offensive actiin viaand accurate long range direct fire to neutralize lrms.

#34 Big Tin Man

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

A couple of funny things:

1. My group has run 3 triple AMS kitfoxes in a match. No LRM's hit anyone, ever. Kitfox is for support, and support it does
2. NARCing works now, and people do it! Something in the game works! Huzzah!
3. Has anyone thought that the recent spike in LRM use is attributed to 1. Auto-refilling smokeageddon counter and 2. LRM's stay on target through rubberbanding? o.O

#35 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Totally not overpowered. The work in the single-person queue, because
- some folks are simply not as skilled at avoiding them
- not everyone is packing radar deprivation, etc.
- AMS blankets and ECM umbrellas are random - some matches you may have them, others not - and it's LRM time when yo don't
- since teams don't coordinate well in the solo queue, lots of things can work ... poorer mechs, poorer weapons, etc.

FYI - the only time I have seen LRMs really work reliably in the group queue is when a large-ish (8+) group brings 2+ ECM, 2+Narcs and 2+ LRM boats + support ... had a match a while back on Caustic where the enemy had 2 narcing Ravens and 4 mucho-tubes-and-ammo LRM boats.

#36 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

personally i don't think so, to me they are finally in a place that they can do some damage and get some kills with out having to have a team of boats..

Though often i must say, i love seeing boats in some of my mechs.. Nothing like rushing a boat, and blowing them up while you are in close and personal.

On the flip side, i would much rather get a LRM warning and have a chance, than peak my head around a corner only to get a double Gauss in the face, and basically be screwed in that part for the entire match.

#37 Grifthin

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostNazar24, on 14 August 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

I feel that this topic kinda derailed from guide and strategies.
Lets not debate on what is and whats not op and how to adjust that.

For example, if i see a 4 man doing narc-tag, the first thing that comes to my mind is "unleash the hounds!".
While the non light part of your team does heavy stuff, the lights have to lure the "tag team", (still remaining in an area with good cover ).
a narcer light gives up 12 damage, opposed to a more brawlier light, a tag is still a 5 damage less than a medium laser, and those missiles that the lrm buddies may throw at your lights will just hit the ground behind them, (as long as they keep in mind "speed is life").
If the enemies stays then gang up on them, if they run they just cant spot.

Your team can even charge the enemy. The enemy team has already give up some serius brawl potential with the light,and the lurmer, giving you the edge.

This are fairly complicated tricks to pull of in a pug, or even in premade. So any other ideas?

Other than that, when you see a swarm of lrm directed to a friendly and you have nothing better to do, give him support with your ams if you have one, and check if he have a narc or tag icon over his head.
If yes write "the enemy has a narc/tag keep an eye on that".
A dual gauss on an unsuspecting ecm spotter and he will be doomed ;)

Fit AMS - If your team has AMS you can shoot down NARCS. But no one uses AMS. Sigh.

#38 n0e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

View Postbossclan, on 13 August 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I have been playing this game for quite a long time ...

No you are not. I quit this game two times before you even started playing.

#39 RuneOfDeath

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:00 PM

View Postn0e, on 16 August 2014 - 02:21 AM, said:

No you are not. I quit this game two times before you even started playing.

How could you know ;) I really have... just didnt get used to the lrms as they are right know. But I gotta say, after all you guys' tips and help, I'm doing a lot better:)

Edited by RuneOfDeath, 16 August 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#40 Bartholomew bartholomew

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

one of these days I am gonna go through all these lurms are OP threads. Write down the names of the main complainers. And then keep the list handy while playing. Just so I know who the easy targets are...

Edit, RuneOfDeath. Glad to hear you are getting better, so you stay off the list. ;)

Edited by Bartholomew bartholomew, 16 August 2014 - 12:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users