Meh Fps Regardless Of Settings

13 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbo3771

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:03 AM

I am presuming this is due to lack of optimization, but regardless of settings I always get 60fps with dips into 20 in specific areas.

I am running an Asus laptop with the following hardware:

i5 4200U @ 2.5ghz
GT745M
8GB DDR3

Pretty sure it is not my rig, as this rig should be able to play on low with a solid 60, plus the frame rate and dips are the same on every setting. Most other games I play between medium and high with AA and PhysX off to give me a solid 60 frames.

Is there a way around this?

I hear about these custom .cfg files, anyone got something they can help me with?

#2 Kuga ZA

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 95 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

I am running.

i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz
2 x Gigabyte 770TI
32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz

And I get crap FPS

#3 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Greetings all,

At some point over the last few month's it was mentioned by the Dev.'s that they currently had a 'cap' on the FPS.

- I have forgotten what there reason was, but it was set at 60FPS. And may have been an engine issue.
- Additional D11 and 9c improvements are done but they are waiting for Nvidia to update there drivers before it can be implemented. (same with the CPU to GPU SLI code)

This rather sucks for those that have cards and monitors that are capable of much higher capabilities.

Update:
- The FE (front end) is capped at 60FPS, however looks like the way the FPS is being reported is wrong. If your computer can handle it set your sys_MaxFPS = 80 and you should see 80 FPS only in the game, FE will always be capped at 60 FPS.
- The initial setup of Crytek had a mistake, this has been corrected. The cap was there but how they were doing the cap had a mistake in it. This has been corrected and will be in the next patch. (back in Jan)

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 15 August 2014 - 05:11 PM.

#4 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm sure the information provided by 9erRed is correct, but I still cannot imagine this has been fixed or even addressed. I have been having FPS drops for at least 6 months in matches. Nothing seems to have fixed this for me. Even working with PGI support has not helped.

Now I do not have the best rig out there, but it plays all graphic intensive games without any issues and I have not had any noticeable lagging or FPS issues in any other game.

Even upgrading my video card did not do the trick. The worst part is the FPS drops no matter what the video settings are. This occurs if I turn off all video settings such as Damage Glow, V-Sync, Motion Blur, etc and set my System Specification to Low. My experience is the exact same whether I play it on Ultra High or Low, except for the really crappy graphics on low.

Currently I am running the following:
250GB Samsung SSD
i7 Processor
12 GB or Memory
GeForce GTX 760
Speed test are always over 30mbps and my ping in game is never over 50-60 (usually in the 30's)

Working with support has not been very helpful either. Grant it they are always very prompt to reply with a suggestion, but most don't work. Now I am told they believe it is a local issue on my end and to run the repair tool and wait for the next patch each time I report that it is still dropping. After not making progress I just stopped communication with support in June and figured I would just check it out after each patch on my own.

In addition to all of that I sleuthed through the forums to see if I could find any help and found several articles with suggestions, but nothing there did the trick either.

All of that let me to try erasing my system and reloading Windows 8 64x from scratch. I did that in mid June, and with just Windows 8, the newest hardware drivers, and MWO installed I still have the exact same issue.

I have also started to started to experience an even stranger lag at times. I don't know exactly when this started but I have only really noticed it since the end of July. This lag is weird in the fact that it looks like everything is normally. Other mechs are moving and not running in place, you are firing and moving and that looks mostly correct as well. Occasionally the firing does not respond right away during that time, which is the only hint of this lag that I have noticed, but it does fire. When I pick up on this lag I immediately stop everything and don't move or fire until the lag is done. The reason is when the lag stops I am never where I thought I was, sometimes I even end up on the other side of the map as if I was transported there. Usually I die a fiery death when this happens, but ever once in a while I pop up behind my own team and any firing I did during the lag immediately fires again, which your teammates (as you can imagine) don't appreciate.

Not sure if it is related to the FPS drop or not, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

#5 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

What i7 are you running? Is your ram in tri channel? If it isn't, it's slowing you down.

#6 One of Little Harmony

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

It's your card. A 745M isn't very powerful, about the same level as a desktop GTX275. It's kind of misleading how Nvidia markets their mobile graphics cards, In my experience, with modern cards the difference between very high and low is pretty minimal except for ... I think it's shadows. The taxing settings were stated in an announcement or command chair post sometime this year before clans came out.

If you want to play this game on a laptop with decent framerate (40-50) these are the Nvidia cards what will do it with the current state of the game:

GeForce GTX 880M
GeForce GTX 780M
GeForce GTX 680MX
GeForce GTX 870M
GeForce GTX 680M
GeForce GTX 775M
GeForce GTX 770M
GeForce GTX 860M
GeForce GTX 675MX
GeForce GTX 850M

Or these cards in SLI:
GeForce GTX 675M SLI
GeForce GTX 765M SLI
GeForce GTX 670MX SLI
GeForce GTX 580M SLI
GeForce GT 755M SLI
GeForce GT 750M SLI

The 750M/755 in SLI and the 850/675MX are kind of iffy too.

As it stands, the game is pretty unoptimized and MWO should update their recommended minimum specs.

If it makes you feel better, I have a GTX 780 at 1920x1080 on very high and I still get dips into the 20's and weird "hiccups" too, even though my framerate sometimes exceeds 120fps.

Edited by One of Little Harmony, 17 August 2014 - 07:30 PM.

#7 Colonel Tequila

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 106 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

user.cfg that is all.

spend a few hours researching and playing around with that and you'll have workable fps in no time.

i run a 5 year old radeon 4870.

w/o config 20-30 fps unstable

with 5 lines of code in a user.cfg 40 -60 fps stable

#8 CHH Badkarma

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:53 PM

guess I should be happy when I was getting over 100 fps in this game

#9 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:44 AM

all of us dunno how to work the user cfg. please post yours, and explain . thanks

#10 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:55 AM

Some general tips that might improve FPS rating on any computer coming from someone who studies IT :
  • Make sure your Drivers are up to date.
  • If you haven't opened up your computer for a year, might be time to do so. Use compressed air too clear out your fans and (unless you are experienced in doing so yourself) might be time to bring your PC to the store to replace cooling paste of your CPU, which you should actually do each year.
  • Use your system tools like Disk cleanup and make sure to run disk defragmentation each month.
  • Some updates from windows remain in their packed format which do get checked each start up, these can only be removed with Disk Cleaner after you remove their invisible tag in Explorer (where you could also remove them manually). They can be found in /Windows/Downloaded Installations/. Although I do believe Disk Cleanup now has a additional option of doing this itself.
  • Broken links in your register could slow up your PC as well. for those not familiar with their works I suggest AVG speedup, for those with experience I suggest CC cleaner, DO NOT USE CC cleaner WITHOUT EXPIERENCE.
  • Make sure your page file is at least half your RAM size and max double your RAM size for optimal performance (if you don't know how to set it, best you don't touch it either so no I will not explain how to do this).
  • Type "msconfig" at your start menu, this will open up a menu in which you can determine which programs you want windows to load on start up, you might have programs on the background which don't need to be running.
  • Make sure your computer is clean of any and all malware and spyware which often drain your PC's resources, AVG free + Spybot search and destroy is a free software combination that will remove 99.99% of all known malware and spyware.
  • It's highly recommended too reinstall you windows every 2 years or so, especially if you are not familiar with your system tools and certain register cleaning programs and other tools.
Also some advice for settings :
  • D9 might give less fancy graphics, but tends to utilize resources better then D11.
  • Shadow, Particle and Water/Fire effects are the biggest resource drain.
  • Windowed mode means rendering your desktop in the back and is a bigger resource hog.
  • Using third party macro software is also a additional resource hog.
  • Depending on what GPU you have , Anti Aliasing might be a bad idea.
And also keep in mind, anything above 34 FPS won't matter much as your eyes won't register more then that. At best a higher FPS after that sharpens up some lines.

Also keep in mind that most monitors are set at around 60 to 88 refreshes a second and thus cannot support a higher FPS.

And while some people suggest playing around with .cfg files, again unless you actually know what you are doing, I recommend against it, making a invalid loop for instance will cause a BSOD every time the file is accessed and isn't particular healthy for your PC.

And without more details, can't say much more, like someone else already said, the way you plugged in your hardware matters. Not too mention what Motherboard and what RAM manufacturer, some work together better then others. Some critical information like, SATA HD or SSD HD is missing, and if it's SATA, then the question remains which RPM etc etc. Then there's also the question if your bios is properly setup for what you have.

From my experience, it's often a lack of maintaining windows properly + fan cleaning and refreshing CPU cooling paste that starts too slow down people's PC's.

Also on a side note for the main poster : Laptops are made to be energy conservative, this means all hardware gets less power then a desktop would. Meaning laptop video cards are limited as well as the processor and even memory. If you want to play games with a good performance, buy a desktop. I'd already be thankful you can run most games on Medium, a result of modern laptops getting better, but just a few years ago laptops could barely support any modern games. Specs of a laptop might look as good as a desktop, but in general are still only 50% as effective when push comes too shove.

PS. not only is the text editor slow on the forums it's also changing some of my words by leaving out a letter

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 19 August 2014 - 04:02 AM.

#11 Kuga ZA

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 95 posts
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

It's not a hardware problem, it's an optimization problem.

I have a beast of a machine, and I can max out any game and get 120fps and it's butter smooth.

Yes people say your eyes can't see more than 30 fps, but you can see a difference between 60fps and 120fps. That being everything is butter smooth. This game just isn't.

And yes I also work in IT - it's not my rig, it's the game.

#12 Chrithu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

View PostKuga ZA, on 20 August 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

And yes I also work in IT - it's not my rig, it's the game.

Sure as hell it is the game. And observing my GPU loads during framedrops even suggests that it's got nothing to do with graphical optimization but rather with high latency and other things affecting the CPU usage, maxing it out and thus capping the framerate because whatever is done on CPU between the frames takes too ******* long.

But what really bugs me is that whenever PGI speak of incoming optimizations they always just talk about NVidia and SLI as if AMD/ATI and Crossfire wouldn't exist. And that ****'s been going on with several other "The way it's meant to be played" games lately. It makes me even more stubborn on not considering a NVidia card ever again and even makes me mad to the point that I am considering to avoid games that partner up with NVidia.

#13 alike

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

View PostColonel Tequila, on 17 August 2014 - 09:02 PM, said:

user.cfg that is all.

spend a few hours researching and playing around with that and you'll have workable fps in no time.

i run a 5 year old radeon 4870.

w/o config 20-30 fps unstable

with 5 lines of code in a user.cfg 40 -60 fps stable

What lines are you using, if I may ask?

#14 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

I would like to know the lines in your *.cfg file as well. Also I should confess, when I posted my original message I was playing a bit dumb. I am also in the IT field and have a higher knowledge level than I led on. For that I apologize, but I also did not want to to call out PGI support either. Because they have been attentive when I have communicated with them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users