#201 Talsha

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hmm rank 160 in assault.
Yeah nothing brilliant, but I expected worse,
especially after having not much time this weekend and while working on mastering some mechs :lol:
Maybe this posts also helps some other low to mid-rank players in getting a point of reference B)

I wonder how many people participated in each category.
It might have been 161 in assaults :wub:

#202 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

View PostSilentWolff, on 19 August 2014 - 08:03 AM, said:

My big complaint about this tourney is the lack of any real rewards

I really don't understand all those complains about the rewards. This is not competitive e-sport, this is some FFA promotional community event.
If I were PGI I'd give no MC reward, just an honorific medal to hang in your cockpit.

#203 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

View Postepikt, on 19 August 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

I really don't understand all those complains about the rewards. This is not competitive e-sport, this is some FFA promotional community event.
If I were PGI I'd give no MC reward, just an honorific medal to hang in your cockpit.

You have to give people motivation to play 4 straight days, or no one is going to play. Truth is, this is my first tourney and probably my last. The time investment and effort is just too great for the pittance of a reward other than the chest thumping for placing in the top 2.

#204 Unleashed3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 525 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

View PostTalsha, on 19 August 2014 - 10:22 AM, said:

Hmm rank 160 in assault.
Yeah nothing brilliant, but I expected worse,
especially after having not much time this weekend and while working on mastering some mechs :)
Maybe this posts also helps some other low to mid-rank players in getting a point of reference :D

I wonder how many people participated in each category.
It might have been 161 in assaults :D

I have rank 1668 in IS Assaults with 3 games played and 308pts.
with 206pts, I was rank 1789...

...so if there might have been 2.000 players per class and side, we talk about 16k players, but I dont think there have been so many players...

#205 Talsha

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

View PostBattlestar3k, on 19 August 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

...so if there might have been 2.000 players per class and side, we talk about 16k players, but I dont think there have been so many players...

Thanks for the heads up :)
Since one could participate in several classes I do not think we have had 16k participants either ,)
If you ranked 1668 after 3/12 games, I would wildly guess that there probably have not been more than 300 to 1200 participants in the assault category.
With the high % of assaults in the matchmaker I assume that the other categories had much less.
Still a good turn out I guess :D

#206 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:19 AM

I would be neat if they released some numbers about total participant count and how many per class, just for curiosity sake.

#207 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

View PostBattlestar3k, on 19 August 2014 - 10:40 AM, said:

Russ said in a recent NGNG podcast that 25k clan packs were sold. I didn't buy one, so that's at least 25001. :) Unless a bunch of people bought more than one package for multiple accounts.

Jody

#208 epikt

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostSilentWolff, on 19 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

You have to give people motivation to play 4 straight days, or no one is going to play. Truth is, this is my first tourney and probably my last. The time investment and effort is just too great for the pittance of a reward other than the chest thumping for placing in the top 2.

To think of the time you spend playing this game as something requiring a financial reward to give you motivation is certainly not healthy.

You also don't have to play 4 straight days. It's meant to be fun, not a chore, and definitely not a complementary job.
Personally I did not played a lot more than usual this weekend. I don't remember if I played Friday evening but I played Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. And when Sunday morning I passed my personal objective of 2200 points I stopped playing and enjoyed my Weekend. The funny part being, if I'm finally ranked it's only because on Monday, while I thought the event was over, I pulled out a massive game that made me gain 100 more points (I suppose my 10th game was bad enough).
The other funny part is that when I realized the tournament was still on I decided to continue playing in order to grab few more points. I played something like an hour and a half and I don't think I scored a single ranked game...
Morality: have fun, don't take it seriously.

#209 SilentWolff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

View Postepikt, on 19 August 2014 - 11:31 AM, said:

To think of the time you spend playing this game as something requiring a financial reward to give you motivation is certainly not healthy.

You also don't have to play 4 straight days. It's meant to be fun, not a chore, and definitely not a complementary job.
Personally I did not played a lot more than usual this weekend. I don't remember if I played Friday evening but I played Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. And when Sunday morning I passed my personal objective of 2200 points I stopped playing and enjoyed my Weekend. The funny part being, if I'm finally ranked it's only because on Monday, while I thought the event was over, I pulled out a massive game that made me gain 100 more points (I suppose my 10th game was bad enough).
The other funny part is that when I realized the tournament was still on I decided to continue playing in order to grab few more points. I played something like an hour and a half and I don't think I scored a single ranked game...
Morality: have fun, don't take it seriously.

It doesn't have to be a financial reward. It could of been a special cockpit item as you mentioned, or a special forum tag. Something to actually reward you for putting the time and effort in. But 3 bucks for 2nd place, that's just bad.
As far as not playing seriously, sorry but I play to win. I'm not going to play in a tourney and not expect to win. It's my competitive nature and I'd bet I'm in good company on these forums. I'm not gonna half ass it, which means your going to have to play most of the 4 days to rank in the top 5, that's just the way the tourney is set up.

Edited by SilentWolff, 19 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#210 Legend_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

Ah, all this talk of kill-stealing and such is a bit of a downer. Bigger rewards and all that is also something that, while I certainly wouldn't say no to, I'm not in any desperate need to get. I honestly enjoyed this leader-board challenge because it gave me something to work towards, gave me a focus to try and play my best and I'm happy with what I managed.

For the most part I played my standard play-style with a touch more thought in it, I certainly didn't sit behind the lines scanning and waiting to see which kills I could jump on, I tried to do my best to get both the team results and the personal result.

This tournament was a good learning experience for me above all else, it showed that I have the concentration to be able to play a pretty good game at times and I matched the only other leader-board event I took part in, something vs. the world about a year ago when I managed to get 3rd in mediums again (IS, of course, clans weren't here back then). I'm happy with that, the MC.. *Shrug* it's a mech-bay, that'll do me fine, then again I can only speak for myself.

#211 Podex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 657 posts
  • LocationThe soup kitchen in your Prius

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

View PostchiXu, on 19 August 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Ah, all this talk of kill-stealing and such is a bit of a downer. Bigger rewards and all that is also something that, while I certainly wouldn't say no to, I'm not in any desperate need to get. I honestly enjoyed this leader-board challenge because it gave me something to work towards, gave me a focus to try and play my best and I'm happy with what I managed.
words
stuff goes here
I'm happy with that, the MC.. *Shrug* it's a mech-bay, that'll do me fine, then again I can only speak for myself.

I totally agree. It's a game. People take it too seriously and the serious is really affecting the enjoyment for others. So what if someone zipped by and killed the guy. Great! Now we can move on to the next guy and win the match. Everyone, whether he likes it or not, is heavily reliant on their teammates. Don't want to lock your targets to avoid "kill stealing" from LRMs? Fine. While your mech is laying there smoking, ponder the idea that those LRMs could have been rattling the guys cockpit while you change position, or that missing lock kept a fast medium from flanking the guy and pegging him in the back, saving your neck.

No, they don't think that way at all -- the team is a bunch of noobs and losers.

It's childish.

Edited by Podex, 19 August 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#212 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 August 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

And you know whats funny, what I accomplished, I did in Blackjacks and Trebuchets. The only other class I tried was a couple drops in the IV-Four. Scored 163, rank 1507.
You know my play style, what would you recommend I try next time? I don't have a lot of other choices unless I buy some more mechs. I have those Atlas I've been playing and a set of Victors. Next to Mediums, I have more Heavies than anything else. QKD, TDR, and an Ilya.

The match I dropped in with Odwalla he was running a Shadowhawk with 2 AC5 and PPC, and he's a really good, really fast shot. No surprise there.

I've seen you play Atlas, and you're better at it than I am.

The real question is are you doing enough damage to get 10 210+ point games?

I saw Cyleth (who was killing me at the time) do a TBR 4 kill ~6 assist ~700-800 damage in a match (210 pts), and that would have to have been a low scoring match considering his total in Clan Heavy.

To get on the leaderboard you need to do that frequently. I may have one or two matches that good in a weekend, I will not have 10. Air/Arty?

#213 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

View PostPodex, on 19 August 2014 - 08:59 AM, said:

I thought that the matchmaker was hooking me up with very low Elo players to balance the team because I kept getting shot up by my own teammates, but a lot of people were having the same issue. I sat out of the tournament Saturday and Sunday for that very reason.

I did have some clan pilots who don't understand that whole "no minimum LRM range" thing sandblast my back pretty thoroughly on Tourmaline.

View PostDarthPeanut, on 19 August 2014 - 11:19 AM, said:

I would be neat if they released some numbers about total participant count and how many per class, just for curiosity sake.

View PostWVAnonymous, on 19 August 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

For the 7 categories that I dropped in 1 time (may have dropped twice in Clan Heavy by accident) plus my weak performance in IS Assault below,

rank points
IS Light 1449 116
Clan Light 1077 38
IS Medium 2274 74
Clan Medium 727 98
IS Heavy 1936 31
Clan Heavy 950 208 (If I did this in one match, good for me!)
IS Assault 298 1522 (really sad performance this weekend)
Clan Assault 888 101

#214 chipps101

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

I really enjoyed the tournament.

I have mastered all my IS mechs (except the free Thunderbolt) and most of my clan mechs and the tournament gave me something different to do and a goal to work for.

Edited by chipps101, 19 August 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#215 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostEnzlaved, on 19 August 2014 - 02:35 AM, said:

wasn't it you on canyon running around the edges of the map in circles with your ecm spider as the last one of your team like 6 minutes avoiding to get killed because of your K/D ratio? :P i think yes!

Actually, it was a Kit Fox, and my ECM was blow off, along with the rest of my weapons. That is no reason to stop trying to stay alive though. I am usually the last one alive on my team... and I always try to stay alive as long as I can. I love the thrill of evading certain death against insurmountable odds. The game really needs an open world drop-in drop-out style game mode on huge 100km2 maps... that is where my playstyle truly excels.

View PostBaron Blitz Fokheimer, on 19 August 2014 - 02:04 AM, said:

do you do this in a heavy, or an assault mech, on a consistent basis? Because that's where the weight adjustment comes into play. If you take out 10 guys with backstabs, at 80 damage a pop, in a smaller mech, then your results will be appropriately weighted. Something tells me you don't go around coring spines in an Atlas.

I see what you are saying. You are correct, I am a light pilot. ^^

#216 ImagineDwagons

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 81 posts
  • LocationKiev

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:41 AM

Hey everyone!
Some time ago I made suggestion topic regarding limited attempts in leaderboard events. Please, vote
http://mwomercs.com/...er-of-attempts/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users