- - - - -

First Mech.. Thinking Of Jager

74 replies to this topic

#1 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

I am debating my first Mech purchase. I am not a complete novice, as I have played MechWarrior in the past and I understand the concept.

I have played about 30 matches so far, and so far I am leaning towards something with long range capabilities, as well as decent mid range. I was thinking of the Jagermech DD with ac/10s or something of the like.

Can anyone recommend a loadout, or a more suitable mech? I've heard medium mechs aren't the greatest currently.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Medium mechs are fine, but if you're going Jagermech, get the JM6-S first. It can mount up to 4 ballistics, and really there's no practical way to mount more*, and it offers 4 energy hardpoints instead of just 2. It's otherwise the same.

* Yes, you can technically mount 5 or even 6 AC/2's, but ghost heat ruins that as an effective build. Otherwise, the only option is to cram in a bunch of machine guns, which is amusing but a waste of a Jagermech.

The S, then, still allows all the same builds you're going to want to run on a DD, but also opens more options (like running 4 ML's alongside ballistics, etc)

#3 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Do Jagers have decent speed?

If I choose the S, then I can have what I suggested? Long range with some mid range?

#4 Keira RAVEN McKenna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 878 posts
  • LocationAuckland ...but summer has gone and the tears now flow

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

Another option is a Raven 3L with 2 ERLL ECM and work on maxing it out. Its fast, ninja, has a good hit from a long way and once you get Adv Zoom and Radar Dep its REALLY fun!

Jagers aren't too fast and are easy to disarm, BUT they do have high mounted guns for blasting over ridges

Edited by Keira_NZ, 16 August 2014 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

Jagers can go up to as fast as Catapults (in the 80+ kph) range. But the faster you go the fewer the weapons you can bring and with ballistics that can be very limiting.

Jagermech S gets 4 energy hardpoints and 4 ballistic hardpoints. This means up to 4 energy weapons and up to 4 ballistic weapons (MGs, autocannons).

The JM6-DD (Jagermech) gets 6 ballistic hardpoints and 2 energy, but starts with the ultra expensive XL engine which you'll want to help you carry more tonnage (as the engine is much lighter than normal at the risk of being easier to destroy).

The JM6-A has 2 ballistic, 4 missile and 2 energy.

All of them can have their engines swapped out.

If you do a DD, try 2 AC/10s + 4 MGs + your choice of lasers if any at all.
JM6-DD stock for you to play around with.

Here's a JM6-S in action. 2 LB-10x, 2 Mgs, 4 flamers.

Edited by Koniving, 16 August 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#6 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

View PostJamjor, on 16 August 2014 - 12:40 PM, said:

I was thinking of the Jagermech DD with ac/10s or something of the like.

DO EET

#7 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

View PostJamjor, on 16 August 2014 - 01:37 PM, said:

Do Jagers have decent speed?

If I choose the S, then I can have what I suggested? Long range with some mid range?

All 3 cbill Jags have the same engine range (up to a 315 rated engine, for 78.5/86.4(speed tweak) kph. How fast depends on what engine you mount, of course.

I'm partial to 255 rated engines to keep lots of tonnage free for weaponry, but 280's are always good choices too. You can go faster, with a 300 or 315, but IMHO the Jager needs the tonnage more than the extra speed.

And yeah, the Jag is primarily a fire support platform, it's quite good at loading up ballistics, and you've got options for every range band. I'm quite partial to 2xAC2+2xAC5+ML's myself.

There is, of course, the option to mount 2 Gauss or 2 AC20, both of which are definitely dangerous builds but arguably more difficult for a newer player.

When starting, I'd recommend sticking with a standard engine. You'll have less tonnage available for loadouts, but you'll get time to learn to twist to spread damage effectively and last longer, before you go to XL builds and more weaponry.

A good, simple to use starter build effective at entry level play would be something like: JM6-S

It's got Ferro Fibrous armor as well as Endo Steel. When you move to XL engines, or most other loadouts, you'll probably want to remove it - FF is less effective at freeing space than Endo Steel, but it allows you to mount a larger engine in this case. A STD 280 engine will get you 76.8KPH once you've got your Speed Tweak, and allow you to keep fighting under fire.

There's lots of LRM's in newplayerland, so AMS is mandatory. You may even want to reduce the engine a bit and add a second ton of AMS ammo, if necessary.

AC5's are a little easier to use than AC10's, as their bullets fly substantially faster. Also, quite a bit longer range.

Got money, want to keep the build playing the same but step up the offensive power? An upgraded version after you get some C-Bills and time: JM6-S Similar, but going to UAC5's (they can fire twice per cooldown, if you like, but at the risk of jamming), with better heat management. Faster, too!

#8 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

Jagers are awesome, the only reason I am avoiding playing mine currently is the heavy class is absolutely flooded relative the other weights right now.

I consider the AC-10 more a close range weapon nowdays. Dual or triple AC-5 is where it is at.

The S is best one, but the DD has a very usable XL for dual gauss builds if that is your thing.

Run Wintersdark's build, I use nearly the same build(275 STD) and is a killing machine.

Edited by Spheroid, 16 August 2014 - 02:29 PM.

#9 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

I think there is a bit of merit to choosing a Jager DD before a Jager S, but only because the DD comes with an XL engine which can then be swapped out and put in the S. That way you don't need to buy an XL engine to put some big weapons in the S.

If you've already got a collection of XL engines in the 225 to 300 range then I'd agree that the S is a bit better mech, but if you don't then choosing the DD first will allow you to use its 260XL in the S when you buy it and skill that mech up, saving you quite a few credits.

#10 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

View PostRuccus, on 16 August 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

I think there is a bit of merit to choosing a Jager DD before a Jager S, but only because the DD comes with an XL engine which can then be swapped out and put in the S. That way you don't need to buy an XL engine to put some big weapons in the S.

If you've already got a collection of XL engines in the 225 to 300 range then I'd agree that the S is a bit better mech, but if you don't then choosing the DD first will allow you to use its 260XL in the S when you buy it and skill that mech up, saving you quite a few credits.

You buy the S first, because it's the best chassis, it's much cheaper, and you shouldn't start with an XL. Then you buy the DD later for the great 260XL and try your dual gauss/dual AC20 build there.

#11 BigFatGator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

Get the JM6-S. It's solid. 3xAC5 or 2xAC10 with 3 ML and endo+ff will give you a room for ammo and AMS should you care for it.
2LBX10, 2MG, 4ML is a fun build as well.

Jagers rock. Just buy one and stick with it. You won't be dissapointed.

#12 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 16 August 2014 - 02:42 PM, said:

You buy the S first, because it's the best chassis, it's much cheaper, and you shouldn't start with an XL. Then you buy the DD later for the great 260XL and try your dual gauss/dual AC20 build there.

If the OP isn't close to 15 million credits he won't have enough to buy an S, upgrade to double heatsinks and endo, then buy a DD when he needs an XL engine. I don't know how many credits the OP has, but as I understand it the cadet bonus only gets you around 10 million or so.

One thing that just dawned on me though - we should still have Houses Davion and Liao sales to go; I suspect all or most of the Jagermechs will be on sale during a Davion sale. That might be something to think about to save credits on purchasing three Jagermechs to skill them up.

#13 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

I have about 10.5 million credits. I am leaning towards the Jager S with the AC/5's and Medium lasers to try out... thanks everyone! You've all been very helpful.

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to post them.

Does that mean the Jager S with that build will be around 15 million?

#14 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostJamjor, on 16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

I have about 10.5 million credits. I am leaning towards the Jager S with the AC/5's and Medium lasers to try out... thanks everyone! You've all been very helpful.

I'd go with something like this. It's just under 8MM c-bills since it uses a lot of the parts that come with the chassis. It's a bit ammo light, but that's the cost of the STD engine. There is the "hidden cost" that you'll want to rip the Ferro-Fibrous out at some point when you add in an XL engine and bigger&better guns, but for a starting Jagermech, it's solid, relatively survivable and cheap.

EDIT: I'd like to add that if you love the S, there's a case to be made for never buying the DD. The A is more different and the Firebrand carries dual gauss/dual 20 very well. So if you decide you love JM6s and want to splash real life $ on the Firebrand, that's something to consider. The FB also comes with the XL280, which is an excellent and versatile engine. I personally hate the XL260 that comes with the DD and drives up the price, because it's the same weight as the XL265. I actually sold the one from my JM6-DD. (Full disclosure, I have them all, including two Firebrands)

Edited by Terciel1976, 16 August 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#15 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

There's a really good chance the Jagers will be on sale over one of the next two weekends. The Jagermech has HUGE side torso hitboxes, and is on par with the stalker as worst mech to put an XL engine in. However, to run a 2x AC20 or 2x gauss build, the XL is almost required (the other choice is low armor or a tiny STD engine).

Remember to add 1.5m for double heatsinks, 650k for endo steel and the cost of engines/weapons that you need to buy to the cost of your mech.

#16 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

View PostJohn1352, on 16 August 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

There's a really good chance the Jagers will be on sale over one of the next two weekends. The Jagermech has HUGE side torso hitboxes, and is on par with the stalker as worst mech to put an XL engine in. However, to run a 2x AC20 or 2x gauss build, the XL is almost required (the other choice is low armor or a tiny STD engine).

Remember to add 1.5m for double heatsinks, 650k for endo steel and the cost of engines/weapons that you need to buy to the cost of your mech.

Eh, while the Jag DOES have huge side torso hitboxes, an XL is really required to get the most out of the chassis. There's a lot of reasons to use a standard engine, but when you get at least capable of spreading damage, unless you're planning on brawling up close a fire support Jag needs an XL to really produce.

That's in the future, though, not when you're new to the game. When you're newer, and haven't yet skilled your mechs up, STD all the way.

Edited by Wintersdark, 16 August 2014 - 05:23 PM.

#17 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

View PostRuccus, on 16 August 2014 - 04:04 PM, said:

If the OP isn't close to 15 million credits he won't have enough to buy an S, upgrade to double heatsinks and endo, then buy a DD when he needs an XL engine. I don't know how many credits the OP has, but as I understand it the cadet bonus only gets you around 10 million or so.

One thing that just dawned on me though - we should still have Houses Davion and Liao sales to go; I suspect all or most of the Jagermechs will be on sale during a Davion sale. That might be something to think about to save credits on purchasing three Jagermechs to skill them up.

He doesn't need to be anywhere near enough to buy the DD, just the basic S.

You buy the S, get it kitted up, then while grinding on the S for your skills, you earn the money to buy more.

As Terciel notes above, I'd recommend getting the A and Firebrand as well, if you're willing to buy a Hero - the DD is a waste of time, really.

In that case, get the S first to learn Jags. Then the Firebrand, so you can utilize it's CBill bonus, with the A as the third later, allowing you your 3 mechs to elite/master and a wide range of builds. The Firebrand is an exceptional hero, too, very worth having.

From a long term perspective, the DD is effectively worthless, as it doesn't really bring anything worthwhile and unique to the table - the S does everything it does.

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 16 August 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

EDIT: I'd like to add that if you love the S, there's a case to be made for never buying the DD.from my JM6-DD.

View PostWintersdark, on 16 August 2014 - 05:26 PM, said:

From a long term perspective, the DD is effectively worthless, as it doesn't really bring anything worthwhile and unique to the table - the S does everything it does.

I actually saw little reason to get the -S actually, but then...
I bought the -DD for the one thing it can do that almost no other chassis in the game CAN.

2xLBAC
4xMG
2xML
;)

(alternatively 6xMG with bigger lasers)

A lot of people laugh at that build - but I have (personally) found it to be far more effective than 2xAC20.

#19 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

View PostJamjor, on 16 August 2014 - 04:40 PM, said:

No, a Jager S plus Endo-Steel and Double Heatsinks will run around 7.4 million credits. That would provide you with a solid mech that can do some real damage. It means however that you'll only have around 3 million credits left so you wouldn't be able to afford the DD until you've earned another 5.5 million credits.

I like running an XL engine in many of my Jager builds because they are effective glass cannons (able to survive by out-damaging an opponent rather than soaking up more damage), so I think I'm just putting more emphasis on getting an XL engine to equip heavier weaponry. Winterdark appears to favour the standard engine for survivability, and that's a completely valid argument, so that favours going with the S over the DD.

#20 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

Something to remember, the DD comes with std structure, and ferro fibrous armor. So you get to spend on endo, AND spend on removing ferro so you have slots left. Pluys the DD costs a crap ton.

6x MG is fun though, however it is very limited in range, pair of ERPPC in the torso can remedy that. However, I ran my DD with 4x MG, 2x UAC5, and ml or mpl in the torso, dont recall. it was brutal up close. it also cost a fortune, as I swapped up to an even bigger XL to fit all of it and get the speed I needed for MG use.

I would buy the S, and stick triple AC5 on it with a pair of ML. AC5 is good at range, and up close, and should be doable with a STD in it.

if you are looking for a 2nd jager down the road, pick the A up. Slap 2x SRM4, 2x SRM6, and a pair of AC2 or AC5 on it(prolly need to cut some SRM to fit 5's, or go XL engine) use the AC's down range, Facesplatz those that get in range. It will play differently then the S, which is good for boredom reasons. I also recomend Firebrand for real money if you do that, as it gives you high mount laser points on arms for Rifleman loadouts etc. DD is the last c-bill version, but it will cost you ooga booga C-bills to kit after the hefty price tag to buy compared to the S or A.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users