24 replies to this topic

#1 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

This video provides a look and the missile systems available to Inner Sphere BattleMechs in Mechwarrior Online. Please let me know if there is a tutorial you'd like to see. Enjoy!

#2 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Great job Spike Brave. I always thought that you had to be outside 200m (vice 180m) for LRM to hit its target.

I saw you in "Training" yesterday and was wondering why you needed it. Now I know what you were doing :)

Happy Hunting

#3 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

wonderful work Spike, as always.

Let me know if you ever need a partner for he more dynamic stuff.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 17 August 2014 - 08:12 PM.

#4 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

View PostAyrmoon, on 17 August 2014 - 06:52 PM, said:

Great job Spike Brave. I always thought that you had to be outside 200m (vice 180m) for LRM to hit its target.

Depends on the target and the current missile velocity. IS LRMs don't arm unless they've traveled at least 180m, so if a target is moving towards you, you have to factor that in if you want to avoid wasting shots, but 180M is the actual minimum range on them.
Currently all LRMs move at 160m/s, and mechs typically run between 13m/s ( 48kph ) and 47m/s ( 170kph )
It will take a little more than a second for the LRMs to reach minimum range ( 1.125 seconds ) , one second is close enough as it makes the math a lot easier.
Simply guess or calculate the top speed of the target in m/s, and add that to 180m, and you'll have a good approximation of when your missiles will no longer hit.

An easy way to convert the numbers if a top speed in kph is known is to divide by 3, it's not completely accurate but it's easier than dividing by 3.6 and it compensates ( actually overcompensates slightly ) for the inaccuracy in the flight time if you do not multiply by 1.125. ( It ends up 6.67% higher than the more accurate calculation, not a huge difference. )

In short:
accurate: 180 + ( top speed / 3.6 ) * 1.125
simple: 180 + top speed / 3

Depending on which way the target is moving relative to you this adds or subtracts about 15-20m for most assaults, and a little over 50m for 170kph lights.

#5 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 17 August 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

wonderful work Spike, as always.

Let me know if you ever need a partner for he more dynamic stuff.

Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

#6 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:40 PM

Tell me how, I'd be happy to help you too :)

#7 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

When I take my Missile Jager out I don't do so well, one question is when people ask to lock targets "R" what does that do

Also what about shooting over obstacles I usually tilt up or even tilt left or right
What happens if you lose lock and reaquire missile lock while the missiles are in flight

The biggest pain is standing there while people are shooting at you waiting for the missiles to arm what a crappy system (1970’s tech)

Edited by Davegt27, 22 August 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#8 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 19 August 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

When I take my Missile Jager out I don't do so well, one question is when people ask to lock targets "R" what does that do

Also what about shooting over obstacles I usually tilt up or even tilt left or right
What happens if you lose lock and require while the missiles are in flight

The biggest pain is standing there while people are shooting at you waiting for the missiles to arm what a crappy system (1970’s tech)

When someone locks onto a mech, they share that targeting data with their entire team. Allowing an LRM boat to start lobbing missiles at targets they can't even see. Helps LRM boats provide indirect fire support.

It also tells your entire team the state of that mech you are targeting. How it's armor is, what kind of mech it is, and what it's weapons and health status is.

EDIT: To be specific, if you shoot at a mech you don't have a lock to, the game will lock onto to it eventually. If you press R, you instantly lock onto it.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 19 August 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:52 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

When someone locks onto a mech, they share that targeting data with their entire team. Allowing an LRM boat to start lobbing missiles at targets they can't even see. Helps LRM boats provide indirect fire support.

It also tells your entire team the state of that mech you are targeting. How it's armor is, what kind of mech it is, and what it's weapons and health status is.

EDIT: To be specific, if you shoot at a mech you don't have a lock to, the game will lock onto to it eventually. If you press R, you instantly lock onto it.

Just know that if you launch LRMs without a lock, and later acquire one, the missiles will NOT lock on and track that target. That said, if your target isn't moving (shut down for example) then you can "dumb fire" and hit.

#10 Ayrmoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

Davegt27 said - "Also what about shooting over obstacles I usually tilt up or even tilt left or right."

Don't aim over things (if that is what you meant when you said this) when firing your missiles, just lock on to your target (cross hair or circle) and fire. The missile will automatically go over any obstacle (a hill for example) as long as you have enough space between you and the obstacle.

And above all else - just have fun <_<

Happy Hunting to you

#11 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

View PostAyrmoon, on 20 August 2014 - 04:15 AM, said:

Davegt27 said - "Also what about shooting over obstacles I usually tilt up or even tilt left or right."

Don't aim over things (if that is what you meant when you said this) when firing your missiles, just lock on to your target (cross hair or circle) and fire. The missile will automatically go over any obstacle (a hill for example) as long as you have enough space between you and the obstacle.

And above all else - just have fun :)

Happy Hunting to you

Another thing you can do is point your mech up, hold down the left CTRL button, and point your arms down, since LRM locks are made by the arm cross hairs. You will get the lock, as long as you can see the target box, and get the arms there.

#12 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:43 PM

Also, if you haven't seen my upgrades tutorial, if you are using artemis you must have line of sight to your target. If you can't see your target the bonus for that system won't apply.

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

this was another question I was wondering about
so with the ARTEMIS system you need to have visual/line of sight to the target

what about the other Fire Control (they call it weapons control in the AF) system
does that one need of sight also?

if it does not I think the non line of site system would be better
of course like some of the other upgrades you would have to buy it all over again

Davegt27

Edited by Davegt27, 22 August 2014 - 04:08 PM.

#14 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:40 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 22 August 2014 - 04:07 PM, said:

this was another question I was wondering about
so with the ARTEMIS system you need to have visual/line of sight to the target

what about the other Fire Control (they call it weapons control in the AF) system
does that one need of sight also?

if it does not I think the non line of site system would be better
of course like some of the other upgrades you would have to buy it all over again

Davegt27

There is only the Artemis FCS. The other one is standard, and that one offers no bonuses at all.

As far as Fire Control Systems go. If you are talking about NARC or TAG. For those, you do not need line of sight at all. Unless you are doing the TAGing yourself.

#15 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

does the standard system need line of site to work?

#16 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 23 August 2014 - 06:32 PM, said:

does the standard system need line of site to work?

No, it's the default system your mech starts with. The difference between it and Artemis is that for the cost of one extra ton, and one extra slot PER launcher (that's for SRMs and LRMs only), you get 50% increased lock speed when acquiring homing locks for your LRMs, and reduced spread for both LRMs and SRMs. However, the bonus only works when you have line of sight, without it, Artemis functions like standard guidance (in all honesty, the Line of Sight thing should have never been added, but people kept on moaning about LRMs being OP -more accurately, they lacked the brain cells to use cover-, and so Artemis was nerfed for it)

#17 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:19 PM

This is a good basic video of how the Missile systems work. Perfect for a beginner.

Now if you give the advanced course, it could be a few hours or an entire series of how to ...redacted due to LRM rage.

#18 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 23 August 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

This is a good basic video of how the Missile systems work. Perfect for a beginner.

Now if you give the advanced course, it could be a few hours or an entire series of how to ...redacted due to LRM rage.

Advanced tip. You can dead fire lrms without a lock. They'll hit where you aim. SHHHHHHHHHH!

#19 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

View PostSpike Brave, on 23 August 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Advanced tip. You can dead fire lrms without a lock. They'll hit where you aimed when pulled the trigger. SHHHHHHHHHH!

FTFY :ph34r:

Edited by IraqiWalker, 24 August 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#20 Walleye

Rookie

• Overlord
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostSpike Brave, on 23 August 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

Advanced tip. You can dead fire lrms without a lock. They'll hit where you aim. SHHHHHHHHHH!

I am assuming the dead fire LRM's still need the 180m to arm their warheads, correct? Or are the dead fire ones already armed as soon as they leave the tubes?

Edited by Walleye, 25 August 2014 - 01:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users