When Are You Going To Fix The Gauss So You Can Tell You're Being Hit By It?

Bug Report

16 replies to this topic

#1 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

Gauss rifles... they deal so much damage and yet you don't seem to get any hitmarkers from being hit by it. Nor is there generally even a noticable sound effect. Despite it being one of the deadliest weapons in the game. This needs to be fixed.

#2 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

uhh the big dull thud of the round impacting your mech does not notify you?

#3 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

it's probably drowned out by the other big dull thuds of pilots slamming their heads into the cockpit glass from dual gauss rage

#4 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

By the big dull thud you mean the most unnoticable of ALL weapon hit sounds? The one that's even less noticable than being hit by a small laser? Oh right, that one... and I forgot how that tells me where the shot was coming from...

Edited by POWR, 18 August 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#5 Bartholomew bartholomew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,250 posts
  • LocationInner sphere drop point

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM

I just wish they would make the charging sound louder, you can't hear it charge in a furball.

Funnily enough, I know when i get hit with one. Unique sound, even in a furball.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

I just wish they would make the charging sound louder, you can't hear it charge in a furball.

Funnily enough, I know when i get hit with one. Unique sound, even in a furball.

I started putting the Gauss on unused tics/weapon groups so it is more noticeable around the cross hairs. Before that I rarely used Gauss after the introduction of the charge timer. Though I really believe they should change it to a double tap, similar to double set trigger instead of a tap then release. One tap to start the charging process then a second tap to fire during the charged range.

#7 Damien Tokala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 788 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:31 AM

there is another indication. the missing chunk of armor from your mech. armor layout can be used to tell you where that dull thud came from

#8 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

Additionally a hit generates a red "stripe/blip/wubever" below the HUD, showing direction from where the hit came .
And yeah, that "PAAOOWWW" when a gauss hits oneself ... pretty solitary sound which stands out well, at least for me .
Oh, I´m listening straight stereo, no fancy 5.1 HS or DSP sound tweaking .

#9 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:07 AM

op need some head phones or a hearing aid

#10 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

Sorry man. Gauss is the third easiest weapon to tell you've been hit by. The only two which are more obvious are ac20 and artillery.

#11 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostMaccasimus, on 19 August 2014 - 04:10 AM, said:

Sorry man. Gauss is the third easiest weapon to tell you've been hit by. The only two which are more obvious are ac20 and artillery.

Not LRMs? Sounds like Paul Inouye went into a completely open warehouse and started smacking machinery with a 4 foot wrench.

#12 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Maybe you'd prefer chris tucker yelling at you saying "We're being shot at?"

#13 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:17 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 August 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

I started putting the Gauss on unused tics/weapon groups so it is more noticeable around the cross hairs. Before that I rarely used Gauss after the introduction of the charge timer. Though I really believe they should change it to a double tap, similar to double set trigger instead of a tap then release. One tap to start the charging process then a second tap to fire during the charged range.

Like Tarl stated the 6 boxes around your Target reticule have to do with the readiness of your weapon groups. Put Gauss to one of them and then wait for the visible indicator.....shoot when ready.

Also its the same amount of time every time....just count it out by seconds. Like One One Thousand, Two One Thousand, FIRE! Once you get the rhythm your don't need the indicators.

#14 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

View PostNaduk, on 19 August 2014 - 02:07 AM, said:

op need some head phones or a hearing aid

No, I don't. And like I said, it's not that there's a sound missing, it's that there's a missing direction indicator when you're under fire by gauss rounds.

Maybe they need to implement scope glint effects or similar.

#15 Clit Beastwood

• 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostBartholomew bartholomew, on 18 August 2014 - 02:26 PM, said:

Add the gauss to every weapon group (or at least many of them) - then you get a whole christmas tree of lights around your crosshair lighting up.

View PostPOWR, on 18 August 2014 - 01:57 PM, said:

By the big dull thud you mean the most unnoticable of ALL weapon hit sounds? The one that's even less noticable than being hit by a small laser? Oh right, that one... and I forgot how that tells me where the shot was coming from...

Are you using surround sound or something? I noticed that in Stereo the gauss rings loud and clear, but if I switch to my 7.1 headphones I can no longer hear gauss impacts.

Good/working config for guass
Onboard realtek audio -> optical cable -> yamaha receiver -> Sony MDR-v6 or Koss Pro4aa headphones.

Config that doesn't let me hear gauss
Logitech G930 headset in 7.1 mode - a little thud, but no clear hit indicator.
IF I flip the switch to turn on stereo instead of 7.1 I can hear the gauss sound a little better, but its best through "better" headphones.

#16 panicbutton

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

View PostPOWR, on 19 August 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Maybe they need to implement scope glint effects or similar.

For serious? You realize that the weapon doesn't actually have any aiming assists on it. Everything is done electronically and sent to the pilot via neurolink. After you've done a few thousand drops you can tell pretty easily what you're being hit with. The only mystery is "What type of laser just washed across my back" which is quickly solved with visual queues. You need practice listening unless a sound file isn't playing for you. Have a friend plug you with a gauss rifle a few times in a lobby and note whether or not you can hear anything. Either memorize the sound or post an update on this forum. Otherwise, you just need practice. If you're looking for a visual queue, the gauss rifle throws out a ton of sparks whenever an enemy shoots it, and it causes a shower of sparks to explode from whatever target it hits.

#17 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

yeah right.....

why not have betty to tell you from where you get hit? wich direction, how far away with the exact coordinates.... beside thats whats already here:

sound (very unique, turn your sound louder if you dont hear it)
hud info: red flushing
mech dmg model

baaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users