Update On Server Lag Issues

173 replies to this topic

#41 fudog

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:05 PM

View PostKilo 40, on 18 August 2014 - 09:20 PM, said:

if you were trying to look really silly....achievement unlocked.

Goal was actually to make the netcode look silly while leveraging a bit of humorous hyperbole.
...but that might be lost on non-programmers and/or fussbudgets. :lol:

I typically run sub-40ms ping and have 30sec+ desyncs since the last patch.

This stuff should be play tested extensively in a Staging environment before it lands on Production servers.

Internal play testing can't bring this sort of stuff to bear.

If they really gather all the "telemetry" they've mentioned in the past, they could spin up some VMs and run play tests en masse with old matches to vet their code.
...but that doesn't seem to be happening.

There are solutions.
They don't seem to be applied.

Again, this is an open invitation for DEVs to openly discuss this stuff.

Edited by fudog, 18 August 2014 - 10:13 PM.

#42 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

View Postfudog, on 18 August 2014 - 10:05 PM, said:

Goal was actually to make the netcode look silly while leveraging a bit of humorous hyperbole.
...but that might be lost on non-programmers and/or fussbudgets. :lol:

better luck next time.

#43 Voidcrafter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 718 posts
  • LocationBulgaria

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:22 PM

View PostHenri Schoots, on 18 August 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

please do watch until the end

DAT GUY and DAT VIDEO!
As for the rest - I am kinda dissapointed from you it took you about two weeks to post a statement. Most of us don't have crystal balls of sight-seeing into the future to be certain you're actually aware of the problem and it's not something connected with a handful of providers and network trace issues, that are hard to track and not your fault at all.
2 weeks is not a professional approach PGI.

#44 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

I hope the optimizations don't come at the expense of other features; but there's been a pretty bad track record in this regard, i.e. removing Inverse Kinematics (mech feet align to terrain instead of clipping through/floating above it) for performance reasons. It's nice to pick up a little performance, but I hate that every time things get "optimized" in this game it looks a little worse and runs a little weirder.

Wish we knew what was being changed this time around.

#45 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:30 AM

Thanks in advance for whatever comes down the pipe to ease the networking troubles, it is appreciated .

Please try and give us a another "Buckton"-calibre of relief !!!!!!!!

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 19 August 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#46 Kageru Ikazuchi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

I hope this does great things ... while I rarely have in-game de-synch issues, I have been having some serious trouble staying connected after a match. Oddly enough, during NA peak hours (morning-midday my time), it's actually not as bad as evening my time.

If this doesn't fix my issues, I'll just keep spamming support with my woes (and omicron, dxdiag, and crashdump files).

#47 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:16 AM

View PostJman5, on 18 August 2014 - 05:38 PM, said:

All I know is that rejoining has worked for me every time for me.
Initially i waited, sometimes mins, only to find myself dead, but since logging off and rejoining the game im only occassionally dead and other times the game resumes normally (though that doesnt mean it wont freeze again later).

#48 EyesBurn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTamo daleko ...

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:41 AM

View PostVertex99, on 18 August 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Like mini server de-syncs (like a server de-sync, but only lasts for a second or two. Very annoying in high quantity)? Ever since reconnect was added, I've been having that problem much more frequently too. You could be turning when it happens then your direction just shifts. Sent me strait into the lava on Terra Therma once.

Yes,whenever i want to turn around towards my team it starts lagging,and mech ends up somewhere else,i hope they will fix it now...but knowing how PGI fixes things,maybe its better they just leave it and we pretend its a feature ... yeah,better that ...

#49 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:24 AM

View PostEyesBurn, on 19 August 2014 - 02:41 AM, said:

...but knowing how PGI fixes things,maybe its better they just leave it and we pretend its a feature ... yeah,better that ...

Thanks for making me laugh today.... some reason this comment had me laughing out loud.

#50 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 18 August 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

It's not a server capacity problem. It's due to the new reconnect feature and significantly more weapons fire checks since Clans can spam so many weapons at once (burst fire acs, machine guns, more laser tics). Those are the only things that have changed recently.

Or maybe more people playing due to the clan pack release and other ongoing events?

It sounds like a network traffic issue, not a data check issue.

#51 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the update!

Good to know!

#52 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

I think the issue is greater than high-ping users. My ping's pretty low (50-80) and I still get bounced about every three to five games. I can usually CTRL-ALT-DEL back in (or rejoin, but since I usually pilot lights, it's just to watch myself explode by the time I reconnect), but still...

I'm in Seattle and running on a cable modem - it's not a fiberoptic line, but I'm not exactly using dial-up either...

#53 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

View PostBront, on 19 August 2014 - 07:55 AM, said:

Or maybe more people playing due to the clan pack release and other ongoing events?

It sounds like a network traffic issue, not a data check issue.

There may be more players, but I don't think that's the issue. It was fine after clan release but before the rejoin feature was added. My guess is the code isn't working perfectly and they are troubleshooting it. Similiar to how the new matchmaker worked fine in tests until they put it into production and it crashed and burned with how it worked on that scale.

#54 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

As a player with an average ping of ~700(not my fault, I live in Barrow, Alaska), I'm very tolerant of problems like this in general. I hadn't even noticed this issue during my play time last night, except for one match. Since it can occasionally be caused by my own connection, I hadn't thought anything of it.

Just want to testify to this game's Host State Rewind. I can't even play most online games. Not only can I play MWO, but the HSR is good enough that I can enjoy it. I'm even able to occasionally get match high scores. Also, just to explain, for anyone who isn't aware; Host State Rewind is what allows people like the guy piloting the dual Gauss Jagermech I made a close pass on last night to hit me despite my high speed and high latency. It does not, however, allow me to hit people the same way, usually. Most of the time, I can't even hit a light passing me at high speed with an AC/2.

Thanks for providing excellent service, and thanks for letting us know what's happening. :lol: Keep up the good work. B)

#55 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

View PostKarl Berg, on 18 August 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

OP stuff

thanks for the update Karl.

Seems that this batch starting when rejoin was added, got better after the Hotfix a week or 2 back, but then went straight in the crapper following the double hotfixes on that Friday.

I'm sure high traffic exacerbates the issue, but just pointing out a pretty "hard" start date and wondering what was done in those hotfixes that might have affected the issue?

#56 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 August 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

thanks for the update Karl.

Seems that this batch starting when rejoin was added, got better after the Hotfix a week or 2 back, but then went straight in the crapper following the double hotfixes on that Friday.

I'm sure high traffic exacerbates the issue, but just pointing out a pretty "hard" start date and wondering what was done in those hotfixes that might have affected the issue?

This. All of this.

Once that "Rejoin" button joined the show, things started getting unstable.

#57 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 18 August 2014 - 02:59 PM, said:

Is Paul currently waxing the modems trying to make them go faster?

Fail.

Everyone knows you rub cheetah blood on them.

#58 TheDruid

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

View PostJman5, on 18 August 2014 - 03:13 PM, said:

If you find yourself stuck in a lag bubble like this, make sure quit the match ASAP and then click rejoin.

Ha! I have never made it back into a match without blowing up, lagging out again, or continuing to be STUCK in some weird spot on a map. At least the "rejoin" process is quick so when you try it you don't have to wait an hour to find out you're dead, still lagging or still stuck.

#59 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

One time i was already Out of Bounds at the Forrest Colony Map and it was 1 Second left of the Countdown when i made it back...

#60 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

View PostLordLosh, on 18 August 2014 - 04:25 PM, said:

same issues same problems same solutions. PGI please look at this quote and try and break it down and relate it to how you are handling things.
"If you keep doing what you have always done, you will continue to get what you have always gotten"
Buy, upgrade, rent, lease, steal another [redacted] server!

Um, what good does it do to buy/steal/rent another piece of hardware and dump the same broken code on it?
Should they not fix the code first?
Reading Comprehension for the Win!

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 19 August 2014 - 03:32 PM.
Language in quote

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users