#1 Kyle Polulak

<member/>

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 584 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

You may have noticed in this most recent patch that a heat penalty from weapon modules appears removed from the descriptions of those modules.
The removal of this text was caused by database error as a result of work being done towards the August 26th patch.

We’ve discussed the concern and Alex has asked me to share what is to come for the modules:
For those curious, first, we intend to introduce additional levels to the Weapon Range modules, giving each a total of 5 ranks. This shall be introduced for the August 26th patch.

In the meantime though, all you need to know is that heat penalties will continue to occur with weapon range modules until August 26th, when they will be removed. For now, you can still see the effect of these penalties reflected in the Heat Management bar of your Mechlab.

Second, we are beginning to look into a new series of modules which will affect the cooldown on weapons. These modules are currently estimated to arrive in-game for early to mid-September and will be the next in a variety of other modules systems we are currently investigating.

We apologize for any confusion on this matter and thank you for raising your concerns on this matter to us. See you on the Battlefield!

#2 Pyrrho

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for clarifying.

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

Thanks!

Cooldown is interesting, as it tends to be sort of self balancing in that firing more frequently builds heat faster. Thus, while its a buff obviously (more bursty) it doesn't impact DPS for 99% of builds.

#4 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the clarification.

#5 LordLosh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:34 PM

so you cant say what your testing at all? sounds like your testing weapon mods with no heat.
All you need to know is majority of player base is still not happy. how is that!

#6 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

View PostNikolai Lubkiewicz, on 19 August 2014 - 05:07 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors,

You may have noticed in this most recent patch that a heat penalty from weapon modules appears removed from the descriptions of those modules.
The removal of this text was caused by database error as a result of work being done towards the August 26th patch.

We’ve discussed the concern and Alex has asked me to share what is to come for the modules:
For those curious, first, we intend to introduce additional levels to the Weapon Range modules, giving each a total of 5 ranks. This shall be introduced for the August 26th patch.

In the meantime though, all you need to know is that heat penalties will continue to occur with weapon range modules until August 26th, when they will be removed. For now, you can still see the effect of these penalties reflected in the Heat Management bar of your Mechlab.

Second, we are beginning to look into a new series of modules which will affect the cooldown on weapons. These modules are currently estimated to arrive in-game for early to mid-September and will be the next in a variety of other modules systems we are currently investigating.

We apologize for any confusion on this matter and thank you for raising your concerns on this matter to us. See you on the Battlefield!

I had a feeling. Thanks for the confirmation, Niko. :P

#7 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostLordLosh, on 19 August 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

so you cant say what your testing at all? sounds like your testing weapon mods with no heat.
All you need to know is majority of player base is still not happy. how is that!

He did say what they were testing: Cooldown reduction modules.

#8 Carrie Harder

Clone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • LocationCarrying pugs up Mount Tryhard

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

Removed heat penalty and trying out cooldown mods is a good step.

As some extra inspiration, how about weapon-specific unique mods? For example, UAC jam rate reduction, MG/LBX CoF reduction or crit damage increase, missile lock-on speed, etc.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:16 PM

Was really hoping this was gonna be "we've decided to lock the rising thresholds, and will be rethinking the module systems from the ground up."

:P

#10 Mad Pig

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 487 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Looking forward to the 5th tier ranks on the modules. Good stuff.

#11 Sandslice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Was really hoping this was gonna be &quot;we've decided to lock the rising thresholds, and will be rethinking the module systems from the ground up.&quot;

:(

We'll keep fighting that battle. In the meantime, let's at least take the small victories we can get. :P

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 August 2014 - 06:16 PM, said:

Was really hoping this was gonna be &quot;we've decided to lock the rising thresholds, and will be rethinking the module systems from the ground up.&quot;

:(

You know, I think you're the single most optimistic person I've ever known :P

I'm sure one day, just to troll you, they'll implement fixed heat thresholds and increased dissipation... The day they shut the servers down.

(But that one day will be glorious!)

#13 Leidulfr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

So, if the heat penalty is going to be removed, and, essentially, if you want to be "balanced" on par with everyone else, this system will require even more time to get more C-Bills to buy the minuscule weapon upgrade?

Genius! Spending 40 hours to get a single mech to the same fairness level of another player's is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't want the variety of other mechs to break up playing the same four maps over and over anyways. Why do that when I can spend all my GXP and C-Bills on 8 extra meters of touch for my small laser? If the enemy Locust has a 208 meter reach, I can't stop until my Locust can do the same. There's definitely nothing better that could be worked on or implemented.

Edited by Nocturnal Link, 19 August 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#14 Shredhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,939 posts
  • LocationLeipzig, Germany

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

I hope you really don't intend to give them no drawbacks at all, do you? Because that would, once again, screw with the new player experience.
You should have never introduced these modules at all. They are either too bad to throw away GXP on them or so good they screw over new players who can't afford them.
And you missed a great opportunity to distinguish clans from IS here, just saying.

#15 Leidulfr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostShredhead, on 19 August 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

You should have never introduced these modules at all. They are either too bad to throw away GXP on them or so good they screw over new players who can't afford them.

Please, sir. There's absolutely no way they wouldn't have thought of that.

#16 Past

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Will we get a rock solid guarantee that once the negative effects heat or otherwise are gone they will not come back?
People will now drop hundreds of millions of cbills outfitting their mech weapon modules. Potentially then there could be a huge outcry of the more casual players who simply don't spend enough time playing to afford the modules crying foul about unfair and there needs to be a downside to them. I'm kinda concerned this could happen and then lead to some penalty being added back in meaning a massive amount of time to purchase them all could go to waste.

#17 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

Greetings MechWarriors,

Just so we and the Developers are Clear

There isn't a single person I know who actually "LIKES" the weapon modules idea.

it is almost universally considered a failed system and continuing to push it is a waste of your resources, time and our patience. (Yes even with the removed heat)

As has been mentioned a million times before, better off doing seperate "named" weapons that completely change how the weapon functions with out dramatically messing with the DPS of the weapon.

IE, changing range, heat, how it deals damage, and damage itself. (more dps = less FLD, more FLD = less dps, ect ect)

Edited by Carrioncrows, 19 August 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

On a side note...

Range modules aren't a bad idea.
Giving them to the Clan mechs -- whose targeting computer gives them range enhancements for lasers -- wasn't all that bright.

The drawback of heat on IS mechs, where the heat is higher than canon for small and medium class lasers, was a very wrong direction. Other penalties, such as slightly slower cooldown times... would be useful and balanced.

#19 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

so with the addition of new modules ongoing, can we please have the sell-back price on par with the purchase price? I think that would be fair since the whole module system is in flux, and they are so very expensive.

Also, I was wondering if there was any talk on a velocity module for projectiles like PPCs and such? And anything for LRMs?

#20 Past

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:29 PM

View PostSICk Nick, on 19 August 2014 - 07:09 PM, said:

so with the addition of new modules ongoing, can we please have the sell-back price on par with the purchase price? I think that would be fair since the whole module system is in flux, and they are so very expensive.

That's a great Idea and the reasoning is solid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users