94 replies to this topic

#81 b1ue

• Pip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

View PostGorgo7, on 22 August 2014 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thus your money was better spent on the module.

Also true. :D

#82 Zolomek

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

View PostVanillaG, on 20 August 2014 - 07:15 AM, said:

My idea in the other thread was to use the modules for defining the manufacturer. We know that weapons modules can contain multiple quirks, i.e. range bonus with additional heat. It would easy to create a "Martell Medium Laser" module that gave decreased range, increased ROF and shorter beam duration.

This is exactly what I had hoped PGI would do with the Weapon modules.

Say you go out and get a Martell or Diverse Optics Weapon module. The module applies the fluff values for that Manufacturers weapons to available selected weapons in your mech (They both don't just make Medium lasers).

These modules could change; the beam / exhaust / muzzle flash color, the heat your weapons produce, their ranges min and/or max, their travel time to target, their cool down, and their beam / jam rate duration.

You could even have the choice to apply the fluff weapon values to only a few weapons on a mech instead of all of them. Say you have a Stalker and modules from both Manufacturers you would have the ability to have your Large Lasers and SRM launchers be Martell and your Medium Lasers be Diverse Optics. You just check them from an equipment list off the module itself and you are done.

PGI could do this, it actually bothers me why they have not done this.

Edited by Zolomek, 24 August 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#83 Bhodi Li773

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • Locationwww.PhoenixDominion.com

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

I think most people agree that wep modules dont have a huge benefit most of the time.I think modules are a way of showing YOUR skill as a pilot.Veterans MW's will be bettter at using their mechs pilotingweaponwise.How about modules that increase a pilots skills. Something like the reduced shake when hit by enemy fire *(tiered of course)or smoother flight when using JJ.

This way weps are not changed by modules but simply reflect the Mechwarriors piloting skills(gunnery,JJ use,etc)

#84 Cimarb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostBhodi Li773, on 25 August 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

I think most people agree that wep modules dont have a huge benefit most of the time.I think modules are a way of showing YOUR skill as a pilot.Veterans MW's will be bettter at using their mechs pilotingweaponwise.How about modules that increase a pilots skills. Something like the reduced shake when hit by enemy fire *(tiered of course)or smoother flight when using JJ.

This way weps are not changed by modules but simply reflect the Mechwarriors piloting skills(gunnery,JJ use,etc)

No. Weapon modules should affect the weapons...that is why they are called weapon modules, after all. Consumables and Mech modules should then affect the mech and/or give it additional capabilities, as they currently do.

What you are wanting is "piloting modules", and I would much prefer to have those over the "must grind to be on par" piloting skill system we currently have, which is horrible.

#85 Lourthain

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMaine,US

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Straight....
Honest....
Brutal...
Truth....
( as i have seen it since.. well Ultima online and Everquest1 ( and EVERY other game out since on pc thats mmo in any way))

Not gonna waste time with bla bla... but behind closed doors game design goes like this...

A.) Milk the market( NO ONE DOES THIS STUFF FOR FUN!!!! stop the delusion, people make games TO MAKE MONEY!!!!! period... get over it if ya think otherwise please ffs!!. After sales zenith and start their inevitable downfall, go to 1.)

1.) Make new stuff without regard for gameplay,make it for $, will it (new content etc.) increase revenue?

2.) will it continue to generate income or will we need to think of another way to nickle and dime middle aged men( I know some girls play , over look to the greater point please) hell bent on the nostalgia of ones youth?

3.) If the answer is no, break something so that it( new content) looks more appealing. If this still fails to generate mass income,then return to (A), if (A) continues to fail at profit go to plan B.

B.) Pull plug and google 80's cartoons(etc) and score it rich on next general genre exploiting another avenue of nostalgia .

1.)Return to A.

Proof?!?!? how about G.I.Joe the FPS mmo, um Thundercats the MMo, um.. lets see Steve Jacksons "Car Wars" the MMo (think Mad max the mmo) um lets see what else was hip...a REAL transformers game, machwarrior 'ish the mmo?, um.. My little pony the mmo, um...i could go on and on but not eveyones youth was the same (OH!!! HE_MAN the mmo/game) but point is these vultures care not a gnats arse weather or not the game is good or will last as they will just hit the bank ask for another loan and make millions capatilizing on YOUR YOUTH!!!!!

#86 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

View PostLourthain, on 26 August 2014 - 10:48 AM, said:

lets see Steve Jacksons "Car Wars" the MMo

Oh man, this would be fantastic! The old Apple ][ game was so much fun! It was incredible the amount of stuff they could get out of a few floppy discs.

#87 Lourthain

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMaine,US

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

lmao @ "what does the mech say" but truth told my mech says.. and i quote, Ka-DOOSH...Ka-DOOSH...pew-pew..Ka-DOOSH..pew-pew, ZA_WAAT!!! "Target Destroyed!", ZA_WAAT!! Ka_DOOSH pew pew, "Target destroyed!!" =P

#88 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostHeffay, on 26 August 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Oh man, this would be fantastic! The old Apple ][ game was so much fun! It was incredible the amount of stuff they could get out of a few floppy discs.

When I think of floppy disks, it takes me back to the days of the amazing flight simulators (80s) that came with a stack of 10-15 floppies that you spent the whole weekend installing!

#89 Lourthain

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts
  • LocationMaine,US

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

See.. even the mention of something nostalgic and people get wet, put the wallets away people =P

#90 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostZolomek, on 24 August 2014 - 10:18 AM, said:

This is exactly what I had hoped PGI would do with the Weapon modules.

Say you go out and get a Martell or Diverse Optics Weapon module. The module applies the fluff values for that Manufacturers weapons to available selected weapons in your mech (They both don't just make Medium lasers).

These modules could change; the beam / exhaust / muzzle flash color, the heat your weapons produce, their ranges min and/or max, their travel time to target, their cool down, and their beam / jam rate duration.

You could even have the choice to apply the fluff weapon values to only a few weapons on a mech instead of all of them. Say you have a Stalker and modules from both Manufacturers you would have the ability to have your Large Lasers and SRM launchers be Martell and your Medium Lasers be Diverse Optics. You just check them from an equipment list off the module itself and you are done.

PGI could do this, it actually bothers me why they have not done this.

This a great idea!

On a side note, did these module changes make it into the today's patch as the OP stated?

Edited by cSand, 26 August 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#91 Ellen Ripley

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationLV-426

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

So more modules have now become mandatory for competitive play/maximizing ones chances to win and with that the grind has gotten bigger (not only for comp. pilots). Personally I think it's a poor design decision, if anything the game needs less grind to attract and retain new players.

With basically 2 more modules to equip per Mech, can we now at least get a "strip all modules from all my Mechs" button?

I think I own 3 or 4 of each important module by now anyway, so there is no more CB spending to be expected from me in that regard, and yet I still have to face the annoying process of locating a certain module by induvidually clicking through lots of Mechs all the time.

Could you fix that please?

Edited by Ellen Ripley, 26 August 2014 - 04:44 PM.

#92 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostEllen Ripley, on 26 August 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

With basically 2 more modules to equip per Mech, can we now at least get a "strip all modules from all my Mechs" button?

Problem is, PGI does not want us to swap modules between mechs. We had that ability in the "select mech" window. It was taken away on purpose.

#93 sabujo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:29 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 27 August 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Problem is, PGI does not want us to swap modules between mechs. We had that ability in the "select mech" window. It was taken away on purpose.

That's not true. The fact is that it requires aditional programming in that section of the interface. Once they split the modules in categories, they needed to decide which category would replace the quick module switch, because the interface was designed that way. So, it should be a matter of time for that to be fixed.

A Strip All Modules for All Mechs is something that is needed. Either that or some mini icons in the mech grid stating which mech have modules installed. That would make things a lot simpler and reduce overall frustration.

#94 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 27 August 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

View Postsabujo, on 27 August 2014 - 03:29 AM, said:

That's not true. The fact is that it requires aditional programming in that section of the interface. Once they split the modules in categories, they needed to decide which category would replace the quick module switch, because the interface was designed that way. So, it should be a matter of time for that to be fixed.

A Strip All Modules for All Mechs is something that is needed. Either that or some mini icons in the mech grid stating which mech have modules installed. That would make things a lot simpler and reduce overall frustration.

Close. It was never intended as a means of swapping out modules, but as a method of changing out consumables (so you were not "forced" to use them every match unless you dropped group). It was not a big issue for the short time it allowed you to change out any module, as the new module system was in the pipeline, but I think they should have stated it was a bug to begin with.

A button to "remove all modules on all mechs" is sorely needed, or at least a search functionality to find which mech which module is on, if not both.

#95 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Great! When do we get radar?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users