9 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:01 AM

It would be very hard and very wordy to explain and point your attention to the exact (senses?)things that go on in combat that pros innately understand.

Therefore I have opted to put the things (all warriors) should focus on improving into the format of words, where the exact concept exist somewhere in the boundaries of the cross sections and interconnections of these words. In other-words, I dont have a word for the thing, but these things describe the thing that is, if that makes any sense.

The Following concepts help with and are used for:
Information/ prediction/ Judgement /Execution

You can add the words: "Develop a sense of" in front of everything, and think about how it would apply to situations to better understand.

1) Pace/rythm/timing

2) Caution/flee/protect/attack/defend/greed

3)Focus/aggro/intent

4)Position/momentum/force/destination

5)Change/misdirection

The following things are things people can "sense" and use to make actions of their own or determine the actions of their opponent. For example, deciding when to push, when to take cover. When not to focus, who to focus. How much safety time they have. When attacking will lead to certain death, when attacking is favorable. When deceit is at hand. These things all depend of these "Senses"

Another things is to keep in mind the commonality of behavior across people.

For example: Right handers like to turn right, or that, this person seems experienced so they will act "this way" most likely. This person seems new so they will act "this way" seems most likely. Or ... things are going favorable... I have become sloppy. Or the enemy has let their guard down, they anticipate victory.

Is this person a follower?
Is this person using their brain at all or acting like a machine?
Is this person a leader or position of importance?
Is this person a weak spot in their formation or a bulwark?
What is going on in the other persons head?
What is going on in my own head?

Edited by ManDaisy, 20 August 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#2 PadreGrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:56 AM

1 - Win All Without Fighting
Your aim must be to take all-under-heaven intact. Thus your troops are not worn out and your gains will be complete. This the art of offensive strategy.

2 - Avoid Strength, Attack Weakness
Now an army may be likened to water, for just as flowing water avoids heights and hastens to the lowlands, so an army avoids strength and strikes weakness.

3 - Deception and Foreknowledge
Determine the enemy's plans and you will know which strategy will be successful and which will not.

4 - Speed and Preparation
Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions. To rely on rustics and not prepare is the greatest of crimes; to be prepared beforehand for any contingency is the greatest of virtues.

5 - Shaping The Opponent
Look into the matter of his alliances and cause them to be severed and dissolved. If an enemy has alliances, the problem is grave and the enemy's position strong; if he has no alliances the problem is minor and the enemy's position weak. He who knows the art of the direct, and the indirect approach will be victorious.

6 - Character-based Leadership
By command I mean the general's qualities of wisdom, sincerity, humanity, courage and strictness.

- If wise, a commander is able to recognize changing circumstances and to act expediently.
- If sincere, his men will have no doubt of the certainty of rewards and punishments.
- If humane, he loves mankind, sympathizes with others and appreciates their industry and toil.
- If courageous, he gains victory by seizing opportunity without hesitation.
- If strict, his troops are disciplined because they are in awe of him and are afraid of punishment.

Information leads to focus, which leads to action, which leads to positioning, this leads to more information, and so on.

#3 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts
  • LocationRunning rampant in K-Town

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:01 AM

Sun Tzu?

#4 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

While Sun Tzu's advice extends to the macroscopic scale (big picture) developing ones senses on a microscopic scale (individual) is important as well and the first step to improvement without trying to take on anything too big.

Likewise I would advise focusing on improving one's own ability (zen advice) first before trying to command a unit (Sun tzu advice)

Be able to read the flow of individuals first, because that is where combat happens. Foundation is important. When you feel your ready then move onto the macro scale stuff.

Edited by ManDaisy, 20 August 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#5 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Personally, I always preferred Musashi's "The Book of 5 Rings" over "The Art of War."

But to each their own.

#6 Sirius Drake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 467 posts
  • LocationThe Aett

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

View PostMarineTech, on 20 August 2014 - 01:32 PM, said:

Personally, I always preferred Musashi's "The Book of 5 Rings" over "The Art of War."

But to each their own.

Try von Clausewitz "vom Krieg" (on war) if you want try something more modern.
Though its 10 parts and a pain in the a.... to read, it is still very interessting.

#7 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

View PostManDaisy, on 20 August 2014 - 12:01 AM, said:

It would be very hard and very wordy to explain and point your attention to the exact (senses?)things that go on in combat that pros innately understand.

Therefore I have opted to put the things (all warriors) should focus on improving into the format of words, where the exact concept exist somewhere in the boundaries of the cross sections and interconnections of these words. In other-words, I dont have a word for the thing, but these things describe the thing that is, if that makes any sense.

The Following concepts help with and are used for:
Information/ prediction/ Judgement /Execution

You can add the words: "Develop a sense of" in front of everything, and think about how it would apply to situations to better understand.

1) Pace/rythm/timing

2) Caution/flee/protect/attack/defend/greed

3)Focus/aggro/intent

4)Position/momentum/force/destination

5)Change/misdirection

The following things are things people can "sense" and use to make actions of their own or determine the actions of their opponent. For example, deciding when to push, when to take cover. When not to focus, who to focus. How much safety time they have. When attacking will lead to certain death, when attacking is favorable. When deceit is at hand. These things all depend of these "Senses"

Another things is to keep in mind the commonality of behavior across people.

For example: Right handers like to turn right, or that, this person seems experienced so they will act "this way" most likely. This person seems new so they will act "this way" seems most likely. Or ... things are going favorable... I have become sloppy. Or the enemy has let their guard down, they anticipate victory.

Is this person a follower?
Is this person a leader or position of importance?
Is this person a weak spot in their formation or a bulwark?
What is going on in the other persons head?
What is going on in my own head?

Nothing is really innate, it all comes after practice. Well, most of us would like to believe that

And you can use as many adjectives and "categories" to break down competitive gameplay as you wish.

Some that come to mind immediately that are thrown around competitive FPS shooters are:

1) situational awareness

2) angles

3) crosshair placement

4)crossfiring

I have a guide on our CSJ forums http://smokejaguars.com

Edited by E N E R G Y, 21 August 2014 - 05:59 AM.

#8 MarineTech

• The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

View PostSirius Drake, on 21 August 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Try von Clausewitz "vom Krieg" (on war) if you want try something more modern.
Though its 10 parts and a pain in the a.... to read, it is still very interessting.

Read it. I agree with you, it was a pain in the fundament. Also read Machiavelli's "The Prince." THAT one held my interest.

#9 Kanya Pryde

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

After playing for a year, the pebbles that bring my 100 ton assault mech to a complete stop tend to kill my zen.

I am by no means a leader of mechwarriors, but am approaching a level that I would call competent in the game. It is my opinion that in addidtion to learning the controls of mech combat a new player's next most important goals are to:

"learn how the maps work"

To expand, you need to learn how your particular mech and weapon loadout will behave on the various maps. Learn the strong points of maps, where people tend to congregate on particular maps and how to avoid traps on said maps.

"join a group of warriors who are more skilled than yourself"

Stop pugging and find people who understand this game and pick their brains about how to pilot a mech and work the terrain. No other thing improved my play more than joining a group of veterans on teamspeak. You simply do not get better at anything by crushing less worthy adversaires or "carrying harder" than you whole team. You get better at anything in life by being around people who are better at it than you are.

#10 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

*Sees my lance full of trial heavies trying to follow my 171kph Commando at the start of the round on Alpine.*

Nope, no brains there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users