Need A Replacment Card

17 replies to this topic

#1 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

ok so a week ago I lost my motherboard and my grafics card.i had 2 gig ram ddr2 GeForce 8800 gt 512,256 bit rate oh and cpu is dual core 3 ghtz. I had a frame rate of between 35 to 45 in game. I live in afica. so I was happy with what I had. but since I replaced my grafics card with a gforce 9800gt and put in exctra ram[3 gigs now] I get only about 20fps in game. cant play like that. any advice as to what I should get in place of the 9800, clearly its not good enough

Edited by Sudden, 21 August 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#2 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

We are going to need more information. Give us complete PC specs and someone will be able to help you make a solid cost effective decision based on what equipment you have already......

#3 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

ok currently 3gighertz dual core cpu
3gig ddr2 ram
gforce 9800 gt 512, at 256 bit rate
os is windows 7.
motherboard is msi g31-m7-te

thanks

#4 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:48 AM

I would recommend an AMD 5770 (or 7770 if you want a more current version - they are basically the same card). I used one to replace 2 AMD 8800 GTS that were crossfired a few years ago, Should be a still available, low cost solution that will give a little bump to performance. Not sure about memory configurations on the card (2GB v 1GB) but more is better. My next upgrade was an AMD 5870 - which I still use today in a 2nd PC. Good luck.

#5 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:09 AM

thanks

#6 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

The GT9800 is actually benchmarked as being slightly less powerful than the GT8800 from what I can tell. Before buying a new GPU, you may want to do some performance comparisons using GPUBoss.

#7 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

yeah going 50% to 100% more powerful in GPU upgrade is a safe bet............I think your PSU will be your limiting factor in the end.

Obviously your CPU will be tapped out if You start cranking settings up.....but you at least need to know what is a safe amount of power you can take from your PSU.........100W to 200W is a large difference if your PSU is tired and old and or low power.

#8 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

View Postbayoucowboy, on 21 August 2014 - 04:48 AM, said:

I would recommend an AMD 5770 (or 7770 if you want a more current version - they are basically the same card). I used one to replace 2 AMD 8800 GTS that were crossfired a few years ago, Should be a still available, low cost solution that will give a little bump to performance. Not sure about memory configurations on the card (2GB v 1GB) but more is better. My next upgrade was an AMD 5870 - which I still use today in a 2nd PC. Good luck.

7770 is pretty weak for this game though.. be warned.

#9 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

The problem is that CPU load isn't really that depended on settings. That "3ghz dual core" could be holding you back no matter what. It would help if we could know exactly what that CPU is. Are we talking an E8400, an Athlon II X2, some kind of i3?

Any of those CPUs are going to potentially kill any effort to get good framerates, but some may leave more room for improvement than others, and it helps to be sure that buying a new GPU will even help in the first place.

#10 Sudden

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationK2 cockpit

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

hi guys thanks for all the replies. I still have the same basic pc that I had. but the[ lost my motherboard and grafics card due to a power surge] problem for me now is that have a' better' pc than what I had a week ago, more ram slightly' bigger' gpu but I am gettening worse performance. as for what type of cpu I have, in short I dunno. bought it in 2007 or 2008. maybe even earlier. all your replies are helping thanks a lot.

#11 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

If he's using DDR2 RAM, it's definitely not an i3 or anything even remotely new. I suppose its possible that it could be anything up through the first couple generations of Intel dual cores, or it could be an AMD chip up to the Phenom line (not Phenom II, Phenom II went DDR3 except for a couple special quad-core chips).

The CPU will definitely be holding him back, but if he gets a decent GPU now, at least he won't need to upgrade it when he upgrades the rest of his stuff. AMD is about to release another new card (R9 285) that sounds like it will be worth the money if you can spare it. If not, the 270/270X is probably a good bet. On the Nvidia side, anything of equivalent price or performance (if you prefer Nvidia). I am currently running the game very nicely with a GTX 660 Ti myself.

#12 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:04 AM

Use speccy-

http://www.piriform.com/speccy

#13 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

My recommendation goes out to an AMD card. I've had issues with MWO and Nvidia cards, despite the promotion from ipg/pgi. I'd recommend a R9 270 or 270x. Those are good, solid cards. If you come across a 7870 or 7850, those are workhorses and will serve you well. I've had a 7950 for a little under 2 years now, and it is the best card I've ever had. Solid, fast, and the drivers have been reliable, something I was never pleased with my previous Nvidia cards, a 560 TI, 8800GT, 8800GTS and 7800GT.

View PostxWiredx, on 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

If he's using DDR2 RAM, it's definitely not an i3 or anything even remotely new. I suppose its possible that it could be anything up through the first couple generations of Intel dual cores, or it could be an AMD chip up to the Phenom line (not Phenom II, Phenom II went DDR3 except for a couple special quad-core chips).

The CPU will definitely be holding him back, but if he gets a decent GPU now, at least he won't need to upgrade it when he upgrades the rest of his stuff.

I agree, he most likely has a dual core Core2, probably an e6850 or e8400. I'd recommend a new motherboard and CPU as well if that's the case. Intel's i5 series is unbeatable for value/performance, and if you are comfortable with overclocking, a 3570K or 4670K are great.

Edited by Greenjulius, 21 August 2014 - 07:22 AM.

#14 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

you can usually find an OK video card on ebay for cheap!

#15 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

assuming you have a Intel CPU I would say it's socket 775, here is my recommendation for a Budget Replacement Socket 775 MOBO and GPU (plus DDR3 Ram as MOBO don't use DDR2):
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/L93kHx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....Hx/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT Micro ATX LGA775 Motherboard ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.00 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $209.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-21 16:30 EDT-0400

if it's a AMD CPU, it would likely be AM2/AM2+:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9HwXVn
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker....Vn/by_merchant/

Motherboard: ASRock A785GM-LE Micro ATX AM3/AM2+/AM2 Motherboard ($64.38 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 650 2GB Video Card ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $154.37
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-21 16:35 EDT-0400

the site is American and Prices are in USD. You Said you live in Africa, how do you plan on getting the parts? Any Big PC Stores you can go to that would have a Website so we can recommend parts based on availability in your region? What's your budget?

#16 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:17 PM

View PostSudden, on 21 August 2014 - 07:00 AM, said:

hi guys thanks for all the replies. I still have the same basic pc that I had. but the[ lost my motherboard and grafics card due to a power surge] problem for me now is that have a' better' pc than what I had a week ago, more ram slightly' bigger' gpu but I am gettening worse performance. as for what type of cpu I have, in short I dunno. bought it in 2007 or 2008. maybe even earlier. all your replies are helping thanks a lot.

the 9800gt card should basically be a faster version of your 8800, cpu didn't change either.

maybe your memory is running singlechannel now? that might hurt performance.

maybe forgot to turn down some options?

#17 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

And do not forget to check the very most basics.
I redid the heat sink paste on my 3.0 duo core, and the graphics card- now a slight overclock picked up 10-15 fps, and less heat
CCleaner, defrag auslogics is great, stop process you dont need, like bluetooth for instance, various bloatware installed like printers you dont have etc,
check the bios to make sure the basics are in order i.e. if you're using a soundcard disable onboard sound etc.
allow MWO to go thru the firewall without getting investigated by whatever anti spyware you're using.
with limited computer specs, adhere to the basics.

#18 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Good catch on the DDR2 RAM; I didn't see that. I'm guessing it's probably an E8400, just because that was an insanely popular and common chip (it actually topped Futuremark's most common CPU chart for a long time).

Can an E8400 run the game past 20fps? Eh, yes, enough to make a GPU upgrade worth it, just be aware that minimums will still drop down into the 20s most likely at times. The real solution is just a whole new system, but I know that's not realistic for some people, so for now a GPU is the best one can do, along with upgrading the RAM to 4GB (with an even DIMM setup, like 2x2GB)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users