Help With Clan Starter Pack?

24 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm fairly new to the game. Just completed my cadet bonuses two days ago. Bought a Jenner and it's fun. My 0 score matches are becoming less frequent, so I figure it's time to decide what chassis I want to put the time into leveling up.

I'm interested in buying an a la cart Clan package. I'm thinking one light, one medium and one heavy chassis. So far the Kitfox looks interesting as the light and maybe the Dire Wolf.

I would be really interested in some guidance/help.

If you were fairly new and had the money and desire to fill out your mech bay with three or four Clan packages, which would you pick?

My hope is to Elite up each pack I buy.

Edited by Enlil09, 21 August 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Buying a la carte is more expensive than buying a package when considering price per mech. Considering you like the Kit Fox and Dire Wolf, I would recommend you pick up the Dire Wolf package, as that provides you with 4 chassis to master and several little extras thrown in.

#3 Zack Esseth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 248 posts
  • LocationRith Essa

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Just as Grey Black has said above me. Don't get three of four sets a la carte, its not worth the dollars. But the best mechs look to be the Kit Fox, Storm Crow, Timber Wolf and then the Dire Wale. But for the best bang for your buck, the Diashi pack will get you what you need as the Summoner isn't bad, and the Nova can be a blast.

#4 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Hi there.

If you want deliver a lot of pain go for DIREWOLF.
If you like your Jenner take KIT FOX, its not so quick but all can have ECM and solid gunload.
And many players saying, the TIMBER WOLF is great mech.
WARHAWK is also great, he is quick like average heavy mechs, but its a heavy loaded assault, and very agile.

I dont like too much medium mechs . . . . just my personal opinion.

#5 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf. These are the three strongest Clan chassis. If you want a light, you can get the Kit Fox for Cbills -- no point in paying real money. Better yet, stick with the Jenner as it is one of the two top lights overall (the other being the Ember Firestarter). Better still, play to get the Cbills while you wait for the mechs to unlock. You only really need mechbays -- the rest is fluff, grind reduction, and paying a lot for early access.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

View PostEnlil09, on 21 August 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

I'm fairly new to the game. Just completed my cadet bonuses two days ago. Bought a Jenner and it's fun. My 0 score matches are becoming less frequent, so I figure it's time to decide what chassis I want to put the time into leveling up.

I'm interested in buying an a la cart Clan package. I'm thinking one light, one medium and one heavy chassis. So far the Kitfox looks interesting as the light and maybe the Dire Wolf.

I would be really interested in some guidance/help.

If you were fairly new and had the money and desire to fill out your mech bay with three or four Clan packages, which would you pick?

My hope is to Elite up each pack I buy.

Right now you can get the Kitfox and Nova for cbills.

If you were only interested in a fast-track to acquire the Kitfoxes (to include one that gives a 30% cbill bonus), the 30 dollars to start with on the package tier is much better than the 55 dollar A la Carte price. Though if you were to get more than one mech, the 55 dollar price goes down (and if you get 6 it comes down to 30 per mech, much like the packages are 30 per mech).

If you were to go for 4 of them... then the 4 in the highest tiers would be the way to go right now. Summoner is already available for MC and the Dire Wolf is about to be. Next month the Summoner and Dire Wolf will be available for cbills.

Adder, Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, and Warhawk are the last ones to release and are months away for buying with cbills. If you can't wait, that's the route.

For the highest value for your buck with the A La Carte, then Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf, Warhawk and your choice of either Summoner or Stormcrow. Please note I define value as in time and cbills saved per dollar (a Summoner for cbills was about 13 million, so a Dire Wolf is likely to be in the 18 million and up range....per configuration/variant).

Edited by Koniving, 21 August 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

Actually, what you could do...

You can try out the three Clan mechs currently available without the pre-order. Kitfox, Nova, and Summoner on the public test server.

But right now the public test server has some delays. ;) This gives you plenty of time to download it though if you're interested.

More info including how to download/run it.
Registration is just "your account must exist before X" time, aka before yesterday morning.

Edited by Koniving, 21 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#8 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

I agree with above. If possible hop on the test server tonight, they have it up 24 hours this time, so you should be able to squeeze some time in. They inject cbills and mc in the public test servers for you to play with.

Otherwise the Direwolf pack is a great idea.

third, and best piece of advice. Join a unit, there are plenty to choose from. Clan, IS or Mercs, you have many options. Experienced players would help you to improve your game and give you suggestions on the mechs to buy and builds for them. Also this game is a lot more fun dropping with people, making friends and such stuff.

Also, Welcome to MWO, enjoy your stay.

#9 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostModo44, on 21 August 2014 - 11:35 AM, said:

Stormcrow, Timber Wolf, Dire Wolf. These are the three strongest Clan chassis. If you want a light, you can get the Kit Fox for Cbills -- no point in paying real money. Better yet, stick with the Jenner as it is one of the two top lights overall (the other being the Ember Firestarter). Better still, play to get the Cbills while you wait for the mechs to unlock. You only really need mechbays -- the rest is fluff, grind reduction, and paying a lot for early access.

Very much this trinity

#10 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Welcome to MW:O. Everyone else pretty much covered what needs to be said.

I will re-iterate, that the best thing you can do right now is use the public test server, and try out the three clan mechs they have in there. You already like the kitfox, so that one is done. The Nova and Summoner should be the next to try.

Just remember to play the summoner like a medium, not a heavy, and use those JJs, you have 5 of them built into it that can't be removed. So work them.

The nova is a great medium, and is astoundingly good as a member of a wolfpack, don't go overboard with the energy weapons or you will explode.

Finally, have fun, and if you have any other questions, we're here to help.

#11 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

View PostCookiemonter669, on 21 August 2014 - 12:09 PM, said:

Very much this trinity

The unholy Clan trinity?

#12 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

Wow, this is a pretty active forum. Thanks so much for the great advice!

For feedback, you've got me thinking of doing the following:
  • Join the test server tonight for sure.
  • Pick up the Stormcrow, Timber Wolf and Dire Wolf packs for $135
  • Still debating on the Kitfox pack as well. Another $40 seems like a deal - but jeez, $175 is pretty steep.
  • Alternately I could buy the $30 C-Bill pack and pick up the Jenner Onyx and one other variant.

Then start grinding my way up to elite on all of them.

Feels like that would keep me all set up with fun and games for a year or more.

Sound like a plan?

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

View PostEnlil09, on 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM, said:

Still debating on the Kitfox pack as well. Another $40 seems like a deal - but jeez, $175 is pretty steep.

I was going to say if it was that big of a difference grab the 30 dollar one (it's the same thing).

Then I tried it on the A La Carte. If you take Stormcrow, Dire Wolf, Timber Wolf and add that Kitfox it becomes 160 instead of 175. (If you add a 5th mech, it becomes 175).

Definitely wait on them, though, and toy with them on Smurfy. Stock Timber Wolf Prime is already pulled up.

#14 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:40 PM

I would buy the Mad Cat collection if I was you.

$210 / 12 months = $17.50 per month = peanuts!

#15 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

View PostAssmodeus, on 21 August 2014 - 01:40 PM, said:

I would buy the Mad Cat collection if I was you.

$210 / 12 months = $17.50 per month = peanuts!

This is what happens to me every time I go into Best Buy to pick up a screen protector or other ten cent item. Never get out the door for less that $200! LOL.

Seriously though, $210 bucks for 21 Mechs (comes to $10 a mech), plus all the fluff. Hmmm...... Reminds me of that Mack1 vid where he spent the whole 20 minutes clicking "purchase", and then clicking "cancel", on that mech he wanted. Got the same dialog going on in my head right now. Ha!

Edited by Enlil09, 21 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#16 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 21 August 2014 - 12:03 PM, said:

third, and best piece of advice. Join a unit, there are plenty to choose from. Clan, IS or Mercs, you have many options. Experienced players would help you to improve your game and give you suggestions on the mechs to buy and builds for them. Also this game is a lot more fun dropping with people, making friends and such stuff.

Also, Welcome to MWO, enjoy your stay.

Thanks! I will look into joining a unit tonight. I hadn't considered that because I'm so shiny noobie new. Didn't occur to me that units accept fodder like me.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

You'll find that the better ones (not the redundantly competitive, but better as in more fun to be with) prefer new players. New players can be trained and molded into team players with ease. Experienced players are hardset in how they play.

Edited by Koniving, 21 August 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#18 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

View PostGrey Black, on 21 August 2014 - 12:19 PM, said:

The unholy Clan trinity?

you might say that ;)

#19 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostEnlil09, on 21 August 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Thanks! I will look into joining a unit tonight. I hadn't considered that because I'm so shiny noobie new. Didn't occur to me that units accept fodder like me.

As Koniving said. The good units (which are the majority thankfully), prefer newer players to older ones. Newer players are more likely to play as a team. Funny enough I had a similar problem with training a new comer (to my unit, been playing for a year or so solo), and he was a nightmare to work with. Did not follow orders, did not stick with the lance, and just ran around in a RVN-3L with ECM and 2 ERLLs trying to snipe while we got killed by LRMs without his ECM cover. I woulda brought ECM with me to cover the lance, but he had it, and I made the mistaken assumption of thinking he would cover us (you'd think people that join units want to play WITH the unit).

Hop onto any TS server, and more likely than not, people will not you to join them.

Here's a thread with many still functioning servers in it.

http://mwomercs.com/...e-chat-servers/

The Davion server has actually changed. It is now ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

#20 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:40 PM

I would suggest getting your Jenner elited. It is a different thing with 10% more speed. You can get a full set of 3 with just c-bills (D, F, and K). You can spend EXP under the skills tab to get perks. Get all of the basic perks for 3 variants of a chassis and then the elite perks open up. Once you get the speed tweak perk for a mech it goes 10% faster. Get all of the elite perks for 3 variants of a weight class, and the module perk opens up for that class.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users