First Buy - 3 Variants

54 replies to this topic

#21 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:54 AM

Trenchbucket 7K with AC20 and 2 medium lasers,is the most survivable and fast c-bill AC20-medium in the game.(extremely hard to disarm,really cheap,runs cool,goes fast with a STD engine etc.)

#22 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

locust

#23 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 22 August 2014 - 07:02 AM, said:

locust

Shame on you Bigbacon. I'm disappointed in you.... :D

Jody

#24 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

View PostDaemonTor, on 22 August 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

1) I like LRM support. So one variant should allow me to play a LRM support role with some small energy weapons for defense and an occasional skirmish. I really like the Kintaro trial mech and I would like to see something like that maybe with a NARC or TAG.

2) The second variant should allow me to play a (jump)sniper build or simply somethign that can shoot over long distances. That's something I didn't really try but I came to situations when I was looking at a valley full of enemy mechs and I wished I had long range weapons. :D

3) I'm not really decided about the third variant. It could be a light hunter or a simple brawler. I'll leave this open and hopefully it will allow for various suggestions even mech-wise.

If you're liking the medium weight class and you want these things then the Shadowhawk is for you. All the variants are pretty good. My least favorite is the 5M but I believe that comes with some nice equipment you can use on the others as well. Namely a XL275 engine.

If you can wait, this upcoming Tuesday the Nova should become available for Cbills. It doesn't really match the criteria you've listed but it has some interesting things going for it, namely access to Clan technology. It can't use missiles, doesn't mount ballistics as easily, and I don't know if it is a good poptart and they're a bit more expensive. However it can mount 12 ER medium lasers that when used as a one two punch (remember only fire 6 at the same time) can deal up to 84 damage. It is more of a striker that delivers a heavy blow and then backs off while it recovers from the heat spike. Just something to consider.

Edited by Rouken, 22 August 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#25 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

The Nova is great and worth considering, but it doesn't really do any of the things the OP asked for.

I do really like the Nova, though.

#26 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

Shadowhawks are the most versatile mediums in terms of builds. They have a great spread of hardpoints in solid locations and can be built to perform any role well. Solid hit boxes as well with arms that can shield.

#27 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

If you want to think outside of the box, the Thunderbolts would allow for the different styles you mention. Otherwise, Griffens and Shadowhawks, as has been brought up. Play with smurfy, see what you like. Also, look at mech loadouts when you see them in game.

#28 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 22 August 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

Shame on you Bigbacon. I'm disappointed in you.... :D

Jody

i am serious...more people need to understand the joy of the locust

#29 DeathlyEyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • 940 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMetaphorical Island somewhere in the Pacific

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

look at the quickdraw and shadowhawk maybe? You are asking a lot out of one chassis. It's hard to find one that can do it all. The highlander use to be able to but now that it's jump jets are paperweights it doesn't fill the jump sniping role

Edited by DeathlyEyes, 22 August 2014 - 09:24 AM.

#30 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

View PostDeathlyEyes, on 22 August 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

look at the quickdraw and shadowhawk maybe? You are asking a lot out of one chassis. It's hard to find one that can do it all. The highlander use to be able to but now that it's jump jets are paperweights it doesn't fill the jump sniping role

+1 to quickdraws

and the 4h and 4g are for sale,for three of them it takes now about 17 mil to outfit + xl engine

#31 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Well.. My suggestions would change depending on whether or not you have taken off the "Armlock" training wheels.

If you have, then I've got a wide range of mechs to suggest. If you have not, then this list is gonna be pretty limited.

Of your criteria, jump sniping is what I would consider expendable. So anything that drops the second criteria's jump sniping will be listed as "X-expendable." Just means it can't jump.
Those which are better with armlock off will be listed as "x-Arms."

In the medium category...
Shadowhawks.
Wolverines - Arms.
Griffins - Arms. (Works either way).
Trebuchets - arms.

Kintaros - expendable - arms.
Hunchbacks - expendable - arms.
Centurions - expendable - arms. (Works either way).

In the heavy category...
(Sorry, don't recommend Quickdraws as a starter mech).
Catapults. (Great one if you have yet to turn off the armlock).
Jagermech - expendable. (Great if you have yet to turn off armlock; also a good 'armlock off trainer' mech).
Thunderbolts - Arms.
Cataphracts - Arms.

In the assault category...
Do not recommend Victors (it can do everything you want; but if anyone sees your Victor, they will slaughter you just because "OMG VICTOR KILL IT ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG DIE!!!!")

Battlemasters - expendable. Arms (optional).
Highlanders - Arms (optional). Highlanders used to be the target of focused slaughter too, but no one is as afraid of their meta sniper builds. Ironically most people have never faced their deadly brawling builds or their LRM builds.

If you take out all the "Arms" that list gets really tiny...

#32 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:50 PM

Also, please remember when you go to look at the mechs to (instead of using the store) use the Mechbay.
Click Filter (near the top-left-center of the screen)
Posted Image
and choose Purchasable.

This way you can see, sort, etc. the mechs.
Check them out in Smurfy, too and remember you can change things like armor, structure, etc. So focus mostly on hardpoints and engine size limits.

#33 Motörhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 262 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

If you get the SHD, don't skip the 2K, it has all the roles :

BRAWLER (an a beast of a brawler, one of the best mediums)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5f86f9c00927aa3

LRM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a30f3cc41566da

JUMP SNIPER (with nice close range defense for when they enter your 90m minimum range)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cf89439ca5ec804

LIGHT HUNTER

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a5c810edad2524a

As you can see, you will only need to buy the universal XL300 engine, that is a must have anyway so you won't waste any money because it can be used successfully on about any mech that can equip it.

You will have to swap artemis on and off from brawler to LRM tho, unless you drop some ammos and downgrade lasers

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0ecb8294ab97953

Edited by fx8320, 22 August 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#34 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Welcome to mwomercs, Mechwarrior!

My first mech I bought through C-Bills was the Centurion medium then I played around with the Raven light and Catapult heavy mechs. When I went for Assault I went for the Stalker. All three mech types have a decent variety of weapon setups for you to play around with for long/medium/short range support.

The trial mechs are just there for you to experiment with without having to spend your hard earned C-Bills. You can always adjust the weapon groups to your preference. Make sure to fine tune your keyboard/mouse/joystick setup to your liking so you can be more effective in battle. As for me I just printed out a page of the keyboard setup so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting which key did what in the middle of battle (quick references basically) http://static.mwomer...me/controls.png I think is the link to that page.

Other than that there are plenty of youtube vids to enjoy that are related to mwomercs gameplay so you can get ideas and suggestion of setups that work for other mechwarriors of which may or may not work for you.

I hope you enjoy your time here with us and have a blast!

#35 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

View PostDaemonTor, on 22 August 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:

Dear veteran MechWarriors,

I just recently started with MWO (no previous MW exposure) and I'm amazed how complex the game is. It's a true "thinking's person shooter". I like the pace of the game, I like all the different tech's. The mechs have spot on durability - they allow for a mistake now and then but make too many and you're dead.

That being said I need your help. I'm about to buy my first mech. I did my homework to spend a lot of time on forums to learn a few things. I played with the trial mechs to get a taste of each class (although I did very poorly with assaults - I think I'm missing something there). I decided to go for medium mechs. I also liked lights but they seem to be too important to the match to give it into hands of an inexperienced pilot. ;) A medium mech feels like it can contribute to the battle now and then and yet its loss is not a big blow to the team. I already know I will need 3 different types of the same mech to unlock my elite skills. And that's where the question comes in:

I'd like to have 3 different variants of a mech that still allow me to play very unique styles. I need your advice (possibly with a build link - I have no ambitions to design my own builds atm) as to which mech is the best for me to buy and still be able to play these 3 different play styles (with each variant dedicated to one):

1) I like LRM support. So one variant should allow me to play a LRM support role with some small energy weapons for defense and an occasional skirmish. I really like the Kintaro trial mech and I would like to see something like that maybe with a NARC or TAG.

2) The second variant should allow me to play a (jump)sniper build or simply somethign that can shoot over long distances. That's something I didn't really try but I came to situations when I was looking at a valley full of enemy mechs and I wished I had long range weapons. :angry:

3) I'm not really decided about the third variant. It could be a light hunter or a simple brawler. I'll leave this open and hopefully it will allow for various suggestions even mech-wise.

Please keep in mind that it's all mechs for a newbie so it doesn't have to be the best and most expensive (to buy and to run) build out there. Like I said - I had great fun with the trial Kintaro and I heard trials were very weak in terms of optimization. If you however feel that a specific variant is really good (and it's just expensive or hard to master), mention it and just hint that it's expensive/difficult to master or whatever. The goal is for me to have a clear path on which 3 mech variants to buy and how to equip them so that I can concetrate on the above playstyles, have fun and still progress towards my basic & elite skills.

Thanks so much, guys!

do everything ? Simple.

Timberwolf.

#36 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

I second Shadow Hawks.

#37 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

I have mastered the Hunchbacks, and they have some great builds/set-ups, But the hunch can be the bane of peoples existence while learning the game, but if ya want to learn, it is one of the best mechs going.

that said, I am in love with the wolverines. The are a ton more durable than people give um credit for, and while each varriant is a less versatile than say the shadow hawk, the extra torso twist, really makes up for it.

#38 Fire and Salt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

Shadow hawk is a great mech.

2D2 can be a light hunter with lasers+streaks, but you will need to buy a large and expensive XL engine.

2D2 can also be an lrm boat.

You can also jump snipe with this mech. 1 ac10 and 1 erppc is an OK place to start, and since its a lighter weapons load, you have a little more flexibility with engine choices.

The 5M comes with an XL engine, which is nice.

The 2k is unique in that its shoulder gun holds lasers rather than ballistics.

Note that the 2h and the 5m can both do 2ac5 + 1 erppc which is a good meta jump sniper. (There is a champion version if you want to spend mc that is already built like this)

Good luck!

#39 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:17 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 22 August 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

The Nova is great and worth considering, but it doesn't really do any of the things the OP asked for.

I do really like the Nova, though.

Would this mean the nova is new player friendly?

#40 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

View Postdragnier1, on 26 August 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Would this mean the nova is new player friendly?

Everything is new-player-friendly.

Some chassis just happen to teach the new player more hard lessons than others. lol

I love the Nova, but it has it's drawbacks. It will definitely edumacate you on how to twist to avoid and spread damage. Enemies can pop off a nova's arms with ease... and everyone knows it by now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users