First Buy - 3 Variants

54 replies to this topic

#1 DaemonTor

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

Dear veteran MechWarriors,

I just recently started with MWO (no previous MW exposure) and I'm amazed how complex the game is. It's a true "thinking's person shooter". I like the pace of the game, I like all the different tech's. The mechs have spot on durability - they allow for a mistake now and then but make too many and you're dead.

That being said I need your help. I'm about to buy my first mech. I did my homework to spend a lot of time on forums to learn a few things. I played with the trial mechs to get a taste of each class (although I did very poorly with assaults - I think I'm missing something there). I decided to go for medium mechs. I also liked lights but they seem to be too important to the match to give it into hands of an inexperienced pilot. B) A medium mech feels like it can contribute to the battle now and then and yet its loss is not a big blow to the team. I already know I will need 3 different types of the same mech to unlock my elite skills. And that's where the question comes in:

I'd like to have 3 different variants of a mech that still allow me to play very unique styles. I need your advice (possibly with a build link - I have no ambitions to design my own builds atm) as to which mech is the best for me to buy and still be able to play these 3 different play styles (with each variant dedicated to one):

1) I like LRM support. So one variant should allow me to play a LRM support role with some small energy weapons for defense and an occasional skirmish. I really like the Kintaro trial mech and I would like to see something like that maybe with a NARC or TAG.

2) The second variant should allow me to play a (jump)sniper build or simply somethign that can shoot over long distances. That's something I didn't really try but I came to situations when I was looking at a valley full of enemy mechs and I wished I had long range weapons. :D

3) I'm not really decided about the third variant. It could be a light hunter or a simple brawler. I'll leave this open and hopefully it will allow for various suggestions even mech-wise.

Please keep in mind that it's all mechs for a newbie so it doesn't have to be the best and most expensive (to buy and to run) build out there. Like I said - I had great fun with the trial Kintaro and I heard trials were very weak in terms of optimization. If you however feel that a specific variant is really good (and it's just expensive or hard to master), mention it and just hint that it's expensive/difficult to master or whatever. The goal is for me to have a clear path on which 3 mech variants to buy and how to equip them so that I can concetrate on the above playstyles, have fun and still progress towards my basic & elite skills.

Thanks so much, guys!

#2 WaddeHaddeDudeda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts
  • LocationAllocation Relocation Dislocation

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:23 AM

Hey,

I won't be at home until tomorrow so I can't really throw up something at the moment.
But I'd highly recommend the Shadowhawk to you. It can fulfill pretty much any role (also the ones you've mentioned).

Want to fling LRMS (+ energy backup and a tag laser?) = no problem.
Want to brawl with an AC 20 and some energy weapons? = no problem.
Want to brawl with 3 SRM 6s and some energy weapons? = no problem.
Want to jumpsnipe with 2 PPCs and an AC 5? (or 1 PPC, 2 AC 5s or even 2 PPC and 1 AC 10) = no problem.
Want to be an allrounder with an AC 20 (or Gauss Rifle) and an ERPPC? = no problem.
Want to hunt lights with 4 streak srms and lasers? = no problem.

The list could be continued almost endlessly.

The things you WILL need in all those configs are Double Heatsinks and Endosteel. Also at least a STD 250 engine, better a XL 255. If you have these things you can start to experiment (with the weapons listed above).

I can throw up some configs in about 24 hours, if you want to.
You can also fiddle around yourself over here.

Other options you could go for:

1. Hunchback - not as versatile and not really great in your demanded roles, but cheap.
2. Trebuchet - fits your desired roles great, but imho the Shadowhawk outclasses it in every aspect.

PS: Check the link below my signature and take a look into the guide. It's outdated (weapon stats and Mech recommendations) but all the basics still apply.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:24 AM

Welcome to MWO.

You want the Shadowhawk for jump sniping and general versatility. The mech has limited cockpit visibility and arm reach, but you can work around that with bigger engines, and torso pitch is amazing. The 2D/2D2 is king as far as trying different setups goes. Anything except dual guns fits, and the chassis is strong, so it is the most often recommended new player purchase. The trial 2H is good for jump-sniping, but you may want to grab the 5M instead as it will get you the XL275 engine much cheaper than buying separately. (Many M variants have a "cheaply pre-upgraded" perk.) The 2K is another interesting one, allowing for some easy energy and/or missile boating.

The Griffin is a great choice for more missile-focused builds. The cockpit is wide open, and you can twist to fire directly behind the mech with arm weapons. It has no ballistic variant, though, and the right arm is a liability. The 1N is pretty useful for anything you would want, the 3M will -- again -- get you a relatively cheap XL engine setup.

#4 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

You seem to have done a lot of research, you're on a good road. Keep at it!

The answer to your questions is as many others are going to say, the Shadowhawk. It's one of the heaviest mediums(55 tons), which seems to be the sweetspot for armor, speed and loadout. Most importantly it combines ballistic, missile and energy slots so it can be built for many different roles. This flexibility makes it one of the best mechs to learn this game.

Other 55 tonners are more specialized(SRM brawling and LRM support) and I wouldn't recommend them at this stage. Though, other 55 tonners are more mobile than the SHD(have more torso yaw, bonuses to torso twist rate and such), but that's shouldn't be much of a concern for a beginner.

50 tonners are much much more responsive, but many of them have obvious flaws(arms of the Centurion, the hunch of the Hunchback and its squishiness) and they are not as flexible when it comes to building. I'd say they're more geared for experienced players and aggressive gameplay.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

The ShadowHawk and Griffin are your best bets, but i'd humbly suggest that you steer clear of IS mediums for a start. They aren't really in a good place at the moment, in terms of survivability, firepower and, well... viability.

I'd lean towards heavies. Jagermechs are awesome, and can fill all roles, and get my vote (though they don't have JJ's).

#6 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

The wolverine is also capable of providing you with the versatility, though most prefer the shadow hawk over it. The heavies also provide you the same flexibility except catafract (and quickdraw if we exclude the mc hero mech).

View PostWaddeHaddeDudeda, on 22 August 2014 - 01:23 AM, said:

You can also fiddle around your builds over here.

This here is the link to smurfy (as provided by WHD) that allows you to build a mech offline (before you commit your funds) and plan your budgets. As per your title, you need to budget for 3 variants of the same chassis, so i'll suggest you share engine for them (for now). You don't need ambitions to design your own mech :D

If you're looking for suggestions you can browse the battlemech guide sub-forum or http://www.mechspecs.com/forum/.

If you ever decide to play assault, pls don't do what some are now doing: pop in and out like a medium/heavy; turn 180 degrees and run, showing their back armour. They aren't fast enough to do that.

#7 ImperialKnight

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:03 AM

tl:dr. Shadowhawk FTW. most versatile chasis right now, can do all sorts of build. Great for beginners to try out stuff. Griffin is more limited comparatively.

#8 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Like alot of people have said and will say - Shadowhawk, but since you asked for builds, here we go:

1 - LRMHawk SHD-2D2
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2050d2b9eef24ed

You can either use the 5s as chain fire (Chew up AMS or if there is no AMS, you can rock their world for days) or you can group fire, and power through the AMS shrowd.

2 - MetaHawk (The Jumpsniper/Hillhumer) SHD-2H
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=110&l=0613fe52601b0e39a4cd3408685003f1ee1df0ea

You can always downgrade the engine (losing maneuverability and speed) if you need more than 4 tons of ammo. I like limiting my ammo, so I take time to aim with my shots, and not fire just because I see a red triangle off in the distance. You'll want to always lock on, and aim for either CT or SCT(If they are crit, and you think they are running an XL)

3- 20Hawk SHD 2D
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=153&l=f3c783968aaac6772f9c60b0814186d02e8cc356

This is an in-your-face brawler, has the suitability of a STD (meaning you can lose your right torso and only be down 5 pts of damage) However, you will want to protect that left shoulder, where your 20 is. While the hunch is not as pronounced as the Hunchback's, you'll still want to protect it by torso twisting as people will aim for that 20.

A note in all the builds - I don't like putting ammo in the legs, as mediums can be legged fairly quickly against larger mechs, and has a higher chance for ammo explosions. I am a light pilot normally, and I will hunt down everyone's legs, and I've gotten tons of Ammo explosions because people leave ammo in their legs.

Let me know if you got a question on these, or if you want a different build/setup.

Edit: Updated because I forgot to put in JJs (Thanks to Thrud for pointing that out!)

Edited by Not Bob, 22 August 2014 - 03:21 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

here is a breakdown of the Inner Sphere mediums I have played:

Cicada, fast, maneuverable, mostly energy based, ECM variant, ballistic variant, plays like a light

Centurian, most variants can mount energy, ballistic and missile weaponry, if you use a standard engine is very durable, has CT mounted weapons, meaning you cannot easily be left weaponless (most mechs can with a std engine)

Hunchback, all mount energy weapons, some with ballistics, some with missiles, an energy only variant (with up-to 9 lasers), most variants have a highly vulnerable hunch (right torso) containing most of your weapons and making an XL engine highly risky, but will teach you to spread damage by twisting (a very useful skill), great torso twist.

Shadow Hawk, all variants have a mix of ballistic, energy and missile hard points making it extremely versatile, can mount jump jets, limited torso twist compared to other mediums

Griffin, all variants mount energy + missiles, no ballistic variant, great maneuverability and great torso twist, can mount jump jets, my personal favorite medium

Wolverine, all variants mount energy and missile weapons, 1 can also mount ballistics, 2 can mount jump jets, 1 variant with higher max engine than the other 55ton mediums

I have not spent enough time in Blackjack, Vindicator, Trebuchet or Kintaro to give you advice on those

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 22 August 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#10 PanzerSmurf

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

Hmmm well I just unlocked all my JENNER's and managed to finish the Elite grind and set them all up with some better engines and am now looking for a new set too unlock.

I was thinking either the Quickdraw , Trebuchet and the Shadowhawk.

My eye fell upon the 3 above because their speed is relatively high for their armament.

I prefer short range engagements above long range, my JENNER D with 2x SRM system is defo my favorite of my JENNERs atm, so question is, which of the 3 above would be best suited for short range combat and bursts of SRM missiles combined with constant laser barraging while still being maneuverable ?

I already had people suggest the cicada instead, but it seems me like a beefed up JENNER and while I love my JENNER, I want something that's a bit different.

Edited by PanzerSmurf, 22 August 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#11 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:59 AM

I don't own a Shadowhawk, but I've had some good games in the trial one. The Shadowhawk can fit a giant engine and move really fast for it's size, (basically all 55 tonners can) but you'll need to drop around 5 million C-bills on an engine that can't be put on a lot of mechs. I recommend running the most similar trial mech to whatever you decide on for 5 games before you actually buy it.

#12 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:03 AM

View PostNot Bob, on 22 August 2014 - 02:42 AM, said:

3- 20Hawk SHD 2D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...52f7a51754b5b69

This is an in-your-face brawler, has the suitability of a STD (meaning you can lose your right torso and only be down 5 pts of damage) However, you will want to protect that left shoulder, where your 20 is. While the hunch is not as pronounced as the Hunchback's, you'll still want to protect it by torso twisting as people will aim for that 20.

really a shd without jumpjets?

better try this one:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b924f0bd2d8463

adds fero armor and two jumpjets

JJ capable medium without jumpjets is . **** :D

#13 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:05 AM

Though I don't own one, the Shadowhawk is probably not recommended so much as some kind of sick 'stick it to the newbie' inside joke. B)

That said, for variety's sake I can also recommend the Centurion for having 3 varied builds. (also not getting the comment about its arms, it actually has a great shield arm, something you've probably already read about). Let me show you my personal builds:

CN9-A (champion version because it came free through an event but it's the same like the non-champion version): http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b0aaecd44b9a2a
Mostly a long range build meant for support. That AC/2 is meant to be kept blazing be it at short or long range (hence the load of ammo) to spook pilots that are getting plinked by it. The ERLL gives some nice extra punch at long range while combined with the Streaks it also makes for a good mech to scare of Lights. I was really surprised about how fun and effective this mech is.

CN9-AL: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f3539089bc94df
Another support mech, this one with Lrm's with a good 4 Medium Lasers for back-up. Note the limited ammo. This is no missile boat to rain unending death upon enemies. You should be up with friends and give support in the 200-400m range. Once again very fun and effective and this one even doesn't ahve all the meaningful upgrades. Add DHS and Endo and you'd have almost 7 extra tons to play around with while your heat efficiency gets better (mine still deserves this upgrade). More ammo? Heavier lasers? All up to you but even without them a good mech.

CN9-D: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...783a2223395c24e
The mech that I personally struggle the most with. It's a support brawler with some long range punch. Please note the Artemis downgrade. IMO Artemis is not easily worth it except for reducing lock-on times for SSRM2's and with only 2 missile slots it's not getting those. It could also still use the DHS upgrade (which mech doesn't?).

Note that these builds all use an XL275 engine which you don't get with any of the variants (but is the max. rating of the A & AL version). Also front/rear armour values have not been set to meaningful values and the location of ammo/other support components is not optimalised.

They're still 3 fun and versatile builds and well worth trying out. :D

#14 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

my first three mechs ever were shadowhawks and i never regret it... great mechs. also the Griffin what was second mech is great, also for learning. fast, agile and can everything you want... except mounting AC's

#15 Not Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 688 posts
  • LocationThat one place

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:19 AM

View PostThrudvangar, on 22 August 2014 - 03:03 AM, said:

really a shd without jumpjets?

better try this one:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5b924f0bd2d8463

adds fero armor and two jumpjets

JJ capable medium without jumpjets is . **** :D

Oh crap - I totally forgot to put the JJs in all of them! Good catch. lol I was just grabbing them off the fly, lol.

#16 Thrudvangar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

View PostNot Bob, on 22 August 2014 - 03:19 AM, said:

Oh crap - I totally forgot to put the JJs in all of them! Good catch. lol I was just grabbing them off the fly, lol.

:D its almost weekend heheh

#17 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

Welcome aboard! You've hit the nail on the head with MWO's complexity and mch durability allowing for some mistakes to be made since mechs are modular unlike most shooters where you only have a single hitpoint state.

You want a chassis that offers a combination of LRM, jump snipe, and LRMs. That's pretty specific! Shadowhawks really fit the bill here, you can make a fast one with SSRMs(and a BAP) for light-hunting, an LRM mech, and of course a sniper/long range direct fire. Most other mechs that can fit the hardpoints for all those niches don't carry jumpjets, or if they have JJ then ther'e missing something else.

You could also do well in either of the other 55 tonners, the Griffin is a better LRM platform and a better light-hunter (more missile tubes and more torso twist than a Shadowhawk) but less adept at direct-fire, the Wolverine is not bad either. You can't really go wrong with the 55 tonners, and then you can branch out later with a different chassis if you ant more firepower, more speed, etc etc

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

View PostPanzerSmurf, on 22 August 2014 - 02:55 AM, said:

Hmmm well I just unlocked all my JENNER's and managed to finish the Elite grind and set them all up with some better engines and am now looking for a new set too unlock.

I was thinking either the Quickdraw , Trebuchet and the Shadowhawk.

My eye fell upon the 3 above because their speed is relatively high for their armament.

I prefer short range engagements above long range, my JENNER D with 2x SRM system is defo my favorite of my JENNERs atm, so question is, which of the 3 above would be best suited for short range combat and bursts of SRM missiles combined with constant laser barraging while still being maneuverable ?

I already had people suggest the cicada instead, but it seems me like a beefed up JENNER and while I love my JENNER, I want something that's a bit different.

the Griffin seems a good fit for your stated requirements, it is the same speed as the Shadow Hawk with extra maneuverability in exchange for less versatile hard points (no ballistics), all have a mix of missiles and lasers and can mount jump jets.

#19 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

I hate the Shadowhawks (terrible model profile, terrible maneuverability, terrible visibility from the cockpit) but can't argue that for a newb looking to buy their first mech and want it to be a jack-of-all-trades... the SHDs are the best choice.

Start with the 5M. You'll want its engine for the other 2 variants you end up choosing.

#20 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:42 AM

DeamonTor,

I posted the below in another thread about the difference between the Griffin and Hunchback, but what I said there might interest you as well. I directed most of my comment toward the Griffin, but what I had to say really goes for all of the 55 tonners. They are heavier and require larger engines to get that "light" feel to them. A 50 ton mech with a 300 engine is light on it's feet.

I see someone else above mentioned the CN9. They cover all of your wants with the exception of Jump Jets, so keep that in mind if you decide to try the Centurions.

So here is what I recommend to the other new player.

Have you considered the Trebuchet?

Five variants plus a Hero. Two of the variants and the Hero have JJ. Only one, the 7K, has ballistics. My favorite variant is the 7M. It's my go to mech when I'm in a slump. I used it in the Steiner challenge this (2 weekends ago now) weekend and got most of the 20 kills with it.

Another unique variant is the 3C. What the 3C lacks in JJ, it makes up for in being able to mount a 390 engine. A medium mech that can keep up with almost any light mech is really handy, and 139 kph with speed tweak will surprise most light pilots.

What I prefer about the TBT over the GRF, is the handling. Even with a 325 engine the GRF feels sluggish to me. The TBT with a 300 engine is the sweet spot for me. It just seems to "feel" lighter than it is. The GRF is also 5 tons heavier, but to me, it's wasted tonnage. I can do any build a GRF can do in a TBT and be more maneuverable and pack just as much firepower. The TBT also has better balanced hardpoints. The GRF has most of it's hardpoints on the right side. It's not a deal breaker, but I prefer to have a more balanced load out. To me the TBT just offers a pilot more choices. The TBT-7K, the one with the ballistics, is the only TBT variant that suffers from this one sided hardpoint layout, although the ballistic point is in the left torso. All others are on the right side.

The TBT also got a face lift recently with the release of the TBT-LG "Loup de Guerre". All of the missile hardpoints are now 20 tubes with 1 exception on the right arm of the 7K. That means you can mount any size missile launcher in a TBT and get one volley of up to 20 missiles at a time. The face lift also included a reduction in height, I've been told, but I haven't been able to substantiate or find in any patch notes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users