11 replies to this topic

#1 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:28 PM

Since I purchased the Atlas D-DC well over a year ago, one item has been sitting collecting dust, the Command Console. Now that it has some abilities I decided to test it out in the Battlemasters.
Below is what was contained in the patch notes.
  • Command Console
    • Inner Sphere Heavy and Assault 'Mechs only
    • Equippable in the Head component
      • Weight: 3 Tons
      • Slot: 1 Slot
      • Zoom distance increases by 12.0%
      • Sensor range increases by 6.0%
      • Time to gather target info decreases by 42.5%

So I can zoom in 2.24X and have a 6% increase in detection range and an increase in target information gathering is also nice. I can not remember what the base detection range is, so I can not use the math to see if the percentages stack or are added together. I was thinking that the detection range is in the 600-750 m range.

So far I have used this little item in Battlemasters with LRMs. In these battlemasters I use BAP with the Advance sensor module. Now how far can I target someone, 1240 m is the farthest I have been able to target someone. I had one hit at 1460 m, but I think a BAP equipped light was closer.

For now I am going to look at this more, but I can see this being very effective in 3 AC 2 mechs, 4 PPC or 4 ERLL builds. Also the direct fire Clan weapons with the targeting computers will be more effective than the command console.

The teams I dropped with have been reacting to my extended detection range when I picked up other mechs with my sensors. Especially on Caustic and Alpine. Forest colony I can pick up the mechs running behind the island on the other side of the ship. This is great information, but without weapons for ranges longer than LRMs, you need the team.

Since there is are a few challenges this weekend ending with 50 wins, may be some of us might want to test out the command console and see just how effective it is. I had to remove one ton of LRM ammo, one ton of AMS ammo one Double heat sink. So far I have raised my W/L ratio and have died less.

The big question, is the 3 tons in the head worth it?

</p>

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostBarkem Squirrel, on 22 August 2014 - 01:28 PM, said:

The big question, is the 3 tons in the head worth it?

No. If it was just a ton, then it might be useful on a big mech for nearly instant targeting info. If it did something special team-wise, like allowing more targets to be shared with the team or opening up better information/ordering options, then it might be a thing for a dedicated scout/lead mech. It is just a waste of tonnage at the moment.

#3 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

Why it doesn't work more closely aligned to how Clan targeting computers work is beyond me, then it would be usefull. For 3 tons I rather live without it for the current meagre benefits.

#4 T0rmented

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 317 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

you get to 1250m detection with advanced sensor + BAP. BAP also stacks with target info. Those modules + BAP = Command console redundant

#5 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

I have it in my D-DC because I had a few spare tons, so any benefits I get from it, no matter how small, are useful if not all that noticeable. If I needed those three tons for something else though, I'd drop it without a thought.

#6 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Now I have run enough matches to see what the command console can do.

The one thing is detection, since LRMs and IS ERLL can not fire that far. A second is replacing target Info Gathering module.

So is it worth it? I will leave that at maybe.

It has more use allowing PUGs to see more on the map. It also influenced where they went due to that information.

The one thing that was a great benefit on all maps was the target info Gathering. With the change in Modules, this might be better. It did allow me to see the damage on a mech below 180 m faster, and allow me to target those damaged areas with my back up ML's.

So in PUGs it can have an effect on situational awareness for the rest of the team, and for the mech in question it will provide quicker targeting data to attack a specific spot on another mech.

In team play with VOIP it is not needed since you can still see the mechs and say the location.

#7 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's just too heavy for the little bonuses it gives.3 tons of spare tonnage is very hard to come by even in an IS Assault.

If you really need the targeting range and speed, bring a BAP instead and also enjoy your counter ECM bonuses for half the tonnage. If you really need more zoom, bring the Advanced Zoom Module.

#8 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

On paper, it is utterly worthless really. BAP gives you the most effects already, if you need zoom use the advanced zoom module.

If the thing worked like a partial Targeting computer-like AURA (give everyone within 180m its bonuses, ECM disables these) it would be awesome thing indeed. This is assuming the bonuses were something more useful...

#9 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

If it gave me in-game VoIP, it would be worth it.

#10 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostAleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky, on 13 September 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

If it gave me in-game VoIP, it would be worth it.

I would get the "Team Speak" module instead.

#11 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

For now a fix would be to give the user a healthy number of extra module slots.

2-3 consumable

4 mech

5 weapons.

Or maybe something possibly OP like 5 consumables.

#12 Revener

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSvea Rike

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

View PostAce Selin, on 01 September 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

Why it doesn't work more closely aligned to how Clan targeting computers work is beyond me, then it would be usefull. For 3 tons I rather live without it for the current meagre benefits.

Because it is not a targeting computer, Inner Sphere do not get TC until 3062.

I use it on 1-2 mech though where I have left over tonnage.

Edited by Revener, 19 September 2014 - 07:05 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users