- - - - -

Enjoying My Jm6-S... Thinking Of Fb

31 replies to this topic

#1 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:13 PM

So I have been playing this whole week and loving this game... spent 50 bucks on MC.

I have a JM6-S with 2 AC5s and 4 ML, and it does fairly well - one game I got 900 damage.

I have not purchased anything else for it, other than Double heatsinks and endo steel - the basics.

I am wanting to try out dual AC10's or dual gauss, but I need a larger engine and some more money.

I am thinking of buying the Firebrand... comes with XL280 which is 5 million C-bills.. comes with decent looking loadout. I was thinking of keeping PPC's on there and adding dual AC10's if possible.

Is buying FB a good idea? I know the engine is worth it, as it is versatile. I am enjoying my JM6-S very much.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:21 PM

Getting the Firebrand is a fine idea, but know that getting that variant is a separate transaction from other considerations.

And you could try a 3xAC5 if not running an JM6-A; can give my build again here if asked.

As another example, if you like to try ER/PPCs or ER/LLs in the arms with the C-Bill boost than go ahead and get a Firebrand.

#3 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Yeah post the build, please. I do not have an A variant.

Also, what is a good mech to get from this sale? I'm thinking of one of the hunchbacks - any recommendations?

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostJamjor, on 22 August 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Yeah post the build, please. I do not have an A variant.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a029182031c637a
Testing for best is the best way to go.

Also, what is a good mech to get from this sale? I'm thinking of one of the hunchbacks - any recommendations?

From the sale: I'd go for Stalker. Avoid the 4N though, and you will be good to go for various build types.
Best are the 3F and 5M IMHO.

#5 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

View PostJamjor, on 22 August 2014 - 09:29 PM, said:

Also, what is a good mech to get from this sale?
  • Atlas AS7-D
  • Atlas AS7-K
  • Banshee BNC-3E
  • Blackjack BJ-1
  • Blackjack BJ-3
  • Cataphract CTF-3D
  • Firestarter FS9-H
  • Firestarter FS9-S
  • Griffin GRF-1N
  • JagerMech JM6-S
  • Jenner JR7-D
  • Jenner JR7-F
  • Raven RVN-3L
  • Shadow Hawk SHD-2H
  • Stalker STK-3F
  • Victor VTR-9B
  • Victor VTR-9K
  • Wolverine WVR-6R
Or, anything to get to 3 variants for leveling a mech you like. The Hunchback is an OK mech with many fun builds, but strictly inferior to 55 ton mediums due to lack of jump jets and lower armor.

Edited by Modo44, 22 August 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

The Jenners or Stalkers are good to have. I would not buy any more Jagers at this time because I guarantee all of them will be on sale for Davion weekend.

#7 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

But the Firebrand does not go on sale, does it?

So is the firebrand a good idea?

Or is there a better mech that I should spend 5000 MC on?

Edited by Jamjor, 22 August 2014 - 09:54 PM.

#8 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

I died 44 times yesterday in my Jager (did get the mech bay)
in for a penny in for a pound if you have one you might as well get three and get them into master

Thursday I had a disco and when I got back there was just me and another disco on my team.
I typed what happened and someone responded we started without you
I took off and for some reason they unnerfed my AC5's and AC2's and man that thing was a beast got three kills before the team got me.

my all around good setup is two AC5's and two AC2's and ams (got 1K damage with that setup)
my new death dealer is three AC2's and a LBX10

I started putting smaller xl's so I can carry more ammo

#9 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:11 PM

@Jamjor: You are correct FB will not be on sale. One Firebrand is worth sixteen mechbays. Think about that for a while.

#10 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:14 PM

What is a great value MC mech that is good in a mid range support role? Preferably coming with a good engine

#11 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

If you love Jagers, you'll LOVE the FB. It has all the advantages of a vanilla Yager, with the added bonus of high mounted arms for laser goodness.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:43 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 22 August 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

@Jamjor: You are correct FB will not be on sale. One Firebrand is worth sixteen mechbays. Think about that for a while.

It won't be on sale during the faction weekends, but it will be on sale at some point. I have two Firebrands, one bought at 35% off, the other 50% off. It'll be on sale again at some point. I don't buy hero mechs at full price any more (I might make an exception if we ever get Munin and it doesn't suck like Huginn)

#13 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 23 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

The Firebrand is the best Jager, in my opinion. But as someone who is a new player just like you (I've been playing for two months), I feel I should warn you about buying Hero mechs when they aren't on sale. First I bought the Firbrand, then it was on sale the next week. Then the bought the Golden Boy, and it went on sale the next week. Then I bought the Loup De Guerre.... and it literally went on sale the next week.

See how much MC I wasted? That said, I don't at all regret buying them when I did, because I wanted to play them at that very moment, and they also came with great XL engines which I've used in many other mechs.

Just some food for thought.

Edited by Kevjack, 23 August 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

View PostJamjor, on 22 August 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

all hero and champions go on sale from time to time, and typically for 50% off it they have been out a while.. But right before the last 3 weeks, there was a ton of hero sales,, I expect that there might be one more of these faction weekends with no hero sale.

So the Question is up to you.. Wait a while and see if it comes on sale... OR just buy it now, and know it is a good mech. Then again, if the mech you want doesn't go on sale soon.. you might have to wait a couple months. If ya don't mind waiting go for it.. either way you can't go wrong really.

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:36 PM

typically there is a 30-50% off sale of about half of the Hero Mechs once a month, also there are often unannounced sales of a single Mech at 50% of normal price, the unannounced sales only usually last a day

#16 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

FB is good and recommended but two AC 10 and two ppc dont fit tho. It barley fits on a cataphract. (phract is 5 tons heavier).

Why not ILYA? its better ^_^ Glorius 3xAC10 build. FB does AC40 tho, phracts dont.

Edited by Turist0AT, 23 August 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#17 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

View PostJamjor, on 22 August 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:

EVERY MECH in this game goes on sale at one time or another. The question is how long you will have to wait and is it worth waiting? It could be weeks, it could be months before they go on sale again. Personally, I'd want one decent hero mech to use for the 30% cbill boost for every day grinding and the Jagger is certainly a good mech.

#18 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:55 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 22 August 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

If you love Jagers, you'll LOVE the FB. It has all the advantages of a vanilla Yager, with the added bonus of high mounted arms for laser goodness.

That's exactly why i think the FB is underpowered compared to the JM6-S...energy instead of ballistics in the arms.
AC's are the most powerful weapons in the game and imo (and my wife's) the JM6-S with stock weapons, 255XL engine, Endo, and around 9tons of ammo is one of, if not the most powerful mech in the game (Pre-clans).
This has been my main mech for a long time. It just rips any other mech to pieces in seconds. The XL can be dangerous when fighting against competent players, but many players fall to pieces when their mech starts getting shredded. Assault mechs lose their ct very fast :ph34r:

#19 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:15 AM

If you really want to make your purchaced MC's pay out with excitement for you, never buy a single Hero mech without a sale. Simply consider it unavailable when it's not there. Most Hero mechs does not differ from their standard counterparts enough to really stress out the immediate possesion over the 50% additional cost. I haven't bought FB at all, just by this very reason - I haven't seen any need to replace -S variant ballistic slots for energy ones. This is also very true for Cockpit items, Camo Specs colors and GXP exchange. The only thing I feel worthy to purchase independently is Mech Bays and one-shot paint jobs, since those two doesn't seem to ever being on sales whatsoever.

I am also would not recommend taking any Hero mech without having their standard counterparts Elited, since you'd not get a full understanding of mech's dynamics until then. For example, you'd asked about a good mid-range support Hero, and I'd reply that it's the Flame (Dragon), but it is well might not work for you as long as you haven't got an idea of how to play a Dragon properly. Many Hero mechs also facilitate a short-range brawl style while their standard cousins actually much better at support fire (Blackjacks, Trebuchets, Quickdraws). I might as well recommend a Muromets, which I'm very fond of, but you personally should keep in mind it's lower placed arms, that are sometimes hard to properly benefit from, which is why, again, try to master standards before going for a Hero.

For JM6-S the best engines are XL-255 or XL-270. Both allow to mount 4xAC2, 2xAC2+2xAC5, 3xUAC5, 2xAC20 and 2xGR with sufficient ammo, which are most effective builds for Jagermechs in general, depending on a desired range. Difference between the two is just 1 ton, which makes XL270 slightly more mobile, but without any ML/SL as backup weapons in case of depleted ammo.

Edited by DivineEvil, 24 August 2014 - 03:22 AM.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

View PostJamjor, on 22 August 2014 - 09:13 PM, said:

I am thinking of buying the Firebrand... comes with XL280 which is 5 million C-bills.. comes with decent looking loadout. I was thinking of keeping PPC's on there and adding dual AC10's if possible.

you know, i was pondering this earlier, and wondered if ya decided to pull the trigger. Ya said ya bought 50 bucks worth of MC, and you are just starting out.. to me that is like buying a new game, so why not get some enjoyment out of it. Right now, you really need to grind a lot of C-bills, and the engine, and load out on that mech are darn nice and ike you said it does have that engine which is awesome and used in tons of builds.

It reminds me of back last winter when i restarted playing again around November. I got back into the game and decided to try heavies. I bought 3 Cataphracts, then picked up the llya. It is considered one of the better heroes due to the load outs it can run, and i will say it is a total blast of a mech. The firebrand is rated pretty high between people that enjoy Jagers, and heavies in general. I had a blast for about 3 months playing them, and grinded a good about of C-bills with the Hero bonus, Even bought a few Premium pass day and weekend passes for a couple times when i knew i had all day to make some cash. Really does help out for the casual player that can't play often.

Splurg a little, then save the rest of you MC for something a bit down the road. While you are at it maybe grab a few standard color paints, or a one time use Cameo for your Stock mech. You'd spend a bit under half your MC, but with the C-bill boost from the Hero, and your new styling looks, you might just enjoy yourself that much more :)

Paints also go on sale from time to time, and you can use C-bills to buy some Basic colors as well. The premium paints are the highest priced, and have some of the coolest colors so choose wisely there,, but standard also has some nice stuff too. It really just depends on your taste. there are tons of colors, so it takes a good long while for them to cycle through the 50% of sales and they do cost a bit, but hey, ya need a little style right?

Paints you unlock can be used for all mechs, Cameo For the one time use, that is exactly what it sounds like (though not sure if it means just one mech, or you can camo all mechs of that type once, maybe some one else does) But i do know the other one lets you do all, and switch as often as you like but those are more expensive.

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 August 2014 - 08:34 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users