Legged Targets

9 replies to this topic

#1 Bigbacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

this is for new players and veterans alike.

If you see a mech that is missing a leg...shoot the other leg unless some other major part of it is ready to pop...

seeing so much of a mech being legged but having most of its other armor and multiple mechs will circle it and none of them will fire at the other leg.

#2 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Amen and amen.

I was in a game the other night where I legged a DWF with one volley and his other leg was exposed and yellow. Three teammates kept beating on his fully armored torso while my lasers cycled and I burned off the other leg.

#3 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

True in theory.. But it really does depend on what the other parts look like.. If it's a legged assault, and everything else is full armor.. I might run... Or maneuver behind and pound on back armor.. Or others take off arms and such.. to me, a better position and then rethink is always the best idea first..

sometimes a legged mech means i can leave it be, and run off and help others, come back latter while it is limping along doing nothing. Anything that helps the team win right?

that said, if the other leg is yellow or red.. Well certainly ^_^

Edited by JC Daxion, 23 August 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:36 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 23 August 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

True in theory.. But it really does depend on what the other parts look like.. If it's a legged assault, and everything else is full armor.. I might run... Or maneuver behind and pound on back armor.. Or others take off arms and such.. to me, a better position and then rethink is always the best idea first..

sometimes a legged mech means i can leave it be, and run off and help others, come back latter while it is limping along doing nothing. Anything that helps the team win right?

that said, if the other leg is yellow or red.. Well certainly :ph34r:

On several occasions on Canyon Network I have been legged in a Spider then dropped down into the canyon, used the canyon wall as cover to get behind the Mech that legged me and jumped up to kill it with lasers and machine guns.

The moral of this story is even a legged light can still be dangerous. The only time I will ignore a damaged enemy is if it has no weapons left and the game mode is not conquest

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 23 August 2014 - 10:36 PM, said:

On several occasions on Canyon Network I have been legged in a Spider then dropped down into the canyon, used the canyon wall as cover to get behind the Mech that legged me and jumped up to kill it with lasers and machine guns.

The moral of this story is even a legged light can still be dangerous. The only time I will ignore a damaged enemy is if it has no weapons left and the game mode is not conquest

very true.. But i was thinking more like a heavy or something on alpine, or tourmline, when limping across the map would take them longer than the match has left... :D

But yea,, I will never understand why people go after weaponless mechs outside of one with EMC on assault, or skirmish while much more dangerous targets exist.

#6 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

It should be slightly different in my opinion. If you have the coice between taking the Leg and a target that isn't the CT, you should almost always go for the leg first, as that will severely decrease the survivability and the ability to migitate damage from other components through movement.

If you manage to leg someone, it's much easier to circle around and take shots at their back armor or to move out of their effective weapon convergence. There are also some cases where it's more effetive to cripple a 'Mech that is otherwise fairly unscathed and them abandoning them to strike at targets of higher priority, as the 'Mech will have a hard time catching up with the the battle.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:50 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM, said:

But yea,, I will never understand why people go after weaponless mechs outside of one with EMC on assault, or skirmish while much more dangerous targets exist.

it is for stats

begin rant, sorry

unfortunately PGI decided to let people see their Kill:Death Ratio and some people are under the misguided impression that it is an indication of how well they are playing.

many times in a Light I have removed all the weapons from e.g. an Atlas or Stalker and left it far away from the rest of the enemy team, I could have killed it but the Mech is out of the match, it is completely useless and it would take time to finish it off, and we are down on numbers so I leave it to help with another Mech that was still a threat. but someone saw that I had not killed the Mech half way across the map so ran away from the rest of the team (reducing our chance of victory) to clam the "free" kill, this is the only situation I would classify as kill stealing

On many occasions I have been instrumental it winning the match for my team without causing much damage or any kills, drawing the enemy into a trap, locating the enemy, providing ECM cover, providing UAV/TAG/Narc for LRM boats, distracting the enemy so they try to kill you up while your team walk up and rips them apart from behind, these are all tasks that can get your team a win without you doing any damage or getting kills, yet you still get people who think you are useless to the team unless you get 500+ damage and at least 1 kill, and that every reasonable player should have at least 3.0 KDR (mine is about 0.5) I really wish PGI would put in decent rewards for scouting and similar Light/Medium Mech roles, but that does not seem to be coming any time soon

end rant

#8 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

I feel your pain Rogue. I was recently in a match in my Spider on Alpine and someone driving a Dire Whale started yelling at me in chat to get back and provide ECM cover for the group. In the meantime, while I was scouting the enemy's position I not only locked targets for my lrms, but also dropped a UAV and an artie strike. Still the assault driver kept calling me useless and a noob. Funny thing is we had two ECM Kit Foxes on our team who were circling around the assaults providing ECM cover yet I got more damage in a 5D with 3 mplas than the guy in the Dire Wolf who was yelling at me.

Still, I was supposed to cut my speed by more than 100 kph to keep the Dire Wolf happy.

#9 TrunksMaxamillan

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvannia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 24 August 2014 - 10:50 AM, said:

it is for stats

begin rant, sorry

unfortunately PGI decided to let people see their Kill:Death Ratio and some people are under the misguided impression that it is an indication of how well they are playing.

many times in a Light I have removed all the weapons from e.g. an Atlas or Stalker and left it far away from the rest of the enemy team, I could have killed it but the Mech is out of the match, it is completely useless and it would take time to finish it off, and we are down on numbers so I leave it to help with another Mech that was still a threat. but someone saw that I had not killed the Mech half way across the map so ran away from the rest of the team (reducing our chance of victory) to clam the "free" kill, this is the only situation I would classify as kill stealing

On many occasions I have been instrumental it winning the match for my team without causing much damage or any kills, drawing the enemy into a trap, locating the enemy, providing ECM cover, providing UAV/TAG/Narc for LRM boats, distracting the enemy so they try to kill you up while your team walk up and rips them apart from behind, these are all tasks that can get your team a win without you doing any damage or getting kills, yet you still get people who think you are useless to the team unless you get 500+ damage and at least 1 kill, and that every reasonable player should have at least 3.0 KDR (mine is about 0.5) I really wish PGI would put in decent rewards for scouting and similar Light/Medium Mech roles, but that does not seem to be coming any time soon

end rant

Nothing wrong with providing UAV and targeting support. For the most part, I find that way more useful then ECM cover. Most maps have at least enough cover to duck under until a lock is provided. Also many matches I play in have an Atlas D-DC in it, so I usually stick with the slower ecm mechs for cover.

#10 PocketAces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 175 posts
  • LocationEverywhere yet nowhere

Posted 03 September 2014 - 07:07 AM

Most people don't target therefore don't realize that it is legged or the other leg is damaged, so press "R" to lock your targets people.

With the intro of Clan mechs always aim center mass, we have gotten into a habit with IS to aim for side torso hoping for an XL or possible ammo explosion, but Clan can still operate with one torso missing, so aim center mass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users