#681 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:14 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 30 August 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

It's easy to track and stop. Would more appreciate some response from PGI and clarification but I understand it involves several people before it can happen though so it wont happen fast.

Really? Paul said it's not a punishable exploit.

Easy to track? It can happen completely at random. That means false positives.

You know what, you're just stupid. I'm done with you.

#682 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:27 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 30 August 2014 - 07:14 PM, said:

Really? Paul said it's not a punishable exploit.

Easy to track? It can happen completely at random. That means false positives.

You know what, you're just stupid. I'm done with you.

Simply stopping folks in the same unit from getting put into the same game effectively stops it, and eliminates the need to try and worry about punishing anyone.

#683 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:30 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 07:27 PM, said:

Simply stopping folks in the same unit from getting put into the same game effectively stops it, and eliminates the need to try and worry about punishing anyone.

And IF I am not ON comms when another Lawman drops and we are on the same team? We do have some Lawmen who are solo dropping like me.

#684 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 August 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

And IF I am not ON comms when another Lawman drops and we are on the same team? We do have some Lawmen who are solo dropping like me.

It wouldn't put you on the same team. You wouldn't mind, since you weren't actually intentionally trying to sync drop.

So simply having the matchmaker not put folks that are in the same unit into the same game really wouldn't hurt anything.

#685 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 07:38 PM, said:

It wouldn't put you on the same team. You wouldn't mind, since you weren't actually intentionally trying to sync drop.

So simply having the matchmaker not put folks that are in the same unit into the same game really wouldn't hurt anything.

You cannot make that assumption Roland. If we have Like Elo's we could and should be allowed to drop together on comms or not. No I do NOT want forced solo limits When I PUG. Gimme those small groups to fight against. When I wanna drop with the Law we will drop in the group Que.

#686 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:48 PM

View PostHoax415, on 30 August 2014 - 05:17 PM, said:

I asked these questions in the thread that vanished that had the SS of I believe 12 Seraphim pilots split 5vs7.
-Do you know how many people they were dropping with? Could be they had too many to fit in one group and this was a fair way for them all to RNG a chance to play together.
-What is the problem? The game ended close (it was better than 5 kills for losing team) the team with more Seraphim lost) so their presence did not destroy the quality of the match.
-Does anyone think they were throwing the match to give one group wins? I haven't heard that allegation. I'm sure 100% of people agree if you are intentionally sabotaging your team that is bs. But that wasn't happening here.
-Does anyone think that they were worse teammates or trying less hard than normal randomly assigned solo pug players would? Why do we think that?

I play a lot of solo and I've maybe seen 5 sync drops and none with groups as big and noticeable as that screenshot so they not have even been sync drops. I've never felt like people were throwing the match. In fact sync droppers are less likely to be afk or wander off by themselves or run their light suicide into the enemy team at minute 1 or 2 I'd imagine.

So please explain. If they are trying to win, even against themselves and being good teammates. And MM is only putting them in your game because they are of your elo. What exactly is the 30 pages of problem here?

The only legit issue I can think of is group queue players being mad that people aren't in their queue to fight that might be otherwise. If I'm playing solo by definition I don't care who my teammates or enemies are. I'm focused on myself and trying to get wins. Why would I be so mad if people sync drop? I'm not seeing it.

They cannot trick MM into putting them all on one team and they cannot trick MM into putting them at an elo they shouldn't be at. So where is all the fuss.

The same issue that created the solo queue to begin with - groups have an advantage.

Also, are you saying that when they drop on opposite teams nobody in chat says 'LOL. Guys bragging about the XL in his Stalker' or 'UGH, Alpha decided to stand in B4. I hope you enjoy killing them' or other info?

Never? Never happens?

Plus what you've really got at that point is a group wanting to play with pugs as filler. The idea that when I play solo I don't care who is on either team is disingenuous; I think most players care. They want to win but they want to win because in an otherwise even match they did well. Sync-dropping groups skews that equation significantly.

We have a solo queue because the bulk of players (I believe they said it was around 70%) drop solo most the time and that the 30% who dropped in groups won significantly more often from being in group. Arguments of 'no no, it's not an advantage to be in group' which are then followed by 'Group queue is no fun because good groups/bigger groups are SO MUCH BETTER'...

2 is, if I understand correctly, bigger than 1. The quote that everyone has been mining from was a larger post discussing how sync dropping was uncool but that they were not punishing people over it because there were no other options for them but that the solution to this was MM phase 3.

We went through 3 and are now in 4. There are options to drop in larger groups and no justification aside from playing as a group against solos vs playing in a group against other groups.

We went through this round of excuses a few times. It led to the 8man queue (we only sync drop because because we can't play in bigger groups! We don't want to be in your pug queue!).... which lasted until people realized that playing in a group in a group queue wasn't an advantage, then it was back to sync-dropping in pug queue. (too hard to get 8 people on at once!)

Now we've got a group queue PLUS private and premium private matches.... and....

People still sync drop, coming up with all new and even more flimsy excuses (group queue is too hard, private matches are too hard....

The only thing, apparently, that isn't too hard is syncing into a group to play against solo players who had the option to play with/against other groups and opted out, in other to play with and against other solos.

Is it an issue? Of course it is. It's the same issue it's always been. The big problem now is that there absolutely are no real excuses left; all we've got left syncing are the people who only have fun when they've got an advantage (wonky contests that are only available in solo queue aside).

We had Elo before with 2-4s in the pug queue. They were pulled out only to the group queue... why? Population and the first thing people did was break up into groups of 4 to avoid having to play other groups. Since it was only 1 group per side and they were all 2-4, dropping a 4man in the pug queue was maximum advantage. Worst case was another 4man on the other side.

So that's the stupid irony of it all. You've got people who feel like they can't 'catch a break' in the Group Queue because the Group Queue has bigger groups than them and thus they're playing at a disadvantage (which they're not, not more so than anyone else but whatever) so what do they do?

Sync-drop in the solo queue so that they are... way more likely to be in a group vs solo players, so that the other guy is playing at a disadvantage.

They are exactly the same problem as the people they are complaining about in the group queue only those groups in the group queue are at least playing on a level field where a sync-dropper is exploiting the MM to get an advantage that is only available to other sync-droppers.

I get that PGI has had a busy week and that's fine. We'll see if anything comes up by Monday.

Edited by MischiefSC, 30 August 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#687 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 August 2014 - 07:43 PM, said:

You cannot make that assumption Roland. If we have Like Elo's we could and should be allowed to drop together on comms or not. No I do NOT want forced solo limits When I PUG. Gimme those small groups to fight against. When I wanna drop with the Law we will drop in the group Que.

Why should you be allowed to drop together, when dropping solo? What's the point?
You're dropping solo... That means you can't guarantee who is going to be in the game you join.
It's ridiculous that you think you should be able to drop solo, and expect to play with guys from your unit... If you want to play with them, then you are able to form a group.

That's the point of groups.

#688 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 07:49 PM, said:

Why should you be allowed to drop together, when dropping solo? What's the point?
You're dropping solo... That means you can't guarantee who is going to be in the game you join.
It's ridiculous that you think you should be able to drop solo, and expect to play with guys from your unit... If you want to play with them, then you are able to form a group.

That's the point of groups.

We should be allowed to drop together cause we had not tried to drop together, it just happened. If I am dropping Solo I am accepting the 11 other RANDOM team mates. With all the perks and faults that come with it. So if a Lawman is in my PUG drop and We are not on comms together whats the difference between us being team mates and me and Bishop dropping together?

#689 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:02 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 August 2014 - 07:55 PM, said:

We should be allowed to drop together cause we had not tried to drop together, it just happened.

But since you didn't try to drop together, you won't be harmed by not dropping together.

It's kind of ridiculous of you to complain that you should be allowed to do things that you don't want, and aren't trying to do.

By disallowing it, you lose nothing, and the solo queue ends up not having to deal with folks who want to sync drop.

#690 p4r4g0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

So the solution is to add another filter to the matchmaker that prevents those with same unit tags ever being in the same solo match which then could lead to complaints about long waiting times thus requiring PGI to further reduce the time delay for the safety valves to kick in thus resulting in further complaints about imbalanced matches?

And people get indignant when Niko mentions that PGI staff laugh themselves silly at facepalm worthy suggestions.

On another note, please stop going round and round repeating essentially the same comments ad nauseam. If you guys want to keep this topic current, then just post NEW suggestions for discussion instead of reheated leftovers from the day before.

#691 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 08:02 PM, said:

But since you didn't try to drop together, you won't be harmed by not dropping together.

It's kind of ridiculous of you to complain that you should be allowed to do things that you don't want, and aren't trying to do.

By disallowing it, you lose nothing, and the solo queue ends up not having to deal with folks who want to sync drop.

You miss the point, If the Game puts us together, then we play together. I want More options not less! Nope I would happily have a PUGging Lawman on my team any day. I would hate to lose that random option.

#692 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 30 August 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

So the solution is to add another filter to the matchmaker that prevents those with same unit tags ever being in the same solo match which then could lead to complaints about long waiting times thus requiring PGI to further reduce the time delay for the safety valves to kick in thus resulting in further complaints about imbalanced matches?

If such a filter would have an impact on search times, that would suggest that folks were sync dropping into essentially every game.

Either sync dropping is so rampant as to be a massive problem affecting all solo players and thus requires a solution, or it's a problem that affects a fairly small number of games and can be trivially dealt with and eliminated without negatively impacting anyone (except for folks who actually want to sync drop to gain an advantage over solo players).

You can't have it both ways... You can't simultaneously say that it's not a common problem, and then say that preventing it would create an increase in search times.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 30 August 2014 - 08:12 PM, said:

You miss the point, If the Game puts us together, then we play together. I want More options not less! Nope I would happily have a PUGging Lawman on my team any day. I would hate to lose that random option.

It's not an option.

The actual OPTION you have is that you are able to form a team with him, and play.

That's the point of the group queue.

#693 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:25 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

If such a filter would have an impact on search times, that would suggest that folks were sync dropping into essentially every game.

Either sync dropping is so rampant as to be a massive problem affecting all solo players and thus requires a solution, or it's a problem that affects a fairly small number of games and can be trivially dealt with and eliminated without negatively impacting anyone (except for folks who actually want to sync drop to gain an advantage over solo players).

You can't have it both ways... You can't simultaneously say that it's not a common problem, and then say that preventing it would create an increase in search times.

It's not an option.

The actual OPTION you have is that you are able to form a team with him, and play.

That's the point of the group queue.

And the Point of the PUG que is to put 12 random players together no matter who they are. Without us trying to we can drop together no matter how much you don't like it. We Got the Luck of the Draw. Guess you are against me dropping with Bishop Steiner, Goose, and anyone else I have been on comms with? Cause you know, we have been on Comms together before.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 30 August 2014 - 08:26 PM.

#694 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

-snip-

And this is where the Mark Twain quote "To a guy with a hammer, everything looks like a nail" comes to mind. Have you considered that there is a high probability that a substantial number of the player base may eventually join units and by default be playing at the same times BUT are dropping solo for reasons other than sync dropping?

Unless a lot of small units pop up, I'm guessing that it will be quite common to see multiple players with the same tags on either or both sides of a solo drop moving forward.

Edited to correct quote and insert source

Edited by p4r4g0n, 30 August 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#695 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:28 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 30 August 2014 - 08:27 PM, said:

And this is where the quote "When you're a hammer, everything else is a nail" comes to mind. Have you considered that there is a high probability that a substantial number of the player base may eventually join units and by default be playing at the same times BUT are dropping solo for reasons other than sync dropping?

Unless a lot of small units pop up, I'm guessing that it will be quite common to see multiple players with the same tags on either or both sides of a solo drop moving forward.

No, this doesn't seem to be the case.

#696 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Yet .... early days still far as units are concerned.

#697 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:35 PM

View Postp4r4g0n, on 30 August 2014 - 08:33 PM, said:

Yet .... early days still far as units are concerned.

If you are in a unit, and your guys are online... then you drop with your guys.

That's kind of the point of being in a unit.

#698 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostRoland, on 30 August 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

If you are in a unit, and your guys are online... then you drop with your guys.

That's kind of the point of being in a unit.

And what about guys NOT in our group? I have dropped with plenty of players on Comms. DaZur, Bishop Steiner, Goose... These are folks I have grouped with many times. Should I never be allowed to drop with my friends ever again in PUG?

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 30 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#699 p4r4g0n

• Knight Errant
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:39 PM

Not when I'm grinding a mech or for xp / c-bills, in the middle of cooking a meal, may have to run off to do an errand soon, just not in the mood and God forbid that I would actually like to play a few casual matches ... and oh yeah, waiting for a slot to open in the group (thank you PGI for no 11 man groups <sarcasm>).

With all due respect Roland, your focus on this issue seem a little "pin-point" which is not really conducive to constructive discussion.

Edited by p4r4g0n, 30 August 2014 - 08:40 PM.

#700 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Could block people in the same group from dropping together - could simply check to see if two people have been in the same match in the last 3 matches and if so, whichever one has been waiting the shortest gets pushed to the next match (preventing anyone from lagging out in the queue) - if Elo and matchmaking allows. Obviously if someone hits whatever the tolerances for wait times and Elo matching gets dropped together.

There are a slew of fixes that would involve minimal effort to implement.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users