I'm In Misery! (Stalker Choices)

28 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

After last weeks, Buy an atlas decision, with a new bay again, and a great C-bill boost, i thought why not get 2 more stalkers to go with the misery i bought a month back. I am having a really had time trying to decide, as i have 4 choices, and 2 slots.... My pro's and con's...

3H, the one i thought most about and most wanted but now it is time to pull the trigger, It reminds me of my catapult on steroids. Should work like a charm.. the con, It seems like a catapult on steroids.. (does that make it just to similar. I do like my mechs to have a different feel when i play another class.. But my Cat with LRM30, Tag + 3MPLs is a slower but deadly beast, does that make it just to stalkerish and would take away any reason to play my Cat again? Though i kinda like the idea of LRM30+SRM12 with energy back-up)

5S, I have a two mechs with dual AMS , the atlas, and thunderbolt, While i have only really used the TB, it does seem to work pretty darn nice. But this one looks to be more geared to more up close, so would the AMS help as much as i think or is dual AMS even more helpful in an assault? The con, It basically looks like the 3F, with less twist, and an extra AMS) Side bonus, It comes with an XL-255 which i can use in a few builds and a 50% off XL is always a great thing!

5M, this one i never even considered before this weekend to be honest, But after playing around with smurfy, the idea of a Splat stalker (the one catapult A6 i don't have), Or a Energy/streak boat with a Narc sounds really appealing, it can also zombie.. (con.. i can zombie with the misery, but outside of that i can't really think of any.)

3f, The stalker everyone recommends because of the torso twist. (the con, well if i get the 5S it does seem kinda redundant, the twist is only an extra 15 degrees, But not sure how that really plays out in the end in practical game play.. My guess it helps with lights..

My gut is saying S&M, But at the same time the H is something i think i really will like.. Me thinks i need to post some time in my misery before i really make the final choices.. But as always.. You guys are so great at giving Pro's and con's and helping me pick winners in the past, I thought i would ask again!

Darn you PGI you made me open my wallet with all your bonus C-bills and sales to buy more bays! I see what you did now.. and THANKS!!!!!

#2 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

The 3F is the only Stalker you need. It is highly recommended for a reason.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

3H was my first and admittedly favorite. With so few hardpoints to fill it was quite leisurely easy to rack in the big weapons and still feel like I met the mech's potential.
Posted Image
Not even basics unlocked yet as it was still new. 2 LPL and 2 SRM-2s with 1 ton of ammo, back when LPLs had 11 heat each and 9 (maybe 10 damage) and PPCs were only 8 heat for some screwed up reason (why were LPLs ever 11 heat? Their canon value is 10 just like regular PPCs). So many assaults on the other team. So many kills. 3H is also the only one that can do an LRM-40 (two 20s) in a single volley.

The 3F is the fan-favorite, it has 6 energy hardpoints + a larger twist. What was David thinking?

The 5 series is very good either way.

The 4N is my favorite, I based my Timber Wolf design after my rig for it. LRM-20 + 2 SRM-6s + lasers. Sadly no one likes it.

Edited by Koniving, 24 August 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#4 Just wanna play

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationInside the Womb of a Great Turtle

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

lol kon why not just put that exact 4n build on the 3F?

#5 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

JC,

I kept the 3F and the 5S. If you want a laser boat, then I would go 3F for the torso twist, to keep on target with those lasers a bit easier. For an LRM build, really I don't think the torso twist matters at all. A "Splat Stalker" with SRM's, maybe the torso twist would be needed? I've not tried an all SRM build on a Stalker myself. My 3F is set up 2/2/2, LL's, ML's and PPC's, with a pair of SRM6's. My 5S is set up LRM50 (2x15's and 2x10's), 2 ML's and 2 MPL's in arms. Plus 2xAMS. I do run a TAG and Artemis on the -S.

I run max armor, biased to front, and I never run an XL. Even I can take out the side torso on a Stalker, they are so huge and unprotected...

Of course, since you're now flush with MC, just buy more mechbays and buy one of each Stalker...

:D

#6 Sir DeathsHead

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTn

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

3f is the way to go. 6 med, 3 srm6

Posted Image

#7 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

View PostOldOrgandonor, on 24 August 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Of course, since you're now flush with MC, just buy more mechbays and buy one of each Stalker...

:D

hehe, not really flush, I am just gonna buy the the 7 dollar package.. My weeks spending money consists of 17 bucks till next Tuesday.. I decided to be broke and get a pizza and some mech bays.. :angry: After all a guy has to stay feed if he plans on getting 4 mechs today.. the goal is 2 Stalkers, The cicada 3C and 2A with the possibly of tossing in a Commando 2B for good measure. 2 sets of assaults/lights, along with a set of mediums to get to master should keep me busy for the next bunch of months to say the least...

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 August 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#8 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

5S(dual ams) and 5M(zombie stalker) are my favorites. Used to whales so i dont need dat extra mobility of 3F

Edited by Turist0AT, 24 August 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#9 n r g

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 August 2014 - 10:27 AM, said:

After last weeks, Buy an atlas decision, with a new bay again, and a great C-bill boost, i thought why not get 2 more stalkers to go with the misery i bought a month back. I am having a really had time trying to decide, as i have 4 choices, and 2 slots.... My pro's and con's...

3H, the one i thought most about and most wanted but now it is time to pull the trigger, It reminds me of my catapult on steroids. Should work like a charm.. the con, It seems like a catapult on steroids.. (does that make it just to similar. I do like my mechs to have a different feel when i play another class.. But my Cat with LRM30, Tag + 3MPLs is a slower but deadly beast, does that make it just to stalkerish and would take away any reason to play my Cat again? Though i kinda like the idea of LRM30+SRM12 with energy back-up)

5S, I have a two mechs with dual AMS , the atlas, and thunderbolt, While i have only really used the TB, it does seem to work pretty darn nice. But this one looks to be more geared to more up close, so would the AMS help as much as i think or is dual AMS even more helpful in an assault? The con, It basically looks like the 3F, with less twist, and an extra AMS) Side bonus, It comes with an XL-255 which i can use in a few builds and a 50% off XL is always a great thing!

5M, this one i never even considered before this weekend to be honest, But after playing around with smurfy, the idea of a Splat stalker (the one catapult A6 i don't have), Or a Energy/streak boat with a Narc sounds really appealing, it can also zombie.. (con.. i can zombie with the misery, but outside of that i can't really think of any.)

3f, The stalker everyone recommends because of the torso twist. (the con, well if i get the 5S it does seem kinda redundant, the twist is only an extra 15 degrees, But not sure how that really plays out in the end in practical game play.. My guess it helps with lights..

My gut is saying S&M, But at the same time the H is something i think i really will like.. Me thinks i need to post some time in my misery before i really make the final choices.. But as always.. You guys are so great at giving Pro's and con's and helping me pick winners in the past, I thought i would ask again!

Darn you PGI you made me open my wallet with all your bonus C-bills and sales to buy more bays! I see what you did now.. and THANKS!!!!!

3F for lasers, misery for a mix of energy/ballistics.

#10 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 05:00 AM

i really like the 5m for the zombie its really useful

but the torso twist of the 3F is just too valuable, its just enough to turn and shoot back at someone while your moving away from them

the dream stalker would be bright pink with 5m zombie 3f twist and misery ballistic hp *drool*

#11 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

Its funny in a way, the things that make your dream stalker are all the unstalker like things XD

#12 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:28 PM

well in case anyone cares.. I decided to go with the 3F, and the 5M.. Grabbed my 2 cicada's and last atlas.. Now to find builds for 9 mechs, and try to decide which one i should level this week while i have premium time from the event.. :D

I have been playing mediums as of late, so maybe the cicada should be next.. Besides i really want to try that ECM mech.. But something about the assaults is calling me... Maybe it will be stalker time!

But for those assault experts, which do you think is better for a first timer? atlas or stalker? I only have STD 275, 300, and 320 engines for the time being as well.. those might lean towards stalker yes?

#13 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

Play with brain and Stalker will be your money machine. Use lower speed engine, put more weapons and ammo and good luck.

#14 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:03 AM

The 3H is indeed a Catapult on Steroids. My only modifications to it were DHS, AMS and a BAP, plus 2 Tons of LRM ammo. It has a very different trigger discipline than a traditional LRM boat, but I really enjoy using it to properly annihilate priority targets and surprise any 'Mech thinking it an easy kill to be greeted by 4 MLs and 2 SRM6s.

I am running the 5S in a 3F rollback configuration (SSRM2s instead of SRM6s to save some tonnage) - STD300, Endo Steel, dual AMS. It's tough to kill, flexible in combat, has solid heat management (though it does run with 5 weapon groups) and can fight at any given range. It's one of the best fire support 'Mechs available.

I don't really have experience with the 5M, but I feel that it's lacking as a Missile boat, despite having one more hardpoint than the 3H, due to its sub-optimal tube counts. That's all I feel comfortable saying about it, though.

The real dilemma is that with the 5S, having a 3F often feels redundant and vice versa. The 4N was cute before DHS and XL engines were a thing, but nowadays it's unfortunately generally not advisable to ever pick one above the other two.

if you like running your Stalkers, you might want to invest into Misery, as it is a real game-changer for the chassis and feels like a completely new 'Mech, while retaining all the advantages of the Stalker chassis.

EDIT: I'm a bit late it seems.

The Stalker is generally the most forgiving Assault 'Mech, but it is also one designed most towards front line fire support. Atlas is to some the least forgiving Assault, due to being very easy to spot and often a popular target, others will likely point out the Awsome is still worse, which doesn't really help the Atlas though.

Stalkers run well with a STD300 (they cap out at 310) or the stock 255. Even though they are comparatively slow, they feel surprisingly nimble for their size and a STD 300 makes the Stalker very capable of efficient relocating in a fire support role. The limited twist range can be an issue sometimes though.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 26 August 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#15 Afro Samurai

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

I used to have 3 Stalkers: 3H, 3F, 5M. After mastering them, I kept only 3F and 5M.

3H was nice but Awesome is better option for LRM assault (in my opinion).

My 3F and 5M are energy boats, I use 5M more because of zombie potential, Stalker's CT has a lot of armor, I love that I can still contribute with 1 LPL even after losing both side torsos.

#16 ExoForce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 775 posts
  • LocationFields of the Nephilim

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:34 AM

Try 5M with 5 x LRM 10. Funny build but ridiculous results with non stop chain-fire. Ridiculous damage...

#17 Draven Darkshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:08 AM

i have the 3f and the 5m, i sold one of my other variants for mech bay space for my atlas mastery path
they've been fairly reliable for lrm boating / energy / ppc builds and i have played with my buddy's awesome 8t which i tried erll and lrms it seems less reliable plus seem to get pointed out easier then my stalkers especially in forest colony which can be a pain in the butt

though i found that my atlas ddc / d and even my rs (which will be on the next chopping block when the timberwolf comes out for cbills) seems to be a bit more versatile then my stalkers in the sense that ballistic weapons can really pump some nice dps rather then my laser setups on the stalker but arms and torso have a higher placement for weapons for arc fire then the atlas.

ddc mainly was more useful because of the ecm i found that there is more action then my stalkers mainly because i could move in closer under my own ecm cover and the 2 ballistic slots i mounted lb10x2 on my d, uac5x2 on my ddc and only an ac20 on my rs because it had only 1 ballistic slot

the xl engines on either one is and always will be a bad idea even as an lrm boat on the stalker you pretty much put yourself in a corner extremely vulnerable state for just a few more tonnage which isn't really worth it when you go 1 on 1 your survival goes down to 33% rather then 66% because either left or right torso becomes bigger liability to engine destruction.

most of the stalkers except for the N variant (avoid it like the plague) can do what you want, and then it boils down to heat management and style of playing.

#18 Just wanna play

• 1,520 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

I personally mostly run stock builds on stalkers actually, sure just install doubles and add a bunch of those but thats usually it, they have great versatile stock load outs

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Should i be using Endo on stalkers Or assaults in general? I have read a lot of people don't for the space.. I guess for now i will just bump up to Doubles, and go from there. As it is they all hold more weapons than anything i have ever played

So i guess it is Stalker time! Now to fire up MWO and dive into the mech lab.. and hope i am not to inept with assaults :)

thanks again guys, you been great! I'll post some builds i have been using after i play around a bit

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#20 Hell ya

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostSir DeathsHead, on 24 August 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

3f is the way to go. 6 med, 3 srm6

Posted Image

amazing that someone with a ping of close 250 did 500 and something damage and one kill!
But a good job with the 3f! Like it aswell! :-)
Right now i would recommend the one with the two ams aswell. he has good balanced hardpoints, not such a nice torso twist but a good protection against lurms. not neglectable with the meta we got right now!

Edited by Hell ya, 26 August 2014 - 03:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users