I'm In Misery! (Stalker Choices)

28 replies to this topic

#21 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Having fun with playing with builds.. I must say, it runs hot! Skipping endo for now, want to just run with doubles, and stuffing a 275 STD in there as well and it is still slower than a turtle.

just for the record,, I think this could be qualified as Cruel and unusual punishment.. Your honor in light while i agree what my client has done in the past.. making him play mech warrior with a 103 KPH wolverine with 120 degrees of twist.... To a 53 KPH stalker with 60 is just wrong.... No one should be subject to that! :)

*note to self, assaults draw tons of fire! I don't think i ever had 5+ mechs attacking me before unless i was the only one left.. I think i almost feel bad for the times i ganked a assault with 4 friends.. Looks like pay back is a <bleep>

#22 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

Not so much on topic. Best Misery I have seen was piloted by a user named Spooooky, had orange Xmas lights, hanging jack-o-lantern and a mounted one as well. I do not remember what he was running, but the running gag was good.

#23 ShinobiHunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 August 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

Having fun with playing with builds.. I must say, it runs hot! Skipping endo for now, want to just run with doubles, and stuffing a 275 STD in there as well and it is still slower than a turtle.

just for the record,, I think this could be qualified as Cruel and unusual punishment.. Your honor in light while i agree what my client has done in the past.. making him play mech warrior with a 103 KPH wolverine with 120 degrees of twist.... To a 53 KPH stalker with 60 is just wrong.... No one should be subject to that! :P

*note to self, assaults draw tons of fire! I don't think i ever had 5+ mechs attacking me before unless i was the only one left.. I think i almost feel bad for the times i ganked a assault with 4 friends.. Looks like pay back is a <bleep>

I'm in the same boat as you it would seem. I had been leveling Wolverines (97 kph) and picked up a Stalker during the sale. What a change of pace lol.

#24 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

I do not own the -4N, The -3H is among the very best missile boats. It has the tonnage to mount two 5s and two 20s, so it can throw a blob of 50 missiles. Large blobs of missiles get more past AMS, as too many show up at once for effective counter fire. A -3H can land effective salvos on a triple AMS Kit Fox. There are mechs with more tubes, but maxing the tube limits in a Catapult or Jager restricts the amount of ammo you can bring, and even the Awesome has trouble getting sixty tubes and one ton of ammo per five tubes of launcher. The STK-3H (if you accept a 300XL) can mount 50 tubes, ten tons of ammo, and Artemis.

The -5S, -3F and -5M all make decent missile boats. They also make good brawlers. Pack them with medium lasers, SRMs and DHS, propelled by a STD 275-300 engine. As you run out of crit slots, before you run out of tonnage, add a large laser, or two, to start the fight and chase after people fleeing from you (you do not fire large lasers at targets within 270m, you have enough heat issues). Losing a side torso in a Stalker is inconvenient, but remember that you lost half of your weapons, but only a quarter of your heat sinks, so your sustained DPS does not change that much. The -5M made the splatcats cry, as they had almost as many SRMs and backed them up with lasers.

Ghost heat has killed the PPC boat, but twin ER-PPCs and streaks are good for sniping and light harassing.

#25 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:16 PM

My 3F (semi-stock)

300 STD
17 DHS
Endo
2x LLAS
2x LRM10 (2 tons)
4x mlas
2x SRM4 (1 ton)
AMS

#26 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:21 PM

I still love my Stalker M "Misery", good amount of fire power and armor. Not so maneuverable but with my AC20 and Pulse Lasers still effective in terms of brawling.

#27 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

been playing around with these two builds..

the streak stalker

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1317e330fa2cecc

I tried this, and the streaks just did not cut it at all for me.. One match i came right up behind a Jag.. from like 15m away, blasted with streaks, then lasers, then PPC's.. and didn't even remove all his armor.. He turned and killed me.. a min later.. So i swapped to this, and while it does run hot, i think it will be better

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...edfefb76dfaf43c

I could drop to a 295 and add another heat sink down the road, Or 290, and add heat sink+ 1/2 ton SRMs ammo.

LRM+narcer

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...28524b02f617fff

misery.. (just built it, yet to play it..always wanted to try Large pulse

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...452e811a90aee78

So far,, ehh.. things are so much slower than what i am used too.. Been doing ok damage wise for learning i think 350-400 on a decent match... But i have died early a few times.. Only played 12 drops total with only one kill.. Hopefully ill do a bit better today.

One thing i noticed big time.. People do not seam to follow assaults.. I guess i didn't notice it as much playing lighter faster mechs, as when crap goes bad i am pretty good at twisting and getting out of trouble, but with assaults, stuff goes bad, and your dead. Something i was not expecting.

The other big news flash, is how often i am walking, and a faster mech cuts me off, or runs and stops right in front of me and screws my movement and it takes forever to get going again. I think when i am back with mediums/heavies, i will pay much more attention to that aspect and give the big boys the right of way. I did for the most part, but i think now i am much more aware of it.

a few matches, i have been in perfect spots, spotting, firing with mechs right next to me, then suddenly the couple smaller mechs near me just decide to run off to nowheres-ville.. by the time i turn to run, i am dead.. and i pop into their mechs and watch and not a mech in site.. I just don't get it. That is one thing i don't do.. just run off from the group with out saying.. going to Flank XXX

Any tips to help me would be great..

Edited by JC Daxion, 27 August 2014 - 02:27 PM.

#28 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 August 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

Should i be using Endo on stalkers Or assaults in general? I have read a lot of people don't for the space.. I guess for now i will just bump up to Doubles, and go from there. As it is they all hold more weapons than anything i have ever played

So i guess it is Stalker time! Now to fire up MWO and dive into the mech lab.. and hope i am not to inept with assaults :)

thanks again guys, you been great! I'll post some builds i have been using after i play around a bit

My 5S runs with Endo steel to compensate for the STD300, but the STD255 3H runs Standard due to space constaints, as I needed the crits for Heat Sinks. You'll generally want Endo, but some builds need the additional space.

Here's my builds if you want some ideas:
Missile supremacy 3H (upgraded stock loadout)
All range fire Support 5S (3F rollback) 3F edition
Brawling beast Misery

I don't have a 5M, but it'd probably looks like this.

You might have noticed 2 trends in my builds: AMS and BAP. The Stalker is very vulnerable to missile fire, due to the hitbox design of its torso. From the sides, you have very flat STs, that protect the CT extremely well, as only the nose stub is actually considered CT. Contrary to that, widens the CT hitbox above and below and makes up most of the surface area there. Missile fire, as it hits from above is very likely to hit the CT. Any damage you can cut off of that is a win. AMS also enhances it in its position as fire support.

BAP is primarily for its ability of increased sensor reach and increased target info gathering. The increased range allows for detecting and identifiing 'Mechs at very long range and provides locks for your missiles and the increased info gathering becomes extremely useful at short range, where you'll want to first are foremost hit where it hurts your enemy the most, and faster than he can do.

EDIT:
Tip for your bilds: Avoid stacking ammo into the STs. The arms are hard to hit and people tend to not actively shoot for them, while the STS are what primarily gets hit under fire. Try to move your ammo into the arms where the ammo is just considered lost upon destruction of your ST, wheas losing the ST would usually end with ammo explosion spillover into your CT.

Edited by SethAbercromby, 27 August 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#29 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 09:02 PM

thanks to all your help... I finally earned "liquid Metal" in my misery! Fitting, as by the end of the match, i was fighting the last mech left, a nova, and i had him almost destroyed, when he took out my last weapon, (my AC-20).. I was a weaponless zombie, But i had an ally close by.. I locked the target and kept twisting, and tried to keep him from getting a clear exit out.. when my last teammate, a shadow hawk showed up and saved the day, and took him down.

this is one achievement i did not think i would get, Rarely do i do top damage, but even less so, on matched i do, I am usually in good shape..

My misery load out is,, Ac-20, SRM6, dual PPC's, with a 275STD. Works pretty darn good. Almost to unlocking elites as well

Just wanted to say thanks to all that helped in making my stalkers, a little less "Misery" :)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users