Buy New Engine Seperate? Or With Mech

15 replies to this topic

#1 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

I am trying to build this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c717e989e1970b9

Or something similar.. maybe large laser.

I am wondering, should I purchase the engine seperate? Or should you always try to buy a chassis that already has the engine, or similar size? The engine alone is 5 million, and many mechs on sale now are that price or cheaper.

Also, is that an effective SHD 2H build? I found it on youtube. I enjoy mid range ballistics. I use a Jager with UAC5's or my FB with AC2's, so I was thinking of mixing it up a bit with this and sticking to AC2's on this SHD, and reverting my FB back to UAC5's with LL.

Any better builds for this?

Thanks!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:23 AM

Smart question.

Truth be told because of the way PGI has worked it, engines seem significantly cheaper with a mech than bought separate. Then again this whole thing wouldn't be possible if Battletech construction rules were kept to the T, (a 300 XL for 100 ton mechs is over 12 million, for 50 ton mechs is over 5 mil, for 35 ton mechs it's barely over 4 mil, and thus incompatible).

Truth be told if you can, get the engine with a mech. The Shadowhawk 5M comes with it, as does the Griffin 3M and the Wolverine 7K. 3 mechs, 3 engines. But only if you have the space in mechbays.

Definitely don't sell XLs.

Also.. If you do buy the engine separate, get an XL 280. Same weight, more speed.

#3 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

If you like Triple-AC2 and Jagers you should try:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bcce4aeb92aa109

All the AC2 are banked in one arm so its like an AC6 if you will (so theres less spread of damage). The DD comes with the XL-260 inclusive.

Feel free to change the AC5 to an Ultra instead if that's your thing.

This mech is my best overall for damage per match and KDR

Edited by Indiandream, 24 August 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#4 GLIZZY GULPER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 140 posts
  • LocationN/A

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

The triple AC2 SHD-2H is my favorite build in the history of life.

If you're like me, you'll end up holding down LMB to keep the stream of fire up. Most matches for me generally didn't pass 675 rounds, but I did have multiple cases where I did run dry.

I used this build right here, but I had to modify it because Shads don't fly anymore.

SHD-2H

If you have it, use the 280 XL, but otherwise the 275 is practically identical. Don't waste your money on a 280 unless you already have one.

Buy the mechs to get the engines, too.

Edited by Tal Ravis, 24 August 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#5 Wrathful-Khan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:37 AM

And yes I've been trolled by many a DakkaHawk. It's definitely a viable build. I believe they actually nerfed AC2s because there was a 2H camped on every hill.

#6 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

You'd probably want to run a 280XL engine unless you have mechs that can only fit up to 275 because it's the same tonnage but a bit faster.

The Huginn, Firebrand, Ilya Muromets, and Cataphract 3D have a 280XL and the 3D is on sale (6.4 million credits, so less than 2 million more than a 280XL alone plus including a UAC5 and LB10X that can be used in your Shadowhawk) this weekend.

The Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 3M, Wolverine 7K, and Heavy Metal has a 275XL but none are on sale this weekend.

If one of the above mechs interests you then you might want to purchase the mech to use the engine. If you can wait, a hero sale might pop up or the Davion sale might have one of the cheaper mechs on sale.

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

View PostRuccus, on 24 August 2014 - 11:44 AM, said:

The Griffin 3M, Shadowhawk 3M, Wolverine 7K, and Heavy Metal has a 275XL but none are on sale this weekend.

If you are playing shadow hawks, ya need 3 to get to master, if you don't have 3 already, the easy choice is to buy the 5M

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 August 2014 - 08:58 PM.

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

View PostIndiandream, on 24 August 2014 - 11:37 AM, said:

And yes I've been trolled by many a DakkaHawk. It's definitely a viable build. I believe they actually nerfed AC2s because there was a 2H camped on every hill.

I don't know how nerfed they really are.. the other day in a match, i had a 4xAC-2 Jag that pelted me an entire mission.. No mater where i would move under cover he would find be and start in again.. finally i had enough and moved in to take him out, but by that point it was to late.. by the time i got close he just finished me off. They might not be what they were, but i can say, they still work pretty well if you are persistent.

Edited by JC Daxion, 24 August 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#9 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

The AC2 was nerfed into the ground a while back. Its range and DPS are in a sad place. 2xAC5+ERLL with ammo has equal tonnage to 3xAC2, but hits harder, for better sustained DPS, and with a stronger energy backup. Use that or 2xAC5+ERPPC for even more firepower.

#10 Jamjor

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

Ok guys.. next question:

I want an XL300. Should I buy it separate? It seems there are only 3 mechs that come with it... and none peak my interest quite yet, and are also very expensive.

Also, my game will sometimes just randomly close. Never during a match, just in menus. Is this normal?

#11 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 24 August 2014 - 11:23 AM, said:

Also.. If you do buy the engine separate, get an XL 280. Same weight, more speed.

Just for the record, there's a few mechs that cap out at 275, including two Ravens, two Centurions (three if you count the champion), and all of the Hunchbacks. In terms of viability, thats only two Ravens and really one Hunchback, maybe two if you want to exploit the 2 RT Energy slots in 4J, but it can be something to keep in mind when getting an engine. If you're never going to use those, great, but if you plan on trying them out some time down the line, keep that in mind when you're comparing a XL275 to an XL280.

Similarly, an XL240 and an XL245 weigh the same, but four Commandos cap out at 240 (the remaining at 210). The XL250 and XL255 weigh the same, but one mech, the new Vindicator Hero St. Ive's Blues, caps at 250. The XL290 and XL295 weigh the same, but two hero mechs, the Kintaro hero Golden Boy and the Quickdraw hero IV-Four cap at 290. The XL 185, 190, and 195 all weigh the same, but all of the Locust cap at 190, and the only mech you'll ever really see dip below 200 is the Commando 2D, so if you have any interest in the Locust, you'll want an XL190 over an XL195.

Not trying to discourage you, just realize that while you do get some extra speed for no additional weight, you exclude it from certain mechs, and all these engines I mentioned all cost four million C-Bills. 4,000,000 C-Bills. Thats a lot of grinding. Keep that in mind.

Don't let this necessarily discourage you either. I highly doubt that I'll ever get the Golden Boy, and the IV-Four is unlikely, since the Quickdraws don't appeal to me, so for me, an XL290 vs an XL295 is a no brainer. Additionally, this presumes that with those mechs, you go for the maximum engine size AND make it an XL engine - I only see the 2X and 4X Ravens suffering from the 275/280 difference.

I just felt the need to make this post because while Koniving is quite likely the most knowledgable person on the forums regarding MWO, but he didn't point out a downside that you can't equip the very expensive engine (about $10 - $15 equivalant) to certain mechs if you're interested in using those certain mechs.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 25 August 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#12 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

View PostJamjor, on 25 August 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

Ok guys.. next question:

I want an XL300. Should I buy it separate? It seems there are only 3 mechs that come with it... and none peak my interest quite yet, and are also very expensive.

Actually, there's seven mechs that come with an XL300.

Standard:
Centurion-D
Trebuchet-3C
Orion-M
Atlas-K

Champions:
Jenner-F
Kintaro-18
Dragon-5N

Just helping you keep your options open.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 25 August 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Actually, there's seven mechs that come with an XL300.

Standard:
Centurion-D
Trebuchet-3C
Orion-M
Atlas-K

Champions:
Jenner-F
Kintaro-18
Dragon-5N

Just helping you keep your options open.

I bought the Atlas K, and i also own the Centurian-D the cheapest is the cent, and they are good mechs if you like mediums.. If you like assaults, perhaps the Atlas if for you.. If ya want in the middle, i have heard many good things about the orions, though i never played them..

Really though,, all those mechs are good in the right hands, maybe not meta, but can be fun. Try to figure out what you enjoy and pick from that.

#14 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

1st question: Eventually as you progress through the game you'll find yourself earning a lot of C-Bills with ease. When you decide to sell the mechs you lost interest in, make sure to strip the chosen mech then save the config so it stays that way before you sell it. That way you can be sure all the equipment/weapons/ammo that was on the mech were saved and you don't risk losing them.

2nd question:No, the game quitting by itself isn't normal. The latest patch promises to fix that problem. Other than that check the minimum/recommended requirements for the game and see if you need any upgrades for your computer or if you just need a new computer altogether.

#15 GTV Zeratul

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

If you're interested in the Orion have a look at this: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a344239e502f4d9

You'll need help from your team to open up the armor but when it's open you'll start destroying components left, right and center. Once you have the x2 basic it's very low heat.

#16 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

After seeing the medium lasers and the SRM I missed the LB-10X weapon and thought it was a Commando build. Also didn't know how to delete my comment.

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 27 August 2014 - 08:26 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users