Need Help Deciding Which Liao Sale Mechs To Get

7 replies to this topic

#1 StrakAttack

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

So, I'm a cheapskate and tend to only want to buy things on sale. The Liao sale has been great for that, and coupled with the premium time for the victory challenge, I'm planning on getting another couple of mechs tonight to play with. I've already gotten 3 stalkers on sale (3F, 3H, and 5M) and am loving those.

I'll list what I already have and would love any input on mechs I should check out. I'm thinking of either getting 3 Cicadas (the 3M plus two others for master) because they're so cheap, I like the 3M's ECM, and I really like playing my Jenners, or a Shadowhawk 2H because I've heard great things about it (plus I have a very low number of mediums so figure I should work on that) Alternatively, the Cataphract 3D is a good mech and has a 280 XL engine, which should be useful for other builds. At 6.4 mil cbills on sale, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Current Mechs:

Lights:
Jenner D(S)
Jenner F
Jenner Oxide
Raven 3L

Mediums:
Centurion CN9-A(C)

Heavies:
Catapult K2
Catapult C1
Catapult J
Thunderbolt TDR-9S
Thunderbolt TDR-5S

Assaults:
Atlas Boars Head
Atlas D-DC
Atlas RS
Stalker 3H
Stalker 3F
Stalker 5M

Edited by StrakAttack, 25 August 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#2 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

I would get the Cicada just because of the huge discount on the 3M. I would not get the 3D just for an engine as most 55 tonners come with nearly as good 275XL which works well enough 99% of the time.

If you want more mediums I would wait for the Nova tomorrow. A Davion sale may have some decent deals on mediums. The 2H is rather bad in my opinion.

Edited by Spheroid, 25 August 2014 - 07:59 AM.

#3 StrakAttack

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 25 August 2014 - 07:49 AM, said:

I would get the Cicada just because of the huge discount on the 3M. I would not get the 3D just for an engine as most 55 tonners come with nearly as good 275XL which works well enough 99% of the time.

If you want more mediums I would wait for the Nova tomorrow. A Davion sale may have some decent deals on mediums. The 2H is rather bad in my opinion.

Nice! I didn't realize that the Cicada came with a 320 XL engine. It's worth it just for that! I'll probably get the 3M, 2A, and 3C and start playing around with builds.

#4 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

why not get the Cicada 3M, and the Cataphract 3D.. best of both worths.. biggest savings, as those cicada's are pretty cheap anyway..

that said... I bought an atlas D, Stalker 3f, and getting one more stalker I think the one with 5 missile points, If everything goes well tonight, 2 cicada's will also be parked in my garage by tomorrow morning :D i already had the 3m (bought it a few months back for the engine to use in my Jester, and to play one day, looks like that day has come!.. What a great weekend!!!

#5 muskrat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

I bought the Cicada 3m (the CB version)

then to round out 3 variants:
I MC'd the Cicada 2A(C)
and the Cicada X5

3 XL Engines 320, 330, and a 340

Now to get them leveled up

Muskrat

#6 StrakAttack

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Nice. I guess I'm a completionist and want to get all 3 cicada variants when they're on sale. That and I don't know if I can grind out another 5 million cbills tonight!

#7 StrakAttack

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

Well, I was an idiot and ground out the extra cbills. Figured even with 35% off, it's only about a 600K cbill saving on the Cicada vs. a 3.4 million saving on the Cataphract so I played until way too late, sold a STD 255 engine, and now have a shiny new Phract 3D. Total haul from the Liao sale:

Stalker 3F, 3H, 5M
Cicada 3M, 2A
Cataphract 3D

#8 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostStrakAttack, on 26 August 2014 - 05:34 AM, said:

Well, I was an idiot and ground out the extra cbills. Figured even with 35% off, it's only about a 600K cbill saving on the Cicada vs. a 3.4 million saving on the Cataphract so I played until way too late, sold a STD 255 engine, and now have a shiny new Phract 3D. Total haul from the Liao sale:

Stalker 3F, 3H, 5M
Cicada 3M, 2A
Cataphract 3D

sweet, I'm with ya.. I spent all weekend playing and grinding, I had to spend 7 bucks on MC, though now i am kicking myself for not spending 15, as i only have one bay left.. But in the end i got.. (this got me to 3 for each of the styles, so plenty to level for a while as i have not even started any of the ones i had prior. so 9 mechs will take a while :)

Atlas D
Stalker 3F, 5M
Cicada 3C, 2A

BTW,, Seeing you grabbed the 3D, I know the 4X get's mixed reviews, but i find it a very fun mech. But the 2x, while a weird layout, AC-20, 2 LL's and a pair of streaks with Tag+bap is super fun. Its sorta of a long range support, with Brawl capiblities, and the streaks+bap+tag, lock almost instantly so between that and a laser sweep, lights go running in the other direction more often than not. Add in the 360 targeting module for extra lock fun so your buddies can LRM them to death :lol:

See ya on the battle field!

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 August 2014 - 03:52 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users