Cpu Or Gpu, Which To Upgrade First?

81 replies to this topic

#41 AncillaLupus

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:55 AM

Running nearly exact the same setup you have and i am fine with it.

Just turn down the settings to medium, turn off AA and lower the resolution.
Will not look that pretty anymore but at least you will not face any serious FPS loss anymore.

#42 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'd go CPU first. I'd get a handle on a cheap i5 (Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge is fine), cheap new motherboard, and 4-8GB of DDR3 1600 or better if it's in the price envelope. That will definitely net you a better experience with the game. Then when you can spare another 150 or more, upgrade the GPU to something more current as well.

Here's some quick reasoning behind this: the CPU is responsible for a lot of things, but one of the more important ones is the network stack processing. In an online game, network stack processing yields a tangible advantage in your match performance. If you bog the CPU down with other processor-based stuff, the network stack processing will suffer. A newer Intel CPU, motherboard, and DDR3 RAM opens up a lot more headroom for things, mainly processing and I/O.

#43 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

anyone considering getting a gtx 770 4gb should know that a single 770 cannot use the 4gb of memory it has unless in SLI (which doesnt work in MWO lol) it does not have the memory bandwidth. so if purchasing a 770 just grab the 2gb version and enjoy.

#44 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 26 August 2014 - 08:00 AM, said:

anyone considering getting a gtx 770 4gb should know that a single 770 cannot use the 4gb of memory it has unless in SLI (which doesnt work in MWO lol) it does not have the memory bandwidth. so if purchasing a 770 just grab the 2gb version and enjoy.

O_o That's pretty messed up.

#45 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

It can use the 4GB just fine. Just not many games that require 4GB at settings that would run well on a 770.

but it should be useful in titanfall, watchdogs and other rushed xbone/ps4 ports that don't use texture streaming.

#46 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:49 AM

Hey guys... He said he's got $300.00.. He might be able to squeeze a low end i5 and mobo, but he is going to need RAM, etc, etc, etc, etc,...

Get some cooling, a better GPU (maybe GTX 760) and OC your CPU to 3.5Ghz.

#47 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

The GPU won't matter if the CPU can't feed it. That CPU will definitely bottleneck any GPU he can spend $300 on.

#48 Odins Fist

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

READ.... http://www.tomshardw...e-4gb-vram.html

I would get a 770 4gb for multiple monitors in a heartbeat...

BUT the OP doesn't need a $300.00 Video card, just a GTX 760 until he can save enough to build the kind of gaming rig we ALL know he would like.

Because, he really needs an entire new setup.

Edited by Odins Fist, 26 August 2014 - 08:56 AM.

#49 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostOdins Fist, on 26 August 2014 - 08:54 AM, said:

READ.... http://www.tomshardw...e-4gb-vram.html

I would get a 770 4gb for multiple monitors in a heartbeat...

BUT the OP doesn't need a $300.00 Video card, just a GTX 760 until he can save enough to build the kind of gaming rig we ALL know he would like.

Because, he really needs an entire new setup.

?? yes that article definitely further states my point. unless im missing something?

#50 End Crescendo

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 75 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

CryEngine is really processor-intensive, but godDAMN is that videocard old.

#51 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

Its your GPU. I have a Phenom II x4 965 and was having similar(though minor) framerate stability problems. Except my old card was stronger than your current one.

You should get a good mid range videocard combined with a mild overclock of your CPU.

Old setup
Phenom 3.4 Ghz
Radeon HD 5750 1 Gig

New setup
Radeon R9 270 2 Gig

Edited by Spheroid, 26 August 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#52 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

Wow...what happened in here, i won't quote by qupte it will be far too long.

On a tight budget buying an I5 and decent motherboard is out the question, because it requires new RAM/CPU cooler which push it out of budget.

Thus Overclocking his P2 X4 IS his best current option, that shouldn't even be debated at this point it is blindingly obvious.
Op ignore the scaremongering about overclocking, people are clearly stuck in the early 90's where PC's were fragile things, technology has moved on and PC components are much tougher.
If you have never done any tweaking before OP fear not, because these days the market makes it super simple to do and there is very little to be afraid of, my advice to you is to do a little research first.

There are tons of beginners guides to overclocking out there literally hundreds and hundreds and if you google your current CPU and add the word overclocking, you'll find guides specific to your CPU, heck im sure you will even find youtube videos with step by step guides.

Just make sure you prime 95 and monitor CPU temps post clocking to ensure stability before you continue at each step.

Onto the GTX 770 4GB, ofc it can use the entire 4GB Bank of VRAM, what limits it is the bus rate, that means at a certain point there might be (might) some issues at nearing the maximum VRAM that effect performance, the 4GB versions are high resolution cards, designed for multiple monitors at high settings.

View PostSummon3r, on 26 August 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

?? yes that article definitely further states my point. unless im missing something?

You did miss the point, because the Hardware Cannucks link in the best solution in that thread proves the opposite of what your saying.

View PostRhaythe, on 26 August 2014 - 06:39 AM, said:

As long as you understand the risks and are prepared, then sure, overclocking might help. Just don't expect too many gains from it. Processor speed isn't the biggest drawback in PC gaming anymore. These days, it's the number of cores you're running that seems to make the bigger dent. 8 cores at 3 ghz will easily outperform 4 cores at 4ghz or better.

Still, if you understand what you're doing, there's no reason not to try it out and see what you can ekk out of your older box. Should at least give you a starting point for comparisons.

This post is true, and also a lie.
In generally yes for gaming the GPU matters more in most games, however RTS games will hammer the CPU more, and as we should all know by now, MWO hammers the CPU far far more than GPU. It is important to have a strong CPU in MWO to achieve stable higher FPS.
Overclocking will help, but is no magic wand but on a tight budget it's all you have.

#53 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

i would assume the OP is not using multiple monitors, or anything over 1080p for that matter

#54 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 26 August 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:

i would assume the OP is not using multiple monitors, or anything over 1080p for that matter

So would i, but it's not a far fetch upgrade once his PC is up to speed, so rather than upgrade GPU twice in short succession i personally would only buy 3GB+ Vram cards.

#55 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:52 AM

Just for the record, I, from the beginning, stated he needed a huge GPU (gtx 760 4gb min. or R9 280 3GB) CPU cooler+paste to OC that perfectly capable P2 X4 into the requirements of MWO<-----------A boat anchor of coded proportions...... he would than be able to play a lot better general experience of MWO maybe even being able to learn enough along the way to user.cfg the pants off MWO.......

#56 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

UPDATE: After running some monitoring software I found my CPU was getting up to 80-85C :). My guess is that it has been for some time. I ordered the cooling fan and thermal compound already, since the stock fan obviously wasn't cutting it. I'm not too keen on overclocking it now. I suspect it won't stand up to too much additional stress.

However, I got some extra money from selling sea urchins to a biology lab, and I now have ~570USD to play with. Now I can upgrade everything! This is what I am considering now http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HbmsVn (thanks for showing me this site btw, it's like smurfy for computers). I have the case, PSU (700W), etc. alreadt. My HDD is only 5400 rpm and 3GB/s SATA, but from what I've read that should only affect loading times. Thoughts?

#57 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 27 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

I am not an expert on this issue but bought my computer just a week ago, and thanks to the advice from people here in this forum I was able to get something really nice while not spending too much.

Using the little knowledge I got, I was playing around in that site and I got this.

I have something similar (also without GPU) and in medium settings I usually get 30FPS.

The reason why I'm not using a GPU atm is they will be dropping price around November to Feb 2015. I know I will get a bigger bang for my buck then.
Until then, I can perfectly wait while playing at those FPS.
Also the SSD I chose is great, big enough, fast, reliable. Will make your whole system feel crispy new for a long time.

Reasons:
CPU - Not capable of overclock but OC'ing will stress it and make its life-time shorter. Sensible CPU from 4th gen i5 with a very nice price / quality ratio.
MOBO - In here I chose for the MB that I can still use if I upgrade my CPU, or need to upgrade MEMORY, or even GPU. There are a few others with these conditions, so it's just a matter of preference. Since the past few months Asrock has stepped-up their products quality, you can get a fairly good one for a lower price than others from Asus or Gigabyte with the same quality.
MEMORY - 2x8 is always better than 2x4 and you are still able to upgrade to another 2x8 in the future.
STORAGE - Price vs storage room vs quality is very good.

NOTE - on one side I hope my choices aren't all that wrong. On the other side I hope I'm wrong somewhere so other users (the expert ones) can correct me. :)

#58 Oderint dum Metuant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 27 August 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

UPDATE: After running some monitoring software I found my CPU was getting up to 80-85C :). My guess is that it has been for some time. I ordered the cooling fan and thermal compound already, since the stock fan obviously wasn't cutting it. I'm not too keen on overclocking it now. I suspect it won't stand up to too much additional stress.

However, I got some extra money from selling sea urchins to a biology lab, and I now have ~570USD to play with. Now I can upgrade everything! This is what I am considering now http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HbmsVn (thanks for showing me this site btw, it's like smurfy for computers). I have the case, PSU (700W), etc. alreadt. My HDD is only 5400 rpm and 3GB/s SATA, but from what I've read that should only affect loading times. Thoughts?

The change in CPU Fan and new thermal paste should resolve the heat issues.

#59 Smokeyjedi

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

when You are gaming @ 45c and have 20 celcius headroom, Overclocking wont seem like an issue @ all.

But the build from Parts picker is aight. It will rock. You would need a heavy heavy overclock to match that I5/

#60 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 27 August 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

I'm not sure, but that cpu might be a devils canyon / haswell refresh cpu, which require a bios update to run, if the motherboard does not have a new bios on it the system will not boot and you'd need to get an old cpu to flash the bios.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users