Medium Mech Jocks: What Are Your Top 5 Favorite Rides, And Why?

BattleMechs

166 replies to this topic

#21 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Great thread!!! Some really interesting builds too! I really used to love my Trebs until they made them so hard to play. Now I am having fun in the Arrow and BJ-1C

#22 Jazzbandit1313

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,088 posts
  • Location--- Star's End ---- -- Novo Cressidas --

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Ahhhh, feels good to finally see a serious thread about the lovely medium weight class. Jacks of al trades but masters of none (That is until you put the right pilot in the cockpit. After that, you should probably watch out)

BJ-1X "Wubbajack" - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a8b32e46ab24af

Light on it's feet and carrying enough punch to wreak havoc to rear CT armor.

CN9-D "Wasp" - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c2d489dc25195b

Great all-around brawler and medium range annoyance. Paired with speed and torso twisting abilities, it's a winning build.

CN9-D "Mach 1" - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f80282cfc7169c0

Anyone who has bought a cn9-D and shoved a huge engine in it will know the joys of a build such as this. You could use an xl355 and twin srm6+Art. instead of the dual 4's, but i find that 133.7 KPH. in a medium mech is just way too fun.

GRF-3M - "Stormfire" - http://mwo.smurfy-ne...79751b103909389

This mech seems a bit short range and impractical, but paired with the cockpit shake and sustained DPS of the SRM2's on chainfire, it is a fearsome opponent to any enemy (that is within 270 M...)

Edited by Jazzbandit1313, 26 August 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#23 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

Blackjack with 2PPC, 2 ML, 2 MG, JJ. Stock loadout of the K2 but wih jumpjets and better heat management on a mech almost half the weight. Feels perfectly punchy.

Nova with 6 ERMLs and 4 MGs.

That's probably it for really favorite Medium rides. Triple AC2 Shadowhawk ws my best/favorite but it feels lackluster at this point. Got some other Shadowhawks that are ok but not especiialy memorable.

#24 Creovex

• The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 1,466 posts
  • LocationLegendary Founder, Masakari Collector, Man-O-War Collector, Wrath Collector, Gladiator Collector, Mauler Collector

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

• Yen-Lo-Wang - Best torso twist trainer of all time. (rotate and protect that AC20)
  • Hunchback 4SP - Since the SRM fix, total domination...
  • Hunchback 4P - The perfect fake, 2 lrg lasers in that RT equals lots of damage
  • Stormcrow - 5 C-ERML + 3 SRM6.... awesome....
  • Nova - Looks great, handles well, and nows how to pack a bunch of punch in one arm...

#25 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Trebuchet 3C
Hunchback Grid Iron

#26 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

1. HBK-4P I've loved this thing for a long, LONG time, and piloting my 9 medium laser tiger-striped terror always feels like home.

2. BJ-1DC Dual AC/5s and dual medium lasers on an XL 235 can put out a very surprising amount of damage, and it's pretty fun to play. Very hit-and-run, unless you can get into those fortunate circumstances where you're left alone to unleash a lot of slap damage, but it's great fun.

3. TBT-7M Oh Trebuchet...you get a lot of hate, but I love how you run. Doing away with the LRM support playstyle of the chassis, I threw streaks, 3 JJ, and two different kinds of lasers on it. You can jump-brawl pretty well in it, if you're in fine form.

4. SCR-C Clan Large Pulse Lasers high in the torso...Clan ER Medium Laser in the right arm, and a very sneaky Clan LBX-5 in the left arm - I've had a *lot* of luck in this thing - and found that the Clan LBXs are surprisingly accurate at 400ish meters. It's a great little setup, and I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a pure laser boat on Stormcrows.

5. CN9-A I know the Centurion's brilliant for zombie builds, but my Cent is a more classic variant - very similar to that I had in closed beta. AC/5, two medium lasers, and - instead of SRM18 - SSRM6. Due to having the smaller missile racks, I could speed it up a bit, so it feels a lot more responsive, and it's still pretty great.

I just wanted to add that this thread can take all of my kudos - mediums are my favourite class of 'Mech, and so far not even the mighty Timberwolf could change that.

#27 Reverendk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 131 posts
  • LocationLike and subscribe to see videos similar to this one.

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

Van Damme!

I know it's no secret that I enjoy the mechs of a particular size. That's my cross to bear.

Now I hear you asking, "What mediums do you use when you're t-zoning Arrrghhh to the Kay?"

Well fans of the HELDCGGFTFFPOHITCE-GNPGCNTFCALEE Clan and woodworking podcast already know but , my favorite mediums are the Trebuchet 7K, Hunchback 4SP, Centurion AL, and Blackjack 1DC.

Now for a second, I reckon, I got ya double check'n. "The 7K?" "The 1DC?" "Those don't have jumpjets!!!"

Church. Here's the thing. Our lord and savior DMX gave mechs feet for a reason. They belong on the ground.

As to the question of what I put on these mechs, the 7K carries a gauss rifle, large laser, and medium laser. The 4SP carries an LRM 20 and four medium lasers for direct LRM support. Put the launcher on the left shoulder to flip the script. The 1DC gets two medium lasers, two small lasers, and two AC5s. The AL gets a large pulse laser, two medium lasers, and an LRM10 with a standard engine. Alternatively a larger standard engine, large laser, three medium laser, and pair of LRM5s makes an occasional appearance.

Cheers,
GG (get good)
RK
High Elo Low Drag Collective Gaming Group for the Family Friendly playing of High Intensity Team Competitive E-Games No profanity gaming clan Native Tongues fan club and Low Emissivity Enthusiasts Clan

#28 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

1. Griffin-it was the torso twist and nimble feel that got me. Also, I've always been more of a PPC+ missles guy.

2. Shadow Hawk-2D2 was the best avenger when a light mech was bothering me. I'd play this a few games and sake my bloodthirst.

3. Hunchback-4G was also my founders mech, and my most memorable battle ever I soloed a Victor back before the nerfs because he couldn't keep up with the fast torso twists.

BUT now:

Stormcrow is the god of mediums for me. I just love the damn thing. Anything less than 106 KPH now feels molasses slow. So I"m completely spoiled. 4 ER ML and a LBX20 is just so damn fun. And that BOOM sound, so satisfying.

#29 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

1. Hunchback 4P (Laserboat)
2. Hunchback 4H/G (AC20)
3. Hunachback 4SP (2xPPC 3xML)
4. Centurion A (ERLL+ 3SRM4)
5. Centurion AL (2xLRM10, 1xERLL, 2xML)

#30 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 August 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

Medium Mech Pilots.

The few, the scorned, the Masochistic. Those willing to play "Hard Mode" with every card in the deck stacked against them. Brothers. Welcome, you crazy loons!

Use single heatsinks only for real hard mode man!

(I still think that the most crazy pilots are locust drivers).

Anyway I like to drive smth funny like gauss cicada or x-5. But when I want to win I run meta shadowhawk ;)

#31 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:34 AM

View PostMarauder3D, on 26 August 2014 - 08:31 AM, said:

Stormcrow is the god of mediums for me. I just love the damn thing. Anything less than 106 KPH now feels molasses slow. So I"m completely spoiled. 4 ER ML and a LBX20 is just so damn fun. And that BOOM sound, so satisfying.

YES! I love that LBX-20 on my SCR-D. Got 3 MPLs instead of ERMLs, but it's just awesome.

#32 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

TREB 3C - EPIC SPEED, the Gs you must pull going 140KPH and turning on a dime in a 50 ton mech must be insane.

Storm Crow - Insane weapon options, easily fits 8 hardpoints TONS of build options!

Cicada - Looks awesome while runnng full speed, suprisingly tough for a 40 ton mech, Unique variant options to choose from.

Wolverine 6K - fastest 55 ton mech with plenty of leftover space for its 5 energy hardpoints + 1 missle. Unique and rarely seen.

BJ - Ignored so hard that you actually have to try to get shot at, in the meantime you fire round after round of AC20 coupled with a few JJs and MLs, a truly suprisingly great mech... The Arrow is fun too!

View PostFoxwalker, on 26 August 2014 - 08:24 AM, said:

Great thread!!! Some really interesting builds too! I really used to love my Trebs until they made them so hard to play. Now I am having fun in the Arrow and BJ-1C

Why are trebs hard to play now?

#33 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hmmm...

1 - SCR Prime - because... domination. It's fast. It boats. It tanks. It's nimble. It's got high weapons slots. Absolutely the most pleasurable and deadly mech in the entire game to drive.

2 - BJ-Arrow - because... fun. Mobile, hard to shoot, underrated and a major blast to bomb around in

3 - Griffin - because...lurmishing. Fast, jumpy, great torso twisting and plenty of missiles.

4 - Wolverine - because... tanky. Just a great mech when you want medium mobility but a heavy's ability to tank.

5 - Hunchback - because... iconic. First mech i owned, and even though it's been outpaced, outgunned and outclassed by the 55 toners, it's still completely viable in any drop that doesn't require JJs.

#34 GrnMonster

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

Stormcrow Prime - only mech I've ever owned that I literally have not changed anything from the stock build.

Blackjack 1x - 8 medium lasers STD280 - Had 9 kills in this one, still the most kills I've had in a single game.

Wang - AC20, 2 medium pulse XL280- fun fun fun.

#35 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

Stormcrow

Centurions - all the variants

Nova - not my best choice , but lacking on better option for a clan pilot - i would prefer Ice Ferret and it is too early for Shadow Cat

Hunchbacks - again lack of good choices , i would prefer Clint and Crab , once again its too early for Bushwacker .

Edited by Daneiel, 26 August 2014 - 08:46 AM.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:45 AM

View PostGrnMonster, on 26 August 2014 - 08:44 AM, said:

Stormcrow Prime - only mech I've ever owned that I literally have not changed anything from the stock build.

Blackjack 1x - 8 medium lasers STD280 - Had 9 kills in this one, still the most kills I've had in a single game.

Wang - AC20, 2 medium pulse XL280- fun fun fun.

XL 280? xtra DHS or ammo? I run the 300xl and 4 tons ammo in mine, so kinda curious? (Though my alt acct uses a 280xl and an er large)

#37 Ph30nix

• 2,442 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Trebbies (7m in particular) 2 erppc and JJ make
wolverine (i put 2 LPL on one and fell in love with the wub)
Blackjack
nova
cent

i will always love the trebbies the most though

#38 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

In no particular order:

Trebuchet-7M - 3 MLs and 3 ASRM6s with jumpjets, moving at just over 100 kph - what's not to like? Absolutely murders all those KitFoxes running around.

BJ-A - Essentially the BJ-1 before I switched to something with a C-Bill bonus. 3xML Gauss, 2xPPC, it does the mini-poptart role so well.

Stormcrow - I'm not sure if this counts as a medium. More like a heavy, really, with the weaponry it can mount. It's like a faster, heavier Hunchie, with its crazy twist.

Shadow Hawk - Still pretty darn good, but the comparative lack of maneuverability has started to grate on me. Constantly battling Stormcrows for top performance.

Griffin - Stormcrow-D IS style - with jumpjets to boot! Like a bigger Treb - but bigger isn't always better.....

#39 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,496 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

1) Cicada CDA-3M - I love my noisy cricket, torso mounted weapons made sure that my PPCs were angled near perfectly before perfect convergence and HSR and Magic Jesus Box to ensure you could harass at range with a 300 XL to maintain distance from all but light mechs. Unfortunately I've been grinding other Medium chassis so I havn't played this one much since I mastered it before PPCs got their heat returned to normal. Reminds me of the MW4 SCat days of harassing, if only the Cicada had JJs.....

2) Griffin GRF-1N - I'm really liking the Griffin since they fixed SRM hit detection, the mobility combined with the short range firepower makes this Mech really fun to pilot. I really liked the look of the MWO Griffin since its release but didn't have any interest in piloting it until recently and very glad I decided to run it.

3) Shadow Hawk SHD-2K - 2 PPCs for long range and 3 ASRM4s for backup at short, all mounted high on the torso, JJs, whats not to like?

4) Blackjack BJ-1 - I don't know what it is about this thing (maybe the AC20 reminds me of the MW4 medium days) but I love piloting this thing. I saved it as the last Blackjack to master because it was a lot of fun to go jump brawling in, that is if your PUGs could force a brawl. A surprisingly decent mech despite its slowness compared to other Mediums around it (and the XL no less).

5) Stormcrow - I havn't gotten this mech, but I already know I will like the king of mediums. I said before the Clans mechs were released that this thing was going to be a beast and have not been disappointed just playing against them. I just wish this thing were released for C-Bills sooner rather than when it actually will be released so I can play the damn thing, that's probably the only reason this isn't the top of my list.

#40 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Cicada 3M
Probably the most unique Medium since it plays like a Light. Lots of fun builds: dual ERLL, triple LL, quad ML or MPL...plus a ballistic slot to play with.

Blackjack-1, -1X
The -1 with an AC/20 is great. High firing, 3 ML, and jump jets. Definitely for people who also like AC/20 Hunchies and the Yen Lo.

Hunchbacks
-4P is my go to, -4SP is my close second. Standard builds: 9ML and ML/SRMs respectively.
AC/20 Grid Iron: Nice because it's like the -4H or -4G but I have an SRM4 in the LT so if when you lose the shoulder, you have more punch.

Centurions
They're good...not my favorite but I do run the Zombie Cent (-A with triple SRM6, one ML, one SL) and a standard engine Yen-Lo with AC/20 and two MPL.

Trebuchet 7M
The best, smallest effective LRM boat. All the missiles fire in one cluster and it's got enough tonnage for good ammo and a BAP. And it jumps! I run two LRM15s, two ML, and a TAG with 6-8 tons of ammo.

Kintaro-18 or Golden Boy
Awesome LRM5 boat. LRM5s have fast refire but can also chain fire for nice cockpit rock. Golden Boy can pack 3 ML as back up but only goes 94. The -18 can only bring two ML but can run 116kph. I know a lot of people like the Light killer with five SSRMs but I think the Shadow Hawk 2D2 does it better for the same tonnage.

Shadow Hawks
I say Hunchies are my favorite due to nostalgia, etc. but the Shadow Hawks truly are superior. Five tons more and you can jump and have basically the same loadout as any Hunchy and the shoulder's not as vulnerable. Every variant is good.

That Shadow Hawk 2D2 "Light killler" I like is four SSRM2s, LBX and two MPL.
My -2K is fun with two ERLL, one LL

Vindicator
Jury's still out for now but I've had a lot of fun with the SIB using a LPL, two MLP, two SRM4s...despite the brawly loadout, I've been able to run an XL with it without it feeling like a liability...and I don't usually run XL on anything but a Light. It will be a prime target once they come out but after a few months you'll be able to battle on inconspiciously...that's where Mediums shine, IMO. Stay with a meat shield and the enemy has to either shoot the Hunchy or the Dire Wolf...They'll probably pick the Dire, giving you plenty of time to line up devastating, well placed shots.

PS, forgot the Clans:

Stormcrow
Any variant (due to omnipods) will work: GREAT LRM boats. My -C has a TAG, five LRM10's and a lot of ammo. The -D has two A+LRM20, TAG, and two ERML.
Another good build is the five SRM6 build (you can even fit an ERLL in the head!)
I thought Nova's would be better than they are but I'm just not feeling them...Stormcrows can make really good/better laser boats (for only 5 tons more) just no JJ's...but with such a long beam duration on the Clan lasers, not having JJ's isn't a problem...especially when you have the range.

Edited by TygerLily, 26 August 2014 - 09:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users