9 replies to this topic

#1 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I've never used SRMs much, and SSRMs not at all.

Bought a GB on sale, loved tooling around with the LRM5 x5 thing, but thought I should shake it up a bit and dropped a big engine in it, and 5 SSRMs.

And. I. Am. Awful.

Got BAP in it, and advanced target decay. Try to hang near big boys and protect them from lights.

I'm laughably bad and don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't care at all about KDR, but as a tool to illustrate, it's dropping faster than Jimmy Hoffa and his concrete shoes. In the 20ish game I've played with it since changing, I might have gotten 2-3 K's total. Average damage is around 100. And many many losses, though there are other factors involved there, obviously.

On a similar note, I've also starting trying SRMs more now too, and I can't hit anything that isn't standing still. Anything moving at all and my missiles go flying past it. I assume this is just a practice issue? Learning to lead them correctly? Frustrating though, last week a guy in an armless SHD killed the last 4 guys on my team by himself with nothing but SRM14 (I think? Maybe was SRM16). Dude was awesome, never missed. I was so impressed its kinda what prompted me to give them a more serious try.

Edited by Votanin FleshRender, 26 August 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:44 AM

You kinda missed the boat, SSRMs targety individual locations differently now and do a lot more damage all over the mech and consequently take longer to make a kill. They do much less damage now than the ydid in the past.

Conversely, SRMs now have much better hit detection/damage caluclation, even though their stats didn't change much the game copes with them better; a fast medium with a belly full of SRMs can really put the hurt on someone! SRMs do need a lot of lead time/distance, so they're best if you ambush someone who is distracted instead of picking a fight with them head to head. Get a Dire Wolf in the spine with 4 SRM6s and then get the hell out of the way when he turns around.

#3 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:48 AM

Try to hit standing targets at training grounds when run around. Set comfortable mouse sensetivity and acceleration.

#4 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

I feel your pain, mate. Currently trying to get into a short ranged SSRM / SRM Stormcrow, after not having much used SRMs before, and SSRMs pretty much never. I do honestly suck at this, very, very badly. But it's fun.

#5 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

SRMs are probably a better bet than those streaks. Streaks have a very small niche right now and that niche is killing lights. Since matchmaker is pairing by weight class you will usually encounter 3 lights (sometimes less) which makes a build solely bearing SSRMs very vulnerable.

However, there is another issue with SRMs....ghost heat. SRM6 and SRM4 launchers are both subject to ghost heat after 3 launchers (meaning 3 is GH free and 4 triggers GH). You can beat this either by adding more heat sinks or by firing groups of 2 or 3 launchers separately rather than in a single "splat".

Here's a build that uses both SRMs and SSRMs. This should be a nice way to learn about the two.

#6 Votanin FleshRender

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 518 posts
  • Location3rd rock from the Sun

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

As much as a deep and abiding hatred of lights I have developed while playing heavies and assaults, I was very much looking forward to some payback, lol.

I didn't mention that with 5 SSRM, there's ghost heat there too, so I've been chain firing them, in addition for whatever shake they cause. Is that a bad idea? does AMS shoot down SRMs too?

#7 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:50 PM

SRM's have a pretty good sized learning curve. They spread, so closer is better, closer means easier to hit as well. So run right up behind that mech and blast um in the rear armor from 10m away. :)

Farther shots take a lot more practice, but still are nice and powerful especially when launching from farther away. Perhaps someone else knows if they have a higher crit than say lasers, but i could swear they do from observation. I can't count how many times i saw just one spot blinking red on their armor, and i know blasting it with my laser would not blow it up, but just a single rocket pops the mech. (as i watch the others hit a complete other area, or miss the entire mech)

Streaks, I have never played a golden boy, but i could play around with smurfy if ya like.. But my only suggestion here, is you need a main energy weapon for your streak boat. Those streaks are great, but they don't do much damage. They do how ever seem to crit like a SRM, and maybe even do the same damage on strike? (please someone correct me if i am wrong) the main thing with these guys is they always hit if you have line of sight and are in range.

Get BAP, Get Tag, Get artemis.. This all stacks for a super fast lock letting you blast away at those great light pilots that only give you a second or two of being uncovered.

You will not get high damage when you are mainly streaking, But then again your target does not have lots of armor. 100 damage could mean completely killing 3 lights. 600 damage could mean you shot a timber wolf in 15 different places, and never even took out a single weapon.

Often i get 150-200 damage in a match, But i know what i did even if my team doesn't. I took out an AC-20, i took off back armor, I killed a light, I legged a medium, and took off keeping it tagged, while a teamate LRM boat rocked it into oblivion. Heck even at times ill hide, and just tag a DDC, and let my sniper buddies destroy him.

Don't be to caught up on damage, and more what you did to help you win. Being alive, and helping the entire match is a big key. If the only thing you did all match was help catch 2 lights at the end of the match, when they are pounding on two really beat up assaults, and you make it a win, that is gold.... much more so than 500+ and a loss. Just my 2 cents :lol:

#8 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

missiles do not have a higher crit chance but they work better than lasers because with a laser, it does a crit roll for every little tick of the laser beam which means it's rolling over all the components. By comparison, a missile is front loaded damage and will crit only one item per missile.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:01 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 26 August 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

does AMS shoot down SRMs too?

AMS will shoot at any enemy missile in range, prioritizing those locked onto you, so if locked LRMs or SSRMs are incoming when you fire SRMs the AMS will prioritize LRMs and SSRMs over SRMs.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostVotanin FleshRender, on 26 August 2014 - 10:35 AM, said:

I'm laughably bad and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

What's your ping? If it's above 150 it can be a huge reason for your trouble.

Streak use.

SRM use. This combination is effectively similar to 6 SRM-6s without ghost heat (2 LBX 20s + 2 SRM-6s).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users