Dear Paul, Dear Nikolai, Concerning Jumpjets.

Issue

22 replies to this topic

#21 Platinum Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 27 August 2014 - 09:52 PM, said:

In Tabletop (for what that's worth) jump jets are a way to maneuver. You don't actually fire while jumping, you fire after landing. Old style jump jets plus reticule shake until you land again seems like a very fair balance to me.

Actually the TT has phases when you do things to simplify the complexity of combat interaction. It breaks down all the things that are supposed to actually be happening during the battle simultaneously into phases. The mech gets a +3 to difficulty of shooting when he jumps to represent how hard it is to hit with his attacks when he is firing in the air and recovering from the jump.
I agree that reticule shake is good, but I'd probably prefer cone of fire like in most FPS games as the way to do it. And JJ's need to be fixed. right now trying to jump up to anything takes far too long in combat to be useful. By the time you can bring weapons to bear you've been hovering against the ledge for 10 seconds and are cored.

View PostMister D, on 27 August 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

The last few nerfs, fall damage, heatscale, JJ thrust nerfed repeatedly, hurt the mechs that need those nerfs the least, the Mediums, and the lights, and 1 rare exception Heavy the Quickdraw, because it was applied globally and not at the source of the problem until after the fact.

Don't forget the Summoner. That heavy was hit pretty damn hard.

#22 reaverOfCheesecake

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

Just to note my opinion here and i see no problem in people disagreeing with this.. Cone fire is meant to represent the accuracy problems with a person (not machine) aiming a weapon during firing, running, jumping etc. A mech would not suffer from the same problem as a person due to the fact that the actuators lock in place (essentially due to no commands or power supplied for movement). There wouldn't be a firing cone per say but firing a weapon while in the air would affect the trajectory of the mech itself (i.e. it would get pushed in the opposite direction to which the gun was fired). The only issue would be the shake from the jumpjets on the pilot and potentially the cockpit if the gyro couldn't compensate). This is already represented by the screen shake so i feel that for the sake of realism, simply up the shake a little more during jumpjet burn.

+1 on the fact that JJ need to be fixed though. The lack of power on take off is just plain wrong... and there is no way to bring back a positive climb once you go into a negative... which is really unrealistic... it's like you mech only uses 10% of the fuel in the jets and vents the rest of the fuel out a dump exhaust or something.

#23 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

On medium mechs, the JJ's feel fine and good. On lghts they are still crazy catapults. On heavies and assaults they are pointless warm farts.

tbh, Any mech with JJ's maxed should behave similar to the Nova with its 5 JJ's because bigger mechs have bigger JJ's. This is to make JJ's work with those mech sizes and weights. But atm, lights are too jumpy, and heavies/Assaults are really to fatass.
On mediums like my nova they feel good, not too much punch for crazy stuff, but yet I can get ut of the canyon with them which means they add exactly the mobility they were made for.

So all in all: 5 JJ's on any mech should at least make it behave like the Nova with its JJ's. Maybe let Bigger mechs suffer some more heat penalty because they have bigger JJ's.

View PostreaverOfCheesecake, on 28 August 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

Just to note my opinion here and i see no problem in people disagreeing with this.. Cone fire is meant to represent the accuracy problems with a person (not machine) aiming a weapon during firing, running, jumping etc. A mech would not suffer from the same problem as a person due to the fact that the actuators lock in place (essentially due to no commands or power supplied for movement). There wouldn't be a firing cone per say but firing a weapon while in the air would affect the trajectory of the mech itself (i.e. it would get pushed in the opposite direction to which the gun was fired). The only issue would be the shake from the jumpjets on the pilot and potentially the cockpit if the gyro couldn't compensate). This is already represented by the screen shake so i feel that for the sake of realism, simply up the shake a little more during jumpjet burn.

Untrue, wepaons even Machine guns do have a natural inaccuracy, especially fast shooting guns by recoil have vibrations makign them less accurate when fired at high RoF. And mechs that are tons moving around would have a lot inaccuracy by this. So when you go 70 kph and you whole cockpit shakes like hell, do you think your wepaons stay lock dead on the spot? They wouldn't.
So a cone depending on the speed would make sense, not only while jumping.

Edited by Lily from animove, 28 August 2014 - 05:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users