- - - - -

Help Figuring Out How To Be Able To Change Mech Loadout

9 replies to this topic

#1 SeigeTank

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

Hello. I'm new and I can get to the mech details screen of a "trial" mech, but it won't let me change the loadout. So it seems i need to "buy" this mech first then be able to change loadout since I now bought it.

But does this take $$ to get the "resources" to buy it? I have millions of, I think 't-bills'? But those aren't used to buy mechs (?) So without paying $$ you cannot ever change loadout of a mech?

If you have a web site to link to I can read up on it but cannot find all info on one page and a video I looked at is clearly out of date as it doesn't match the current mech bay.

Thanks for any help!

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Welcome to MWO.

Play 25 games, you'll have approximately 8,500,000 to 9,000,000 (sometimes more depending on how you do game-wise) with which you can get your own mech.

In the mean time, consider the trial mechs as 'loaners' or 'samples' of pre-upgraded Inner Sphere mechs. Some good, some..."what the heck were they thinking?"

You cannot change them (unless you owned them) but by-and-far you are better off not spending cash on any mech with a "( C )" on it unless you are looking to skip an earnings grind.

If you want to view the mechs that can be bought with Cbills, click the following:
"Mechbay" - "Filter: Owned." - "Filter: Purchasable."
Now any mech you click on can be seen. Note: means you can earn it by playing. means you need to spend some money.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

View PostSeigeTank, on 26 August 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

Hello. I'm new and I can get to the mech details screen of a "trial" mech, but it won't let me change the loadout. So it seems i need to "buy" this mech first then be able to change loadout since I now bought it.

But does this take $$ to get the "resources" to buy it? I have millions of, I think 't-bills'? But those aren't used to buy mechs (?) So without paying $$ you cannot ever change loadout of a mech?

If you have a web site to link to I can read up on it but cannot find all info on one page and a video I looked at is clearly out of date as it doesn't match the current mech bay.

Thanks for any help!

Here is a video tutorial on loadout:

Here is a video on buying and selling mechs:

Hope these help.

#4 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Trial mechs are fixed in loadout. You need to play enough to earn enough C-Bills to buy another mech that is changeable. Note that you get a bonus for the first 25 matches, so play those out and then figure out what you would like to spend the C-Bills on.

Wait for more helpful advice than me to weigh in and you definitely found the right place to ask these questions and look around for potential answer.

Welcome aboard and good hunting.

aaaaand, beaten to the punch by two of the people you should listen to around here, must type faster . . .

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

Most mechs you can buy with (called C-bills) which is what you earn through playing. All parts, weapons, equipment, etc., are also bought with cbills.

You can buy any mech with ("Mech Credits", aka real cash), those that can only be bought with falls into three categories.

The -only "Champion" ( C ) mechs are pre-upgraded mechs with a permanent attached experience boost. These are, supposedly, community designed mechs and will wind up as trial mechs and alternate out 12 at a time. You can change the loadouts if you own them (and in some cases you really should).

The second type of -only mechs that you will find are "Hero" mechs which are based off of some canon or made-up Battletech hero's battlemech. These typically have a layout that is either unique or a combination of multiple other variants and are either equal to, slightly better, or somewhat not as good as the regular mech variants.

The third and final type of -only mechs are early-release. Currently the clan mechs fall under this category. They will sit for either 2 weeks or 1 month as MC only, then become available for Cbills as well. Nothing special here. It's like the Vindicators. Today, MC. In 2 weeks, Cbills.

Edited by Koniving, 26 August 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#6 SeigeTank

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

Ok thank you for the great information to all. Can only make 5 posts a day so adding to this one:

What does "C owned 0" and "H owned 0" and " owned 0" mean?

Thank you again! Looking over videos and experimenting - found out there are some mechs I can buy even now (I have 5mil).

#7 Marvyn Dodgers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationCanuck transplanted in the US

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

Methinks that means champions/heroes owned (see above for details)

#8 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

The C means it's a champion mech and the H means Hero mech. These types are only available for MC(real money). The owned 0 shows the number of that mech you own. If you were to buy an LCT-1V Locust the it would say owned 1. If you bought another it would say owned 2. I wouldn't recommend doing that you only really need one of each variant.

#9 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Not sure on the "M"s and the "C"s, but quickly I have to warn you about buying too early. I cannot stress more that you should finish your cadet bonus before you buy anything. A long while ago I started playing and didn't realize I was getting a new player bonus on all my matches. I wasted a lot of money finding what I liked and the next few weeks were pretty grindey as a result. I bought a Hunchback and while I love my Hunchies, I've found I do better in other chassis. My bet is that you'll have a similar experience finding what you like.

Try out a few matches in each weight class, i.e. Light 'mechs, 'medium 'mechs, heavies, and assault 'mechs.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the best giant stompey internet robot game around. Glad to have ya.

Edited by Phobic Wraith, 26 August 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

No one linked it yet, but Smurfy is your friend: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users