Your Personal Mech Name Visibility

5 replies to this topic

#1 DeathWaffle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

Everyone's mech names should be visible on the battlefield. I'm curious to see what people named their mechs so please add a third line to people's title on the battlefield.

Edited by DeathWaffle, 26 August 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:38 PM

No, bad idea!

I know for a fact, that some are using very offensive mechnames and I don't want to see those constantly on the screen during a match. Let them name their mech how they want to, as long as they keep it private.

There are also plenty of players who name their mechs after the modules or equipment they loaded onto it. It's a crutch for them to better navigate the mechlab. If they kept their names, they would provide the enemy with intel over their own mechs and if they removed or changed them they lose their crutch.

And then there are player like me, who never changed their mechs name from the default. The default is shown anyway and would now be duplicated and wasting space on the screen.

If you want to know the names of your opponents or your teams mechs, or if you want to share your own, youcan do so in this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...our-mech-names/

#3 DeathWaffle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:03 AM

View PostEgomane, on 26 August 2014 - 11:38 PM, said:

No

- There are many ways to prevent unwanted names (ie: Guns of Icarus - who filters out offensive names with their database)
- Hiding duplicate names
- Having a check mark to either enable or disable this feature

That wasn't too hard now was it comrade, now lets celebrate with vodka

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:25 AM

There are plenty of ways around filters. Those who want to field abusive names will do so.

#5 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

Definitely not.

Our computer systems are designed to tell us "This is an enemy Atlas AS7-D with 2x SRM-6s, Gauss Rifle, and 4x Medium Lasers"

Not "This is an enemy Atlas AS7-D piloted by Johnny Bravo who likes to lovingly refer to his mech as SheWantsTheD"

The current information we have is enough for what we're doing. The personal names should stay personal.

#6 DeathWaffle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationJupiter

Posted 27 August 2014 - 01:03 PM

View PostExAstra, on 27 August 2014 - 05:14 AM, said:

Definitely not.

Our computer systems are designed to tell us "This is an enemy Atlas AS7-D with 2x SRM-6s, Gauss Rifle, and 4x Medium Lasers"

Not "This is an enemy Atlas AS7-D piloted by Johnny Bravo who likes to lovingly refer to his mech as SheWantsTheD"

The current information we have is enough for what we're doing. The personal names should stay personal.

I just talked about this sort of situation in my last post and that it could be prevented.

For people who don't want see personal mech titles: A switch to turn them off.

Although I do agree that the computer systems shouldn't show the mech names. So a solution to that is to implement it on something a little less by the book, the scoreboard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users