Team Training Grounds

4 replies to this topic

#1 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:17 AM

I don't know if this topic has been covered before, if it has just let me know.

I've introduced a friend to MWO and the first thing we could do was drop in a hot game against excellent opponents. Additionally, the search time for games was quite long.

I suggest that teams be able to drop in a training ground initially to allow new players to get a feel for the game. Any thoughts?

#2 Kalimaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Neat idea.

#3 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:30 AM

The idea isn't bad, but it is hard to realize.

The training ground is run on your PC as a local instance of the map, with no server authoritive functions. If you want to invite someone to your training ground you need to take over some of the server functions (matchmaking for example). Opening server code to public, wich will allow analyzation of said code for all kinds of things.

Sadly, I see no solution to this problem. But...

Running the training ground on the server is a complete instance of a match reserved for training. For such cases PGI implemented private matches. If you have enough friends or players you want to train you can setup a private match for 24 players, and only one of those would need premium time. If you want to setup a match with less players you would need one player with active premium time in both teams.

I know that this will not cover your example of one veteran and one fresh player, but you could organize regular training sessions that would allow you to achieve something similar.

#4 Arahantius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys :-)

#5 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

Best bet, I think, would be to find some volunteers on the Comstar TS server (or NGNG, maybe) of who would be willing to set up a private match (premium required) to let said person run around... and maybe even be the target dummy.

I know I have done that repeatedly for brand newbies joining Clan Wolf, Alpha Galaxy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users