Engines & Heatsinks

16 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton Dakota

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 46 posts
  • LocationDavao City, Philippines

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:56 AM

In BattleTech, the engine comes with 10 HS, single or double. Depending on the size it can or cannot hold them all. This is standard 'Mech construction.

I purchased the C-1 and C-4 Catapults the other day. While upgrading them, I noticed that it wasn't listing the heat sinks in them as I've seen on other 'Mechs.

So my question is, are the heat sinks in the engines in this game? I know that's a stupid question, but from appearances on these 2 specific 'Mechs it does look like it.

Another question:

Why aren't ER Medium Lasers available now for the Inner Sphere or are they going by the exact timeline for making them available?

Side note, I may be new to this game, but I am not to BattleTech. So don't berate me too much for asking these 2 questions. Thanks.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:11 AM

Question 1
Engines in MWO are a bit different then in the tabletop, but they come to the same result in weight and space needed.

In tabletop engines come with 10 weight free heatsinks. They are not always in the engine. A reactor can hold rating/25 (round down) number of heatsinks internally. All others need to be mounted somewhere else in the mech and take up critical slots.

In MWO the engine comes with a number of heatsinks internally mounted, as its rating would permit (up to 10 for a 250 reactor). The reactor in MWO also includes the weight of the gyro and the weight of the cockpit. The reactor is reduced in weight to accomodate for the heatsinks that need to be mounted to get to the minimum number of ten. You can not launch with a mech that has less heatsinks and such a build would be marked illegal. You need to mount the heatsinks, that do not come with the engine, manually somewhere else in the mech and they will need critical slots normally.

If a reactor is capable of holding more then 10 internal heatsinks you can add them manually to it, by moving them from the inventory to such a reactor installed on a mech. Just like the rules of the tabletop, those heatsinks do have weight.

A Catapult comes with a 260 rated engine. Such an engine allows for 10 internal heatsinks (260/25 = 10,4 ~ 10). Those internal heatsinks will be single or double heatsinks, depending on your upgrades to the mech.

Question 2
Mechs and equipment are dependent on timeline in MWO. We currently have 3049 in MWO and equipment that does not belong in this timeline will not be available for a while. It is unkown if there will be forward timejumps to accellerate availability of other mechs and equipment.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:12 AM

The heatinks in the engine are in the game. A 250 engine has exactly 10. Larger engines even have room for extra ones (a 300 engine has room for it's base 10 plus two additional ones)

In TT, each engine comes with 10 heat sinks incldued in the weight of the engine, but smaller engines still need to stack some of them outside the engine. MWO handles the weight of these extra heatinks differently (the extra sinks up to 10 are not weightless but their weight is discounted from the ngine weight) the end result is the same total weight and same total number of crit slots and the same # of minimum heatsinks (sine, as you can see, even stock mechs that have some of their 10 heatsinks outsdie their engine still have the correct stock build.

ERML don't exist in the inner sphee yet; the current year is 3049, and the IS has not yet developed amny weapons and won't for a number of years of the timeline. when that will happen for the game is unknown, but it won't be any time soon. (we only recently rewound the timeline to 3049 sdo they're not gonig to skip it ahead!)

Dammit Egomane, I was still typing and I had to answer the phone.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 27 August 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#4 Dalton Dakota

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:36 AM

Thank you. Again, I thoroughly understand and have a very detailed knowledge and understanding of 'Mech construction. I've played BT since it came out. I asked solely because the HS do not show up on the 2 specific 'Mechs mentioned in the engine as they do on my Timberwolves.

#5 Dalton Dakota

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:59 AM

After further review, the 260XL engine does not have any internal HS. I thought I'd check by looking at the engine in the loadout and this is what I found: http://assets-cloud....nal/2867742.jpg.

According to the engine is is supposed to have 6, not 10 and it lists '0.'

Either there's a bug in the UI or the engine does not have internal HS.

#6 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:02 AM

Those heatsinks are the heatsinks that can be mounted additionally to the already included ones.

The maximum you can mount to a reactor as extra heatinks is 6. If you look at a 400 XL reactor you will see this beam as full. On a 275 you will see it as 1.

I have run mechs on internal sinks only. If there were none, that would have been impossible as the mech would overheat after a very short while and nver come out of shutdown.

#7 Dalton Dakota

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:11 AM

View PostEgomane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

Those heatsinks are the heatsinks that can be mounted additionally to the already included ones.

The maximum you can mount to a reactor as extra heatinks is 6. If you look at a 400 XL reactor you will see this beam as full. On a 275 you will see it as 1.

I have run mechs on internal sinks only. If there were none, that would have been impossible as the mech would overheat after a very short while and nver come out of shutdown.

I tired mounting HS in the engine and it would not let me.

#8 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:18 AM

A 260 has no room for extra heatsinks. I thought you said you know that stuff?

If you are talking about bigger engines, then you have to mount those extra heatsinks into an installed reactor. You can not mount them to one in your storage. Storage is always intinkered basic equipment.

Edited by Egomane, 27 August 2014 - 04:19 AM.

#9 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:19 AM

View PostDalton Dakota, on 27 August 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

I tired mounting HS in the engine and it would not let me.

The 260 engine has no extra slots for any additional heatsinks. a 275 would have 1 slot and a 300 would have 2.

A 260 engine will have 10 built-in heatsinks (these are not visible or movable individually, they're built in)

The Int Heatsink rating in the info pane is for the extra heatsinks. If you view the info pane for a larger engine you will see a different number.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 27 August 2014 - 04:20 AM.

#10 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 11:34 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

If you mouse-over your mech in your list you should see its details loaded on the right side. You should see heat sink details (if i recall correctly)

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostDalton Dakota, on 27 August 2014 - 03:59 AM, said:

After further review, the 260XL engine does not have any internal HS. I thought I'd check by looking at the engine in the loadout and this is what I found: http://assets-cloud....nal/2867742.jpg.

According to the engine is is supposed to have 6, not 10 and it lists '0.'

Either there's a bug in the UI or the engine does not have internal HS.

A 250 engine and upward has 10 heatsinks in the engine itself and does not need anymore. The internal heatsink counter goes from 275 (1 internal heatsink allowed to be added) through to 400 (6 allowed).

However a 250 has 10 already in it as part of it which you cannot touch or remove; it's simply part of the engine itself.
A 275 and up has space for you to manually add or remove 1 or more heatsinks.

As for how the heatsinks in MWO work, look here.
http://keikun17.gith...heat_simulator/
Please note that unlike PGI's wording of "internal" for 275 and up... it uses the proper Battletech wording of "Internal" for those that came with the engine itself for free and "External" for those which you must add manually.

#12 Dalton Dakota

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:48 AM

View PostEgomane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:18 AM, said:

A 260 has no room for extra heatsinks. I thought you said you know that stuff?

If you are talking about bigger engines, then you have to mount those extra heatsinks into an installed reactor. You can not mount them to one in your storage. Storage is always intinkered basic equipment.

Sorry for my late reply, RL has gotten in the way of me doing much of anything.

I know the 260 cannot hold anymore HS than 10. I've been designing and play with 'Mechs since the game was released. This is why I am questioning the information provided to me. That picture I put up shows no HS whatsoever. I have 2 external HS mounted on the 'Mech and they do not show if I were to go by what people are saying.

When I removed those 2 HS heat generation blows through the roof according to information on the 'Mech.

What my problem is after looking at my Timberwolves, they have listed 5 internal HS. If my Cats have internal HS, why aren't they showing in the same manner as the clan 'Mechs I have. This the problem. You and others say, 'you have internal HS.' However, the information on the engine that I provided says otherwise. And that information lists it as 'internal' not external. According to what my Catapults currently have, I have 2 external Dbl HS and nothing more.

#13 salkeee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 172 posts
  • LocationTree House

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostDalton Dakota, on 03 September 2014 - 02:48 AM, said:

Sorry for my late reply, RL has gotten in the way of me doing much of anything.

I know the 260 cannot hold anymore HS than 10. I've been designing and play with 'Mechs since the game was released. This is why I am questioning the information provided to me. That picture I put up shows no HS whatsoever. I have 2 external HS mounted on the 'Mech and they do not show if I were to go by what people are saying.

When I removed those 2 HS heat generation blows through the roof according to information on the 'Mech.

What my problem is after looking at my Timberwolves, they have listed 5 internal HS. If my Cats have internal HS, why aren't they showing in the same manner as the clan 'Mechs I have. This the problem. You and others say, 'you have internal HS.' However, the information on the engine that I provided says otherwise. And that information lists it as 'internal' not external. According to what my Catapults currently have, I have 2 external Dbl HS and nothing more.

If ur cats engine would tell that U have 10 hs than ur timberwolfs engine would tell that U have 15 but that is not the case
If U puted on ur timber aditional heat sink in side torso it would still say that U have 5 becouze those 5 go in engine and doesnt take aditional slots on other parts of ur mech.

Any heatsink puted in other part of mech like side torso engine will not tell U that U have extra heatsinks it just doesnt provide that info it never did in MWO as much I know.

#14 The Trumpet of Gabriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 September 2014 - 06:42 AM

The heatsinks you are seeing in the Timberwolf engine are the additional HS that can be added to the engine after it is installed on a mech. The reason they can not be removed from the TW engine is that since it is an omni mech, you can't change the engine or equipment on the engine. On your catapult, if you were to install a 275 or greater you would have 1 or more slots to add heatsinks to the engine in addition to the ones that are "hardwired" in, but not visible. I hope this helps.

#15 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

View PostEgomane, on 27 August 2014 - 04:02 AM, said:

This here. The problem is that the bar you are looking at is poorly labeled. It should say something like "Engine mountable HS SLOTS. It's not actually telling you how many heat sinks are in the engine, but rather how many slots that engine has available to be mounted on it beyond the default 10. Engines below 275 can never have more than 10, and thus that number is always 0. Stick a 275 Engine in there and you'll see that number is a 1 regardless of if there's a HS in the slot or not.

#16 Anassi

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:47 PM

So, I've decided to illustrate the issue. Following is a picture of the center torso loadout of my Misery with an STD 300 engine mounted:

http://i.imgur.com/OGE0OtZ.jpg

Alright, as you will notice there are two things. First, the bar in the engine description now shows a "2". This means that the engine itself can hold two more heatsinks than the ten that are already installed internally and that cannot be interacted with by any means. Second, the two "doubles" you see at the bottom of the icons means that I have currently two additional double heatsinks installed for a grand total of 12 in the engine. This is possible because it is a 300 engine that according to the formula can hold a total of 300 / 25 = 12 heatsinks.

The bar graph on the description only shows how many additional heat sinks you can cram in, AFTER it's ten internal.

On your Mad Cat you will see that there are five additional heatsinks (to the 10 internal) installed, seeing as the Cat has a 375 engine installed (375 / 25 = 15). They will, however, be grayed out because the Clan Omnimechs have fixed engines and upgrades that cannot be tooled with at all.

Edited by Anassi, 03 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#17 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

View PostAnassi, on 03 September 2014 - 03:47 PM, said:

So, I've decided to illustrate the issue. Following is a picture of the center torso loadout of my Misery with an STD 300 engine mounted:

http://i.imgur.com/OGE0OtZ.jpg

Alright, as you will notice there are two things. First, the bar in the engine description now shows a "2". This means that the engine itself can hold two more heatsinks than the ten that are already installed internally and that cannot be interacted with by any means. Second, the two "doubles" you see at the bottom of the icons means that I have currently two additional double heatsinks installed for a grand total of 12 in the engine. This is possible because it is a 300 engine that according to the formula can hold a total of 300 / 25 = 12 heatsinks.

The bar graph on the description only shows how many additional heat sinks you can cram in, AFTER it's ten internal.

On your Mad Cat you will see that there are five additional heatsinks (to the 10 internal) installed, seeing as the Cat has a 375 engine installed (375 / 25 = 15). They will, however, be grayed out because the Clan Omnimechs have fixed engines and upgrades that cannot be tooled with at all.

PGI's oh so intuitive interface strikes again. Thanks for the visual aid, hope this helps OP

Edited by LauLiao, 04 September 2014 - 02:28 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users