Ams Must Change

55 replies to this topic

#1 ArmandTulsen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two....

...But you shouldn't.

There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option.

I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT.

Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

#2 wolf74

• 1,272 posts
  • LocationMidland, TX

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

I just wish my AMSes would not all shot at the SAME missile, A Triple AMS Kitfox and all 3 are shooting the Same missile in a Large wave.

#3 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Wolf - that's weird, I would have sworn there was a post around here somewhere indicating that the AMS logic was improved so that didn't happen.

#4 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

One thing I'd like to see is a small reward for protecting your teammates with your ams. When you destroy missiles which were not targeted at you there could be a small bonus.
This would give support players a little bit more reward for their work.

Also it wouldn't hurt if IS and Clan ams systems had the same amount of ammo per ton.

#5 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

This is a terrible idea. Heck, I don't even like the idea of a toggle anymore because people would be selfish and hurt their team, and by extension, themselves. A simple increase in AMS ammo to make it so it lasts about as long as it used to would be best. It would encourage people to bring AMS and in turn help quiet some of the LRM crying.

I also like the idea of being rewarded for bringing AMS to help your team.

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

One thing I'd like to see is a small reward for protecting your teammates with your ams. When you destroy missiles which were not targeted at you there could be a small bonus.

Also it wouldn't hurt if IS and Clan ams systems had the same amount of ammo per ton.

Great idea. Maybe the increase in ammo could be tied in with the AMS modules? Something about improving targeting logic, making the AMS system more ammo efficient.

#7 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:33 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

With the advent of Clan LRMs it's folly to carry only one ton of AMS ammo. You need at least two....

...But you shouldn't.

My CPLT-C1 has 2xLRM15's. It needs 6tons of ammo to be viable...

...But it shouldn't.

#8 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 27 August 2014 - 02:39 PM, said:

You already are. By making them live longer (as well as your self) You're more likely to win and get more points.

#9 zortesh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 624 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

View Postwolf74, on 27 August 2014 - 02:17 PM, said:

I just wish my AMSes would not all shot at the SAME missile, A Triple AMS Kitfox and all 3 are shooting the Same missile in a Large wave.

Ams does not actully shoot at missiles, its more a magic bubble that does so much damage a second to a missile till it blows up, the visual effects don't actually indicate anything.... thats why it can shoot down missiles through solid walls or from the basement on hpg.

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

View Postverybad, on 27 August 2014 - 03:44 PM, said:

You already are. By making them live longer (as well as your self) You're more likely to win and get more points.

Then by this logic take away damage exp to? Some of the arguements on this forum really make me wonder.

#11 ArmandTulsen

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:11 PM

View PostWolfways, on 27 August 2014 - 03:33 PM, said:

My CPLT-C1 has 2xLRM15's. It needs 6tons of ammo to be viable...

...But it shouldn't.

With LRMs you choose who you shoot your missiles at and when, so this clever comparison isn't so clever at all.

#12 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

Can we make it where my ams only fires when missiles target me but everyone else's ams still fires when they target me? haha

Edited by Monkey Lover, 27 August 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#13 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

Posted Image

#14 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

...But you shouldn't.

There has already been talk of AMS toggle, but something else that really needs to change is AMS affecting missiles that target only YOU. At least, make it an option.

I know that this is a team game, but more often than not my AMS ammo gets burned through by Clan LRMs that aren't even targeting me, then when it's my turn for the LRM rain I'm rather.. fucT.

Please change AMS so that it affects only missiles locked on you. And, of course, the toggle is important too.

Just so you understand how "Improved" AMS is, on TT, if you fired your AMS once you roll a d6 to see how many of your 6 total reloads were used.

And 2 tons of AMS ammo was required for AMS since Closed Beta. :)

#15 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:31 PM

If there was a toggle to turn AMS on/off, I'd carry it for the benefit of the team and whatnot but as it stands...I won't. Gives away your position too much and I'm not overly concerned by LRMs.

#16 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostArmandTulsen, on 27 August 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

With LRMs you choose who you shoot your missiles at and when, so this clever comparison isn't so clever at all.

You obviously missed the point.

The complaint was about having to carry extra ammo...which is a problem for all ammo-based weapons.
Except of course in the case of AMS 1ton is enough to do its job. It's up to the individual to decide how many missiles they want to shoot down. i.e. how much ammo to use.

But anyway, what you are asking for is to be able to avoid helping your team by making AMS only protect you which imo is a bad idea.

#17 Mobile Ordnance Platform

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:41 PM

we really need AMS toggle
even if it had a 4 second delay or something that would be fine so u cant abuse it

so much ammo is just burned away uselessly because of the game mechanics that cant be helped

surely a mechwarrior can deactivate the AMS system from inside the cockpit ??
if its always on imagine the terror if u parked your 3 AMS kitfox next to a civilian kite flying competition..

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostGamerGirlGundam, on 27 August 2014 - 05:41 PM, said:

we really need AMS toggle
even if it had a 4 second delay or something that would be fine so u cant abuse it

so much ammo is just burned away uselessly because of the game mechanics that cant be helped

surely a mechwarrior can deactivate the AMS system from inside the cockpit ??
if its always on imagine the terror if u parked your 3 AMS kitfox next to a civilian kite flying competition..

In Battletech, AMS is activated manually.

"Incoming."
"Activate AMS."
"Sir! (Excuses for not doing it)."
"Eject! Eject!"
"(Still stating excuse and boom dies by LRMs.)"

Welp... maybe it's better as automatic. But a toggle would be nice.

I just realized... Technically that Nova Cat got spawn-killed/camped. Ouch.

#19 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

View PostSorbic, on 27 August 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

This is a terrible idea. Heck, I don't even like the idea of a toggle anymore because people would be selfish and hurt their team, and by extension, themselves.

A toggle is required by those who like to get close to the enemy unseen.

#20 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Actually, I'm morbidly curious... On my previous post if anyone can make it out, what exactly is the reason the Nova Cat pilot doesn't activate her AMS? The pilot is saying why but I can't understand it. Quote me and lemme know if you do know / can understand it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users